Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * - - 7 votes

TaylorMade M3 and M4 Drivers and Metalwoods


1361 replies to this topic

#1021 lordemsworth

lordemsworth

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 208167
  • Joined: 10/22/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 189

Posted 18 February 2018 - 06:31 PM

View Postzip7111, on 18 February 2018 - 05:43 PM, said:

Why have all the M4 drivers I have looked at seem to flop open?  I have been to 3 different stores, and some of these heads look like they are 4* open at address.  None of the 2017 m2's flop open like this.

I read because of the twist face.  It’s an illusion at the toe which makes it seem more open than it is.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#1022 RB Golfer

RB Golfer

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 301135
  • Joined: 03/11/2014
  • Location:San Diego
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 18 February 2018 - 07:37 PM

Black tie is good stiff tip shaft.

2

#1023 shakey

shakey

    OvenWRX 1

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,658 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60434
  • Joined: 07/14/2008
  • Location:GA
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 2452

Posted 18 February 2018 - 07:52 PM

View PostDunny51, on 18 February 2018 - 05:45 PM, said:

I went to taylormade demo day at GG today to get fit for an M4 fairway, they only had atmos red 6s shaft for M4 and told me I needed a fairway shaft with a stiffer tip. I know nothing about shafts. What no upcharge shaft has a stiffer tip? They also said they should be getting more demos with different shafts. Tensei?
Not sure in exact specs, but look at the Matrix Black Tie and the HZRDUS Black. Maybe even the Tensei White.
TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 Stiff
TM M3 3HL  w/Diamana Ahina 70 Stiff
NIKE VR Pro II Hybrid 3 (21) w/PX Graphite 5.5
NIKE Vapor PC 4-PW w/DGS300

TM Milled Grind Black 52 SB and 58 LB w/Modus Tour 125 Wedge
TM TP Black Copper Mullen 2
TM TP5x

3

#1024 therealjonzone

therealjonzone

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 212011
  • Joined: 11/19/2012
  • Location:Canada
  • Handicap:2.9
GolfWRX Likes : 682

Posted 18 February 2018 - 08:25 PM

View Postzip7111, on 18 February 2018 - 05:43 PM, said:

Why have all the M4 drivers I have looked at seem to flop open?  I have been to 3 different stores, and some of these heads look like they are 4* open at address.  None of the 2017 m2's flop open like this.

The M4 I have seen looked 3* Open as well at 10.5*

4

#1025 9ccat9

9ccat9

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91757
  • Joined: 08/14/2009
  • Handicap:2.7
GolfWRX Likes : 163

Posted 18 February 2018 - 08:51 PM

M4 D head even looks a bit open.

TM M2D 10.5 Graphite Design DI 6X Black
TM P790 3-4 Fujikura Tour Spec 115i
TM P770 5-PW KBS $Taper 120 Black
TM MG Antique Bronze 52SB 56SB Tour Issue ATV 60
Scotty Cameron Studio Select 2.6
TM Masters Stand Bag
TM TP5X balls

5

#1026 Dunny51

Dunny51

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 450288
  • Joined: 12/31/2016
  • Location:Pittsburgh, Pa
  • Handicap:16
  • Ebay ID:Dunny5151
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 18 February 2018 - 09:45 PM

View Postshakey, on 18 February 2018 - 07:52 PM, said:

View PostDunny51, on 18 February 2018 - 05:45 PM, said:

I went to taylormade demo day at GG today to get fit for an M4 fairway, they only had atmos red 6s shaft for M4 and told me I needed a fairway shaft with a stiffer tip. I know nothing about shafts. What no upcharge shaft has a stiffer tip? They also said they should be getting more demos with different shafts. Tensei?
Not sure in exact specs, but look at the Matrix Black Tie and the HZRDUS Black. Maybe even the Tensei White.
Ok thanks, hopefully they have those options to demo soon

6

#1027 tbone18

tbone18

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93319
  • Joined: 08/30/2009
  • Location:COLUMBUS, OHIO
  • Handicap:+0.2
GolfWRX Likes : 44

Posted 19 February 2018 - 10:27 PM

View PostDunny51, on 18 February 2018 - 09:45 PM, said:

View Postshakey, on 18 February 2018 - 07:52 PM, said:

View PostDunny51, on 18 February 2018 - 05:45 PM, said:

I went to taylormade demo day at GG today to get fit for an M4 fairway, they only had atmos red 6s shaft for M4 and told me I needed a fairway shaft with a stiffer tip. I know nothing about shafts. What no upcharge shaft has a stiffer tip? They also said they should be getting more demos with different shafts. Tensei?
Not sure in exact specs, but look at the Matrix Black Tie and the HZRDUS Black. Maybe even the Tensei White.
Ok thanks, hopefully they have those options to demo soon
GG will not receive any of those shaft in the M4 fairways to demo.
PING G400 LST 8.5 / ALDILA RIP ALPHA 70 X-FLEX
MIZUNO ST 3 WOOD 15*/ TENSEI CK WHITE 70 X-FLEX
CALLAWAY Epic Hybrids 20
MIZUNO MP18 FLI-HI 4
MIURA MC-501 5-PW
CALLAWAY MD4 RAW 50,54,58
TM TP COLLECTION ARDMORE BLACK COPPER

7

#1028 coomdaddy

coomdaddy

    Rookie

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 439220
  • Joined: 09/01/2016
  • Location:Kentucky
  • Handicap:3
  • Ebay ID:coomdaddy
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 19 February 2018 - 10:46 PM

Ordered my M3 with the Rogue Silver 70 tonight.  It was the shaft that lowered my spin to a tolerable level per Trackman.  Is there some other shaft that I should have tried that gives similar performance?

Edited by coomdaddy, 19 February 2018 - 10:57 PM.


8

#1029 Makidebinens

Makidebinens

    Lynx Clan

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 439280
  • Joined: 09/02/2016
  • Location:Great White North
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 19 February 2018 - 11:12 PM

View Postcoomdaddy, on 19 February 2018 - 10:46 PM, said:

Ordered my M3 with the Rogue Silver 70 tonight.  It was the shaft that lowered my spin to a tolerable level per Trackman.  Is there some other shaft that I should have tried that gives similar performance?

I would suggest you try the Matrix Ozik Black tie 7M4. I used the Stiff 7M3 and the Xstiff 7M4. I was very happy with both. I am planning to setup with another Matrix 7M4 stiff on an 8.5 M3.
"keep it in the short Grass"

9

#1030 GolfBum82

GolfBum82

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 300537
  • Joined: 03/07/2014
  • Location:Wisconsin
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 70

Posted 19 February 2018 - 11:31 PM

I hit the M3 today......couldn’t see much difference from my ‘17 M1


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#1031 Dunny51

Dunny51

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 450288
  • Joined: 12/31/2016
  • Location:Pittsburgh, Pa
  • Handicap:16
  • Ebay ID:Dunny5151
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 19 February 2018 - 11:43 PM

View Posttbone18, on 19 February 2018 - 10:27 PM, said:

View PostDunny51, on 18 February 2018 - 09:45 PM, said:

View Postshakey, on 18 February 2018 - 07:52 PM, said:

View PostDunny51, on 18 February 2018 - 05:45 PM, said:

I went to taylormade demo day at GG today to get fit for an M4 fairway, they only had atmos red 6s shaft for M4 and told me I needed a fairway shaft with a stiffer tip. I know nothing about shafts. What no upcharge shaft has a stiffer tip? They also said they should be getting more demos with different shafts. Tensei?
Not sure in exact specs, but look at the Matrix Black Tie and the HZRDUS Black. Maybe even the Tensei White.
Ok thanks, hopefully they have those options to demo soon
GG will not receive any of those shaft in the M4 fairways to demo.
I was talking about the local taylormade reps getting them not GG.

11

#1032 Always_rough

Always_rough

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 462022
  • Joined: 04/04/2017
  • Location:Hawaii
GolfWRX Likes : 142

Posted 19 February 2018 - 11:46 PM

Anyone really noticing a difference between '17 M1 440 and M3 440?

Considering ordering a new shaft after a dramatic swing change, but might go all out for the M3 440 if it's a bit more forgiving.

Edited by Always_rough, 20 February 2018 - 01:35 AM.

Got 14 daggum golf clubs, but none of 'em hit the ball straight.

(1W) M3 440
(3W) 917 F3
(3i)    MP-18 fli hi
(4i-PW)    JPX 900 Tour
(52, 56, 60) SM6
Oven B1-01

12

#1033 Longbomber10

Longbomber10

    Rookie

  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 482028
  • Joined: 09/16/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 20 February 2018 - 04:15 PM

Just finished my trackman fitting with a taylormade rep.
To my surprise from my initial testing the 2017 m2 killed the m3 and m4. Ball speed was similar but spin much lower, dispersion and feel much better for me.
The m3 was a hook machine  for whatever reason...
Taylormade M3 460 8.5 Accra tour z rpg 472 M5
Taylormade M2 tour 15 Accra tour z Xtreme 485 M5
Nike vapor fly pro 2 iron Kbs s-taper 130 x Black
Titleist tour issue 716 Mb 3-9 kbs c-taper limited gunmetal 130 X
Vokey Sm6 raw black 48f,52f,58m c-taper gunmetal/kbs tour custom black
Taylormade tour spider DJ

13

#1034 mgasparibc

mgasparibc

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 453590
  • Joined: 01/31/2017
  • Location:NJ
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 20 February 2018 - 05:53 PM

Bought a 2016 M2 to test against my new M4 , prefer on course testing than the simulators, but will do both.
Iíll report back with numbers from a simulator and my conclusion from the on course testing within a week !

Hereís some shots:
67A03EDF-0DC1-49EE-A6E1-43247BD6A145.jpeg 744C2B48-0AAA-4913-ACF9-65F084EF5221.jpeg 2EA7D075-E7F7-406D-8B13-5F4E6F099A0C.jpeg

14

#1035 CKalma

CKalma

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 261776
  • Joined: 07/04/2013
  • Location:PNW
GolfWRX Likes : 124

Posted 20 February 2018 - 06:02 PM

Went to my course and hit both drivers today against my 2016 M2. They didn't have much of shaft selection since they recently received theit flightscope and training from the rep. The stock offerings in senior to stiff were it. So I used my shaft Aldila Rogue Silver 125 MSI 70TX tipped .5" for comparison which is fit to me. Swing speed ranges 117-122mph and I tend to hit ever so slightly down on the ball but can hit up on the ball. Numbers are all averages.

2016 M2 10.5 Aldila Rogue 125 MSI 70TX
119 mph SS
178 BS
298 carry
319 total distance
2400rpms spin
9* launch

That felt good after not playing for 5 months, although I will say I was hitting it a little low for me on the Flightscope. I don't think I saw spin leave the 2400rpm range. I absolutely love this driver/shaft combo. Okay now the competition.


1.M3 9.5 with Aldila Rogue 125 MSI 70TX
Was a no go... I couldn't get it in the air. I don't know why, I even tried to hit up on the ball. I don't remember spin #s but launch was at the highest 7*. I turned around and said "I going to need more loft."

2. M3 10.5 with Aldila Rogue 125 MSI 70TX
118 mph SS
174 BS
292 carry
310 total distance
2300rpms spin
9* launch

The M3 felt pretty good. Sound was good. Look at address was nice. I don't know if it's the silver on the crown, but the club head looks smaller at address compared to the M2. Again I was hitting it lower than I like. I also noticed my ballpeed was down a couple mph and spin also averaged 100rpm lower. Just didn't feel as good as my M2 does.

3. M4 9.5 Aldila Rogue 125 MSI 70TX
Another no go... Even lower launch compared to the M3 9.5. I remember seeing spin #s between 2800 and 3300rpms. Also the M4 looks way open in the standard setting.

4. M4 10.5 Aldila Rogue 125 MSI 70TX
117 SS
170 BS
278 carry
290 total distance
2900rpms spin
7* launch

The M4 just doesn't feel right. Not a fan of the sound either. I hit one, maybe two good shots that were similar to my M3 10.5 numbers and I also hit a couple very ugly shots. I know some would kill for those numbers, but the numbers are obviously not optimal for me. Again the M4 looks way open and I'm not one who needs or wants to look down at an extremely open face.

Overall I'm not really surprised with the results. I think the 2016 M2 is the best driver Taylormade has released in a while. I'm going to need some back up heads for sure now. The M3 10.5 was close but I don't think tinkering with the weights would make it better than my M2.

I also hit the P790 3 and 4 iron. Holy smokes. They are long, really long. 255-260 carry with the 3 iron. Thinking of replacing my UDI with P790 3 iron...

Edited by CKalma, 21 February 2018 - 02:12 AM.

TM M2 2016 10.5* Aldila Rogue 125 70TX
TM SLDR 15* Tour AD DI 8x
TM TP UDI 18* Aldila Rip Tour 115
TM 2014 MB 4-pw DG X100
TM TP EF 52* 56* 60* T.I. S400 Onyx
TM Tour Issue Murdered Spider Blade

15

#1036 jbole267

jbole267

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 458172
  • Joined: 03/10/2017
  • Location:Calgary
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 49

Posted 20 February 2018 - 06:21 PM

View PostCKalma, on 20 February 2018 - 06:02 PM, said:

Went to my course and hit both drivers today against my 2016 M2. They didn't have much of shaft selection since they recently received theit flightscope and training from the rep. The stock offerings in senior to stiff were it. So I used my shaft Aldila Rogue Silver 125 MSI 70TX tipped .5" for comparison which is fit to me. Swing speed ranges 117-122mph and I tend to hit ever so slightly down on the ball but can hit up on the ball. Numbers are all averages.

2016 M2 10.5 Aldila Rogue 125 MSI 70TX
119 mph SS
178 BS
298 carry
319 total distance
2400rpms spin
9* launch

That felt good after not playing for 5 months, although I will say I was hitting it a little low for me on the Flightscope. I don't think I saw spin leave the 2400rpm range. I absolutely love this driver/shaft combo. Okay now the competition.


1.M3 9.5 with Aldila Rogue 125 MSI 70TX
Was a no go... I couldn't get it in the air. I don't know why, I even tried to hit up on the ball. I don't remember spin #s but launch was at the highest 7*. I turned around and said "I going to need more loft."

2. M3 10.5 with Aldila Rogue 125 MSI 70TX
118 mph SS
174 BS
292 carry
310 total distance
2300rpms spin
9* launch

The M3 felt pretty good. Sound was good. Look at address was nice. I don't know if it's the silver on the crown, but the club head looks smaller at address compared to the M2. Again I was hitting it lower than I like. I also noticed my ballpeed was down a couple mph and spin also averaged 100rpm lower. Just didn't feel as good as my M2 does.

3. M4 9.5 Aldila Rogue 125 MSI 70TX
Another no go... Even lower launch compared to the M3 9.5. I remember seeing spin #s between 2800 and 3300rpms. Also the M4 looks way open in the standard setting.

4. M4 10.5 Aldila Rogue 125 MSI 70TX
117 SS
170 BS
278 carry
290 total distance
2900rpms spin
7* launch

The M4 just doesn't feel right. Not a fan of the sound either. I hit one, maybe two good shots that were similar to my M3 10.5 numbers and I also hit a couple very ugly shots. I know some would kill for those numbers, but the numbers are obviously not optimal for me. Again the M4 looks way open and I'm not one who needs or wants to look down at an extremely open face.

Overall I'm not really surprised with the results. I think the 2016 M2 is the best driver Taylormade has released in a while. I'm going to need some back up heads for sure now. The M4 10.5 was close but I don't think tinkering with the weights would make it better than my M2.

I also hit the P790 3 and 4 iron. Holy smokes. They are long, really long. 255-260 carry with the 3 iron. Thinking of replacing my UDI with P790 3 iron...

Had similar findings, but I do think the silver looks good! I would say the 460 M3 with silver looks close to as appealing from address as the 17 M1 440.
Taylormade M3 8.5 - Tour AD GP 7X / PO 70TX
Srixon Z745 - Project X 6.5
Taylormade P790 2 UDI - Hzrdus Black 6.5
Titleist Vokey Sm7 50°
Titleist Vokey Sm7 54°
Titleist Vokey Sm7 58°
Taylormade Spider Tour Black
Titleist Staff Stand
Titleist Pro V1X

16

#1037 Stanks

Stanks

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 469442
  • Joined: 05/29/2017
  • Location:San Diego
  • Handicap:?
GolfWRX Likes : 129

Posted 20 February 2018 - 08:03 PM

Gorgeous posts. I honestly can not say I hit a '16 M2. I had a '16 M1 for maybe 2 months before I traded for Epic Sub Zero which was the best decision of my golf life for that particular month. I'm excited to see how the M3 performs because lately, my Epic Sub Zero and me just ain't hanging out. It's like my side chick and my 3 Wood is the new wife. She puts out.
He is to hoping the new good stuff is as stinky as they're saying. M3 is the s***. Taking a huge whiff.

Edited by Stanks, 20 February 2018 - 08:04 PM.

Taylormade M3 10.5 / Project X Hzrdus Black 6.5 65 gram
Cobra F7 3 Wood 14.5
Cobra F7 3-4 Hybrid 19.5
Cobra MB 7-PW / CB 3-6
Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 50*
Callaway MD3 55* & PM Grind 60*.
Oydssey O-Works #9

17

#1038 RangerV

RangerV

    My ProVís are frozen

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 408510
  • Joined: 01/11/2016
  • Location:Minnesota
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 39

Posted 20 February 2018 - 08:38 PM

View PostCKalma, on 20 February 2018 - 06:02 PM, said:

Went to my course and hit both drivers today against my 2016 M2. They didn't have much of shaft selection since they recently received theit flightscope and training from the rep. The stock offerings in senior to stiff were it. So I used my shaft Aldila Rogue Silver 125 MSI 70TX tipped .5" for comparison which is fit to me. Swing speed ranges 117-122mph and I tend to hit ever so slightly down on the ball but can hit up on the ball. Numbers are all averages.

2016 M2 10.5 Aldila Rogue 125 MSI 70TX
119 mph SS
178 BS
298 carry
319 total distance
2400rpms spin
9* launch

That felt good after not playing for 5 months, although I will say I was hitting it a little low for me on the Flightscope. I don't think I saw spin leave the 2400rpm range. I absolutely love this driver/shaft combo. Okay now the competition.


1.M3 9.5 with Aldila Rogue 125 MSI 70TX
Was a no go... I couldn't get it in the air. I don't know why, I even tried to hit up on the ball. I don't remember spin #s but launch was at the highest 7*. I turned around and said "I going to need more loft."

2. M3 10.5 with Aldila Rogue 125 MSI 70TX
118 mph SS
174 BS
292 carry
310 total distance
2300rpms spin
9* launch

The M3 felt pretty good. Sound was good. Look at address was nice. I don't know if it's the silver on the crown, but the club head looks smaller at address compared to the M2. Again I was hitting it lower than I like. I also noticed my ballpeed was down a couple mph and spin also averaged 100rpm lower. Just didn't feel as good as my M2 does.

3. M4 9.5 Aldila Rogue 125 MSI 70TX
Another no go... Even lower launch compared to the M3 9.5. I remember seeing spin #s between 2800 and 3300rpms. Also the M4 looks way open in the standard setting.

4. M4 10.5 Aldila Rogue 125 MSI 70TX
117 SS
170 BS
278 carry
290 total distance
2900rpms spin
7* launch

The M4 just doesn't feel right. Not a fan of the sound either. I hit one, maybe two good shots that were similar to my M3 10.5 numbers and I also hit a couple very ugly shots. I know some would kill for those numbers, but the numbers are obviously not optimal for me. Again the M4 looks way open and I'm not one who needs or wants to look down at an extremely open face.

Overall I'm not really surprised with the results. I think the 2016 M2 is the best driver Taylormade has released in a while. I'm going to need some back up heads for sure now. The M4 10.5 was close but I don't think tinkering with the weights would make it better than my M2.

I also hit the P790 3 and 4 iron. Holy smokes. They are long, really long. 255-260 carry with the 3 iron. Thinking of replacing my UDI with P790 3 iron...
After reading earlier posts about the M3 launching higher than previous models then seeing this, I’m not sure what to think anymore. Ordered an M3 head today to go with an Elements Chrome that I had in the 16 M2. The numbers were pretty good, but something about just never felt right
2017 TM M2 w/ UST Elements Chrome 7f5t
2016 TM M2 3HL w/UST VTS Black 8X
Mizuno Mp FliHi Cut Muscle w/ TI DG X100
Mizuno Mp59 w/ TI DG X100
Titleist Vokey SM6 50* w/ DG s400
Titleist Vokey SM5 54/60* w/ DG s400
Bettinardi Studio Stock 16 w/ white Iomic

18

#1039 Redbird

Redbird

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2051
  • Joined: 06/28/2005
  • Location:The burbs of Chicago
GolfWRX Likes : 326

Posted 20 February 2018 - 09:04 PM

View PostRangerV, on 20 February 2018 - 08:38 PM, said:

View PostCKalma, on 20 February 2018 - 06:02 PM, said:

Went to my course and hit both drivers today against my 2016 M2. They didn't have much of shaft selection since they recently received theit flightscope and training from the rep. The stock offerings in senior to stiff were it. So I used my shaft Aldila Rogue Silver 125 MSI 70TX tipped .5" for comparison which is fit to me. Swing speed ranges 117-122mph and I tend to hit ever so slightly down on the ball but can hit up on the ball. Numbers are all averages.

2016 M2 10.5 Aldila Rogue 125 MSI 70TX
119 mph SS
178 BS
298 carry
319 total distance
2400rpms spin
9* launch

That felt good after not playing for 5 months, although I will say I was hitting it a little low for me on the Flightscope. I don't think I saw spin leave the 2400rpm range. I absolutely love this driver/shaft combo. Okay now the competition.


1.M3 9.5 with Aldila Rogue 125 MSI 70TX
Was a no go... I couldn't get it in the air. I don't know why, I even tried to hit up on the ball. I don't remember spin #s but launch was at the highest 7*. I turned around and said "I going to need more loft."

2. M3 10.5 with Aldila Rogue 125 MSI 70TX
118 mph SS
174 BS
292 carry
310 total distance
2300rpms spin
9* launch

The M3 felt pretty good. Sound was good. Look at address was nice. I don't know if it's the silver on the crown, but the club head looks smaller at address compared to the M2. Again I was hitting it lower than I like. I also noticed my ballpeed was down a couple mph and spin also averaged 100rpm lower. Just didn't feel as good as my M2 does.

3. M4 9.5 Aldila Rogue 125 MSI 70TX
Another no go... Even lower launch compared to the M3 9.5. I remember seeing spin #s between 2800 and 3300rpms. Also the M4 looks way open in the standard setting.

4. M4 10.5 Aldila Rogue 125 MSI 70TX
117 SS
170 BS
278 carry
290 total distance
2900rpms spin
7* launch

The M4 just doesn't feel right. Not a fan of the sound either. I hit one, maybe two good shots that were similar to my M3 10.5 numbers and I also hit a couple very ugly shots. I know some would kill for those numbers, but the numbers are obviously not optimal for me. Again the M4 looks way open and I'm not one who needs or wants to look down at an extremely open face.

Overall I'm not really surprised with the results. I think the 2016 M2 is the best driver Taylormade has released in a while. I'm going to need some back up heads for sure now. The M4 10.5 was close but I don't think tinkering with the weights would make it better than my M2.

I also hit the P790 3 and 4 iron. Holy smokes. They are long, really long. 255-260 carry with the 3 iron. Thinking of replacing my UDI with P790 3 iron...
After reading earlier posts about the M3 launching higher than previous models then seeing this, I’m not sure what to think anymore. Ordered an M3 head today to go with an Elements Chrome that I had in the 16 M2. The numbers were pretty good, but something about just never felt right

I think it shows you that everyone is going to put a different swing on the ball with a given driver.  Everyone has to hit a club themselves and determine what it does with their swing.  Reading these boards you enter in to paralysis through analysis.  Just go hit it.

19

#1040 Kylekoz17

Kylekoz17

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 204917
  • Joined: 09/28/2012
  • Location:Buffalo
  • Handicap:0.7
GolfWRX Likes : 941

Posted 20 February 2018 - 11:21 PM

I’m hoping the m3 launches higher than the m1 like some are saying.  Lower loft means more ball speed

TI '17 Taylormade M1 - AD BB 6X
TI Taylormade Aeroburner
'17 Taylormade M1 hybrid - Kuro Kage 80X
Titleist 716 TMB 3, 4 iron AMT X100
Titleist 714 AP2 5-pw X100
Custom Oven grind Nike Engage 50 sq, 56 toe sweep
Custom 1/1 Rory Oven proto 006, DJ Spider

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#1041 kiddoc

kiddoc

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33550
  • Joined: 07/02/2007
  • Location:Scottsdale,AZ
GolfWRX Likes : 151

Posted 20 February 2018 - 11:35 PM

View PostRedbird, on 20 February 2018 - 09:04 PM, said:

View PostRangerV, on 20 February 2018 - 08:38 PM, said:

View PostCKalma, on 20 February 2018 - 06:02 PM, said:

Went to my course and hit both drivers today against my 2016 M2. They didn't have much of shaft selection since they recently received theit flightscope and training from the rep. The stock offerings in senior to stiff were it. So I used my shaft Aldila Rogue Silver 125 MSI 70TX tipped .5" for comparison which is fit to me. Swing speed ranges 117-122mph and I tend to hit ever so slightly down on the ball but can hit up on the ball. Numbers are all averages.

2016 M2 10.5 Aldila Rogue 125 MSI 70TX
119 mph SS
178 BS
298 carry
319 total distance
2400rpms spin
9* launch

That felt good after not playing for 5 months, although I will say I was hitting it a little low for me on the Flightscope. I don't think I saw spin leave the 2400rpm range. I absolutely love this driver/shaft combo. Okay now the competition.


1.M3 9.5 with Aldila Rogue 125 MSI 70TX
Was a no go... I couldn't get it in the air. I don't know why, I even tried to hit up on the ball. I don't remember spin #s but launch was at the highest 7*. I turned around and said "I going to need more loft."

2. M3 10.5 with Aldila Rogue 125 MSI 70TX
118 mph SS
174 BS
292 carry
310 total distance
2300rpms spin
9* launch

The M3 felt pretty good. Sound was good. Look at address was nice. I don't know if it's the silver on the crown, but the club head looks smaller at address compared to the M2. Again I was hitting it lower than I like. I also noticed my ballpeed was down a couple mph and spin also averaged 100rpm lower. Just didn't feel as good as my M2 does.

3. M4 9.5 Aldila Rogue 125 MSI 70TX
Another no go... Even lower launch compared to the M3 9.5. I remember seeing spin #s between 2800 and 3300rpms. Also the M4 looks way open in the standard setting.

4. M4 10.5 Aldila Rogue 125 MSI 70TX
117 SS
170 BS
278 carry
290 total distance
2900rpms spin
7* launch

The M4 just doesn't feel right. Not a fan of the sound either. I hit one, maybe two good shots that were similar to my M3 10.5 numbers and I also hit a couple very ugly shots. I know some would kill for those numbers, but the numbers are obviously not optimal for me. Again the M4 looks way open and I'm not one who needs or wants to look down at an extremely open face.

Overall I'm not really surprised with the results. I think the 2016 M2 is the best driver Taylormade has released in a while. I'm going to need some back up heads for sure now. The M4 10.5 was close but I don't think tinkering with the weights would make it better than my M2.

I also hit the P790 3 and 4 iron. Holy smokes. They are long, really long. 255-260 carry with the 3 iron. Thinking of replacing my UDI with P790 3 iron...
After reading earlier posts about the M3 launching higher than previous models then seeing this, I’m not sure what to think anymore. Ordered an M3 head today to go with an Elements Chrome that I had in the 16 M2. The numbers were pretty good, but something about just never felt right

I think it shows you that everyone is going to put a different swing on the ball with a given driver.  Everyone has to hit a club themselves and determine what it does with their swing.  Reading these boards you enter in to paralysis through analysis.  Just go hit it.


Something is amiss.  Angle of attack or location of strike on face is off in the detailed post above.
Use some impact tape to find out which is to blame.


21

#1042 CKalma

CKalma

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 261776
  • Joined: 07/04/2013
  • Location:PNW
GolfWRX Likes : 124

Posted 21 February 2018 - 02:26 AM

View Postkiddoc, on 20 February 2018 - 11:35 PM, said:

View PostRedbird, on 20 February 2018 - 09:04 PM, said:

View PostRangerV, on 20 February 2018 - 08:38 PM, said:

View PostCKalma, on 20 February 2018 - 06:02 PM, said:

Went to my course and hit both drivers today against my 2016 M2. They didn't have much of shaft selection since they recently received theit flightscope and training from the rep. The stock offerings in senior to stiff were it. So I used my shaft Aldila Rogue Silver 125 MSI 70TX tipped .5" for comparison which is fit to me. Swing speed ranges 117-122mph and I tend to hit ever so slightly down on the ball but can hit up on the ball. Numbers are all averages.

2016 M2 10.5 Aldila Rogue 125 MSI 70TX
119 mph SS
178 BS
298 carry
319 total distance
2400rpms spin
9* launch

That felt good after not playing for 5 months, although I will say I was hitting it a little low for me on the Flightscope. I don't think I saw spin leave the 2400rpm range. I absolutely love this driver/shaft combo. Okay now the competition.


1.M3 9.5 with Aldila Rogue 125 MSI 70TX
Was a no go... I couldn't get it in the air. I don't know why, I even tried to hit up on the ball. I don't remember spin #s but launch was at the highest 7*. I turned around and said "I going to need more loft."

2. M3 10.5 with Aldila Rogue 125 MSI 70TX
118 mph SS
174 BS
292 carry
310 total distance
2300rpms spin
9* launch

The M3 felt pretty good. Sound was good. Look at address was nice. I don't know if it's the silver on the crown, but the club head looks smaller at address compared to the M2. Again I was hitting it lower than I like. I also noticed my ballpeed was down a couple mph and spin also averaged 100rpm lower. Just didn't feel as good as my M2 does.

3. M4 9.5 Aldila Rogue 125 MSI 70TX
Another no go... Even lower launch compared to the M3 9.5. I remember seeing spin #s between 2800 and 3300rpms. Also the M4 looks way open in the standard setting.

4. M4 10.5 Aldila Rogue 125 MSI 70TX
117 SS
170 BS
278 carry
290 total distance
2900rpms spin
7* launch

The M4 just doesn't feel right. Not a fan of the sound either. I hit one, maybe two good shots that were similar to my M3 10.5 numbers and I also hit a couple very ugly shots. I know some would kill for those numbers, but the numbers are obviously not optimal for me. Again the M4 looks way open and I'm not one who needs or wants to look down at an extremely open face.

Overall I'm not really surprised with the results. I think the 2016 M2 is the best driver Taylormade has released in a while. I'm going to need some back up heads for sure now. The M4 10.5 was close but I don't think tinkering with the weights would make it better than my M2.

I also hit the P790 3 and 4 iron. Holy smokes. They are long, really long. 255-260 carry with the 3 iron. Thinking of replacing my UDI with P790 3 iron...
After reading earlier posts about the M3 launching higher than previous models then seeing this, I’m not sure what to think anymore. Ordered an M3 head today to go with an Elements Chrome that I had in the 16 M2. The numbers were pretty good, but something about just never felt right

I think it shows you that everyone is going to put a different swing on the ball with a given driver.  Everyone has to hit a club themselves and determine what it does with their swing.  Reading these boards you enter in to paralysis through analysis.  Just go hit it.


Something is amiss.  Angle of attack or location of strike on face is off in the detailed post above.
Use some impact tape to find out which is to blame.

I thought the same, but I haven't gotten along with 9.5* heads for years now. I tend to hit 1*ish down on the ball with driver, but I made swings with 2* upward with little improvement. The M3 10.5 I saw the same smash factor as my M2. The M4 I honestly don't know. I gave the M4 10.5 a few extra times, but fatigue had set in and I lost interest after not achieving similar/consistent numbers with the amount of effort put in.
TM M2 2016 10.5* Aldila Rogue 125 70TX
TM SLDR 15* Tour AD DI 8x
TM TP UDI 18* Aldila Rip Tour 115
TM 2014 MB 4-pw DG X100
TM TP EF 52* 56* 60* T.I. S400 Onyx
TM Tour Issue Murdered Spider Blade

22

#1043 Gem

Gem

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 19868
  • Joined: 09/25/2006
  • Location:Scotland.
GolfWRX Likes : 308

Posted 21 February 2018 - 02:50 AM

View PostAlways_rough, on 19 February 2018 - 11:46 PM, said:

Anyone really noticing a difference between '17 M1 440 and M3 440?

Considering ordering a new shaft after a dramatic swing change, but might go all out for the M3 440 if it's a bit more forgiving.

2017 M1 440 in 9.5 spins less for me than the M3 9* head but seems more forgiving but this could be due to more spin.
Not sure what to make of the M3. One range and one course session and slightly underwhelmed.
I'll try a few different shafts but usually first impressions are a good indication if it will work or not.

Seems to be a bit shorter than my 2016 M2 and not as easy to hit.
Ordered and paid for it 5 weeks ago and was really looking forward to this one but it could be a big disappointment :-)
TaylorMade M2 (2016) 9.5* (2* lower) HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5
TaylorMade M1 15* Tensei CK Pro White 80X or
Taylor Made tour issue M2 T3 Ozik Matrix 8M3 X

TaylorMade Rsi TP 3-PW (1.5* strong) NS-Pro MOdus 3 tour130 X
Callaway MD 3 48 bent to 50 KBS 610 S+
Callaway MD 3 52 bent to 54 KBS 610 S+
Callaway MD 2 58 KBS 610 S+

Odyssey 2-ball Pro-Type milled face putter.

Tour Preferred X or TP5x ball.

23

#1044 kekoa

kekoa

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,699 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Joined: 10/02/2008
  • Location:in the hole
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1587

Posted 21 February 2018 - 11:54 AM

Here is what happened to me.

I have been playing the '17 M2 with GD DI.  I actually loved this combo, but then traded it in for the M4.  The M4 was going left on me a lot and seemed a bit shorter.  Not hooks, but just over drawing.  I also prefer the sound of the M2.

Has anyone previously playing the M2 and now opted for the M3?
Taylormade M3 GD DI
Taylormade Aeroburnder 3&5 GD DI
Taylormade UDI 1,2 & 3
Miura CB-57 BB (5-PW)
Scratch TD DW 53*, 58*
Taylormade Hi Toe 60*
Odyssey 1WS

24

#1045 ThunderBuzzworth

ThunderBuzzworth

    Hulk... Smash!!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132069
  • Joined: 06/30/2011
  • Location:Metro Detroit
  • Handicap:+3
GolfWRX Likes : 2048

Posted 21 February 2018 - 12:25 PM


I have found that Hammerhead tech in the M3 is great for high swing speed players. M4 Head spins about 500 more than M3 for me. Neither are spectacular enough to jump and replace my 2016 M1 without extensive research



M3 with stock Tensei White 60 (spinny but hot off the face) *not even close to the right fit for me

56E090DB-EC00-4466-BDB9-71ABC9B4148D.jpeg

Ping G400 LsT w stock tour 65  (not right for for me either burn i liked the trajectory)

C487E22D-8D3E-4547-A3F7-71B1B1D5E52C.jpeg


My 2016 M1 w Tensei white 80tx

95B251DD-59E2-4ED2-B439-186F3D64AFC5.png

Current WITB

• Driver • 2016 M1 9.8* - Tensei Pro White proto 80tx
• Fairway •  2017 M2 16.7* tour issue - GD P9003x/ DI 10-tx
• Irons • Titleist 716 TMB 3-4-5 - Nippon Super Peening Blue x
• Irons • Miura Blade 6-PW - Nippon Super Peening Blue x
• Wedges • Vokey SM6 Raw Black 50F 60K • Vokey TVD Black 55K • X100's
• Putter • Scotty Cameron Studio Design 5
• Ball • Srixon Z Star XV 2017

25

#1046 OspreyCI

OspreyCI

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,356 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108024
  • Joined: 05/15/2010
  • Location:Valley of the Sun
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 528

Posted 21 February 2018 - 01:15 PM

How the heck do you guys have these kinds of ballspeeds? Wow! I feel great if I see 150. Iíll just shut up and color....
PING G400 MAX 9* Tour 65
TM M2 15* Speeder 757 Evo TS
TM M2 #3 19* Fujikura
TM M3 4 Iron Atmos
TM P790 5-AW Modus 105
TM MG 54*
TM HI TOE 60*
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainess Newport

26

#1047 ThunderBuzzworth

ThunderBuzzworth

    Hulk... Smash!!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132069
  • Joined: 06/30/2011
  • Location:Metro Detroit
  • Handicap:+3
GolfWRX Likes : 2048

Posted 21 February 2018 - 01:22 PM

View PostOspreyCI, on 21 February 2018 - 01:15 PM, said:

How the heck do you guys have these kinds of ballspeeds? Wow! I feel great if I see 150. Iíll just shut up and color....

Ball speed is nice to see but it doesnít amount to much without the right fit
Current WITB

• Driver • 2016 M1 9.8* - Tensei Pro White proto 80tx
• Fairway •  2017 M2 16.7* tour issue - GD P9003x/ DI 10-tx
• Irons • Titleist 716 TMB 3-4-5 - Nippon Super Peening Blue x
• Irons • Miura Blade 6-PW - Nippon Super Peening Blue x
• Wedges • Vokey SM6 Raw Black 50F 60K • Vokey TVD Black 55K • X100's
• Putter • Scotty Cameron Studio Design 5
• Ball • Srixon Z Star XV 2017

27

#1048 MCGolfTM

MCGolfTM

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 436278
  • Joined: 08/11/2016
  • Location:CT
  • Handicap:9.3
GolfWRX Likes : 41

Posted 21 February 2018 - 01:30 PM

View PostGravityWell, on 16 February 2018 - 09:30 PM, said:

First round with M3 today. Best driver I've owned. Long and straight.

What were you playing before the M3?
TaylorMade M3 Driver - Fujikura Pro 73 Stiff
TaylorMade M4 3HL Wood - Fujikura Pro 73 Stiff
TaylorMade M4 5 Wood - Fujikura Pro 73 Stiff
TaylorMade P790 UDI - Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
TaylorMade P770 PW - KBS FLT Stiff
TaylorMade Milled Grind 50/54 - KBS 610 Wedge Stiff
TaylorMade Hi-Toe 60 - KBS 610 Wedge Stiff
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black Putter
TaylorMade TP5x Ball

28

#1049 stopdog

stopdog

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39086
  • Joined: 09/09/2007
  • Location:La Jolla, CA
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 21 February 2018 - 01:47 PM

View PostThunderBuzzworth, on 21 February 2018 - 01:22 PM, said:

View PostOspreyCI, on 21 February 2018 - 01:15 PM, said:

How the heck do you guys have these kinds of ballspeeds? Wow! I feel great if I see 150. I'll just shut up and color....

Ball speed is nice to see but it doesn't amount to much without the right fit

Dustin Johnson ball speed average 183 mph, so you are 15 mph faster than DJ? Wow maybe you should be on Tour you could dominate ! At least off the tee.

29

#1050 RonSwanson

RonSwanson

    Honor: if you need it defined, you donít have it.

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,175 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122232
  • Joined: 02/14/2011
  • Location:DC
GolfWRX Likes : 568

Posted 21 February 2018 - 02:43 PM

What was the spin number on the M3? Had to be like 5000ish for that carry with 198 ball speed, right?

Curious why you didn't pop your shaft from the '16 M1 into the M3 and M4.

TaylorMade M3 460 9.5 - HZRDUS T1100 75 6.5
TaylorMade M3 3HL - HZRDUS T1100 85 6.5
TaylorMade UDI - 3 - HZRDUS Black 105 6.5
TaylorMade P750 4-6, P730 7-PW - Project X LZ 6.5 Hardstepped
TaylorMade MG RAW - 50-SB @ 51, 56-SB, 60-SB @ 62/Hi-Toe 60 @ 62 - DG TI S400
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors