Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

Any funny stories about a pseudo-long hitter?

163 replies to this topic

#31 Petunia Sprinkle

Petunia Sprinkle

Future King of France

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,256 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 397380
GolfWRX Likes : 3243

Posted 20 September 2017 - 09:22 AM

View Postnitram, on 20 September 2017 - 08:22 AM, said:

View PostQqq123xx, on 19 September 2017 - 06:17 PM, said:

Once I played with Dudley Do Right, UnderDog, and Mr. Ed. And I have no idea where to start.

Does Ed use a Vardon or interlock?

Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh, Wilbur!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 farmer

farmer

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,411 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70095
GolfWRX Likes : 2309

Posted 20 September 2017 - 01:23 PM

We have a guy who has a Dalyesque swing, about the same age, 6-7" taller, considerably less self abuse and bigger.  He will tell you he doesn't care about score, he just likes to hit it hard.  Maybe two or three times in a round, he will just kill one that winds up in a useful place, and he is happy.  He can't really "play", but he is a great scramble partner in our holiday club events.  He's fun to play with, doesn't take the misses poorly, and enjoys the bombs.  I played in a tournament with a guy who thought he was long, was erratic in the same sense that an F1 car is nimble, and insisted in starting his ball search at times fifty yards ahead of where we found his ball.  He was aggravating, not just from looking for his ball constantly, but there was always something that must have happened.  Hit a rock, someone in another group threw his ball, he overpowered the shaft, the ball was bad, not-my-fault.  He hit maybe four fairways, not ours, mind you, but adjacent that he said gave him a better angle, although miles off line.  I was rude, and finally quit helping him look.  Agonizing.

#33 alittleoverpar

alittleoverpar

Cousin Jess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62687
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 556

Posted 20 September 2017 - 01:40 PM

View Postfarmer, on 20 September 2017 - 01:23 PM, said:

We have a guy who has a Dalyesque swing, about the same age, 6-7" taller, considerably less self abuse and bigger.  He will tell you he doesn't care about score, he just likes to hit it hard.  Maybe two or three times in a round, he will just kill one that winds up in a useful place, and he is happy.  He can't really "play", but he is a great scramble partner in our holiday club events.  He's fun to play with, doesn't take the misses poorly, and enjoys the bombs.  I played in a tournament with a guy who thought he was long, was erratic in the same sense that an F1 car is nimble, and insisted in starting his ball search at times fifty yards ahead of where we found his ball.  He was aggravating, not just from looking for his ball constantly, but there was always something that must have happened.  Hit a rock, someone in another group threw his ball, he overpowered the shaft, the ball was bad, not-my-fault.  He hit maybe four fairways, not ours, mind you, but adjacent that he said gave him a better angle, although miles off line.  I was rude, and finally quit helping him look.  Agonizing.

I can relate to this.  I "love" playing with guys who hit their drives 40 yards wide of the fairway and then start searching for it 50 yards forward of where it is.  I work extra hard to help them find the ball just so they can see they didn't hit it as far as they thought.
Callaway FT Tour 10.5* - Prolaunch Blue 75 X
Sonartec GS Tour 14*, 18* - Red Ice 70 X
Callaway Razr X MB 4 - PW - PX 6.5
Callaway X-Forged 54*, 58* - S400
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Long Neck Tei3
Jones Utility Stand Bag

#34 Qqq123xx

Qqq123xx

I wake up take a few steps and am in a haze the rest of the day.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,024 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 264022
  • Handicap:XX.7
GolfWRX Likes : 11605

Posted 20 September 2017 - 01:51 PM

View Postnitram, on 20 September 2017 - 08:22 AM, said:

View PostQqq123xx, on 19 September 2017 - 06:17 PM, said:

Once I played with Dudley Do Right, UnderDog, and Mr. Ed. And I have no idea where to start.

Does Ed use a Vardon or interlock?
Both. Quite a thing to see.
Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9  4-gw. TT  reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
Nxt Tour.
Cleveland Classic #4

#35 Man_O_War

Man_O_War

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135721
GolfWRX Likes : 813

Posted 20 September 2017 - 02:32 PM

played with Steve Wilson.. former NFL man from yonder. 532 yard par 5 .  No wind, flat layout. Driver/wedge/eagle

Cobra LTD Pro Fujikura Speeder Evolution II 661
Cobra LTD 3/4  Kai'li 80
Cobra LTD 4/5  Kai'li 80
TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*/Cobra F6 Tour Issue Hybrid 3/4 UST IROD/
Srixon Z945 4-PW Modus3 125
Nike Engage Wedges 52 sq, 54 sq, 58 TS, 60 TS KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6 Black/Bettinardi Studio Stock #2/B Grace Artist Series
Nike RZN tour Plat/Black/Srixon Z-STAR XV

#36 sheppy335

sheppy335

TMAG Junkie

• 5,858 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11865
  • Handicap:19
  • Ebay ID:sheppy33
GolfWRX Likes : 694

Posted 20 September 2017 - 03:02 PM

Yeah i seem to have lost those guys now with GPS. I do remember the delusional days of golf. I will run into some people that dont own a GPS that still think they hit a ball 2 miles. They ask for a yardage and get mad then stop after a couple holes.

I am there to have fun, play my game not aggravate anyone. Now a days i love approach shorts within 5 feet and long putts that drop more than anything.
TM M1 430 TP 10.5 Mitsubishi Kai'li
TM M2 Tour 15 Kuro Kage
TM RBZ Tour HL3 17 UST V2
TM TP UDI 2 iron 18 UST Recoil 110
TM TP UDI 3 iron 20 Paderson KINETXX 950
TM RSi TP UDI 4 iron 23 Aldila Trinity 65
TM PSi 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 130
TM xFT TP 50, 54, 58 Nippon Pro WV115
TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

I drop the 2 iron or one of the other UDI's based on course.

#37 gripandrip

gripandrip

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121337
GolfWRX Likes : 192

Posted 20 September 2017 - 03:31 PM

I played in a scramble golf outing that gave you an option of kicking in a donation to have a designated hitter put out a drive for your foursome. At one particular tee it was a girl from a local college team (Div 2). I watched a foursome give this poor lady the business and said they didn't need a drive hit by a girl ... they were long already. They all teed off, and as a result of the ribbing, the girl hit a drive to show them what they were missing. She bombed it about 30 yards past the longest hitter....

#38 MidwestGolfBum

MidwestGolfBum

Tour Winner

• 967 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 304799
GolfWRX Likes : 502

Posted 20 September 2017 - 04:18 PM

View Postgripandrip, on 20 September 2017 - 03:31 PM, said:

I played in a scramble golf outing that gave you an option of kicking in a donation to have a designated hitter put out a drive for your foursome. At one particular tee it was a girl from a local college team (Div 2). I watched a foursome give this poor lady the business and said they didn't need a drive hit by a girl ... they were long already. They all teed off, and as a result of the ribbing, the girl hit a drive to show them what they were missing. She bombed it about 30 yards past the longest hitter....

I always enjoy seeing these things happen. Had a booster outing for one of the schools that one of my regular foursome's kids go to and had the kids out there hitting shots and watched several groups who did basically the same thing saying they were plenty long enough so they didn't need them to hit. Each time the guys would hit too, just to say loose and almost without fail they would be well past the group who were all "too long to need the help".

There are a few guys who were talking about how long they hit it; like 300+ long with ease. One of the guys who I play with who is 6'5" with a huge swing arc on a repeatable swing happily shows them what 300+ actually looks like. It's always fun to watch them make up an excuse as to why they didn't get it out there that far or claim he must hit it 350 since they are 50 back of him. Playing scrambles with him is always a good time because I get to play from spots I never really see.
Titleist 917 D3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 125 TX 70
Titleist 917F3 15* Graphite Design AD-DI 7X black
Titleist 19.5* 816 H2 HZRDUS Hybrid 85G X
Titleist 714 MB 4-9 KBS Tour-V X or Cally RazrX MB 4-9 KBS Tour-V S Hard-Stepped
Vokey SM5, 52.08, 56.10, 60.08 all with hard stepped KBS Tour-V S
Byron DH89 or Piretti Proto

The bag is always a work in progress.

#39 gripandrip

gripandrip

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121337
GolfWRX Likes : 192

Posted 20 September 2017 - 05:53 PM

View PostMidwestGolfBum, on 20 September 2017 - 04:18 PM, said:

I always enjoy seeing these things happen. Had a booster outing for one of the schools that one of my regular foursome's kids go to and had the kids out there hitting shots and watched several groups who did basically the same thing saying they were plenty long enough so they didn't need them to hit. Each time the guys would hit too, just to say loose and almost without fail they would be well past the group who were all "too long to need the help".

There are a few guys who were talking about how long they hit it; like 300+ long with ease. One of the guys who I play with who is 6'5" with a huge swing arc on a repeatable swing happily shows them what 300+ actually looks like. It's always fun to watch them make up an excuse as to why they didn't get it out there that far or claim he must hit it 350 since they are 50 back of him. Playing scrambles with him is always a good time because I get to play from spots I never really see.

I play with a couple of guys in scrambles and experience the same thing.. the only problem is that you get "used" to your approach distance and it is a whole new game with these guys... not that I mind being 50 yards of the green on most par 4's in a scramble.

#40 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• 19,450 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
  • Handicap:1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 19395

Posted 20 September 2017 - 06:33 PM

One of the lowest scores i've ever put up in a scramble was actually as a mixed gender scramble with a woman who drove it a legit 240-250.

She got to play from the ladies tees LOL....and she really couldn't do much other than drive. Very little touch or putting help. But my god....the ladies tees were like 250-320yds on most holes and she didn't miss a fairway.

My irons didn't need to be cleaned after that round! I don't think i hit a single shot with anything other than wedges or putter

Callaway Epic Subzero 8 w/Diamana D+ 70
Callaway XR Pro 14 w/Diamana D+ 80
Callaway Steelhead XR 3 iron w/S300
Callaway Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
Callaway MD Forged 52,56,60 w/S200
Odyssey Versa Works 1W Tank

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#41 CMCSGolf

CMCSGolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 441076
GolfWRX Likes : 111

Posted 20 September 2017 - 07:26 PM

The more common manifestation of this syndrome happens when I play with people and tell them how far I hit it.  I'm a low single digit who carries it like 240-250 with most drives ending up 260-270. Pretty average all things considered.

A lot of times I'm paired up with random people and they are amazed by how far I hit it because it is 50-60 yards past the average drive of a 20 handicap.  When I'm asked how far I hit it and I tell them something less than 300, people tell me I'm lying all the time because this would mean their drives are only going 220.  They are convinced I'm hitting it 330 all day long, even though most of the holes are only 350 on my course...

#42 Shipwreck

Shipwreck

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,388 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125845
GolfWRX Likes : 1186

Posted 21 September 2017 - 03:21 AM

I played in a scramble once with a guy, former MLB catcher, who had the touch of a blacksmith on ice skates but good lord could he hit the 3 wood. Hole #6 at Arizona National is a dog leg left (not too severe) playing about 340-350 from the whites. You have desert to the left and a gulley that runs down that side. I hit my normal 3 wood about 230-240 down the middle leaving a wedge (about 100-110) in. He rips his 3 wood straight over the corner, with a draw and we have 30 yards in. Guy couldn't hit a driver to save his life though.

Another time playing with my buddy who is very long, about 320-330 and we are playing with a guy who says he is normally about 270-280. My buddy hits his normal tee shot on a straight par 5 and blows it about 90 yards past the other dude. Guy just looks in amazement and says "whoa. You must have hit that about 380 easily!" No bruh you only hit your driver about 230 tops.
Driver - 2016 M2 HL w/ Kuro Kage TINI proto X Stiff
3 Wood - 2016 M2 HL w/ Diamana Blueboard Stiff Flex
3/4 Irons - Mizuno MPH5 w/ KBS Tour 125 S+
5-PW - Mizuno MP25 w/ KBS Tour 125 S+
Wedges - Callaway MD3 51/56/60 w/ KBS Wedge Flex
Putter - Scotty Cameron Kombi S

#43 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

Hall of Fame

• 8,065 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99408
GolfWRX Likes : 4055

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:14 AM

I have to be careful now to not be one of those guys.

I was never really long, but maybe long enough to be considered in the upper tier of our area (small rural area, so being in the upper tier doesn't really mean that much). But enough that most par fives were reachable in two along with the occasional drivable par four. So I waited often. That waiting kind of becomes habit, but as the years creep on all of sudden that length just isn't there anymore.  Yet, still remembering those days, a guy still waits, and then looks like a fool when you can't get there.

Last week, a dogleg par four with a lake through the fairway. Have always hit 3 wood there. Hit the driver, buddy says "that could be in trouble". I told him I didn't think I could reach the trouble anymore.  I was right, barely through the fairway, and 15 yards from the lake.

It's a hard habit to break, and a nasty dose of reality.
Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

#44 Man_O_War

Man_O_War

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135721
GolfWRX Likes : 813

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:58 AM

View Postdeadsolid...shank, on 21 September 2017 - 08:14 AM, said:

I was never really long, but maybe long enough to be considered in the upper tier of our area (small rural area, so being in the upper tier doesn't really mean that much). But enough that most par fives were reachable in two along with the occasional drivable par four. So I waited often. That waiting kind of becomes habit, but as the years creep on all of sudden that length just isn't there anymore.  Yet, still remembering those days, a guy still waits, and then looks like a fool when you can't get there.

Last week, a dogleg par four with a lake through the fairway. Have always hit 3 wood there. Hit the driver, buddy says "that could be in trouble". I told him I didn't think I could reach the trouble anymore.  I was right, barely through the fairway, and 15 yards from the lake.

nothing like waiting in a group you don't know and duffing one after the wait
Cobra LTD Pro Fujikura Speeder Evolution II 661
Cobra LTD 3/4  Kai'li 80
Cobra LTD 4/5  Kai'li 80
TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*/Cobra F6 Tour Issue Hybrid 3/4 UST IROD/
Srixon Z945 4-PW Modus3 125
Nike Engage Wedges 52 sq, 54 sq, 58 TS, 60 TS KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6 Black/Bettinardi Studio Stock #2/B Grace Artist Series
Nike RZN tour Plat/Black/Srixon Z-STAR XV

#45 SMcGavin1

SMcGavin1

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 440332
  • Handicap:+0.5
GolfWRX Likes : 32

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:02 AM

Just think how much worse it will get if the delusional millennials start playing more golf. Their drives will average 350 yards and they will all be scratch golfers even though they have played less than 50 rounds in their life lol.

Meh I've played with a lot more old dudes that were way more delusional. Top quotes I hear:

"I might be scratch too if I started playing as a kid, that's the key right there" - yea whatever you say bro

"I shot XX (usually sub-80) here last week" - while they are firing a smooth 93

In my experience older guys are quick to be offended by inconsequential things, more competitive which makes them petty at times, and definitely take themselves too seriously. Millennials on the other hand are just out there to be out there. The guys I've played with just wanted to drink some beers, laugh, play music (I know the audacity), and enjoy some guy time. This could be perceived as lackadaisical, but to me, if you're a 15+ handicapper, isn't that what the game is? You're no world beater so why not just have a good time? (I am a millennial for full disclosure)

"

#46 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

Hall of Fame

• 8,065 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:08 AM

View PostSMcGavin1, on 21 September 2017 - 09:02 AM, said:

Just think how much worse it will get if the delusional millennials start playing more golf. Their drives will average 350 yards and they will all be scratch golfers even though they have played less than 50 rounds in their life lol.

Meh I've played with a lot more old dudes that were way more delusional. Top quotes I hear:

"I might be scratch too if I started playing as a kid, that's the key right there" - yea whatever you say bro

"I shot XX (usually sub-80) here last week" - while they are firing a smooth 93

In my experience older guys are quick to be offended by inconsequential things, more competitive which makes them petty at times, and definitely take themselves too seriously. Millennials on the other hand are just out there to be out there. The guys I've played with just wanted to drink some beers, laugh, play music (I know the audacity), and enjoy some guy time. This could be perceived as lackadaisical, but to me, if you're a 15+ handicapper, isn't that what the game is? You're no world beater so why not just have a good time? (I am a millennial for full disclosure)

"

Ive seen that attitude from every age demographic. None more so than any other.

Edited by deadsolid...shank, 21 September 2017 - 09:08 AM.

Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

#47 LeftDaddy

LeftDaddy

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 373917
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 195

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:59 AM

I have a good friend who is crazy long.  He has a driver from about 10-15 years ago and has it at like 10.5 loft, and hits it so high that rain falls from the clouds as the ball grazes them...and his drives land in the fairway and take one small hop and stop (like a PW)...and he wins every long drive contest in every scramble he plays.  I'd say his average drive is 340, all carry.  I've told him that he should change his launch angle etc and he could get even more yards, but he objects saying that he has a lot more control with that old driver that launches super high...he rarely gets in trouble off the tee.

The cool thing about his ball flight is that trees don't affect the lines he takes whatsoever, because he hits it over all of them.  The first few times I played with him, I couldn't believe the lines he was taking but now I realize why.

When we play scrambles with guys that don't know him, they shut up real quick about their driving prowess.  It gets to the point where several in the group won't even bother hitting off the tee.  I just laugh as we are "sizing each other up" at the tee trying to figure out the hitting order, etc.
Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
Bettinardi BB1

#48 bazinky

bazinky

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33287
GolfWRX Likes : 553

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:40 AM

Playing as a single in the middle of the week several years ago and got paired up with another single I'll call Johnny Longball and a twosome. The twosome were big, athletic looking guys dressed in cargo shorts, backward baseball caps, and both had dips so big it looked like they were storing a golf ball in their mouth. As we were waiting to tee off, Johnny Longball announces that he is going to play the tips, but suggests that the rest of us play up because he is "crazy long" (his own words).

This was a course that I played at pretty frequently, and I knew that the course basically let the local minor-league baseball players play there for free, so I had a pretty good idea of what I was about to see out of the twosome. We all decide to play back, and Johnny Longball hits his first drive about 250. I tee off and hit one about the same distance You can see where the ball ends up from the tee, until you get to the crest of a hill about 280 yards out. Johnny Longball is not pleased, and starts muttering about the wind. The twosome tee off last and both guys clear the crest of the hill on the fly. Johnny Longball is REALLY not happy now. Spent the whole day trying to out drive two professional baseball players that were 20 years his junior, and he kept getting shorter and shorter because his contact was getting so poor from over swinging.

The best part of the day was when he went to use the bathroom at the turn and we all teed off while we were waiting for him to come out. He hits his driver, and he's finally about 10 yards past both the guys in the twosome. When we get in the cart, he starts telling me that he finally really got a hold of one. I thought he was going to bust a vein when I told him that the twosome had both hit 3-iron off the tee!

Edited by bazinky, 21 September 2017 - 10:42 AM.

Cobra LTD @10.5 - UST Elements Chrome 6F4
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 @C1 (15.75) - MRC D+ Limited 80 S
Callaway X2Hot Pro @20 - Aldila Tour Green 75 S
Callaway X2Hot Pro @23 - Aldila Tour Green 75 S
Ping i20 5-UW - KBS Tour S - Yellow Dot
Ping Glide 54 SS - CFS Wedge S - Blue Dot
Ping Glide 58 ES - CFS Wedge S - Black Dot
Titleist Studio Select Newport 2 - 33"

#49 LeftDaddy

LeftDaddy

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 373917
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 195

Posted 21 September 2017 - 11:27 AM

View Postbazinky, on 21 September 2017 - 10:40 AM, said:

Playing as a single in the middle of the week several years ago and got paired up with another single I'll call Johnny Longball and a twosome. The twosome were big, athletic looking guys dressed in cargo shorts, backward baseball caps, and both had dips so big it looked like they were storing a golf ball in their mouth. As we were waiting to tee off, Johnny Longball announces that he is going to play the tips, but suggests that the rest of us play up because he is "crazy long" (his own words). This was a course that I played at pretty frequently, and I knew that the course basically let the local minor-league baseball players play there for free, so I had a pretty good idea of what I was about to see out of the twosome. We all decide to play back, and Johnny Longball hits his first drive about 250. I tee off and hit one about the same distance You can see where the ball ends up from the tee, until you get to the crest of a hill about 280 yards out. Johnny Longball is not pleased, and starts muttering about the wind. The twosome tee off last and both guys clear the crest of the hill on the fly. Johnny Longball is REALLY not happy now. Spent the whole day trying to out drive two professional baseball players that were 20 years his junior, and he kept getting shorter and shorter because his contact was getting so poor from over swinging. The best part of the day was when he went to use the bathroom at the turn and we all teed off while we were waiting for him to come out. He hits his driver, and he's finally about 10 yards past both the guys in the twosome. When we get in the cart, he starts telling me that he finally really got a hold of one. I thought he was going to bust a vein when I told him that the twosome had both hit 3-iron off the tee!

Reminds me of a round I played this summer.  Got paired with a threesome...older man and his two sons.  The youngest of the sons was the "golfer" of the group (or so they said).  As we were assessing what tees to play, the Dad and the nicer of the two sons played up...and the younger one played back with me.  He and I shared a cart, and he kept talking about his 300 yard drives.  We hit a par 5 that was listed at about 480-500, but I know the hole and it has a hard dogleg and an approach over water.  So I tried to tell the guy that I don't even bother trying to reach it and lay up off the tee and on the second shot...but he says "well, I hit my drives 300-320, so that only leaves me like a 4 or 5 iron in.  I'm not laying up".  Anyway, I get a front 9 full of him talking about his 300-320 yard drives, but we never had a chance to "compare" because I was hitting woods / irons off the tee a lot.  He had a pretty ugly swing, was decently long (but not any longer than me), and he definitely wasn't hitting anything 300-320.

Anyway, finally on 10 we both hit driver and both on the same line...and I ended up 15 yards ahead of him.  So we pull up to our balls and he automatically heads for the longest ball, and I knew it was mine.  I say "what ball were you playing?" and anyway we eventually sort out that the up ball is mine.  But he can't believe it, so he starts to rethink what ball he was playing, and I remind him that my ball has certain marks on it.  He then searches around for another ball past mine and I finally just have to stop him and tell him that the ball 15 yards back is his...I saw you hit the same ball on the last hole.  So he then mutters about that ball being old and worn out etc but eventually moves on.

I estimate I hit my drive about 265 on that one (so his was 250)...I probably average 270-275 and I knew all along that I was as long if not longer than him and he definitely wasn't hitting anything 300-320.  He did bomb one later, probably about 280.  But he was super proud of that one (and he should have been).  

What really irked him was that later, we played a 220 yard par 3, and I hit a 3 iron to the front of the green (pin in middle).  He had a 3w in hand but saw me hit 3 iron and decided he needed a 4 or 5 iron.  I talked him out of it due to my knowledge of the hole, and he hit his 3w...short and left of the green.
Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
Bettinardi BB1

#50 kgeisler13

kgeisler13

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 314595
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 21 September 2017 - 11:33 AM

I hit the ball probably between 285-300 yes I know I am already setting myself up as one of these people you guys made this forum about lol.  I'm 6'4 and swing 120 mph so yes it goes far but not always straight.  It's always fun though to play with people who drive it 240-250 and think its 300 because they think you should be on tour when you hit it 50 yards past them.  I'm just they have no concept of how far they hit it or how hard it is to play golf at that level.

KG

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#51 fillwelix

fillwelix

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 249866
  • Handicap:7.5
GolfWRX Likes : 161

Posted 21 September 2017 - 12:15 PM

What baffles me the most is that these people never hit drives as far as they think they do, but stick to it like it's scripture. What could possibly bring people to stay adamant about their distance even in the face of facts? Regardless of wind, crappy ball, soft conditions, etc. I can almost guarantee none of them have ever hit a drive as long as they say. Another thing I love is they always say "I hit it 300." Never 290, never 310, it's just some magic number
WITB
Taylormade M1 2016 9.5*
Taylormade M2 2016 3HL
Taylormade M2 2017 3 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM6 50* 54* 58*
Byron Morgan DH89

#52 sprcoop

sprcoop

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114540
  • Handicap:16.6
GolfWRX Likes : 259

Posted 21 September 2017 - 12:38 PM

Last Saturday my buddy and I got paired with a couple guys we didn't know.  As we introduced ourselves I had to ask what basket ball team they were from.  I'm over 6' and strained my neck looking them in the eye while shaking hands.  Both over 6'3" easy.  One was a senior in HS the other freshman college.  Text book swings to my untrained eye.

Nicest people you would ever meet.  Neither one said a word about how long they were.

They played the tees behind us at 6700yds (they would have demolished this course from the tips at 7300), and the hang time on their drives was amazing.  On one 420yd hole I caught one with a good roll and got it out to 285 GPS measured (I ave. 235 total, mostly because low heel strikes don't seem to go very far).  They were past me with 2i and their tee box was 20yds behind me.  The rest of the day was even more embarrassing.

Fun to watch.

#53 dbrokee

dbrokee

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 273009
  • Handicap:14.6
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 21 September 2017 - 03:30 PM

I actually found one on a Youtube of a day in the life of a long drive hitter. Link to video and quotes of his comments below lol. For reference the course he is talking about is just over 6300 from the tips.

"With my driver, I am regularly around 320-340 off the tee (I weigh 160lbs and am 6' tall). He's only 50 past me, swinging as fast/wild/erratically as possible."

"Burt, I shot 72 today from the tips at Country Club of Harrisburg and birdied the par 5 #14 (528 yards from the back tees) with my 4 wood of the tee and my Ping G30 2 hybrid. I play for my college (Penn State University Harrisburg) and won't be on tour anytime soon (thanks NCAA)"
Titleist 910D2 - Driver
Nike VR Pro - 3 Wood
Nike VR Pro Cavity Backs - 4-PW
Nike SV - 50 Degree
Cobra Tour Trusty - 55 Degree
Titleist Vokey - 60 Degree
SeeMore FGP Milled SS303 - Putter

#54 pearsonified

pearsonified

Extreme enthusiast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 357207
  • Handicap:1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 726

Posted 21 September 2017 - 04:21 PM

My favorite is when someone plays with me, hits a drive off the fairway, and then tries to find it.

Thing is, they are often looking 75 yards or more past where their ball actually is. I get a sick pleasure out of telling them, "Hey, your ball is back there!"
TM 2017 M2 10.5º •• Project X LZ17 6.5 (tipped 0.5")
TM M2 3HL 16.5º •• Aldila NV 2KXV Orange X
Callaway Apex 20º •• Matrix Ozik Altus X
Adams MB2 4-G (22º-50.5º) •• Project X LZ 6.5
TM TP 54º/11º •• DG S400
Nike Engage Toe Sweep 60º •• DG S200
TM Spider Tour Black (35")

Current anti-handicap: 4.0
2017 Tournament Index: 2.66

#55 SoMoneyMuchWin

SoMoneyMuchWin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 389628
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 21 September 2017 - 05:30 PM

I can't believe these people are real.

#56 Pigems

Pigems

Left Handed

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,096 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 246559
  • Handicap:7.8
  • Ebay ID:Piggems
GolfWRX Likes : 16220

Posted 21 September 2017 - 06:19 PM

I'm really enjoying this thread, Keep'em coming Fella's!! :D
816 DBD 9.5*- KuroKage TiNi 60x
815 Alpha 14* KuroKage TiNi 70s
Titleist T-MB 3 iron - DG S400
Titleist 710 AP2 4-Pw - S300
Vokey SM2 52* 56*- S300
Vokey TVD 60*/07* S200
SC Studio Select NP2

#57 finleysg

finleysg

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 417906
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 529

Posted 21 September 2017 - 06:20 PM

I like to use the term "warning track power". I use it on myself all the time lately.
D: Callaway XR Pro - Ozik Red Tie
3W: Exotics E8 Beta - Aldila Rogue 110
3 - Ping Crossover
Wrenches: Ping S55 - P thru 4 - Project X Rifle 6.0
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 - 50, 56 (F), 60 (M)
Putter: OWorks 2-ball

Brand Loyalty: None

#58 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

Hall of Fame

• 8,065 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2017 - 07:11 PM

View Postfinleysg, on 21 September 2017 - 06:20 PM, said:

I like to use the term "warning track power". I use it on myself all the time lately.

I like that. I usually say, "well, at least it's deep enough to score a fast base runner!"
Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

#59 suprfli6

suprfli6

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 286428
  • Handicap:8-10
GolfWRX Likes : 184

Posted 21 September 2017 - 07:33 PM

View Postfillwelix, on 21 September 2017 - 12:15 PM, said:

What baffles me the most is that these people never hit drives as far as they think they do, but stick to it like it's scripture. What could possibly bring people to stay adamant about their distance even in the face of facts? Regardless of wind, crappy ball, soft conditions, etc. I can almost guarantee none of them have ever hit a drive as long as they say. Another thing I love is they always say "I hit it 300." Never 290, never 310, it's just some magic number
If I hit a perfect drive, with no wind or elevation or any other factors, I can carry about 265-270. And yet I've hit numerous drives over 350 total thanks to a firm and downhill fairway. So I absolutely believe that guys who carry it 220 or whatever might have actually hit a ball 300 yards before. Throw in inaccurate yardage markers and people can get all sorts of ideas.

#60 CrushSticks

CrushSticks

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 194408
  • Ebay ID:Fawkesman3000
GolfWRX Likes : 237

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:14 PM

I had a coworker for a few years who used to be a golf pro, but was going back to college. Insisted he was long, 320 average. It took a long time for us to tee it up and I constantly told him he was crazy. He even started to believe me even though I should have probably trusted him since he played D1 college golf.

Well we get to the 3rd tee of our first round together and he pulls driver. 350- measures. I dined on crow all day. Dude really averaged 320. I felt like an a**hat, but he was cool about it.

For the record, every other person who's ever told me that is a liar.

Wilson Fg Tour M3- Black Ops Black Mamba
Adams Tight Lies 3-16
Adams Tight Lies 5-19(Fuji Speeder 7.2)
Wilson FG Tour V4 Utility - 3
                Wilson FG Tour M3 4-GW (Dynamic Gold XP)
                Vokey SM 09 56
Odyssey Versa 1W WBW 34"

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors