Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

Any funny stories about a pseudo-long hitter?

153 replies to this topic

#121 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,555 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99408
GolfWRX Likes : 3607

Posted 28 September 2017 - 08:18 AM

Your-away!, on 28 September 2017 - 06:33 AM, said:

I went to the open this year and Sky sports do a special presentation thing next to the driving range, its actually quite good, anyway...

Thomas pieters is hitting a few drives with the presenter (nick dougherty) and asks for questions, a guy asks thomas what his driver carry is, thomas says something around the 300 yard mark, nick asks the guy back "whats yours?" guy says "oh about 250 - 260" nick bursts out laughing and says "yeah course it is!" and which point everyone who was there started laughing!

i felt so sorry for him, i think his p**** shrank by about 3 inches on that very comment..funny though!

Guy should have told Dougherty to shove it. What an a**.

Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#122 Your-away!

Your-away!

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 323581
GolfWRX Likes : 481

Posted 28 September 2017 - 08:24 AM

deadsolid...shank, on 28 September 2017 - 08:18 AM, said:

I went to the open this year and Sky sports do a special presentation thing next to the driving range, its actually quite good, anyway...

Thomas pieters is hitting a few drives with the presenter (nick dougherty) and asks for questions, a guy asks thomas what his driver carry is, thomas says something around the 300 yard mark, nick asks the guy back "whats yours?" guy says "oh about 250 - 260" nick bursts out laughing and says "yeah course it is!" and which point everyone who was there started laughing!

i felt so sorry for him, i think his p**** shrank by about 3 inches on that very comment..funny though!

Well if the guy had any balls he should have said "let me show you", but he didnt bless him
DRIVER:TI Taylormade Aeroburner 9* - Stiff Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1
3 WOOD:Taylormade Aeroburner TP 15* - Stiff Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 7.0
HYBRID: Adams super LS 19* - Radix Stiff
IRONS 3-PW: Srixon Z545 (3-4) - Z745 (4-7) 945 (8-PW) - Pro Modus 120s - 2* flat
WEDGES:Cleveland RTX 3 RAW 52 & 58 - Pro Modus 120s -  2* flat
PUTTER:Odyssey WBW 1W - flatso 1.0
BALL:Whichever gets bought for me, or found.

#123 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,555 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99408
GolfWRX Likes : 3607

Posted 28 September 2017 - 08:30 AM

Your-away!, on 28 September 2017 - 08:24 AM, said:

Well if the guy had any balls he should have said "let me show you", but he didnt bless him

Yeah, and then if had carried it what he said ( because there really are people out there that can carry it 250 on a regular basis) do you suppose he would have gotten an apology?
Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

#124 MrJones

MrJones

Waiting for the weekend...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,096 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18450
  • Handicap:4.4
GolfWRX Likes : 504

Posted 28 September 2017 - 08:38 AM

deadsolid...shank, on 28 September 2017 - 08:30 AM, said:

Your-away!, on 28 September 2017 - 08:24 AM, said:

Yeah, and then if had carried it what he said ( because there really are people out there that can carry it 250 on a regular basis) do you suppose he would have gotten an apology?

He shouldn't even wait for one. Just do a club twirl, toss driver to Dougherty, and do the Campbell's soup kid strut walking away like a boss.
Cobra Bio Cell Pro
Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood
Speedblades, 3-AW
Mizuno MP-R 54*, 60*   
Odyssey White Ice 1

#125 backinthegame

backinthegame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38375
  • Ebay ID:seachange03
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:17 AM

There's a field not far from where I work where I like to go hit shag balls.  It's kind of a little fraternity of guys out there.  Anyway, it's uphill and I am not a long hitter.
If I get ahold of one, I can get it out there 255-260 with roll-out.  Getting older, and clubhead speed is evaporating.
There were a couple of guys out there marveling over how far I was hitting it one day.  They said, "we know this field, and you are hitting it at least 280-290  yards".
I told them it was more like 235 up the hill.  Eventually they paced it off to prove me wrong.  It was 238. They were absolutely flabbergasted.  I think they just didn't want to believe they were hitting their drivers 190. I even shot a nearby tree with a laser and showed it to them.  Still they wanted to pace it off. Oh well.

#126 bassman1308

bassman1308

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24541
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:38 PM

Play scramble tourneys with a smaller built guy, short hitter, and two long hitters.  The short hitter proclaimed he would hit first and just
get it in the fairway so the long hitters could go for it.  Good teamwork I guess.  Was in Gulf Shores several years ago. Went to a shop with monitor set up.  All 3 of us hit with 2 of us being recommended for a reg/stiff  flex shaft. The  3 rd guy, who had a huge ego but was a good player also, was recommended for a senior flex.  he did not like it at all that I heard that.  claimed the low ceiling inhibited his swing.

#127 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459940
GolfWRX Likes : 120

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:03 PM

This relates to all the clowns I've seen who play from the black or blue tees, when they just spray it all over - big banana 210-yarders... Being big and macho isn't the qualifier. I just finally started moving back a tee. I'll be paying attention to the results...haha.

#128 phatchrisrules

phatchrisrules

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20680
  • Handicap:6.5
GolfWRX Likes : 323

Posted 29 September 2017 - 06:33 AM

bassman1308, on 28 September 2017 - 09:38 PM, said:

Play scramble tourneys with a smaller built guy, short hitter, and two long hitters.  The short hitter proclaimed he would hit first and just
get it in the fairway so the long hitters could go for it.  Good teamwork I guess.  Was in Gulf Shores several years ago. Went to a shop with monitor set up.  All 3 of us hit with 2 of us being recommended for a reg/stiff  flex shaft. The  3 rd guy, who had a huge ego but was a good player also, was recommended for a senior flex.  he did not like it at all that I heard that.  claimed the low ceiling inhibited his swing.

While it has no bearing whatsoever on the swing speed, many people don't feel comfortable in a simulator booth.  Personally, I don't see the big deal.  However, our store noticed the trend and have since moved 95% of our fittings to an open area.  The amount of comments about not feeling comfortable has dropped significantly.
G30 LS Tec
Taylormade R15 TP
Nike Vapor Flex
Adams 9031 Proto
Mizuno JPX900 Forged 6-PW
Miura 50*
Engage Toe Sweep 55* and Dual Sole 60*
Bettinardi Inovai

#129 HatsForBats

HatsForBats

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 433112
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 386

Posted 29 September 2017 - 07:45 AM

phatchrisrules, on 29 September 2017 - 06:33 AM, said:

While it has no bearing whatsoever on the swing speed, many people don't feel comfortable in a simulator booth.  Personally, I don't see the big deal.  However, our store noticed the trend and have since moved 95% of our fittings to an open area.  The amount of comments about not feeling comfortable has dropped significantly.

I can understand that. The first few times I used a simulator were not overly comfortable. Once I got used to them no big deal but if a player has only used them a handful of times I can see an increased likelihood of them not feeling comfortable. Then again many of us can be outside in perfect conditions and not be able to get comfortable that particular day. This is golf for the average player.

#130 MrJones

MrJones

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,096 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2017 - 07:57 AM

phatchrisrules, on 29 September 2017 - 06:33 AM, said:

bassman1308, on 28 September 2017 - 09:38 PM, said:

I have a buddy that's lean and tall with a very upright swing. He got into a local simulator with a low ceiling and told the guy he was worried he'd hit the light above his head. Guy assured him he wouldn't. Told him to go after the next one.

He busted the light. :)

Edited by MrJones, 29 September 2017 - 07:57 AM.

Cobra Bio Cell Pro
Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood
Speedblades, 3-AW
Mizuno MP-R 54*, 60*   
Odyssey White Ice 1

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#131 EKELLY

EKELLY

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 405114
  • Handicap:+2
  • Ebay ID:edwardkellyed
GolfWRX Likes : 979

Posted 29 September 2017 - 07:17 PM

Cicero, on 27 September 2017 - 09:05 AM, said:

kgeisler13, on 21 September 2017 - 11:33 AM, said:

I hit the ball probably between 285-300 yes I know I am already setting myself up as one of these people you guys made this forum about lol.  I'm 6'4 and swing 120 mph so yes it goes far but not always straight.  It's always fun though to play with people who drive it 240-250 and think its 300 because they think you should be on tour when you hit it 50 yards past them.  I'm just they have no concept of how far they hit it or how hard it is to play golf at that level.

This post brings up a question I often have.

Why is it that long hitters/high speed players feel like they have to "take the edge off"?  "I'm normally 300+, but I'm crooked" kind of thing?  It's like long hitters (especially on forums) almost feel like they have to cushion the blow so people don't think they're either bragging or lying.  But if someone says they shot even par, or are a plus handicap, it isn't the same.  It's strange because being scratch or shooting par seems much harder.  If you're strong or athletic enough, 300 isn't tough to get to, and takes way less skill.  Shooting par or being scratch is something that a lot of people strive for but will never get close to.  But those players are believed much more readily and with less fuss.  I wonder why that is; I haven't got a clue personally.
Hitting it 300+ is one thing, doing it consistently is another. Take away your Top amateurs and college players, you have a pretty small group of guys that are around scratch or better, or that can control the golf ball consistently. Technology today is amazing. 300 is still difficult though, but not according to some. Distance off the tee is WAY overrated. I got guys in my circle that hit it 260-270 TOPS, but they're better than scratch. Another couple can BOMB it, they'll never be better than a 6-8 true handicap...It comes down to technique! ..Scratch players are usually pretty laid back/quiet types. Yeah we talk a little smack, but you have to have a certain mindset/concentration level to play really good golf and keep your emotions in check, whether it's going really good, or bad. Sure, a guy can find 300 yards, but in my opinion, if you don't naturally have that kind of club head speed, it'll negatively affect the other aspects of your game......Good golf is about fairways and greens!!....

Edited by EKELLY, 29 September 2017 - 07:18 PM.

#132 miket_81

miket_81

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49796
GolfWRX Likes : 127

Posted 30 September 2017 - 12:02 AM

One of the worst is the guy that clubs off the one shot he caught a flier on one time. They are almost always short, and they can't believe it.
Go to attached link for $20 off your first order at ShortPar4.com
http://shortpar4.refr.cc/6DC52RQ

#133 BogeyFore5

BogeyFore5

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 357145
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 30 September 2017 - 04:25 AM

grew, on 25 September 2017 - 12:12 PM, said:

I am by no means a long hitter but i play at a small club and there aren't that many younger guys who are that long.  I want to take the time to complain about every old timer at my club who will spend all 18 holes commenting on how long I am and asking me "180 par 3 what did you hit a 9 iron?" dude it wasn't funny the first time and then to follow up on every drive i get in the fairway with "I remember when i was as long as you".

sigh...

Haha Im a member at a small club with lots of seniors, and I get this joke/comment with basically every single one of them I've played with.
Cobra F6+ - 9.5o
Titleist 913F - 15o
Titleist 913H - 19o
Mizuno MP-54 - 3i, 5i-PW
Cleveland RTX-3 - 50o, 54o, 58o
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

#134 elwhippy

elwhippy

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3536
GolfWRX Likes : 440

Posted 30 September 2017 - 12:09 PM

My definition of a long hitter is someone who can hit it over 275 yards, consistently and in play. Not Mr Lash Larroo who hits one monster a round and the rest all over the place. Our club has several people who think they can hit it past tour pros...then go and play in a large amateur event and get blown sideways by some 11 stone guy with an excellent technique. Mr Lash Larroo will forever bore you with tales of hitting it xxxx far on a hole in Portugal 20 years ago....while getting nowhere near his handicap.

#135 EKELLY

EKELLY

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 405114
  • Handicap:+2
  • Ebay ID:edwardkellyed
GolfWRX Likes : 979

Posted 30 September 2017 - 01:08 PM

elwhippy, on 30 September 2017 - 12:09 PM, said:

My definition of a long hitter is someone who can hit it over 275 yards, consistently and in play. Not Mr Lash Larroo who hits one monster a round and the rest all over the place. Our club has several people who think they can hit it past tour pros...then go and play in a large amateur event and get blown sideways by some 11 stone guy with an excellent technique. Mr Lash Larroo will forever bore you with tales of hitting it xxxx far on a hole in Portugal 20 years ago....while getting nowhere near his handicap.
Hey, I know Lash, and his brothers........LOL

#136 playa

playa

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,106 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 280775
GolfWRX Likes : 3756

Posted 30 September 2017 - 08:09 PM

I've played with plenty of long hitters over the years but only two that stand out as genuine 320 plus bombers. One was a former pro who regained am status. The day I played with him he had a hot faced driver, just before the ban kicked in. We were playing a 580 yard par 5 with a dog leg right. He crushed his drive on what I thought was a missed right line straight at the trees. Then I watch his ball get higher and plateau and just keep going, clearing the 60 odd foot high pine trees on the dogleg and land on the fairwarway about 7 iron out. Single most impressive drive I've ever seen.
A buddy and regular playing partner used to fly it 30 past my total distance back when I could move it about 280 myself. He was about 6'3" and built. His dad was past it when I met him, but was a long hitting legend in his day too so long hitting might be in the genes.
Anyway in the theme of this thread the amount of self proclaimed long hitters who always have to wait for par 5s to clear that were emasculated when paired with my buddy was pretty long. They would walk onto the first tee decked out in nike and the latest driver in hand, only to watch my buddy fly their ball by 40. Like other long ball heros mentioned here, there would be 400 yard estimates of my buddys drives, and advice that he should join the long drive tour if he can hit it past them. Distance is so over estimated by the majority of ams. Even in the days when I could really bomb it and outdrive average players by 50, my good drives weren't much further than about 295, and my average decent drive would have been around 275. I would say that for average ams, anything past 240 under normal conditions is long.

Edited by playa, 30 September 2017 - 11:28 PM.

#137 MadGolfer76

MadGolfer76

Admiration is the state furthest from understanding.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,873 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89700
GolfWRX Likes : 8842

Posted 30 September 2017 - 08:17 PM

Hmm...maybe not a long hitter story as such, but a fond remembrance.

Years ago, I came to a short par 4 on a wooded hole. I hit a rather good shot from the tee and it came down in front of the green. I walked up to it and knocked my wedge on, then came a ball trickling past my feet from inside the trees a number of yards behind and to the left of me. The group was apologetic and offerred, "Sorry, we didn't know anyone was ahead of us."

I replied, "neither did I."
Titleist 915D3 9.5/Diamana Whiteboard 63
Titleist 915F 16.5/Diamana Blueboard 73
Mizuno Mp-54 3-Pw/Dynamic Gold s300
Vokey SM6 50, 54, 58 (M)/Dynamic Gold s200
Bettinardi Studio Stock 6
Titleist ProV1x

WITB

#138 golfing_penguin

golfing_penguin

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193836
GolfWRX Likes : 113

Posted 03 October 2017 - 10:55 AM

SMcGavin1, on 21 September 2017 - 09:02 AM, said:

Just think how much worse it will get if the delusional millennials start playing more golf. Their drives will average 350 yards and they will all be scratch golfers even though they have played less than 50 rounds in their life lol.

Meh I've played with a lot more old dudes that were way more delusional. Top quotes I hear:

"I might be scratch too if I started playing as a kid, that's the key right there" - yea whatever you say bro

"I shot XX (usually sub-80) here last week" - while they are firing a smooth 93

In my experience older guys are quick to be offended by inconsequential things, more competitive which makes them petty at times, and definitely take themselves too seriously. Millennials on the other hand are just out there to be out there. The guys I've played with just wanted to drink some beers, laugh, play music (I know the audacity), and enjoy some guy time. This could be perceived as lackadaisical, but to me, if you're a 15+ handicapper, isn't that what the game is? You're no world beater so why not just have a good time? (I am a millennial for full disclosure)

"

I like it when it goes the other way, and someone you know who routinely shoots mid/high sixties to low seventies proudly declares their 92 with the biggest grin

#139 larrybud

larrybud

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,131 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21167
  • Handicap:2.0
GolfWRX Likes : 3612

Posted 04 October 2017 - 07:33 AM

Just last week we roll up on the group in front of us teeing off.  Par 5 which initially goes up hill over a crest, then back down hill, and it was downwind this day.  Little guy tees off, hits it pretty well, and his buddy says "MFer is 100 pounds soaking wet and just busted it 320".  

I drove up to make sure they were out of the way, and lasered Mr 320, and he hit is about 270.  Good drive, but once you crest the hill you get another 20 yards.  

Now, I'm Mr. 230, and I put it about 5 yards behind where he was...

#140 swing thoughts

swing thoughts

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 349485
  • Handicap:3.7
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 05 October 2017 - 01:12 PM

Got paired with a guy at the local muny who could literally kill it. 300+ carries all day, shot 2-under, etc. Swing speed probably 120-122  He was legit. And good'-looking, athletic, cocky... Also grouped with a nice slightly older gentleman.

So cocky super stud says something is going on with his swing and he needs to find a good instructor. I told him
"I know a guy who is grea-"

He cut me off and said, super fast, "When you have a 135 mile per hour swing speed there's only a handful of instructors in the world qualified to analyze it."

So I said, "Yeah and if I ever meet anyone with a 135 mph swing I'll be sure and let you know."

The other guy completely lost it, doubled over laughing. I think Mr. Awesome got the point.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha DBD 9*
Cobra Bio Cell Fairway 13.5
Cobra Fly-Z hybrid 16.5*
Mizuno MP 69 3-P DS300 Gold Stiff
Taylormade Tour Preferred EF52*
Taylormade Tour Preferred EF 58*
Putter varies day to day

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#141 BdaGolfer

BdaGolfer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 521
  • Handicap:3.0
GolfWRX Likes : 150

Posted 05 October 2017 - 01:41 PM

Year before last I played with 2 other guys and one of the Assistants at my then home club. The Asst. is a long drive guy - if you've been watching the LDA events on Golf Channel over the summer you've seen him. I play from the tips with the Asst. and on the 3rd hole he hits his fairly solid, but high, and draws into the rough, where it stops dead. I hit mine low on the face but down the middle, where it runs about 70 yards.

When we get to our balls, on of the other guys looks at mine, looks at the Asst's and says to the Asst. "hey, looks like he got you!" - I was maybe a yard ahead. Well I think he took it personal, because on the next hole (400 yds, steeply uphill at the end), he hit one over the trees that nobody clears to about 30 yards short of the green - and this was with his regular playing driver. I had no illusions about competing with him, and I think the other two caught on pretty quick after that. Fun to watch though.

#142 Jackal

Jackal

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 275745
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:33 AM

Any more stories? All of  these are good!

Edited by Jackal, 11 October 2017 - 07:27 PM.

#143 sandtrap

sandtrap

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115880
  • Ebay ID:sandtrap14
GolfWRX Likes : 54

Posted 11 October 2017 - 11:26 AM

When fitting guys in a simulator guys always say the hit their club longer than that. No matter what.
One older big guy is hitting a 6 iron 130 yards and says, " I usually hit my 9 180 yards". As I never argue with a customer I suggest he go and get his clubs to do an apples to apples test. He hits his 6 120 and leaves in a huff, these things can't be right:(

#144 8thehardway

8thehardway

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1428
  • Handicap:8
  • Ebay ID:dealj
GolfWRX Likes : 349

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:21 PM

I was pseudo long and it felt great. Got paired up with three guys whose drives were similar to mine... 200 yards. On a 220-yard par 3 with plenty of problems if you miss to either side they teed off with drivers; one guy asked what club I was using and I said it was a 6 iron. I didn't bother explaining it would leave me a full sand wedge in but maybe I should have because after the round they were telling their friends about this guy who took a 6 iron off the tee on #2 with awe normally reserved for Jason Day.

I also created a pseudo-longer golfer. This guy was plenty long at 275 but was telling his buddies he was 300 plus and they were eating it up as they were barely longer than me and no one in the group had a game. Anyway we get to #9 which is 425 and starts out level then gently slopes downhill and this guy crushes it; the ball starts left of center then starts drawing towards the woods on the left before disappearing over the hill. I hit a clunker into the right rough and need two more swings just to land 30 yards short of the green. As I'm shouldering my bag I find a lost ball and out of frustration hit it out of the rough to 7 feet from the pin. Meanwhile the guy and his buddies are still scouring the woods and have worked their way down to the last 100 yards when the guy looks up and sees a ball on the green. He asks if it's mine and I tell him my ball is 30 yards short. His face lights up and everyone goes to the green to check out the ball. One guy asks him if it's his and he doesn't know what ball he was playing but it must be his because they didn't find it in the woods. To caps things off he sinks the putt for a pseudo-eagle. He was beaming and his friends were cheering and tales of the accomplishment circulated for weeks.
driver 10.5*
5w 19*
hybrid 23*
irons 23 - 41*
wedges 45, 50, 54, 60*
Tom Slighter Needle mallet since 2008
73* lie, 3* loft, 451g headweight

#145 phatchrisrules

phatchrisrules

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20680
  • Handicap:6.5
GolfWRX Likes : 323

Posted 13 October 2017 - 07:17 AM

View Post8thehardway, on 12 October 2017 - 10:21 PM, said:

I also created a pseudo-longer golfer. This guy was plenty long at 275 but was telling his buddies he was 300 plus and they were eating it up as they were barely longer than me and no one in the group had a game. Anyway we get to #9 which is 425 and starts out level then gently slopes downhill and this guy crushes it; the ball starts left of center then starts drawing towards the woods on the left before disappearing over the hill. I hit a clunker into the right rough and need two more swings just to land 30 yards short of the green. As I'm shouldering my bag I find a lost ball and out of frustration hit it out of the rough to 7 feet from the pin. Meanwhile the guy and his buddies are still scouring the woods and have worked their way down to the last 100 yards when the guy looks up and sees a ball on the green. He asks if it's mine and I tell him my ball is 30 yards short. His face lights up and everyone goes to the green to check out the ball. One guy asks him if it's his and he doesn't know what ball he was playing but it must be his because they didn't find it in the woods. To caps things off he sinks the putt for a pseudo-eagle. He was beaming and his friends were cheering and tales of the accomplishment circulated for weeks.

You should have crushed his dreams.  This reminds me of a story only semi-related, but this is a fun thread, so going off-topic for a moment shouldn't be too terrible an offense.  I caddied for my dad during a senior event one time about 17 years ago, and I think a lot of you know the drill --- lots of 50+ year old guys who think they have game (some do but not many), are slower than molasses, are beyond meticulous, and also extremely sensitive about their games (make a bogey and they have steam coming out their ears even though this was a bi-hole occurrence).  At any rate, one of the other players hits this massive slice into a literal cornfield with stalks well over 6' high.  Why this wasn't marked OB is beyond me, but it was just a red hazard.  I'm sure the farmer wouldn't have appreciated a slew of 12+ handicappers wielding what are effective scythes in their field.  The guy does his allotted search time and then suddenly we hear a smack and a ball comes out.  We think nothing of it and he proceeds to hit onto the green.  He gets to the green and an explosion of curses comes from this guy, he's stomping around like a kid throwing a tantrum, swearing, face red, you name it.  He picks up the ball and says "I played the &*&%^& wrong ball!! %^$&"..........we all look at him in disbelief.........we kind of all figured it happened since WE ALL saw his ball fly a good 20 yards into the field.  He took an X on 17, and muttered to himself up 18.  I think he was on his way to shooting mid/high 80s anyway by that point.  But man oh man.

G30 LS Tec
Taylormade R15 TP
Nike Vapor Flex
Adams 9031 Proto
Mizuno JPX900 Forged 6-PW
Miura 50*
Engage Toe Sweep 55* and Dual Sole 60*
Bettinardi Inovai

#146 MrJones

MrJones

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,096 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:26 AM

Haha I did this to myself for about 30 seconds one afternoon. There's a short 318 yard Par 4 that plays about 285 to the front if you cut the corner. I've driven it about 5 times in my years at this course. In the afternoon, the setting sun is dead behind the hole so almost impossible to follow your drives if you're by yourself. I hit three balls and they all felt really good. I'm walking up the fairway and get close enough that I can see 3 balls up on the green. Feeling pretty proud of myself I get up there to find out none of them are mine. Someone left some shag balls on the green. Turn around with the sun behind me and see all mine back in the fairway. I'd been so excited I'd walked right past them. :blush2:

Edited by MrJones, 13 October 2017 - 08:27 AM.

Cobra Bio Cell Pro
Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood
Speedblades, 3-AW
Mizuno MP-R 54*, 60*   
Odyssey White Ice 1

#147 bazinky

bazinky

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33287
GolfWRX Likes : 524

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:30 AM

Here's my own psuedo-long story.

Many years ago, I was playing at a Muni course by myself during the middle of the week. Course was pretty empty and I didn't catch another group until I reached the 18th tee, where I was invited to play in with a group of 3 older and somewhat visually challenged individuals.

The closing hole at this course is a straight, slightly downhill  400 yard par 4 with a cart path running down almost the entire left side. I teed of last and hit a pull fade that hits the cart path about 240 yards out and then proceeds to bounce down the cart path, finally finishing up about 30 yards short of the green.

Once we get to our balls. all three of the older gentlemen (who couldn't see well enough to witness my ball hitting the car path) were convinced I was the second coming of John Daly. They were so jazzed about it that I didn't have the heart to admit to the truth ...

Edited by bazinky, 13 October 2017 - 08:30 AM.

Cobra LTD @10.5 - UST Elements Chrome 6F4
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 @C1 (15.75) - MRC D+ Limited 80 S
Callaway X2Hot Pro @20 - Aldila Tour Green 75 S
Callaway X2Hot Pro @23 - Aldila Tour Green 75 S
Ping i20 5-UW - KBS Tour S - Yellow Dot
Ping Glide 54 SS - CFS Wedge S - Blue Dot
Ping Glide 58 ES - CFS Wedge S - Black Dot
Titleist Studio Select Newport 2 - 33"

#148 DON SVO

DON SVO

Hacker in progress...

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99396
GolfWRX Likes : 356

Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:01 AM

I've told the longer version of this story but anyways...My buddy and I got paired up with a couple guys (older heavyset gentleman and a late-20-something guy) at an Avid Golfer tournament. I can get on it when I'm feeling good, and I was hitting the ball pretty solid that day. After the 2nd time that the younger guy flew it where my drive ended up I paid attention. His swing was tight and unassuming, it reminded me of Gary Woodland: compact and just near parallel, so I asked him about where he played... D1 college player in school, plays mini tours, low-mid 120 swing speed. I enjoyed watching him effortlessly kill golf balls that day.
A bag of left-handed junk

#149 spoonhead

spoonhead

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57509
  • Handicap:18
GolfWRX Likes : 54

Posted 13 October 2017 - 01:38 PM

OK, this might be a passive brag story.
  I was paired up with a couple of middle aged golfers about 5 years ago.
During our introductions I explained that I was not a great golfer and hit it quite short; 200-210 yards long, so to take it easy on me.
They both responded that they hit it 250-260 and could sometimes get a little more when the got hold of one.
So off we went.
  First hole I hit my standard 200 yarder, down the middle and they hit their drives.  When we get to our balls, they are about 10 yards ahead of me.
I tell them that it is understandable that they did not get their normal distance as it was the first hole and all.

NO! they tell me, that was a 250 yard drive for both of them.  In fact I had hit a great drive and was at least 240 yards with that hit.
I laughed and told them that there was no way I had hit that long, and began to explain the math of the hole to prove the distances.
Long story short,  The entire day they complimented me on my drives and that I sold myself short, I was right there besides them, so obviously I was killing it.
They never, ever hit it past 220 all day, but they were happy.  One of those times you wanted to ask someone what color the sky is in their world. :lol:

#150 8thehardway

8thehardway

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1428
  • Handicap:8
  • Ebay ID:dealj
GolfWRX Likes : 349

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:14 PM

View Postphatchrisrules, on 13 October 2017 - 07:17 AM, said:

You should have crushed his dreams.  This reminds me

No way. Golf beats you up enough and I'm not piling on but there was an instance of someone in the group behind us hitting into us twice under quasi-understandable circumstances. This guy did it again on the last hole where he would have seen us and never yelled 'fore.' Nice drive about 280 rolled right past me. I surreptitiously kicked it 40 yards closer to the green so he would try to duplicate that distance in future rounds.

driver 10.5*
5w 19*
hybrid 23*
irons 23 - 41*
wedges 45, 50, 54, 60*
Tom Slighter Needle mallet since 2008
73* lie, 3* loft, 451g headweight

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors