Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Does Tiger Woods need golf more than golf needs Tiger Woods?

276 replies to this topic

#61 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,046 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77664
GolfWRX Likes : 12774

Posted 22 September 2017 - 03:21 PM

Only 240 more yards to go!

http://news.tigerwoo...p-preview-2017/

Hi everyone. Before giving you an update, I want to express my sympathy and concern for all who have been affected by hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Maria and the earthquake in Mexico. Many lives have been lost, families disrupted and displaced, and I want to send my sincere condolences. I want to thank all the first responders and volunteers who continue to provide assistance to those in need during these difficult times.

I think everyone on the PGA Tour has a connection to someone in one of the geographic areas that got hit. I designed a golf course outside of Houston (Bluejack National) and have friends in the area, as well as throughout Florida and up into Georgia and South Carolina. The damage to their homes, power outages and debris has been staggering. Stay strong. We are all behind you.

As I wrote earlier this summer, I had a few matters to work on with my doctors and I did that.  I’m feeling good, strong and doing really well.  About my most recent surgery, it’s nice not to live in pain anymore. I’m sleeping better because I don’t have any nerve pain going down my leg. It makes a world of difference.

I’m starting to hit the ball a little further – 60-yard shots. I have not taken a full swing since my back fusion surgery last April, but continue to chip and putt every day.

The latter is paying off. Justin Thomas and Rickie Fowler have been dropping by my house for putting contests. Justin also comes over to practice his chipping. It was fun to celebrate his PGA Championship win with him and Rickie, and we had a blast.

I have my six-month back X-rays coming up. Once my surgeon takes a look, he’ll give me the parameters of what I can do moving forward.

I’m working out six days a week, alternating between the treadmill, bike riding, swimming and lifting twice a day. My muscle tone is coming back, but I’m not in golf shape yet. That’s going to take time.

Playing wise, I’m not looking ahead yet because I don’t know what kind of swing I’m going to use. I just don’t know what my body is going to allow me to do. Until I do, I’m going to listen to my doctors and continue to take it slowly.

I am fired up for the Presidents Cup next week. It will be great to be around the guys and try to help our team any way I can to win. I had a blast doing it last year at the Ryder Cup and we have another great captain in Steve Stricker. We tried to keep the band together with Jim Furyk, Davis Love III and myself, and added Fred Couples, to maintain consistency and unity.

We have a young team and quite a few first-timers. But they’re solid guys and have played well all year. My biggest responsibility is to do whatever the captain asks me to do.

There is a big difference between assisting with the Presidents Cup versus the Ryder Cup. I think it may be more difficult because there are more pairings going out. You have to find more teams and there are different rules. For instance, if you played Thursday and Friday, you could sit out Saturday. Before, you had to play every day.  Also, I’ve never been through selecting pairings and we have a time limit. I’m trying to understand that.

As for a team theme, it’s too early because a lot of these guys are playing for $10 million in the FedExCup. You don’t want to bombard them with information. They’re a little bit tired and beat up. I know that Stricks has done a couple dinners with the guys and some played a practice round at Liberty National. We’re just trying to keep it to a minimum but also keep them informed.

My biggest takeaway from the Ryder Cup last year was that as a player, it’s very simple: all you have to do is get ready to play fourball and foursomes, and know who you might play with. That’s it. As an assistant captain, you’re in charge of the wives, girlfriends, families, caddies and individuals that support the golfers. It’s a lot more organizational work than I was used to as a player.

I have watched some of the FedExCup Playoffs, and I think they’re working. They’re trying to capture excitement and that’s great. It seems like the guys are playing well, but if you read between the lines of their interviews, it sounds like they are pretty tired.

My TGR Design golf courses are coming along nicely. Last month I made a site visit to Payne’s Valley, our first public golf course design in the U.S, with my son, Charlie and our team.  Grassing just began on the first nine holes, so we’re making good progress. Charlie and I also did some bass fishing in the nearby lakes and it was awesome. I want to thank Johnny Morris for selecting us to design this course and for a fun and productive visit.

We recently visited Jack’s Bay, our newest project located in South Eleuthera,  Bahamas. Construction has just begun on “The Playgrounds”, a 10-hole short course ideal for families, kids and beginners.  This is the third short course I have designed and I feel they are hugely important for the growth of golf.  Jack’s Bay is on such a great piece of land and it’s pretty special to have such phenomenal views of the Atlantic Ocean from every hole.

Things are also progressing in Chicago (South Shore & Jackson Park Golf Course Restoration), Dubai (Trump World Golf Club Dubai), and Cabo (Diamante Cabo San Lucas). We’re excited about all our projects.

My foundation has two important tournaments coming up: the Tiger Woods Invitational presented by USLI next month at Pebble Beach, California, and the Hero World Challenge, Nov. 27-Dec. 3 at Albany, Bahamas. I want to thank Tom Nerny at USLI and Pawan Munjal at Hero for their friendship and on-going support.

Thanks to all of our sponsors for your continued loyalty and help. You allow us to make a tremendous impact on the lives of underserved youth, and we couldn’t do it without you.

Congratulations to Billy Payne, the outgoing Chairman at Augusta National Golf Club. He expanded the positive role of the Club and Tournament in golf in many ways, and maintained the goals of past Chairmen including Mr. Roberts and co-founder Bobby Jones.

All of the players are looking forward to becoming better acquainted with his successor, Fred Ridley. He’s an accomplished player and I look for him to be more instrumental on the golf course side of things and how it plays.

A shout-out to Juli Inkster and the U.S. Solheim Cup team for playing so well. I got to know Inky at Stanford when I was in college because she would practice there a lot. I have followed her career and she’s been incredibly successful, so it’s pretty neat to watch. She can still play and is one of the most competitive people I have ever met.

I’d also like to congratulate Maverick McNealy and our U.S. Walker Cup Team. He went 4-0 to help us win, and another ex-Stanford standout, David Boote of England, played for the European Team. Both have turned pro and I wish them all the best.

The first year is the most difficult because you are at a tremendous disadvantage unless they go to a new golf course. If not, you’re behind the eight ball learning the course. Not only have most of the guys seen it, they’ve seen it under different conditions, which is a tremendous help. They also know where to eat and stay.

While I’m handing out compliments, how about Rafael Nadal winning the U.S. Open for his 16th Grand Slam title? We text all the time and I took my kids to New York to watch him play. I basically tried to stay out of his way and gave him space. I tried to explain to my kids how hard he played on each and every point. I think they finally understood after watching him. He never gives up on a point and never throws one away. He plays all out. I truly admire what he does.

One cool thing I did was watch the eclipse in Tennessee with my kids. It was pretty neat to see the darkness coming and then how everything went quiet. No birds chirping, no noise whatsoever. As it left, you could hear nature wake-up again.

I’m very excited about the 2-0 start by the Raiders. All we have to do is keep Derek Carr upright and we’ve got a great chance. Last year, we were one of the favorites going into the playoffs if Derek hadn’t broken his leg. Our entire team is pretty talented. We can beat you different ways, but it’s just a matter of staying healthy.

One thing I’d like to do is recognize my sponsors. They’ve been amazing and I really appreciate them standing by me. No matter what, their support hasn’t waned a bit.

Finally, thanks to my fans for your patience and encouragement. The last two years have been challenging and I have gone through a great deal. But you have always been there for me and I can’t thank you enough.

Take care.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#62 bladehunter

bladehunter

Cubs win ! Cubs win!

• Advanced Members
  • 13,102 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291449
  • Handicap:NONE
GolfWRX Likes : 11386

Posted 22 September 2017 - 04:18 PM

View Postbscinstnct, on 22 September 2017 - 03:21 PM, said:

Only 240 more yards to go!

http://news.tigerwoo...p-preview-2017/

Hi everyone. Before giving you an update, I want to express my sympathy and concern for all who have been affected by hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Maria and the earthquake in Mexico. Many lives have been lost, families disrupted and displaced, and I want to send my sincere condolences. I want to thank all the first responders and volunteers who continue to provide assistance to those in need during these difficult times.

I think everyone on the PGA Tour has a connection to someone in one of the geographic areas that got hit. I designed a golf course outside of Houston (Bluejack National) and have friends in the area, as well as throughout Florida and up into Georgia and South Carolina. The damage to their homes, power outages and debris has been staggering. Stay strong. We are all behind you.

As I wrote earlier this summer, I had a few matters to work on with my doctors and I did that.  Iím feeling good, strong and doing really well.  About my most recent surgery, itís nice not to live in pain anymore. Iím sleeping better because I donít have any nerve pain going down my leg. It makes a world of difference.

Iím starting to hit the ball a little further Ė 60-yard shots. I have not taken a full swing since my back fusion surgery last April, but continue to chip and putt every day.

The latter is paying off. Justin Thomas and Rickie Fowler have been dropping by my house for putting contests. Justin also comes over to practice his chipping. It was fun to celebrate his PGA Championship win with him and Rickie, and we had a blast.

I have my six-month back X-rays coming up. Once my surgeon takes a look, heíll give me the parameters of what I can do moving forward.

Iím working out six days a week, alternating between the treadmill, bike riding, swimming and lifting twice a day. My muscle tone is coming back, but Iím not in golf shape yet. Thatís going to take time.

Playing wise, Iím not looking ahead yet because I donít know what kind of swing Iím going to use. I just donít know what my body is going to allow me to do. Until I do, Iím going to listen to my doctors and continue to take it slowly.

I am fired up for the Presidents Cup next week. It will be great to be around the guys and try to help our team any way I can to win. I had a blast doing it last year at the Ryder Cup and we have another great captain in Steve Stricker. We tried to keep the band together with Jim Furyk, Davis Love III and myself, and added Fred Couples, to maintain consistency and unity.

We have a young team and quite a few first-timers. But theyíre solid guys and have played well all year. My biggest responsibility is to do whatever the captain asks me to do.

There is a big difference between assisting with the Presidents Cup versus the Ryder Cup. I think it may be more difficult because there are more pairings going out. You have to find more teams and there are different rules. For instance, if you played Thursday and Friday, you could sit out Saturday. Before, you had to play every day.  Also, Iíve never been through selecting pairings and we have a time limit. Iím trying to understand that.

As for a team theme, itís too early because a lot of these guys are playing for $10 million in the FedExCup. You donít want to bombard them with information. Theyíre a little bit tired and beat up. I know that Stricks has done a couple dinners with the guys and some played a practice round at Liberty National. Weíre just trying to keep it to a minimum but also keep them informed.

My biggest takeaway from the Ryder Cup last year was that as a player, itís very simple: all you have to do is get ready to play fourball and foursomes, and know who you might play with. Thatís it. As an assistant captain, youíre in charge of the wives, girlfriends, families, caddies and individuals that support the golfers. Itís a lot more organizational work than I was used to as a player.

I have watched some of the FedExCup Playoffs, and I think theyíre working. Theyíre trying to capture excitement and thatís great. It seems like the guys are playing well, but if you read between the lines of their interviews, it sounds like they are pretty tired.

My TGR Design golf courses are coming along nicely. Last month I made a site visit to Payneís Valley, our first public golf course design in the U.S, with my son, Charlie and our team.  Grassing just began on the first nine holes, so weíre making good progress. Charlie and I also did some bass fishing in the nearby lakes and it was awesome. I want to thank Johnny Morris for selecting us to design this course and for a fun and productive visit.

We recently visited Jackís Bay, our newest project located in South Eleuthera,  Bahamas. Construction has just begun on ďThe PlaygroundsĒ, a 10-hole short course ideal for families, kids and beginners.  This is the third short course I have designed and I feel they are hugely important for the growth of golf.  Jackís Bay is on such a great piece of land and itís pretty special to have such phenomenal views of the Atlantic Ocean from every hole.

Things are also progressing in Chicago (South Shore & Jackson Park Golf Course Restoration), Dubai (Trump World Golf Club Dubai), and Cabo (Diamante Cabo San Lucas). Weíre excited about all our projects.

My foundation has two important tournaments coming up: the Tiger Woods Invitational presented by USLI next month at Pebble Beach, California, and the Hero World Challenge, Nov. 27-Dec. 3 at Albany, Bahamas. I want to thank Tom Nerny at USLI and Pawan Munjal at Hero for their friendship and on-going support.

Thanks to all of our sponsors for your continued loyalty and help. You allow us to make a tremendous impact on the lives of underserved youth, and we couldnít do it without you.

Congratulations to Billy Payne, the outgoing Chairman at Augusta National Golf Club. He expanded the positive role of the Club and Tournament in golf in many ways, and maintained the goals of past Chairmen including Mr. Roberts and co-founder Bobby Jones.

All of the players are looking forward to becoming better acquainted with his successor, Fred Ridley. Heís an accomplished player and I look for him to be more instrumental on the golf course side of things and how it plays.

A shout-out to Juli Inkster and the U.S. Solheim Cup team for playing so well. I got to know Inky at Stanford when I was in college because she would practice there a lot. I have followed her career and sheís been incredibly successful, so itís pretty neat to watch. She can still play and is one of the most competitive people I have ever met.

Iíd also like to congratulate Maverick McNealy and our U.S. Walker Cup Team. He went 4-0 to help us win, and another ex-Stanford standout, David Boote of England, played for the European Team. Both have turned pro and I wish them all the best.

The first year is the most difficult because you are at a tremendous disadvantage unless they go to a new golf course. If not, youíre behind the eight ball learning the course. Not only have most of the guys seen it, theyíve seen it under different conditions, which is a tremendous help. They also know where to eat and stay.

While Iím handing out compliments, how about Rafael Nadal winning the U.S. Open for his 16th Grand Slam title? We text all the time and I took my kids to New York to watch him play. I basically tried to stay out of his way and gave him space. I tried to explain to my kids how hard he played on each and every point. I think they finally understood after watching him. He never gives up on a point and never throws one away. He plays all out. I truly admire what he does.

One cool thing I did was watch the eclipse in Tennessee with my kids. It was pretty neat to see the darkness coming and then how everything went quiet. No birds chirping, no noise whatsoever. As it left, you could hear nature wake-up again.

Iím very excited about the 2-0 start by the Raiders. All we have to do is keep Derek Carr upright and weíve got a great chance. Last year, we were one of the favorites going into the playoffs if Derek hadnít broken his leg. Our entire team is pretty talented. We can beat you different ways, but itís just a matter of staying healthy.

One thing Iíd like to do is recognize my sponsors. Theyíve been amazing and I really appreciate them standing by me. No matter what, their support hasnít waned a bit.

Finally, thanks to my fans for your patience and encouragement. The last two years have been challenging and I have gone through a great deal. But you have always been there for me and I canít thank you enough.

Take care.

Tiger !!!  

100% tiger couldn't handle today's pros. Good lord man.  If jason day ran across 2001 tiger on course he'd pee himself and slink over into the trees. That man was a predator plain and simple.
17 M1 440 8.5 ( tour issue head ) Fuji Atmos Black 6X ( limited WRX special addition 16/100)
17 M1 15* (tour issue head)  Graphite Design ADDI 8X  
Titleist Custom Grind 2 iron X100
Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
Vokey sm6 copper 53 Vokey 300 series 59   S400
Cameron Newport Beach CT
B330S

#63 Frostfield

Frostfield

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 227321
GolfWRX Likes : 351

Posted 22 September 2017 - 04:51 PM

That actually seemed like he wrote that....

#64 Debow

Debow

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 473806
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 22 September 2017 - 05:56 PM

View PostFrostfield, on 22 September 2017 - 04:51 PM, said:

That actually seemed like he wrote that....
Yeah, seems like he was more honest than he's ever been.

#65 Tim Schoch

Tim Schoch

Swing like it already happened.

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 551 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49536
  • Handicap:14
  • Ebay ID:DejaGolf
GolfWRX Likes : 190

Posted 22 September 2017 - 09:01 PM

If any of you have never followed a few seasons of Tiger in his prime, log out, delete this thread, and go look at video recordings. When you are done, put Justin Thomas, Jordan Spieth, or DJ in place of any of Tiger's main rivals during those tournaments. They would be crushed....like most of the players of that era were.  Only Tiger beat Tiger...except for a very few lucky guys.

So for those of us who did witness Tiger, it is extremely hard for us to get on the bandwagon of the new "young guns" or whatever the TV geeks want to call the latest wave. Over the years, there have been so many players deemed "the next greatest" who vanished quickly thereafter. Today, there are four or five, and each week they either don't show up or bonk heads seeing who will stumble into a win. Who dominates?  No one. Spieth's record is stellar at his age, but is he the dominant player of our age because he is currently enjoying a streak?  We will see. Me, I don't see the fire. Or the smoke.

Actually, I hate this kind of discussion and speculation, as if there "should" be a dominant player better than Tiger. Nevermind.

Edited by Tim Schoch, 24 September 2017 - 08:52 AM.

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

WIMB
TaylorMade Burner driver 10.5* REAX Reg
TaylorMade Burner 3-wood 15* REAX Reg
TaylorMade Burner 5-wood 18* REAX Reg
Hogan Apex Edge 4-E, SW, LW - Apex Edge 3 Graphite
Ping Pal 4 BeCu or Odyssey 2-Ball Blade putter

#66 fowlerscousin

fowlerscousin

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 278691
GolfWRX Likes : 169

Posted 23 September 2017 - 12:46 AM

I don't think any significant number of people would disagree that tiger is by far the most dominant and talented in the modern era.

#67 new2g0lf

new2g0lf

Major Winner

• 1,648 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114437
GolfWRX Likes : 984

Posted 23 September 2017 - 12:55 AM

View PostShilgy, on 22 September 2017 - 12:41 PM, said:

View Postnew2g0lf, on 22 September 2017 - 07:47 AM, said:

People remember Tiger at his best, dominating the Tour, that's what they want back but the Tour has changed and I'm not sure a 100% healthy Tiger still has the skills to keep up with the young guns.
50% Tiger won 5 times four years ago.  I reluctantly will acknowledge I don't believe it will happen but if healthy and the desire is back he would win on tour again.  Dominate is another question as I don't think he would be 100% and over 40 year olds rarely dominate on tour in any era.

I wasn't taking anything away from Tiger in his prime.  I was stating that even if he came back today at 100% I don't know if he'd dominate.  I think he could win but not near the pace he had been prior to his marriage problems.

#68 MountainGoat

MountainGoat

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 450210
GolfWRX Likes : 413

Posted 23 September 2017 - 04:51 AM

I always believe drug abusers when they tell me how well they're doing.

#69 Tim Schoch

Tim Schoch

• 551 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2017 - 09:09 AM

View PostMountainGoat, on 23 September 2017 - 04:51 AM, said:

I like to believe people grow from their mistakes.
- Groucho Marx

WIMB

#70 JonnyKrasnodar

JonnyKrasnodar

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 440224
GolfWRX Likes : 340

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:15 AM

Golf doesn't need Tiger, some golf fans need Tiger though and it's sad. Stuck in a moment in time.

Tiger must need golf because his press releases show a worrying denial far worse than what you see in other sports. I mean hitting 70 yard pitches? Not interested unless he's going to take part in world pitch and putt Championships. After 9 months if that's all he can do, then it's over competitively.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#71 PGArox

PGArox

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,429 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89725
GolfWRX Likes : 4855

Posted 23 September 2017 - 12:39 PM

View PostBlackDiamondPar5, on 21 September 2017 - 09:18 PM, said:

View PostTim Schoch, on 21 September 2017 - 07:21 PM, said:

We we are in two camps.  1, what we hope will happen and we'd like to see.  2, what we realistically think might happen.  

1, Tiger comes roaring back for a short time, wins a few times and humiliates the "young guns," then goes out in style.
2, Tiger announces his retirement

IMO...he's hoping to compete again, but even if he can't, it is too early to retire. If he can get in shape by the time he's 50, he wants to eat the Champions Tour and all its records alive.
Then again Phil may mop the floor with Tiger on the champions tour.

Since Boston '07 Phil has owned Tiger on the course.  Remember the 64-75 shellacking at Pebble Beach?  This would continue on the Geriatric TOUR.

It would be perfect to see all the Tiger fanboys watching the Geriatric TOUR instead of the Big Show simply because Tiger was on it, using a wheelchair to go hole to hole. 🤣

#72 PGArox

PGArox

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,429 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89725
GolfWRX Likes : 4855

Posted 23 September 2017 - 12:43 PM

View PostTim Schoch, on 23 September 2017 - 09:09 AM, said:

The sun will come out tomorrow, so you've got to hang on 'til tomorrow ...

#73 Tim Schoch

Tim Schoch

• 551 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2017 - 02:53 PM

View PostPGArox, on 23 September 2017 - 12:43 PM, said:

The sun will come out tomorrow, so you've got to hang on 'til tomorrow ...

Exactly right. Boom.
- Groucho Marx

WIMB

#74 farmer

farmer

Hall of Fame

• 6,283 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70095
GolfWRX Likes : 2224

Posted 23 September 2017 - 05:52 PM

Why is he working out six days a week and lifting twice a day?  He needs to rehab and regain strength, but that sounds like too much work and not enough rest.

#75 Vespar

Vespar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 374037
  • Handicap:3.5
GolfWRX Likes : 76

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:55 PM

Golf has been fine before Tiger woods and will be fine after...its that simple. No one is bigger than the game itself, no one.

And please don't razz me of how much he has done for the game and grown the game, it was a perfect storm when he played, network coverage grew, advertising revenues grew, many millions of people watch tiger woods. A very high percentage of those millions never so much as lifted a club- but they did watch. Over all participation levels remained flat to down during his tenure

#76 tripnipp

tripnipp

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35729
  • Ebay ID:tripnipp
GolfWRX Likes : 54

Posted 23 September 2017 - 09:25 PM

I think Tiger's a shower, not a grower..

#77 Tim Schoch

Tim Schoch

• 551 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2017 - 09:26 PM

View PostVespar, on 23 September 2017 - 08:55 PM, said:

Golf has been fine before Tiger woods and will be fine after...its that simple. No one is bigger than the game itself, no one.

And please don't razz me of how much he has done for the game and grown the game, it was a perfect storm when he played, network coverage grew, advertising revenues grew, many millions of people watch tiger woods. A very high percentage of those millions never so much as lifted a club- but they did watch. Over all participation levels remained flat to down during his tenure

Agree with some of this, but Tiger was (and is) bigger than the game. No doubt. He can move and shake it with mere words. The "perfect storm" is a negative term, referring to disaster (didn't you watch the movie??). So, I wouldn't use it here. He infused the game with the excitement of a super hero, which excited the media to talk about him and golf, which attracted advertisers and galleries and products and services, etc. Maybe we're all forgetting (or are too young to remember) how extraordinarily great he was.

He grew awareness of the game, but the game's expense is still out of reach of a lot of families in this country, particularly if you are a beginner (or a senior like me--I can't afford to play as often as I want, and I'm not poor.)  To grow the game, the focus should be on school programs, more par-3 courses in communities that are inexpensive.

There are dozens and dozens of ideas that can help, and positive spokespeople like Rickey Fowler and others are magnets to the game.

Edited by Tim Schoch, 23 September 2017 - 09:28 PM.

- Groucho Marx

WIMB

#78 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 19,046 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2017 - 09:38 PM

You have seen guys trying to make this shot on the PGA Tour for your whole life.

250 yard cut *into* a pin tucked against the right side.

They all #!$@ it up.

Nobody *ever* makes this shot.

Cept ; )

Edited by bscinstnct, 23 September 2017 - 10:14 PM.

#79 Matt J

Matt J

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,682 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 339857
GolfWRX Likes : 10872

Posted 23 September 2017 - 09:42 PM

I don't know that either "need" the other, as in would not survive without the other.

I do think they are both better with the other.

I like the update from Tiger.  The design work, co-captaining the prez cup team, each show he still has passion for golf.

#80 grm24

grm24

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4801
GolfWRX Likes : 894

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:19 PM

View PostPGArox, on 23 September 2017 - 12:39 PM, said:

Since Boston '07 Phil has owned Tiger on the course.  Remember the 64-75 shellacking at Pebble Beach?
LMAO. I guess you are speaking of Phil having a better record in head to heads for one round score when paired with Tiger. Totally irrelevant when comparing careers. Guess Phil fans have to hang their hat on something. That Boston event really hurt Tiger. He only won the next two events in finishing 1-1-2-1-1 in a five event run. Care to compare tour wins of Tiger from Boston 2007 to present? Phil loses. Bigly. Phil has never owned Tiger in on course results.

Official PGA Tour wins since Boston 2007 - TW 21, PM 12

Interesting that TW has won (Bridgestone 2013) more recently on the PGA Tour than Phil (Open Championship). I'm not a Tiger fan but the numbers don't lie. Especially since Tiger accomplished his win totals in far fewer events than Phil.

Since Tigers last win he has played 30 events without a win. Phil is at 94 and counting.

Phil is an all time great. Without a doubt. However his numbers on the course will always and forever pale in comparison to Tiger. That's not Phils fault. It's simply a testament to how great Tiger was. Since Tiger turned pro in September 1996 the win totals compared to Phil on the PGA Tour are 79-33 and 14-5 in majors. To say nothing of awards won. I still expect Phil to win again on tour. Hell if Craig Stadler, DL3 and Fred Funk won on PGA Tour after age 50 Phil can do it as well. I would be surprised if he didn't.

For all of the winning that Phil and VJ did since Tiger turned pro their combined numbers are simply dwarfed by what Tiger accomplished. No amount of parsed spin can change that.

Edited by grm24, 24 September 2017 - 10:11 AM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#81 Br1828

Br1828

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 208241
  • Ebay ID:Br1828
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:49 PM

Very interested topic. My buddies and I were having this exact conversation today

#82 Mr Mizuno

Mr Mizuno

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3046
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:53 AM

View Posttripnipp, on 23 September 2017 - 09:25 PM, said:

I think Tiger's a shower, not a grower..

I see what you did there... :busted_cop:

#83 Carl Spackler3

Carl Spackler3

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136528
GolfWRX Likes : 267

Posted 24 September 2017 - 09:58 AM

Golf needs a Tiger more, as a personality now. Years ago as a player.

#84 Tim Schoch

Tim Schoch

• 551 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 10:23 AM

View PostCarl Spackler3, on 24 September 2017 - 09:58 AM, said:

Golf needs a Tiger more, as a personality now. Years ago as a player.

Again, that is not to say that anyone today equals or comes close to Tiger as a player. No, we don't "need" a dominant player to create good drama on tour. But I miss it, and others do too, and sometime, some youngster will step in and get it done.

What we have now are hot flashes that cool off, then maybe get hot again (many who were once dubbed the next of the greats we have not heard from recently, like Keegan, Webb, Camillo, Anthony Kim, and many others--that's just good TV hype to keep viewership up. I love it, but that's their job. In fact, I think the LPGA could use some of that drama and hype instead of the god-awful boring commentators they have now.)

Anyway, the state of PGA Tour golf on TV right now is very good and entertaining. We have great shotmakers, good people, even good friendships.

I'm hoping someone will adopt my suggestion of expanding the long drive championship to include ALL clubs.  200-250 yard wedge shots?  Now that would be dominant.
- Groucho Marx

WIMB

#85 disco111

disco111

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 386826
  • Handicap:7
  • Ebay ID:N/A
GolfWRX Likes : 352

Posted 24 September 2017 - 11:43 AM

200-250 yard wedge shots?

Works for me, I can blade it with the best of them.............. :cheesy:

#86 Symeon Star-Eyes

Symeon Star-Eyes

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 472844
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:15 PM

The game doesn't "need" Tiger anymore.  He had his time in the sun, and now the game has evolved and moved forward without him.  If he were ever to return and in decent form, it would be another great storyline to add in.  But the show will go on regardless.

#87 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 19,046 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:50 PM

View PostSymeon Star-Eyes, on 24 September 2017 - 05:15 PM, said:

The game doesn't "need" Tiger anymore.  He had his time in the sun, and now the game has evolved and moved forward without him.  If he were ever to return and in decent form, it would be another great storyline to add in.  But the show will go on regardless.

*iregardless.

What are you igurant?

#88 drbonesvt

drbonesvt

Hall of Fame

• 6,784 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 141067
  • Handicap:WIP
GolfWRX Likes : 1429

Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:20 PM

I think his brand / biz interest need it more than he wants it
M2 17' 9.5* (xxKxx / v2) AD TP tour 8TX (Tipped 1") @ 44-7/8"
M2 16'(Tour issue DF) 14.6* ADDI 9x (Tippd 2') 43" |
Titleist 2i 17* T-MB GD Tour AD DI 105x | <
*testing shafts*Mizuno MP18 3-PW (48* PW)DG x7 or x100 (2* weak)
54* SM5 S Grind (10*) DG TI S400 |60* SM5 Raw M Grind (8*) DG TI S400
Bettinardi BB8 Tri-plane Sight Dot / Blank Sole 34" Iomic
Zcord Tour Issue .580 Ribbed sans wedges
all woods & 2i hot melted WITB Link

#89 Tim Schoch

Tim Schoch

• 551 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:01 PM

View PostSymeon Star-Eyes, on 24 September 2017 - 05:15 PM, said:

What golf needs is A Tiger...someone to carry the torch of an extraordinary and consistent player to excite the masses. We don't need THE Tiger, but it sure would be nice if the greatest player was more visible.  

And that is all I'm saying on this silly topic. You hate Tiger or you love him, you saw the hysteric fervor his genius play created in the sport or you never saw him play at all...so what. Love golf in your own way and you'll never be wrong.

Edited by Tim Schoch, 24 September 2017 - 07:09 PM.

- Groucho Marx

WIMB

#90 golfheaven69

golfheaven69

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16985
GolfWRX Likes : 203

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:21 PM

Tour implementing drug testing. Tiger's history.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors