Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

Titleist's new "AVX" golf balls, with premium urethane covers


510 replies to this topic

#61 PZero

PZero

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,226 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129810
  • Joined: 05/30/2011
  • Location:Ohio
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 7525

Posted 20 September 2017 - 11:06 PM

Besides the yellow ball, I guess I don't understand the need for this if it is the same price as the Pro V1.

R11s 9° Whiteboad 63S
Titleist 913F 15°
TM R9 19°
Titleist 712 AP2 4-GW
Vokey TVD 56°, SM5 60°
Studio Select Newport

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#62 Llortamaisey

Llortamaisey

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,658 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11574
  • Joined: 02/09/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 2349

Posted 20 September 2017 - 11:22 PM

It will sell out at the current price. There might even be a higher secondary market on eBay. Eventually they will come down in price because cast urethane doesn't cost as much as their current urethane. They can still get great margins at a lower price point.

2

#63 grm24

grm24

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4801
  • Joined: 08/09/2005
  • Location:Western PA
GolfWRX Likes : 1888

Posted 20 September 2017 - 11:44 PM

View PostLlortamaisey, on 20 September 2017 - 11:22 PM, said:

Eventually they will come down in price because cast urethane doesn't cost as much as their current urethane.
The Pro-V1/V1X are cast thermoset urethane. As they have been forever.

3

#64 Llortamaisey

Llortamaisey

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,658 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11574
  • Joined: 02/09/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 2349

Posted 20 September 2017 - 11:55 PM

View Postgrm24, on 20 September 2017 - 11:44 PM, said:

View PostLlortamaisey, on 20 September 2017 - 11:22 PM, said:

Eventually they will come down in price because cast urethane doesn't cost as much as their current urethane.
The Pro-V1/V1X are cast thermoset urethane. As they have been forever.

Different cast process than the AVX. But thanks for playing.

Edited by Llortamaisey, 20 September 2017 - 11:57 PM.


4

#65 grm24

grm24

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4801
  • Joined: 08/09/2005
  • Location:Western PA
GolfWRX Likes : 1888

Posted 21 September 2017 - 12:02 AM

View PostLlortamaisey, on 20 September 2017 - 11:55 PM, said:

View Postgrm24, on 20 September 2017 - 11:44 PM, said:

View PostLlortamaisey, on 20 September 2017 - 11:22 PM, said:

Eventually they will come down in price because cast urethane doesn't cost as much as their current urethane.
The Pro-V1/V1X are cast thermoset urethane. As they have been forever.

Different cast process than the AVX. But thanks for playing.
CTU is more expensive (Pro V1/TM/Snell) to produce than thermoplastic urethane that others use. That is per Dean Snell. The V1/V1X are their (Titleist) current urethane balls. Care to come again or explain yourself better on how the AVX is manufactured?

Edited by grm24, 21 September 2017 - 12:03 AM.


5

#66 Llortamaisey

Llortamaisey

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,658 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11574
  • Joined: 02/09/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 2349

Posted 21 September 2017 - 12:06 AM

View Postgrm24, on 21 September 2017 - 12:02 AM, said:

View PostLlortamaisey, on 20 September 2017 - 11:55 PM, said:

View Postgrm24, on 20 September 2017 - 11:44 PM, said:

View PostLlortamaisey, on 20 September 2017 - 11:22 PM, said:

Eventually they will come down in price because cast urethane doesn't cost as much as their current urethane.
The Pro-V1/V1X are cast thermoset urethane. As they have been forever.

Different cast process than the AVX. But thanks for playing.
CTU is more expensive (Pro V1/TM/Snell) to produce than thermoplastic urethane that others use. That is per Dean Snell. The V1/V1X are their (Titleist) current urethane balls. Care to come again or explain yourself better on how the AVX is manufactured?

I've already came, and the AVX story will come out it due time.

Edited by Llortamaisey, 21 September 2017 - 12:06 AM.


6

#67 grm24

grm24

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4801
  • Joined: 08/09/2005
  • Location:Western PA
GolfWRX Likes : 1888

Posted 21 September 2017 - 12:21 AM

View PostLlortamaisey, on 21 September 2017 - 12:06 AM, said:

View Postgrm24, on 21 September 2017 - 12:02 AM, said:

View PostLlortamaisey, on 20 September 2017 - 11:55 PM, said:

View Postgrm24, on 20 September 2017 - 11:44 PM, said:

View PostLlortamaisey, on 20 September 2017 - 11:22 PM, said:

Eventually they will come down in price because cast urethane doesn't cost as much as their current urethane.
The Pro-V1/V1X are cast thermoset urethane. As they have been forever.

Different cast process than the AVX. But thanks for playing.
CTU is more expensive (Pro V1/TM/Snell) to produce than thermoplastic urethane that others use. That is per Dean Snell. The V1/V1X are their (Titleist) current urethane balls. Care to come again or explain yourself better on how the AVX is manufactured?

I've already came, and the AVX story will come out it due time.
Honestly you've provided nothing but double talk. Seems to be a recurring theme around here lately.

7

#68 Nickthurgood

Nickthurgood

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 272901
  • Joined: 08/26/2013
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 21 September 2017 - 01:27 AM

Available only in three states but I'm assuming we might be able to find them online?

8

#69 BIG STU

BIG STU

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,830 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 284204
  • Joined: 11/14/2013
  • Location:Garden City Beach SC
  • Handicap:5.0
GolfWRX Likes : 26421

Posted 21 September 2017 - 01:44 AM

View Postcaniac6, on 20 September 2017 - 04:35 PM, said:

I just picked up some Srixon Q Star Tours, and unless these are the same price, I won't buy them.
IMHO the dimples on that AVX from the photo look just like the ones on the Q Star Tours to me. That is just from looking at photos on here. I have not seen either one in person yet
Driver: Homna G1-X Homna stiff shaft
5 Wood TM V- Steel 18* Pro Launch Blue
Hybrid Adams Peanut 22*  Pro Launch Red
Irons 3 thru PW 1982 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts hard stepped-- Yeah MacHogans or Bastardized Macs
SW Cleveland 588 56* DG Sensicore
LW  Cleveland 588 60* DG Sensicore custom sole Scratch EGG style
Putter- 1985 PGA Tommy Armour Ironmaster
Bag-- Original Ping Hoofer or Vintage Titleist Mini Staff
Vintage-- Too many variables to list and I get tired of updating this thing!
Founding Father of the Outlaw golf Association Member #1--Screw the USGA play what you want to
Home of Redneck Hippie golf where When The Tailgate Drops The BS Stop

9

#70 elwhippy

elwhippy

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,293 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3536
  • Joined: 07/28/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 799

Posted 21 September 2017 - 01:56 AM

Is this really a US version of the long established Prestige ball that sells in Japan? Or a Chrome Soft type ball?


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#71 tsecor

tsecor

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129704
  • Joined: 05/28/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 915

Posted 21 September 2017 - 06:46 AM

its a ksig with titleist branding

11

#72 MrWolf

MrWolf

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,334 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41616
  • Joined: 10/31/2007
  • Location:O-Town, ON
  • Handicap:Golf
GolfWRX Likes : 6456

Posted 21 September 2017 - 06:48 AM

As stated the price is absurd. Then again, so is the price of the Pro V1.

If this is a test run, why not sell the ball at the price you intend to sell it if released? Surely that's the only way to make a reasonably accurate assessment of whether it will sell, if released.

Either way, very unlikely I will ever try this ball. Most Titleist balls are over-priced and under perform IMO. I doubt this will be any different.

Edited by MrWolf, 21 September 2017 - 06:49 AM.

///OGA Member #13 - 'The Man from Blighty'///

12

#73 Mario Good Times

Mario Good Times

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 243017
  • Joined: 04/04/2013
GolfWRX Likes : 135

Posted 21 September 2017 - 07:14 AM

No no no thank you.  I'll keep loading up on the 2016 Bridgestone b330 for $29.99.   As a consumer why in a million years should me a non professional pay $45 for a dozen?   When I can get a companies best ball they offer for $29?

13

#74 JStang

JStang

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122217
  • Joined: 02/13/2011
  • Location:FL
  • Handicap:6.4
GolfWRX Likes : 1209

Posted 21 September 2017 - 07:16 AM

View PostLlortamaisey, on 21 September 2017 - 12:06 AM, said:

View Postgrm24, on 21 September 2017 - 12:02 AM, said:

View PostLlortamaisey, on 20 September 2017 - 11:55 PM, said:

View Postgrm24, on 20 September 2017 - 11:44 PM, said:

View PostLlortamaisey, on 20 September 2017 - 11:22 PM, said:

Eventually they will come down in price because cast urethane doesn't cost as much as their current urethane.
The Pro-V1/V1X are cast thermoset urethane. As they have been forever.

Different cast process than the AVX. But thanks for playing.
CTU is more expensive (Pro V1/TM/Snell) to produce than thermoplastic urethane that others use. That is per Dean Snell. The V1/V1X are their (Titleist) current urethane balls. Care to come again or explain yourself better on how the AVX is manufactured?

I've already came, and the AVX story will come out it due time.

Woah, it's just a golf ball man.
Tour Issue '16 M2 | 917 F2 | 915H 2&3 | Nike VR Pro Combo | Vokey SM6 52, 58 | Byron Morgan DH89

14

#75 tsecor

tsecor

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129704
  • Joined: 05/28/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 915

Posted 21 September 2017 - 07:35 AM

View PostSubaruWRX, on 20 September 2017 - 01:59 PM, said:

View Postmvhoffman, on 20 September 2017 - 01:32 PM, said:

3 piece urethane ball for the same price as a Pro V...  that doesn't make any sense.  Mine as well just replace the dimple pattern on the ProV and call it the ProV17
Titleist with a swing and a miss!

That's like Ford pricing the Focus the same as a loaded Mustang...

Good for me. I'll save some money and I won't be losing any of these.
you can see into the future. that is awesome.....lotto numbers please?


15

#76 xjohnx

xjohnx

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75904
  • Joined: 02/23/2009
  • Location:NH
  • Ebay ID:xedgep90x
GolfWRX Likes : 1001

Posted 21 September 2017 - 07:36 AM

I had the same first gut reaction as everyone else when I first read this news. I thought offering a version of a ProV1 for Amateur swing speeds for the same price as the ProV1 was a big miss and a slap in the face to the demographic. Then I started thinking about it and I think Titleist knows what they're doing and I think I back them up. Not that I ever think golf balls should cost $50 but, hear me out.

Think back about 10 years about what the ProV1 did for the golf ball and the consumer's perception. Try to think about this outside of WRX and think about the average golfer. Forever, there was a common misconception that the ProV1 was THE BEST golf ball, period. These guys knew nothing about golf ball technology, what makes the ProV1 so good, and who it's really made for. Most of them simply just thought a ProV1 would go further. Guys would literally buy a box for a scramble or a weekend out with the boys without blinking an eye. I don't know any hard numbers but after working as a store manager for Sports Authority for ten years I have a decent idea of who bought ProV1s and how many were sold. I don't have data to back this up but I would argue that 75% of the golfers that bought ProV1's got no benefit whatsoever and did nothing but piss money away. The only reason that was the case was lack of education and a skewed consumer perception that these balls are "the best" and will help their game. Now look at the last 5 years. Titleist has been losing a lot of that volume due to the production and marketing from competitors educating these guys on golf ball technology, the right technology for their game, and how it will help them. Up until now, Titleist's only response to that was trying to convince people that the ProV1 was in fact for any game. I don't think that worked quite as well as they'd hoped. I think based on the fact that people payed the premium price when they stupidly thought the ball would help them play better golf, that they can get a lot of those guys back to them by giving them the right ball for their game now that the other have educated them. I agree that unless these perform off the charts for some reason, that the smart guys will stay with a similar ball for a lower price but, you know there are plenty of guys that will choose AVX just because it's a Titleist. IT could work.

16

#77 FAbb

FAbb

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125500
  • Joined: 03/29/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 13178

Posted 21 September 2017 - 07:39 AM

It'd be interesting to see a comparison chart from Titleist, like they do with the V1 and V1X.  Nothing on that box really tells me where they're claiming this ball slots in with regards to spin, and launch at different distances.

Edited by FAbb, 21 September 2017 - 07:39 AM.


17

#78 J13

J13

    60% of the time, every time.

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 12,985 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76984
  • Joined: 03/08/2009
  • Location:Maryland
  • Handicap:+1.6
GolfWRX Likes : 5856

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:05 AM

View PostLlortamaisey, on 20 September 2017 - 11:22 PM, said:

It will sell out at the current price. There might even be a higher secondary market on eBay. Eventually they will come down in price because cast urethane doesn't cost as much as their current urethane. They can still get great margins at a lower price point.


Oh you sound like you work for Titleist.   With all due respect this is another ball that is over priced and won't sell except in green grass accounts where Titleist is still losing market share because the old school pro's are retiring by the hundreds every year.  Titleist had them locked with ball exclusive incentives but times are a changin ;)

Edited by J13, 21 September 2017 - 08:06 AM.

Ping G400 LST 8.5* / Xphlexxx Modena F7 Prototype 7TX
Nike VR Pro LTD 15* / Aldila RIP 80X
Srixon U45 20* / Aldila RIP 105X
Srixon 745's 4-PW / Modus Tour 120 TX
Callaway MD3 50, 54, 60 / Modus 125
Odyssey White Hot Versa #6 Tour issue
Srixon Zstar XV


GolfWrx WITB Podcast: http://www.golfwrx.com/482668/tgtg-golfwrx-forum-member-j13-talks-witb-and-club-testing/

WITB
http://www.golfwrx.c.../page__st__1590

Instagram @Jminis13
https://www.instagra...jminis13/?hl=en

18

#79 2012BFT

2012BFT

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 188880
  • Joined: 06/26/2012
  • Location:Detroit, MI
  • Ebay ID:2012BFT
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:12 AM

Have always been 100% loyal all and only Pro-V1 guy... until this year. There are just too many other excellent balls around these days for significantly less money. I still prefer my pro-v's, but I have started playing Chromesoft X lately and have adapted well. Titleist needs to figure out their pricing, as they are the way out of touch these days.
PING G400 LST  
Callaway 816 16*
Titleist TMB 3i DG AMT
Callaway Apex Pro Combo 4-PW w/PX 6.0
Vokey SM6 50, 54, 60
Scotty Cameron Newport 2
Pro-V1x

19

#80 J13

J13

    60% of the time, every time.

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 12,985 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76984
  • Joined: 03/08/2009
  • Location:Maryland
  • Handicap:+1.6
GolfWRX Likes : 5856

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:37 AM

View Post2012BFT, on 21 September 2017 - 08:12 AM, said:

Have always been 100% loyal all and only Pro-V1 guy... until this year. There are just too many other excellent balls around these days for significantly less money. I still prefer my pro-v's, but I have started playing Chromesoft X lately and have adapted well. Titleist needs to figure out their pricing, as they are the way out of touch these days.

Your story is not unique.  My club only used to sell Titleist until so many members started to complain then the pro finally had to give up his exclusive deal where Titleist paid into his retirement.

Ping G400 LST 8.5* / Xphlexxx Modena F7 Prototype 7TX
Nike VR Pro LTD 15* / Aldila RIP 80X
Srixon U45 20* / Aldila RIP 105X
Srixon 745's 4-PW / Modus Tour 120 TX
Callaway MD3 50, 54, 60 / Modus 125
Odyssey White Hot Versa #6 Tour issue
Srixon Zstar XV


GolfWrx WITB Podcast: http://www.golfwrx.com/482668/tgtg-golfwrx-forum-member-j13-talks-witb-and-club-testing/

WITB
http://www.golfwrx.c.../page__st__1590

Instagram @Jminis13
https://www.instagra...jminis13/?hl=en

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#81 QuigleyDU

QuigleyDU

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,258 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62095
  • Joined: 08/01/2008
  • Location:reno nv
  • Ebay ID:reederc2
GolfWRX Likes : 1400

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:40 AM

i think it is interesting that soo many people are telling titleist that their pricing is so far off. yes there are a ton of decent options out there. i have not played a prov that i didnt find on the course in years because of price. but you know what. i find a lot of provs. so people are buying them. Until they stop the price will stay where it is at.

Again, i dont buy provs, they are just too expensive. but, i tell you what. It really is the best ball. there are others that are close but they are not as good (in my opinion) and i think that is just a fact that Titleist knows so they dont need to adjust to lesser competition. i bought some vice pro plus, not as good. Snell balls, not as good. etc etc etc.

All of these other balls are close. but they all lack in one area or another. they are typically not as fast off the driver and lose spin around the greens. off the driver it is not enough to make a difference but when you get to the half swing wedge shot that you want to sit. they just dont as well.

i wish that i could play the prov1x but i just cant, or wont buy them at the price point they set. so, i settle for something else. Generally i am ok with that but every time i find a prov1x that is in really good condition i always think. man, this is a great ball.

one last thing is that i really like colored balls as i can track them better.

Edited by QuigleyDU, 21 September 2017 - 08:44 AM.

driver: SRIXON Z745
fairway: NIKE VAPOR 13*
3-4 IRON: MIZZY MP H5 GD AMT X100.
5-PW IRONS: MP5 DG AMT X100
WEDGES; CLEVELAND rtx 3.0 RAW
PUTTER; PING SIGMA G SHEA H
BALL; various, ask me that day.

21

#82 morrisminor

morrisminor

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 275941
  • Joined: 09/13/2013
  • Location:Yorkshire, UK
GolfWRX Likes : 124

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:48 AM

View Postgrm24, on 20 September 2017 - 11:44 PM, said:

View PostLlortamaisey, on 20 September 2017 - 11:22 PM, said:

Eventually they will come down in price because cast urethane doesn't cost as much as their current urethane.
The Pro-V1/V1X are cast thermoset urethane. As they have been forever.

That's why I'll only play Mizuno balls.  Can't beat that forged feel.
Ping G20 Driver
Taylormade Burner Superfast 3w
Callaway Steelhead III 5 Wood
Srixon i701 3&4i
Mizuno MP 57 5-PW
Titleist Vokey SM4 52, Mizuno MP T11 58
Yes! Pippi Putter

22

#83 J13

J13

    60% of the time, every time.

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 12,985 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76984
  • Joined: 03/08/2009
  • Location:Maryland
  • Handicap:+1.6
GolfWRX Likes : 5856

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:56 AM

View PostQuigleyDU, on 21 September 2017 - 08:40 AM, said:

i think it is interesting that soo many people are telling titleist that their pricing is so far off. yes there are a ton of decent options out there. i have not played a prov that i didnt find on the course in years because of price. but you know what. i find a lot of provs. so people are buying them. Until they stop the price will stay where it is at.

Again, i dont buy provs, they are just too expensive. but, i tell you what. It really is the best ball. there are others that are close but they are not as good (in my opinion) and i think that is just a fact that Titleist knows so they dont need to adjust to lesser competition. i bought some vice pro plus, not as good. Snell balls, not as good. etc etc etc.

All of these other balls are close. but they all lack in one area or another. they are typically not as fast off the driver and lose spin around the greens. off the driver it is not enough to make a difference but when you get to the half swing wedge shot that you want to sit. they just dont as well.

i wish that i could play the prov1x but i just cant, or wont buy them at the price point they set. so, i settle for something else. Generally i am ok with that but every time i find a prov1x that is in really good condition i always think. man, this is a great ball.

one last thing is that i really like colored balls as i can track them better.

Titleist is not the best ball anymore.  Haven't been for a few years. They make a great ball but so does Srixon, Taylormade, and Callaway.  Sorry but Titleist isn't the best anymore and sales reflect that.
Ping G400 LST 8.5* / Xphlexxx Modena F7 Prototype 7TX
Nike VR Pro LTD 15* / Aldila RIP 80X
Srixon U45 20* / Aldila RIP 105X
Srixon 745's 4-PW / Modus Tour 120 TX
Callaway MD3 50, 54, 60 / Modus 125
Odyssey White Hot Versa #6 Tour issue
Srixon Zstar XV


GolfWrx WITB Podcast: http://www.golfwrx.com/482668/tgtg-golfwrx-forum-member-j13-talks-witb-and-club-testing/

WITB
http://www.golfwrx.c.../page__st__1590

Instagram @Jminis13
https://www.instagra...jminis13/?hl=en

23

#84 MrWolf

MrWolf

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,334 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41616
  • Joined: 10/31/2007
  • Location:O-Town, ON
  • Handicap:Golf
GolfWRX Likes : 6456

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:01 AM

View PostJ13, on 21 September 2017 - 08:56 AM, said:

View PostQuigleyDU, on 21 September 2017 - 08:40 AM, said:

i think it is interesting that soo many people are telling titleist that their pricing is so far off. yes there are a ton of decent options out there. i have not played a prov that i didnt find on the course in years because of price. but you know what. i find a lot of provs. so people are buying them. Until they stop the price will stay where it is at.

Again, i dont buy provs, they are just too expensive. but, i tell you what. It really is the best ball. there are others that are close but they are not as good (in my opinion) and i think that is just a fact that Titleist knows so they dont need to adjust to lesser competition. i bought some vice pro plus, not as good. Snell balls, not as good. etc etc etc.

All of these other balls are close. but they all lack in one area or another. they are typically not as fast off the driver and lose spin around the greens. off the driver it is not enough to make a difference but when you get to the half swing wedge shot that you want to sit. they just dont as well.

i wish that i could play the prov1x but i just cant, or wont buy them at the price point they set. so, i settle for something else. Generally i am ok with that but every time i find a prov1x that is in really good condition i always think. man, this is a great ball.

one last thing is that i really like colored balls as i can track them better.

Titleist is not the best ball anymore.  Haven't been for a few years. They make a great ball but so does Srixon, Taylormade, and Callaway.  Sorry but Titleist isn't the best anymore and sales reflect that.

Totally agree. Titleist wants consumers to believe it's the best ball. Their whole business model depends on it. The reality is the Pro V1 hasn't been the "best" ball for quite some time and a lot of golfers are realising that and are refusing to pay through the nose for something that likely doesn't fit their game in any case.

Edited by MrWolf, 21 September 2017 - 09:02 AM.

///OGA Member #13 - 'The Man from Blighty'///

24

#85 QuigleyDU

QuigleyDU

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,258 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62095
  • Joined: 08/01/2008
  • Location:reno nv
  • Ebay ID:reederc2
GolfWRX Likes : 1400

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:01 AM

View PostJ13, on 21 September 2017 - 08:56 AM, said:

View PostQuigleyDU, on 21 September 2017 - 08:40 AM, said:

i think it is interesting that soo many people are telling titleist that their pricing is so far off. yes there are a ton of decent options out there. i have not played a prov that i didnt find on the course in years because of price. but you know what. i find a lot of provs. so people are buying them. Until they stop the price will stay where it is at.

Again, i dont buy provs, they are just too expensive. but, i tell you what. It really is the best ball. there are others that are close but they are not as good (in my opinion) and i think that is just a fact that Titleist knows so they dont need to adjust to lesser competition. i bought some vice pro plus, not as good. Snell balls, not as good. etc etc etc.

All of these other balls are close. but they all lack in one area or another. they are typically not as fast off the driver and lose spin around the greens. off the driver it is not enough to make a difference but when you get to the half swing wedge shot that you want to sit. they just dont as well.

i wish that i could play the prov1x but i just cant, or wont buy them at the price point they set. so, i settle for something else. Generally i am ok with that but every time i find a prov1x that is in really good condition i always think. man, this is a great ball.

one last thing is that i really like colored balls as i can track them better.

Titleist is not the best ball anymore.  Haven't been for a few years. They make a great ball but so does Srixon, Taylormade, and Callaway.  Sorry but Titleist isn't the best anymore and sales reflect that.

You may be right, i am not going to argue with you on that because i honestly dont know sales numbers. I have played every ball out there. and i for one can say the TPX ball is not as good from my position.  i play the Cally ball and really like it. it is close enough..

driver: SRIXON Z745
fairway: NIKE VAPOR 13*
3-4 IRON: MIZZY MP H5 GD AMT X100.
5-PW IRONS: MP5 DG AMT X100
WEDGES; CLEVELAND rtx 3.0 RAW
PUTTER; PING SIGMA G SHEA H
BALL; various, ask me that day.

25

#86 Yanki01

Yanki01

    VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,278 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58157
  • Joined: 06/17/2008
  • Location:Corpus Christi, TX
  • Handicap:4.7
GolfWRX Likes : 2288

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:06 AM

"made for more distance"? more than the V1x? i would like to try the yellow set but for now i'm sticking with the Z-Star XV yellow @ $23/doz.
915D2 Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
712u 4i Recoil F4 110
714 AP2 5-PW Nippon Modus3 Tour 105x
SM6 51.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S Nippon WV115
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 34/350G


WITB || Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec

26

#87 BCULAW

BCULAW

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,280 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2307
  • Joined: 07/08/2005
  • Location:Midlothian, VA
  • Ebay ID:bculaw
GolfWRX Likes : 1785

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:11 AM

View PostJ13, on 21 September 2017 - 08:56 AM, said:

View PostQuigleyDU, on 21 September 2017 - 08:40 AM, said:

i think it is interesting that soo many people are telling titleist that their pricing is so far off. yes there are a ton of decent options out there. i have not played a prov that i didnt find on the course in years because of price. but you know what. i find a lot of provs. so people are buying them. Until they stop the price will stay where it is at.

Again, i dont buy provs, they are just too expensive. but, i tell you what. It really is the best ball. there are others that are close but they are not as good (in my opinion) and i think that is just a fact that Titleist knows so they dont need to adjust to lesser competition. i bought some vice pro plus, not as good. Snell balls, not as good. etc etc etc.

All of these other balls are close. but they all lack in one area or another. they are typically not as fast off the driver and lose spin around the greens. off the driver it is not enough to make a difference but when you get to the half swing wedge shot that you want to sit. they just dont as well.

i wish that i could play the prov1x but i just cant, or wont buy them at the price point they set. so, i settle for something else. Generally i am ok with that but every time i find a prov1x that is in really good condition i always think. man, this is a great ball.

one last thing is that i really like colored balls as i can track them better.

Titleist is not the best ball anymore.  Haven't been for a few years. They make a great ball but so does Srixon, Taylormade, and Callaway.  Sorry but Titleist isn't the best anymore and sales reflect that.

I tend to agree with this. I've played the ProVX almost exclusively since it was released. I might have tried a dozen of something else here and there along the way, but always quickly returned. I loved the feel off the irons, wedges, and putter, and felt like it gave me the distance and control I was looking for. The last couple of years, however, it seemed to me that the feel of the ProVX has gotten more and more clicky and performance has been less predictable. Early this year I started tinkering with other balls and found that both the BStone B330 and the TM TP5 gave me the feel I was looking for. More importantly, I shot so many low scores (for me) with those balls that I couldn't chalk the performance up to coincidence. Add to the fact that several pals/players I respect have switched to either Srixon or Cally, and I think it is fair to say that Titleist may need to up its game. Perhaps this is an effort to break away from ProV1 to give a different class of players what hey want. This sounds like Titleist's response to the market's heightened emphasis on soft feel and low spin (ala TM TP5).

27

#88 J13

J13

    60% of the time, every time.

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 12,985 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76984
  • Joined: 03/08/2009
  • Location:Maryland
  • Handicap:+1.6
GolfWRX Likes : 5856

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:13 AM

View PostQuigleyDU, on 21 September 2017 - 09:01 AM, said:

View PostJ13, on 21 September 2017 - 08:56 AM, said:

View PostQuigleyDU, on 21 September 2017 - 08:40 AM, said:

i think it is interesting that soo many people are telling titleist that their pricing is so far off. yes there are a ton of decent options out there. i have not played a prov that i didnt find on the course in years because of price. but you know what. i find a lot of provs. so people are buying them. Until they stop the price will stay where it is at.

Again, i dont buy provs, they are just too expensive. but, i tell you what. It really is the best ball. there are others that are close but they are not as good (in my opinion) and i think that is just a fact that Titleist knows so they dont need to adjust to lesser competition. i bought some vice pro plus, not as good. Snell balls, not as good. etc etc etc.

All of these other balls are close. but they all lack in one area or another. they are typically not as fast off the driver and lose spin around the greens. off the driver it is not enough to make a difference but when you get to the half swing wedge shot that you want to sit. they just dont as well.

i wish that i could play the prov1x but i just cant, or wont buy them at the price point they set. so, i settle for something else. Generally i am ok with that but every time i find a prov1x that is in really good condition i always think. man, this is a great ball.

one last thing is that i really like colored balls as i can track them better.

Titleist is not the best ball anymore.  Haven't been for a few years. They make a great ball but so does Srixon, Taylormade, and Callaway.  Sorry but Titleist isn't the best anymore and sales reflect that.

You may be right, i am not going to argue with you on that because i honestly dont know sales numbers. I have played every ball out there. and i for one can say the TPX ball is not as good from my position.  i play the Cally ball and really like it. it is close enough..

The only best ball is the one that fits your game.  It's no different in clubs.  There's no "best" set of irons for golfers.  All of the top companies make good stuff nowadays so it comes down to aesthetics and performance for your specific swing.  MGS did a great interview with Dean Snell you should check it out.  He breaks it down better then anyone I've ever heard.

Edited by J13, 21 September 2017 - 09:18 AM.

Ping G400 LST 8.5* / Xphlexxx Modena F7 Prototype 7TX
Nike VR Pro LTD 15* / Aldila RIP 80X
Srixon U45 20* / Aldila RIP 105X
Srixon 745's 4-PW / Modus Tour 120 TX
Callaway MD3 50, 54, 60 / Modus 125
Odyssey White Hot Versa #6 Tour issue
Srixon Zstar XV


GolfWrx WITB Podcast: http://www.golfwrx.com/482668/tgtg-golfwrx-forum-member-j13-talks-witb-and-club-testing/

WITB
http://www.golfwrx.c.../page__st__1590

Instagram @Jminis13
https://www.instagra...jminis13/?hl=en

28

#89 QuigleyDU

QuigleyDU

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,258 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62095
  • Joined: 08/01/2008
  • Location:reno nv
  • Ebay ID:reederc2
GolfWRX Likes : 1400

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:16 AM

View PostJ13, on 21 September 2017 - 09:13 AM, said:

View PostQuigleyDU, on 21 September 2017 - 09:01 AM, said:

View PostJ13, on 21 September 2017 - 08:56 AM, said:

View PostQuigleyDU, on 21 September 2017 - 08:40 AM, said:

i think it is interesting that soo many people are telling titleist that their pricing is so far off. yes there are a ton of decent options out there. i have not played a prov that i didnt find on the course in years because of price. but you know what. i find a lot of provs. so people are buying them. Until they stop the price will stay where it is at.

Again, i dont buy provs, they are just too expensive. but, i tell you what. It really is the best ball. there are others that are close but they are not as good (in my opinion) and i think that is just a fact that Titleist knows so they dont need to adjust to lesser competition. i bought some vice pro plus, not as good. Snell balls, not as good. etc etc etc.

All of these other balls are close. but they all lack in one area or another. they are typically not as fast off the driver and lose spin around the greens. off the driver it is not enough to make a difference but when you get to the half swing wedge shot that you want to sit. they just dont as well.

i wish that i could play the prov1x but i just cant, or wont buy them at the price point they set. so, i settle for something else. Generally i am ok with that but every time i find a prov1x that is in really good condition i always think. man, this is a great ball.

one last thing is that i really like colored balls as i can track them better.

Titleist is not the best ball anymore.  Haven't been for a few years. They make a great ball but so does Srixon, Taylormade, and Callaway.  Sorry but Titleist isn't the best anymore and sales reflect that.

You may be right, i am not going to argue with you on that because i honestly dont know sales numbers. I have played every ball out there. and i for one can say the TPX ball is not as good from my position.  i play the Cally ball and really like it. it is close enough..

The only best ball is the one that fits your game.  It's no different in clubs.  There's no "best" set of irons for golfers.  All of the top companies make good stuff nowadays so it comes down to aesthetics and performance for your specific swing.

very very true.

i mainly play the cally chrome soft x. it is a great ball. great distance, etc etc. i have not played Bstones in a while. i have thought about switching to an even softer ball like the srixon z star. it spins so well around the green.
driver: SRIXON Z745
fairway: NIKE VAPOR 13*
3-4 IRON: MIZZY MP H5 GD AMT X100.
5-PW IRONS: MP5 DG AMT X100
WEDGES; CLEVELAND rtx 3.0 RAW
PUTTER; PING SIGMA G SHEA H
BALL; various, ask me that day.

29

#90 MrWolf

MrWolf

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,334 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41616
  • Joined: 10/31/2007
  • Location:O-Town, ON
  • Handicap:Golf
GolfWRX Likes : 6456

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:19 AM

View PostQuigleyDU, on 21 September 2017 - 09:16 AM, said:

View PostJ13, on 21 September 2017 - 09:13 AM, said:

View PostQuigleyDU, on 21 September 2017 - 09:01 AM, said:

View PostJ13, on 21 September 2017 - 08:56 AM, said:

View PostQuigleyDU, on 21 September 2017 - 08:40 AM, said:

i think it is interesting that soo many people are telling titleist that their pricing is so far off. yes there are a ton of decent options out there. i have not played a prov that i didnt find on the course in years because of price. but you know what. i find a lot of provs. so people are buying them. Until they stop the price will stay where it is at.

Again, i dont buy provs, they are just too expensive. but, i tell you what. It really is the best ball. there are others that are close but they are not as good (in my opinion) and i think that is just a fact that Titleist knows so they dont need to adjust to lesser competition. i bought some vice pro plus, not as good. Snell balls, not as good. etc etc etc.

All of these other balls are close. but they all lack in one area or another. they are typically not as fast off the driver and lose spin around the greens. off the driver it is not enough to make a difference but when you get to the half swing wedge shot that you want to sit. they just dont as well.

i wish that i could play the prov1x but i just cant, or wont buy them at the price point they set. so, i settle for something else. Generally i am ok with that but every time i find a prov1x that is in really good condition i always think. man, this is a great ball.

one last thing is that i really like colored balls as i can track them better.

Titleist is not the best ball anymore.  Haven't been for a few years. They make a great ball but so does Srixon, Taylormade, and Callaway.  Sorry but Titleist isn't the best anymore and sales reflect that.

You may be right, i am not going to argue with you on that because i honestly dont know sales numbers. I have played every ball out there. and i for one can say the TPX ball is not as good from my position.  i play the Cally ball and really like it. it is close enough..

The only best ball is the one that fits your game.  It's no different in clubs.  There's no "best" set of irons for golfers.  All of the top companies make good stuff nowadays so it comes down to aesthetics and performance for your specific swing.

very very true.

i mainly play the cally chrome soft x. it is a great ball. great distance, etc etc. i have not played Bstones in a while. i have thought about switching to an even softer ball like the srixon z star. it spins so well around the green.

Z Star is a great ball.

///OGA Member #13 - 'The Man from Blighty'///

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors