Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

WLD interest...can I compete

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Rpete33

Rpete33

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 476032
  • Handicap:18
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 19 September 2017 - 07:41 PM

Guys,
2nd year into golf, currently game a f7+ with a 44 inch atmos black x stiff driver, I can poke it out 330-345 with my longest being 355, with it at 9.5 degree loft and for me what is a smooth tempo. I would like to get into WLD, I was wondering if Could I compete, I feel like if I swing as hard as I want I could reach 130+ swing speed, i gusss I don't know how much 4 inches and and a xxx stiff shaft would add to my swing, not much access in the Midwest for that type of thing, really wanna try it out this next summer

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 jmvargas

jmvargas

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,768 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59492
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 1228

Posted 19 September 2017 - 07:45 PM

it looks like you certainly have the potential assuming you're young enough..

am pretty sure you can improve your swing mechanics a lot considering you're only in your 2nd year of golf..

get a proper swing coach and the right equipment and go from there..
Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17*
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized  55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

#3 Rpete33

Rpete33

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2017 - 07:50 PM

View Postjmvargas, on 19 September 2017 - 07:45 PM, said:

am pretty sure you can improve your swing mechanics a lot considering you're only in your 2nd year of golf..

27 years old

#4 jmvargas

jmvargas

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,768 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59492
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 1228

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:00 PM

View PostRpete33, on 19 September 2017 - 07:50 PM, said:

View Postjmvargas, on 19 September 2017 - 07:45 PM, said:

27 years old

definitely young enough..

same advice young man..
Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17*
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized  55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

#5 Rpete33

Rpete33

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:12 PM

2nd question, I want the callaway 5 degree driver, just not sure shaft to put into it....I'm thinking Paderson xx or xxx stiff shaft, any input would be nice

#6 CmacLD

CmacLD

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 409776
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 20 September 2017 - 10:16 AM

Not sure if if you should run out and  start investing in to much equipment yet,,look at some used 48" 5* stuff at 2x , it will give you a good feel of whats needed, 2nd get on a trackman it will humble you a bit , but compare Long drive numbers to yours, BS, Aof attack, Launch  Angle and Spin rate, , and last go to a qualifier if you can,  there is no comparsion from hitting at the range to competing. Speed and balance drills

#7 Carvallo Golf

Carvallo Golf

Hall of shame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 474344
  • Handicap:able
GolfWRX Likes : 92

Posted 20 September 2017 - 12:08 PM

Look up Krank, they were recently trolling on facebook for player reps.  I think buy in was $999 USD and got you a  trunk full of clubs and other gear.  They obviously are looking to move product, but it sounded like a good way to buy into the game if WLD is your thing.
Current WITB:
Driver: Taylormade R7 TP 8.5
Fwy Woods: new woods in process for next season
Irons: new set in process for next season
Wedges: Taylormade Tour Issue EF 54&60 deg w/TT DG X100
Putter: Slotline HMI w/Superstroke Slim 3.0
Ball: TP5 (bye bye bridgestone)

#8 Rpete33

Rpete33

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2017 - 08:02 PM

Found a brute 3 degree driver...should be fun

#9 Hubijerk

Hubijerk

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 305901
  • Handicap:0
  • Ebay ID:hubijerk2p7b
GolfWRX Likes : 252

Posted 26 December 2017 - 03:24 AM

View PostRpete33, on 20 September 2017 - 08:02 PM, said:

Im curious as to how its going, and how you liked the brute?  I just ordered one to mess around with also.
You can't sneak the cheese by a rat

#10 Silicon Valley Dale

Silicon Valley Dale

Advanced

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 487608
GolfWRX Likes : 162

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:49 AM

Curious Hubi, how do you like your 3* Brute? I have one as well, got it for half a song. No dance. Anyways, it's solid as heck. It made me realize one thing, I need swing help/lessons. I still spin it in the 3500-4000 range. My ball goes out fast, gets to carry distance, then falls right out of the sky. It has the stock spectre 48" shaft in xxx. I can't swing to xxx flex, but I still sky it with high spin. I need the swing doc for sure. For reference I'm 125-130 average SS so competing in LD is well into my past. Still fun to hit a club less than 1% can hit.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 Hubijerk

Hubijerk

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:41 PM

View PostSilicon Valley Dale, on 12 January 2018 - 02:49 AM, said:

Curious Hubi, how do you like your 3* Brute? I have one as well, got it for half a song. No dance. Anyways, it's solid as heck. It made me realize one thing, I need swing help/lessons. I still spin it in the 3500-4000 range. My ball goes out fast, gets to carry distance, then falls right out of the sky. It has the stock spectre 48" shaft in xxx. I can't swing to xxx flex, but I still sky it with high spin. I need the swing doc for sure. For reference I'm 125-130 average SS so competing in LD is well into my past. Still fun to hit a club less than 1% can hit.

I have a 6 degree Brute 2 I bent to 5 to open the face a bit, I actually built this for 1. fun 2. speedwork range sessions 3. There are 1 or 2 courses that have tournaments where it's straight up bomb and gouge.  This past year I played I was ripping driver a long way but always found myself just short of clearing trouble.  And extra 15-30 yards irregardless of accuracy would put me clear of it.  It's a short course so I could pull a long iron or hybrid, or even 3 wood and add the long driver.

I have been super impressed with the Brute, the crown paint job is awesome and while it's not a fancy design it works.  My only gripe would be that they come 198-202g and while I like that headweight, I'd rather it lighter so I can drill a hotmelt hole and add weight to preference .  I put a 275 CPM HOF Platinum in it which I think is XX and tipped it an inch so there's more kick but still very stiff in tip.  The Platinum is a high kickpoint shaft so the high hinge keeps the flight low and the tip makes it very accurate and low spin.  It's one of my fav. shafts actually.

I am a high ballflight guy too, but it's a very flat flight, get's up quick and goes.  Everyone I play with comments how high my flight is but part of that comes with high swing speed, I'm working on keeping it lower for windy days and that's just mechanics and understanding angles and release points and getting comfortable with it.

As far as guys looking for lower lofted driver heads the Brute 2 is a nice option and the lie angles are flatter and it bends easy.  Robert at HOF is a supplier and is a good guy and I can't recommend him enough for stuff like this.

Edited by Hubijerk, 13 January 2018 - 07:42 PM.

#12 Cicero

Cicero

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41303
GolfWRX Likes : 367

Posted 14 January 2018 - 03:57 PM

View PostSilicon Valley Dale, on 12 January 2018 - 02:49 AM, said:

First place to check is contact.  Get some face tape or foot powder, make sure you’re not hitting it low and/or toward the heel.  That much spin on that low a loft almost has to be some type of an impact issue, and impact location is a good place to start.

What is your angle of attack like?

Edited by Cicero, 14 January 2018 - 03:57 PM.

#13 Silicon Valley Dale

Silicon Valley Dale

Advanced

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 487608
GolfWRX Likes : 162

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:34 PM

Thanks Hubi and Cicero! Until I hit on a simulator a couple years ago, I always thought I was a freak of physics. I'd occasionally absolutely smash one, usually downwind, an absurd distance. I've cleared 400 on gps a few times when conditions are just right. Most drives fell within the realm of normal and anything into the wind left a lot of meat on the bone. Sometimes embarrassingly so even on well struck balls.

To answer the one question about angle of attack, it's always been just about optimum, which is what really confused me. Typically I'm 1-3* positive. The sweet spot.

On a sim my ball sprints to 270-290 and then falls straight down out of the sky. It starts to stall at 260, is done by 290, then falls straight down with no roll. The apex looks like the apex with my gap wedge. Any wind in my face magnifies this. On a sim, I get a lot of lookie Lou's. Most of them watch a shot or two and walk away shaking their heads. The sound of the ball hitting the impact screen is fairly unique. I didn't understand this until a couple months ago and the sim next to me was making a tremendous noise. I turned into being the lookie Lou and the first thing I noticed was his swing speed was 10-15mph less than mine. What shocked me was his ball was going quite a bit further total than mine was. 20 yards or so. I watched a few more shots and his ball never stalled out in mid air. Where mine started to stall his continued to fight the air and plow forward. When mine carried 282.6 with a total of 284.1, his carried 286 and total was 315. His drives  weren't spinning like full wedges when they hit.

So what was he doing different? Was he playing optimized equipment and I wasn't? Probably to a minor degree. I've tried just about every piece of equipment. I couldn't stock a good golf shop but I could provide a demo of just about every modern club. I've tried just about every combination of shaft as well. Nothing has been great for me. Some are better than others but seeing my swing speed and the end results, nothing made any sense. Especially when everything is in the sweet spot as far as numbers go.

What was/am I doing wrong. I'm pretty sure I've finally figured it out by studying swing  video of myself and eliminating all other variables. I'm 99.99% sure that my problem is the club getting ahead of my hands. While my AOA is in the prime I've been adding another 5-10* of launch angle because my hands are behind the cball with impact angle still going up at impact. No wonder the ball is going so high. Skying a 3* LD Driver was my first clue to this and having someone film my swing while I also recorded the swing of the previously mentioned guy in the sim beside me. Comparing the two swings at impact, his hands are at or even ahead of the ball at impact. Mine are well behind. Looking into it further, it also explains why I get so much spin. My very best strikes are still 3k+ and an average strike is over 4K. I wish it was a matter of just hitting the center of the club as one of you mentioned. I've hit enough shots that I can usually tell on feel alone exactly where on the face it was struck. When I look at spin numbers I only compare anything that I know to be a center strike. Anything more that 1/8" from center and I'll throw it out when considering spin numbers. Those RPM's  go up really quick.

So how am I going to fix this? I'm not a golf swing expert but now that I know what the problem is, at least I can work on correcting it. This has been a multiple year quest to identify and correct. I never even knew it was an issue until I hit a few on a sim and saw the numbers and the ball stalling. Prior to that I just thought my high ball flight was not a good flight into the wind. So far I can keep a very easy swing in the proper position. I'm talking under 105 SS. The results have been very positive with this swing. Everything is optimum which finally! includes the spin. At 105, I'm hardly behind my all out swing in distance. That's a clear tell on how bad of a problem this is when I'm stating that my 105 swing is getting the same distance as my 125-130. I haven't been able to correct it yet on full swings but I'll get there. So far anything much over that is reverting back into the balloon.

#14 Hubijerk

Hubijerk

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:34 AM

I was going to say it sounds like a stall/flip..  http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/768753-eliminating-early-extension-once-and-for-all/page__st__180

Check this thread out, pretty much deals with that and theres some gold in there from monte and iteach

#15 Cicero

Cicero

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41303
GolfWRX Likes : 367

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:49 AM

View PostSilicon Valley Dale, on 15 January 2018 - 09:34 PM, said:

Thanks Hubi and Cicero! Until I hit on a simulator a couple years ago, I always thought I was a freak of physics. I'd occasionally absolutely smash one, usually downwind, an absurd distance. I've cleared 400 on gps a few times when conditions are just right. Most drives fell within the realm of normal and anything into the wind left a lot of meat on the bone. Sometimes embarrassingly so even on well struck balls.

To answer the one question about angle of attack, it's always been just about optimum, which is what really confused me. Typically I'm 1-3* positive. The sweet spot.

On a sim my ball sprints to 270-290 and then falls straight down out of the sky. It starts to stall at 260, is done by 290, then falls straight down with no roll. The apex looks like the apex with my gap wedge. Any wind in my face magnifies this. On a sim, I get a lot of lookie Lou's. Most of them watch a shot or two and walk away shaking their heads. The sound of the ball hitting the impact screen is fairly unique. I didn't understand this until a couple months ago and the sim next to me was making a tremendous noise. I turned into being the lookie Lou and the first thing I noticed was his swing speed was 10-15mph less than mine. What shocked me was his ball was going quite a bit further total than mine was. 20 yards or so. I watched a few more shots and his ball never stalled out in mid air. Where mine started to stall his continued to fight the air and plow forward. When mine carried 282.6 with a total of 284.1, his carried 286 and total was 315. His drives  weren't spinning like full wedges when they hit.

So what was he doing different? Was he playing optimized equipment and I wasn't? Probably to a minor degree. I've tried just about every piece of equipment. I couldn't stock a good golf shop but I could provide a demo of just about every modern club. I've tried just about every combination of shaft as well. Nothing has been great for me. Some are better than others but seeing my swing speed and the end results, nothing made any sense. Especially when everything is in the sweet spot as far as numbers go.

What was/am I doing wrong. I'm pretty sure I've finally figured it out by studying swing  video of myself and eliminating all other variables. I'm 99.99% sure that my problem is the club getting ahead of my hands. While my AOA is in the prime I've been adding another 5-10* of launch angle because my hands are behind the cball with impact angle still going up at impact. No wonder the ball is going so high. Skying a 3* LD Driver was my first clue to this and having someone film my swing while I also recorded the swing of the previously mentioned guy in the sim beside me. Comparing the two swings at impact, his hands are at or even ahead of the ball at impact. Mine are well behind. Looking into it further, it also explains why I get so much spin. My very best strikes are still 3k+ and an average strike is over 4K. I wish it was a matter of just hitting the center of the club as one of you mentioned. I've hit enough shots that I can usually tell on feel alone exactly where on the face it was struck. When I look at spin numbers I only compare anything that I know to be a center strike. Anything more that 1/8" from center and I'll throw it out when considering spin numbers. Those RPM's  go up really quick.

So how am I going to fix this? I'm not a golf swing expert but now that I know what the problem is, at least I can work on correcting it. This has been a multiple year quest to identify and correct. I never even knew it was an issue until I hit a few on a sim and saw the numbers and the ball stalling. Prior to that I just thought my high ball flight was not a good flight into the wind. So far I can keep a very easy swing in the proper position. I'm talking under 105 SS. The results have been very positive with this swing. Everything is optimum which finally! includes the spin. At 105, I'm hardly behind my all out swing in distance. That's a clear tell on how bad of a problem this is when I'm stating that my 105 swing is getting the same distance as my 125-130. I haven't been able to correct it yet on full swings but I'll get there. So far anything much over that is reverting back into the balloon.

You’ll probably need to post a face-on swing to get a good recommendation.  I’m hoping Monte chimes in; his background in LD, playing pro golf, and instruction could help you out a lot.

Disclaimer:  These are some things that worked for me.  I’m no instructor, so take them with a pile of salt :)

Two non-mechanical thoughts that helped me out with flipping were 1) Trying to swing as fast as I could, making the “swoosh” occur after the ball; and 2) Trying to imagine flattening the ball on the face.  

Also, as a temporary band-aid, move the ball back some.  With your swing as is, teeing the ball way forward and high results in too much dynamic loft, so this is something you could do in a pinch.

One more thing to try:  Set up with the face fairly shut, and try to hit the ball without hooking it, and without hanging on.  If it works, it should encourage you move the point where the club passes your hands a little more forward, to prevent the club from sending the ball left.

#16 Kevin Blenkhorn

Kevin Blenkhorn

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 494648
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 25 February 2018 - 04:11 PM

View PostRpete33, on 20 September 2017 - 08:02 PM, said:

How are you making out with that Brute?  I switched to them last yr and very solid head. Have a new company making me a head n china right now but it will have to be pretty special for me to switch. Brute has discontinued with the 2.0 and are coming out with a new head so if you really like it  are still looking at competing I would advise on getting another one as back up. As far as the 3 degree goes that is a pretty aggressive loft to start out with. I would suggest if you get another onepick up a 5 or 6.  
    e brutally honest here, if you are really interested in LD I will give you some of my specs and keep in mind I turn 49 next month and am in my 4th yr in the senior div and am no where near competitive in the top ranks of the open anymore and short of trying to kill myself to try and add 10 mre MPH CHS I never will be again.
  CHS  136-140  ( trying to get to 140-143 to be in the top end of the senior div.)
  Spin with the Brute 2.0 and the HOF code blue XX with a 268 on my freq meter -  1800-2100
  BS good ones at the moment in the ballpark of 200MPH.      
   BTW my profile pic is what it looks like after you just hit your last ball crappy to finish 2nd for the 3rd time at the WLDC..    I use it as motivation!!...lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors