Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Helping kids line up shots in a tournament.


  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 tiger1873

tiger1873

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
  • Joined: 09/20/2014
  • Location:United States
GolfWRX Likes : 89

Posted 17 September 2017 - 12:14 PM

I am sure anyone who has done any tournaments with young kids have seen this sort of thing.

Dad is a god golfer and coaches them in every shot. They will make sure the club is aligned with every shot and read and align every putt.

I understand doing this for really young kids when they are they 5 or 6 but at what age do you stop doing that. I have never been fan of doing too much for them but at the same time I notice that these kids are the ones who will win early on.

I think it worse for girls then boys but to see a 12 year girl get coached on every shot and need almost permission before they hit a shot makes me wonder does this help there game? My thought is you want them plying without help as soon as possible because most big junior tournaments do not have caddies. I also know the USGA has a proposed rule change coming that will in effect in 2019 and wonder what impact it will have.

Edited by tiger1873, 17 September 2017 - 12:14 PM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
  • Joined: 03/16/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 856

Posted 17 September 2017 - 04:13 PM

View Posttiger1873, on 17 September 2017 - 12:14 PM, said:

I am sure anyone who has done any tournaments with young kids have seen this sort of thing.

Dad is a god golfer and coaches them in every shot. They will make sure the club is aligned with every shot and read and align every putt.

I understand doing this for really young kids when they are they 5 or 6 but at what age do you stop doing that. I have never been fan of doing too much for them but at the same time I notice that these kids are the ones who will win early on.

I think it worse for girls then boys but to see a 12 year girl get coached on every shot and need almost permission before they hit a shot makes me wonder does this help there game? My thought is you want them plying without help as soon as possible because most big junior tournaments do not have caddies. I also know the USGA has a proposed rule change coming that will in effect in 2019 and wonder what impact it will have.

My son asked me when he was 8 why I didn't line him up for putts, shots, or tee his ball up like other dads.  I told him "son, everyone needs to learn to wipe their a$$ at some point."  I have never done it and never will.  If I don't like it I will tell him to check it and that is it.  If that is the line he chooses then that is the line.  I don't think a parent should l align them at any age.  They need to do it themselves.



2

#3 leezer99

leezer99

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
  • Joined: 09/10/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 184

Posted 17 September 2017 - 09:19 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 17 September 2017 - 04:13 PM, said:

View Posttiger1873, on 17 September 2017 - 12:14 PM, said:

I am sure anyone who has done any tournaments with young kids have seen this sort of thing.

Dad is a god golfer and coaches them in every shot. They will make sure the club is aligned with every shot and read and align every putt.

I understand doing this for really young kids when they are they 5 or 6 but at what age do you stop doing that. I have never been fan of doing too much for them but at the same time I notice that these kids are the ones who will win early on.

I think it worse for girls then boys but to see a 12 year girl get coached on every shot and need almost permission before they hit a shot makes me wonder does this help there game? My thought is you want them plying without help as soon as possible because most big junior tournaments do not have caddies. I also know the USGA has a proposed rule change coming that will in effect in 2019 and wonder what impact it will have.

My son asked me when he was 8 why I didn't line him up for putts, shots, or tee his ball up like other dads.  I told him "son, everyone needs to learn to wipe their a$$ at some point."  I have never done it and never will.  If I don't like it I will tell him to check it and that is it.  If that is the line he chooses then that is the line.  I don't think a parent should l align them at any age.  They need to do it themselves.

My son asks me to check his alignment on tee shots.  From face on 10 yards away I always say, 'looks great bud, rip it', even though I didn't actually look.

3

#4 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
  • Joined: 03/16/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 856

Posted 18 September 2017 - 08:21 AM

Lining up shots, etc. is also a disaster for slow play.  As soon as it starts I tend to say something about it.

4

#5 tiger1873

tiger1873

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
  • Joined: 09/20/2014
  • Location:United States
GolfWRX Likes : 89

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:53 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 18 September 2017 - 08:21 AM, said:

Lining up shots, etc. is also a disaster for slow play.  As soon as it starts I tend to say something about it.

I totally agree on this aspect it makes it really slow. It's very common here to see dad's lining up kids as old as 12 around here and we see 6 and 7 hour rounds a lot times.  What is tough is these kids are the ones winning so it spreads to other parents. So far I have avoided this but sometimes I wonder if I am doing the right thing. I also know there not just saying it as it is pretty obvious. Heck they even coach them there practice swings and the kids have to ask am I ok with the shot.

I really wish you could asses a penalty against them for that type of behavior. Not sure if the future rule with caddy alignment will help if it goes into effect in 2019.  It so bad here that sometimes I feel like it is the dad's competing with there green reading skills rather then the kids. I know a few parents who just went ahead and aged up early to avoid the hassle but I don't think that is really the way to go until my daughters are older because older kids can give younger kids a hard time at that age.


5

#6 Belmont148

Belmont148

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 474430
  • Joined: 07/10/2017
  • Location:Carolinas
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 104

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:57 PM

I will cue him of little reminders that he is struggling with, but not line him up. He has started turning his left foot in lately, so I tend to remind him "turn your foot", but that's it. I help read puts and agree or disagree with breaking and pace, but never line him up or anything. He does do like the poster above and will ask me on the tee if he is good. I never look and always say the same. "Looks good bud, rip it!" A lot of times young kids will look for someone to blame on a shot. Not me, I didn't hit the ball no matter how much guidance I gave.
Cobra F7+ Driver 10.5 Aldila Rogue 125 Silver TS 44.5"
Epic SZ 14.5 HZRDUS T800 65 stiff 42"
King Utility 21* CTL R flex
Cobra F6 3 hyb. 19* Aldila Rogue 85H R flex
Cobra Fly Z 4 hyb. 22* Aldila Rogue 85H R flex
Cobra King Forged TEC 4-GW CTL R flex
MD2 Tour 54* and 58* CTL R flex
PM Grind MD3 64* black CTL R flex
Odyssey Versa V Line

6

#7 darter79

darter79

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
  • Joined: 10/03/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 46

Posted 18 September 2017 - 01:42 PM

I know I'm guilty of some of these. She great at lining up her shots, but I do assist a bit more than I would like with puts, but oddly I do it more to speed up play as she takes a day and a half to see where she wants to hit a put. We are in girls 7 and under and this is pretty typical from what I have seen. Even in the coed STPGA events I see this a lot with boys too. Its something we are working on more with her. As far as teeing it up I only help when she can't phycally tee it up as texas can have some rock hard fairways that she can't get the tee into the ground on.

7

#8 MooJersey

MooJersey

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 473982
  • Joined: 07/05/2017
  • Location:Maryland
GolfWRX Likes : 58

Posted 18 September 2017 - 02:30 PM

I don't have kids, so take this for what its worth.  I would never help my son / daughter line up shots.  The only way they will really learn is if they do it themself.  I'd help them off the course, but let kids be kids.  Let them compete and do it on their own merit.
Cobra King F7 Driver (Double Weight)
Cobra King F7 3/4W
Cobra King F7 5/6W
Cobra King F7 3/4H
Cobra King F7 5-PW, GW
Cobra King V Grind 54
Cobra King V Grind 58
SeeMore FGP Original

8

#9 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
  • Joined: 03/16/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 856

Posted 18 September 2017 - 02:57 PM

View Posttiger1873, on 18 September 2017 - 12:53 PM, said:

View Postheavy_hitter, on 18 September 2017 - 08:21 AM, said:

Lining up shots, etc. is also a disaster for slow play.  As soon as it starts I tend to say something about it.

I totally agree on this aspect it makes it really slow. It's very common here to see dad's lining up kids as old as 12 around here and we see 6 and 7 hour rounds a lot times.  What is tough is these kids are the ones winning so it spreads to other parents. So far I have avoided this but sometimes I wonder if I am doing the right thing. I also know there not just saying it as it is pretty obvious. Heck they even coach them there practice swings and the kids have to ask am I ok with the shot.

I really wish you could asses a penalty against them for that type of behavior. Not sure if the future rule with caddy alignment will help if it goes into effect in 2019.  It so bad here that sometimes I feel like it is the dad's competing with there green reading skills rather then the kids. I know a few parents who just went ahead and aged up early to avoid the hassle but I don't think that is really the way to go until my daughters are older because older kids can give younger kids a hard time at that age.

Your daughter is 7?  It doesn't matter if she wins now.  Tell her she is going to learn to do it on her own.  When the other girl's get her age and can't use a caddie, they will be in trouble.

Here in South Florida, most of the boys whose fathers did that stuff 4 years ago for them when they were 8 have pretty much disappeared.  The kids never developed and are already done with golf.  The few that hung it out really haven't panned out and I personally don't think they ever will.  The boy's whose fathers left their kids alone are already heads and tails better than the other kids.

9

#10 tiger1873

tiger1873

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
  • Joined: 09/20/2014
  • Location:United States
GolfWRX Likes : 89

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:35 PM

Actually I have 2 daughters the older one is where I actually have more issue with people doing this she plays in the 11-12 division.

My daughter brought up the fact I do not help her like other dads is why I was wondering if I should be doing more. I have noticed though that kids who need to be coached seem to dispear when dads can.

I think you need to let kids play and only get in the way to keep throngs moving. My older daughter I no longer keep score. I also never coach anything once we there for a tournament. If they mess up a certain shot or club we practice it next week.

I don't care if she wins but I have to admit sometimes it hard to remember winning at 15 or 16 is the goal and not when there 11.

Edited by tiger1873, 19 September 2017 - 10:45 AM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 kcap

kcap

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 417624
  • Joined: 03/28/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 18 September 2017 - 04:08 PM

We discuss the shot and the line.  My son usually has a good idea on what he wants to do so it is a quick discussion. There is the occasion "Check my line, I feel like I am off", that is it, i never line up on any shot.  

The green is a little different, I don't line him up but we definitely discuss the putt and I only jump into a read it if I see something different etc.   Will admit that these discussions could take some time,  That said, this is only 2-3x a round, its not like we a having a lengthy discussion each hole.

11

#12 wildcatden

wildcatden

    China Cat Sunflower

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481904
  • Joined: 09/14/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 44

Posted 23 October 2017 - 05:24 PM

View Posttiger1873, on 18 September 2017 - 12:53 PM, said:

View Postheavy_hitter, on 18 September 2017 - 08:21 AM, said:

Lining up shots, etc. is also a disaster for slow play.  As soon as it starts I tend to say something about it.

I totally agree on this aspect it makes it really slow. It's very common here to see dad's lining up kids as old as 12 around here and we see 6 and 7 hour rounds a lot times.  What is tough is these kids are the ones winning so it spreads to other parents. So far I have avoided this but sometimes I wonder if I am doing the right thing. I also know there not just saying it as it is pretty obvious. Heck they even coach them there practice swings and the kids have to ask am I ok with the shot.

I really wish you could asses a penalty against them for that type of behavior. Not sure if the future rule with caddy alignment will help if it goes into effect in 2019.  It so bad here that sometimes I feel like it is the dad's competing with there green reading skills rather then the kids. I know a few parents who just went ahead and aged up early to avoid the hassle but I don't think that is really the way to go until my daughters are older because older kids can give younger kids a hard time at that age.

Doesn't USKids Golf assess penalties for slow play? Do others assess penalties (AJGA, etc...)?   I've never been part of a round that lasted longer than 2:15 minutes for my 9-holer junior.

12

#13 Curt_

Curt_

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 484054
  • Joined: 10/10/2017
  • Location:New York
  • Handicap:0
  • Ebay ID:curticha_6
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 24 October 2017 - 04:24 PM

never line up a kid in a tournament. just let them play. if they play poorly, even better. Golf, like life, is supposed to be hard. Nobody's going to line them up in life. Take off the training wheels early, they'll thank you later.

13

#14 kekoa

kekoa

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,448 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Joined: 10/02/2008
  • Location:in the hole
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1351

Posted 31 October 2017 - 11:36 AM

From my experience, the girl's parents are notorious for lining their kid up on everything from tee to green.  It is also common for younger kids in the 6yr old division along with brand new players.  It's brutal.  I'm a fast player so I've try to instill the same in my son.  He has a simple routine and follows it everytime.

I used to help my son on the greens a bit, but now I only come over for a read if he asks me to.  Otherwise, he makes it or misses on his own.  Great thing is he can't blame me for misses anymore either which is awesome. :taunt:

14

#15 wildcatden

wildcatden

    China Cat Sunflower

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481904
  • Joined: 09/14/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 44

Posted 31 October 2017 - 01:28 PM

View Postkekoa, on 31 October 2017 - 11:36 AM, said:

From my experience, the girl's parents are notorious for lining their kid up on everything from tee to green.  It is also common for younger kids in the 6yr old division along with brand new players.  It's brutal.  I'm a fast player so I've try to instill the same in my son.  He has a simple routine and follows it everytime.

I used to help my son on the greens a bit, but now I only come over for a read if he asks me to.  Otherwise, he makes it or misses on his own.  Great thing is he can't blame me for misses anymore either which is awesome. :taunt:

I am looking forward to less and less help for my boy (6 year old).  Today, I still help him line up shots or read putts. Mostly, I just help "talk him through" the shot/routine he needs to do. Biggest problem is "building the tracks" as he sometimes points his feet at the target.  Technically, USKG says they have a 45-second time limit per shot. Obviously, this is rarely if ever enforced. I'd say my kid gets through his shot in 60 seconds or less every time...which seems reasonable. Looking at hole #7 on Monterey Pines, I'm getting the feeling he may take just a bit more time on that shot.


15

#16 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
  • Joined: 03/16/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 856

Posted 31 October 2017 - 03:54 PM

View Postkekoa, on 31 October 2017 - 11:36 AM, said:

From my experience, the girl's parents are notorious for lining their kid up on everything from tee to green.  It is also common for younger kids in the 6yr old division along with brand new players.  It's brutal.  I'm a fast player so I've try to instill the same in my son.  He has a simple routine and follows it everytime.

I used to help my son on the greens a bit, but now I only come over for a read if he asks me to.  Otherwise, he makes it or misses on his own.  Great thing is he can't blame me for misses anymore either which is awesome. :taunt:

The boy's are worse than the girl's.  Take that one to the bank!!!

16

#17 Noles

Noles

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136360
  • Joined: 08/14/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 271

Posted 31 October 2017 - 07:22 PM

View PostCurt_, on 24 October 2017 - 04:24 PM, said:

never line up a kid in a tournament. just let them play. if they play poorly, even better. Golf, like life, is supposed to be hard. Nobody's going to line them up in life. Take off the training wheels early, they'll thank you later.
When my son was younger he had a habit of lining up way right.  I wouldn't line him up on every shot, but if he was aiming into the trees instead of the fairway, I would tell him.  I saw it as more beneficial than telling him afterwards or not at all.

17



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors