Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Daughter's first round

35 replies to this topic

#1 SammyShaf

SammyShaf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 253340
GolfWRX Likes : 103

Posted 17 September 2017 - 04:38 AM

I took my daughter to the golf course for her first round today.  She is five, and prior to today we had spent time together putting at the putting green.  I played my tee shots and approaches and she putted out on the holes with me.  Some of the highlights included her using the range finder to give me yardages, riding in the golf cart, and the celebratory ice cream post round.  She thought that the on course water coolers were the greatest things ever.  Her observations were amazing, warning me not to go in the woods because that is where wolves live.  The best thing had to be her attitude, when I was about to take my shot she had great words of encouragement "I think you can make this shot!".  I have never had such a stress free round.  I typically run a little hot when I play, and get a bit frustrated.  I cannot wait for her to come out and join me for the next round!

If anything can go right, it might!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 ctwatkins

ctwatkins

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 437356
  • Handicap:16
  • Ebay ID:ctwatkins
GolfWRX Likes : 59

Posted 17 September 2017 - 09:16 AM

Sounds like a great time and wonderful memories.  My daughter is a 19 year old college sophomore.  She spent some time with me on the course when she was young but ended up taking up volleyball in late elementary school through her senior year of high school.  She played six years of club, or travel volleyball, and I pretty much gave up golf during that time to support her as any parent would.  I picked back up playing regularly a little over a year ago when she left for college.  She came home at the end of her freshman year for the summer and on a whim asked to go to the course with me.  She is naturally athletic and loved it.  We ended up playing together twice a week for the rest of the summer.  As I mentioned in the beginning, lots of wonderful memories.  Life is good.

#3 MidMOGolfer

MidMOGolfer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 468776
GolfWRX Likes : 99

Posted 17 September 2017 - 04:31 PM

Love hearing this.  My daughter will be 3 in November.  When she sees me hitting balls into my net in the backyard she says she wants to play golf, but then it turns into hockey or sword fighting.
D/3W/H:  Taylormade M2 2016
4I-AW:   Taylormade P770
GW/LW:   Taylormade EF
P:       Seemore FGP Mallet
Ball:    Taylormade TP5X

#4 Conrad1953

Conrad1953

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,118 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66402
  • Ebay ID:cobicreations
GolfWRX Likes : 49289

Posted 17 September 2017 - 09:46 PM

Can't imagine anything much cooler than father/daughter golf. Sounds awesome!

#5 buckeyefl

buckeyefl

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,105 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 259982
GolfWRX Likes : 3035

Posted 18 September 2017 - 08:08 AM

Mine started very young riding along and as soon as she could walk and use a putter we played the same game. She would tend flags ( and sometimes brush in my short putts) and when I made she would say "Good shot Daddy". She has never gotten fully into it because of having so many things going on but could always pick up a club and make a good swipe at the ball. My friend has a Father/Child every year and I told her I am getting her a putter to practice with for the next year and we are going to go dominate, nursing school be damned!

Great memories on the course.

#6 DZClark

DZClark

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46044
  • Handicap:6.2
GolfWRX Likes : 207

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:17 AM

View PostSammyShaf, on 17 September 2017 - 04:38 AM, said:

I took my daughter to the golf course for her first round today.  She is five, and prior to today we had spent time together putting at the putting green.  I played my tee shots and approaches and she putted out on the holes with me.  Some of the highlights included her using the range finder to give me yardages, riding in the golf cart, and the celebratory ice cream post round.  She thought that the on course water coolers were the greatest things ever.  Her observations were amazing, warning me not to go in the woods because that is where wolves live.  The best thing had to be her attitude, when I was about to take my shot she had great words of encouragement "I think you can make this shot!".  I have never had such a stress free round.  I typically run a little hot when I play, and get a bit frustrated.  I cannot wait for her to come out and join me for the next round!

It's the greatest, isn't it. My now 3-year-old (4 in November) has been joining me on the course for a couple of years now. We bought our own cart last year for the sole purpose of being able to sneak out late on weekdays and stay out until dark. Great times for us and it give my wife a break after staying at home with her all day.

Often times after hitting a bad shot I will mutter to myself " Oh DZ" and one day she told me "Daddy's its ok if you say "OH daughter" so you don't have to blame yourself for hitting it bad". I laughed and told her no, it was my fault for hitting it bad so I will just blame myself. Now when I hit it bad, she says "Oh Daughter" as I am saying "Oh DZ". And she has pretty high standards, I hit a green from 220 the other day, but was barely on, and she said it. I said geez, what do I have to do to please you!

I don't know that for her these memories will mean much, but I know for me, spending that hour or 2 with her, just visiting about her day, is priceless.

#7 DevilDog

DevilDog

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 127483
GolfWRX Likes : 949

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:39 AM

Been taking my son since he was about 5 to the course.  Now, at 13, he kicks my butt.  When he was little, he had more fun playing with the rakes in the sand traps, watching real birdies, and stuff like that.  These days, he's turned into a good player and loves being on the course because I never pressured him about playing or how well he played.  It's our time together and we have such a good time playing together.

#8 Mignuz

Mignuz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 388398
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 60

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:48 AM

Me and my wife are taking our son (just turned 3) on the course since he was 1.
We take a cart and he sits between us, he wants to play some shots but only with our clubs!
he uses an opposite hand grip and can really hit the ball (not aiming, but he's still young..)!
He plays with the rakes in bunkers, pulls the pins etc.
Of course we do it when there's not a lot of people on the course, but it's our club and we know almost everyone.
He loves to play golf (he calls it " ghe") with mommy and dad.

#9 Dustinb812

Dustinb812

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 394884
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:26 PM

My daughter just turned one and I have to say it's been amazing reading these personal accounts.  I think it's time I take her out for her first trip.  Thanks for cheering me up on a Monday guys.
Ping G400 9*
Mizuno JPX-900 3W 15*
Ping G400 5W 17.5*
Ping G 22* Hybrid
Titleist 718 AP2 5-P
Mizuno MP-T5 52* 56* & 60* Wedges
Scotty Cameron Futura X5R

#10 MPG

MPG

Tour Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 528 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52140
  • Handicap:4.1
GolfWRX Likes : 152

Posted 18 September 2017 - 02:02 PM

I have two little golfers in my family.  My wife always hated golf but now is slowly turning the corner because she must go with my son (10 years old) during tournaments because my daughter (7 years old) told me this year she wants to start playing in tournaments.  They both were playing with me since 4 years old.    When she first started I told my wife she does not have the competitive push like my son but she enjoys golf for fun but she proved me wrong with that statement.  She is playing in the 8 and under bracket and she is the only girl in a group of 12-15 boys but I will tell you that she wants to beat the boys and i mean in driving distance, greens hit, number of putts and final score.   She does have that attitude but only shows it when she has to.   I love it!!!  

It is amazing to watch both of them grow up with golf and now watching them in tournament golf.  My son is doing really good in the 10-12 year bracket winning several events this past summer with my wife who knows nothing about golf (which shows me that he knows what to do without me being their as his crutch which is gratifying) and now watching my daughter claim a few 2nd and 3rd place finishes this year is a freaking blast.  

Definitely very good memories and I am currently building a scrap book for both of them to ensure the memories last forever.

Driver: PING G400 MAX Fujikura Tour Spec
Fairway: Rogue Sub Zero 15* - Even Flow Blue 75x
Hybrid - BridgeStone Tour B - KBS Hybrid X
Irons: Ping i500 - Project X LZ 6.0
Wedges: Fourteen RM22 53* and 58*- Raw - S400
Putter: Odyssey Black 9 or Byron Morgan DH89 OR Taylormade Spider Tour (Black) OR Cameron X5 Flow Neck

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 JDFish

JDFish

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135069
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 189

Posted 18 September 2017 - 02:43 PM

Awesome.  Hopefully she will continue with it as she gets older.  Both of my daughters played when they were younger.  My 18 year old gave it up after her freshman year on the golf team.  My 14 1/2 year old is still playing and finishing up her freshman year on the team.  There's nothing better than when she asks me if we can go practice or play.  But competitive dance is her real passion and golf runs third behind that and school.  She swears that even if she doesn't play all 4 years of high school that she still will play with me on Sundays.  Only time will tell.  But I'll certainly enjoy it while her interest and participation lasts.  It's a hard game and it's not for everybody.
Callaway Epic 9.0 Fujikura Atmos Black TS 6S
Callaway XR Pro 3 wood
Callaway XR 5 wood
Titleist 913H 21* hybrid
Ping i200 Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 105S - 4-UW
Titleist Vokey SM6 54* and 58* S200
Evnroll ER8 33"

#12 cvvorst

cvvorst

Major Winner

• 2,454 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125478
GolfWRX Likes : 920

Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:11 PM

My 4 year old loves to encourage me when golfing as well. She says stuff like "you're the best daddy!" or "you can do it!"

She loves riding the cart, filling the water at the cooler, coloring on the scorecard, and putting on the green. She has a bad habit of picking up my golf ball and giving me the putt (I swear I didn't teach her this!)

My almost 2 year old boy likes it even more. He will bring me a golf club and golf balls and insist we go chip in the backyard. He used to be OK with short chips, now he wants me to hit half wedges every time (it's 55 to 70 yards to the end of the fence I think) He also loves the cart and water cooler. He also likes the grab my ball. But then he tries to take my golf clubs too...

The best rounds of my life were with my two little ones and my wife. I don't think I scored well, but they make it so much fun I don't care. Enjoy it!
Ping G400 Max Kuro Kage Dual Core 70 TX or T1100 75 6.5 or TPT 14.5 MKP ////// Tour Issue TMAG 2017 M2 T1100 75 6.5
Ping G400 Stretch Diamana BF 80 TX
PXG 0311X 3 Iron HZRDUS Red 105 6.5
PXG 0311X 4 Iron HZRDUS Red 105 6.5
5 to PW PXG 0311T - Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Vokey Wedgeworks SM6 RAW - 50F - 54S - 58M
TP Mills Ming Anvil Flow Neck - Bettinardi BB0 Plumbers - PXG Gunboat Mini H

#13 Bull33

Bull33

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 478136
  • Handicap:22
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:24 PM

I took my 7 year old son out for a round this year with two friends of mine. He rode the cart, putted out like you did with your daughter. He had a blast. After it was all done, he announced to my buddies that he would see them next time. He then subsequently asked me on the way home if he could go golfing with me every time.

So awesome. We've gone a couple rounds and to the range several times. I'll sign him up next summer for a you program I'm sure.
Driver - Callaway XR 16 11.5°
4 Wood - Callaway XR 16 17°
4 Hybrid - Adams Idea A12 OS 22°
Irons - Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal 4 - PW, XP 105 S300
Wedges - Cleveland RTX-3 V-MG CB 50,54 and 58 degree

#14 MPG

MPG

Tour Winner

• 528 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52140
GolfWRX Likes : 152

Posted 19 September 2017 - 09:32 AM

View Postcvvorst, on 18 September 2017 - 09:11 PM, said:

My 4 year old loves to encourage me when golfing as well. She says stuff like "you're the best daddy!" or "you can do it!"

She loves riding the cart, filling the water at the cooler, coloring on the scorecard, and putting on the green. She has a bad habit of picking up my golf ball and giving me the putt (I swear I didn't teach her this!)

My almost 2 year old boy likes it even more. He will bring me a golf club and golf balls and insist we go chip in the backyard. He used to be OK with short chips, now he wants me to hit half wedges every time (it's 55 to 70 yards to the end of the fence I think) He also loves the cart and water cooler. He also likes the grab my ball. But then he tries to take my golf clubs too...

The best rounds of my life were with my two little ones and my wife. I don't think I scored well, but they make it so much fun I don't care. Enjoy it!

As they get older, their eyes starts to wonder into your bag.  I trust him not to do something crazy.  Golf balls are a different story and can get expensive but my son now understands the Project A is a much better ball for him than TP5x balls.  :)
Driver: PING G400 MAX Fujikura Tour Spec
Fairway: Rogue Sub Zero 15* - Even Flow Blue 75x
Hybrid - BridgeStone Tour B - KBS Hybrid X
Irons: Ping i500 - Project X LZ 6.0
Wedges: Fourteen RM22 53* and 58*- Raw - S400
Putter: Odyssey Black 9 or Byron Morgan DH89 OR Taylormade Spider Tour (Black) OR Cameron X5 Flow Neck

#15 No Catchy Nickname

No Catchy Nickname

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,377 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 383010
  • Handicap:me
GolfWRX Likes : 4974

Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:00 AM

My daughter doesn't like golf, but she likes putting. See, she's already figured out that putting and golf are two completely different things!

Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
4w: TaylorMade R9 stock Fujikura Motore X flex
7w  TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
Driving Iron: Tourstage Airmuscle with DGS200 (for occasional use only)
Irons (4i-PW): Mizuno MP18 PX6.0 @ + 1/2"   
Wedges: Callaway MD2 50* S and 54* S-grind
              Titlesit Vokey 260 60*                  
Putter: Macgregor Muirfield or Wilson TPA XVIII

#16 wkndhack

wkndhack

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 425792
GolfWRX Likes : 362

Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:48 AM

My daughter is 5 and has come to the range a few times. I will chip or hit whiffle balls in the yard and she plays range picker in her power wheels Barbie jeep.

Those of you taking your young kids for ride alongs, is this at private clubs or public or what? We have taken my 8 year old niece out to play early mornings but she is in a youth program and plays most of the round. Any course give you problems about just taking your kid as a passenger and occasional putter? I don't belong to a club but would like to try this maybe next summer.
Cobra Fly-Z PX Even Flow Blue 6.0
Cobra King F7 3W Oban Isawa Red 75-04
Cobra King F6 Baffler Aldila Tour Blue 85S
Cobra King F8 4H Aldila Rogue Silver 75S
Cobra Forged Tec 5-GW PX LZ 5.5
Cobra King Pur 54V, 58V
Bettinardi QB8
Srixon Q-Star Tour

#17 rorygilmore9

rorygilmore9

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 422790
  • Handicap:9.6
GolfWRX Likes : 131

Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:43 AM

My daughter (7 this Friday) and son (turned 4 in August) both love when they are able to go golfing with me! Like many have said, there is no greater feeling! I have yet to really put together a great round or play a better than my average round when they're with me, but having them out has made each round the best and most enjoyable I have had in these first 4 years!
WITB
Nike Vapor Speed 9.5*
Nike VR-S Covert 2.0 Fairway Wood 15*
Nike VR-S Covert 2.0 Hybrid 20*
Nike VR Pro Cavity Irons 4-AW
Nike Engage Toe Sweep 56*
Nike Method 002

#18 SammyShaf

SammyShaf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 253340
GolfWRX Likes : 103

Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:53 PM

View Postwkndhack, on 19 September 2017 - 10:48 AM, said:

My daughter is 5 and has come to the range a few times. I will chip or hit whiffle balls in the yard and she plays range picker in her power wheels Barbie jeep.

Those of you taking your young kids for ride alongs, is this at private clubs or public or what? We have taken my 8 year old niece out to play early mornings but she is in a youth program and plays most of the round. Any course give you problems about just taking your kid as a passenger and occasional putter? I don't belong to a club but would like to try this maybe next summer.

I went to a semi private course that has a large junior program.  I have seen tons of younger players at this course.  It is a short 9 hole layout which was good since I was worried about holding her interest for the time it took to play.

Edited by SammyShaf, 19 September 2017 - 10:53 PM.

If anything can go right, it might!

#19 Razorback84

Razorback84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 469162
  • Ebay ID:Razorbacks84
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 20 September 2017 - 06:50 AM

That is so awesome!!!  I can't wait to be able to share moments like that with my Daughter.  She just turned one back on the 8th, so I've got a few years before I'll take her out there, but I do hope that she enjoys it as much as I do
Callaway Rogue 9.0°- Project X Even Flow Blue 65 S
Ping G400 3 Wood- Alta CB 65 S
Callaway Steelhead XR 5 Wood- Tensei Blue S
Titleist 818 H2 Hybrid 23° hybrid- Tensei Red S
Titleist 718 AP2 (5-PW)- Nippon Modus 3 120 S
Callaway MD4 50* S Grind KBS C Taper LITE S
Callaway MD4 54* W Grind KBS C Taper LITE S
Callaway MD4 58* C Grind KBS C Taper LITE S
Bettinardi BB1 Armageddon

#20 dciccoritti

dciccoritti

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 173476
GolfWRX Likes : 1555

Posted 20 September 2017 - 10:39 AM

Nice!! I use to get my son to chip and putt for me. Even when we both played together, he would still chip and putt for me. I thought it was a great way to sharpen up his short game.

"Hey, don't miss that, it's not every day Daddy gets a chance at birdie" :-)

Now he looks at me and says "Dad, did you always hit it that low and short?" :-(

917 D2 Driver | 718 MB Irons | Milled Grind Wedges | HI-TOE Wedge | TR 1966 Anser 2 Putter | ProV1x

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 Sixcat

Sixcat

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23189
GolfWRX Likes : 998

Posted 20 September 2017 - 10:47 AM

My younger daughter is 9.  She started going to the course with me regularly at age 6.  It was a similar routine as you at first with me playing to the green and she would putt and chip around the green.  

That quickly evolved to her playing from the 150 yard stake on most holes for about 2 years.  Now, our home club has placed discs in the fairways to represent the "kids tees".  They range in distance from 80 to about 175 yards with no fewer than 8 kids her age enjoying themselves from their own set of tees.  It has turned into a nice little group.

Enjoy it while you can, they grow up fast!

#22 Sixcat

Sixcat

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23189
GolfWRX Likes : 998

Posted 20 September 2017 - 10:57 AM

My home course is semi-private but has a large youth program that has been cultivated over about a 30 year period.  For $150 per year, a kid under the age of 16 can become a non-voting member of the club.  The club does summer programs for them at no additional cost so, mom and dad can drop a kid off on the way to work and the kid can fish, golf, watch tv, swim or bike until mom and dad return in the afternoon.  My club and the membership base have bought into the concept and it has thrived.  As a result, our local high school has won 6 state championships, had another 8 state runner-up finishes and had a handful of individual state champions in that time.  With better than a 90% retention rate on those kids becoming full members of the club, it's worth the investment.

Ask around your area.  Clubs won't be bashful in expressing their respective opinions on kids using the club facilities.

#23 MidwestGolfBum

MidwestGolfBum

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 304799
GolfWRX Likes : 669

Posted 20 September 2017 - 05:19 PM

View PostSixcat, on 20 September 2017 - 10:57 AM, said:

My home course is semi-private but has a large youth program that has been cultivated over about a 30 year period.  For $150 per year, a kid under the age of 16 can become a non-voting member of the club.  The club does summer programs for them at no additional cost so, mom and dad can drop a kid off on the way to work and the kid can fish, golf, watch tv, swim or bike until mom and dad return in the afternoon.  My club and the membership base have bought into the concept and it has thrived.  As a result, our local high school has won 6 state championships, had another 8 state runner-up finishes and had a handful of individual state champions in that time.  With better than a 90% retention rate on those kids becoming full members of the club, it's worth the investment.

Ask around your area.  Clubs won't be bashful in expressing their respective opinions on kids using the club facilities.

I really wish that my club would buy into that mentality, even if they wanted to charge a little more for them. As of right now, kids can either be on the membership under the "family" category which is around $2k extra from the single or they can play the 5 maximum times as a guest. Public course with 27 holes down the road has a deal that for $500 (if I'm remember correctly) the kids get all the golf they want to play and can use the par 3 course too. Apparently looking forward to when these kids grow up is a little too much to ask.

Of course they also wonder why they don't have huge participation numbers or support from the members in terms of $$ for the PGAJr. League we have too.
Titleist TS3 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei White 70TX
Titleist 917F3 15* Graphite Design AD-DI 7X black
Titleist T-MB 2i Graphite Design AD-95X Utility/Driving iron
Titleist 714 MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100 or Cally RazrX MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100
Vokey SM5, 52.08, 56.10, 60.08 True Temper TI S400
Byron DH89 or Piretti Proto

The bag is always a work in progress.

#24 jas904

jas904

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40202
  • Handicap:0.9
GolfWRX Likes : 208

Posted 24 September 2017 - 09:39 PM

Thanks for this post, it reminded me of taking my daughter out when she was the same age. Although it seems like yesterday, five weeks ago we sent her off to college four hours away where she is playing D2 golf. Riding in the golf cart, looking into the lake, and the post round ice cream injected golf into her veins and now she is as golf crazed as the rest of us. I have considered myself the luckiest dad on the planet because most Friday nights my teenaged daughter would ask me what time we were going to the course in the morning. The amount of time I spent with my daughter because of golf is incredible and irreplaceable. I miss her terribly but I know she is off living her dream. I hope that you and all the other dads out there with young daughters are as lucky as I was.
TaylorMade M4 8.5, HZRDUS Yellow 65
TaylorMade M3 15, HZRDUS Black 75
Callaway XR Pro 20, Project X LZ
Srixon Z765 4-PW, Steelfiber 110
Titleist SM6 50F Steelfiber 110, SM6 56F KBS 610, SM6 60M KBS 610
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black

#25 Short Bucket

Short Bucket

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 378090
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 28 September 2017 - 08:22 AM

View Postjas904, on 24 September 2017 - 09:39 PM, said:

Thanks for this post, it reminded me of taking my daughter out when she was the same age. Although it seems like yesterday, five weeks ago we sent her off to college four hours away where she is playing D2 golf. Riding in the golf cart, looking into the lake, and the post round ice cream injected golf into her veins and now she is as golf crazed as the rest of us. I have considered myself the luckiest dad on the planet because most Friday nights my teenaged daughter would ask me what time we were going to the course in the morning. The amount of time I spent with my daughter because of golf is incredible and irreplaceable. I miss her terribly but I know she is off living her dream. I hope that you and all the other dads out there with young daughters are as lucky as I was.

Similar story here.  Some of the things I remember: her steering the cart and me working the pedals when she was 5 or 6, then watching her smack a cut down 5 wood about 25-30 yards, but getting it airborne.  Me caddying for her at some junior events. Her college offer letter.  And now, some 30 years after it started and separated by 1500 miles, getting a text from her on a Wednesday about who I like at the upcoming Masters or U.S Open and our subsequent bet.   That we both play and love golf is one of our true points of connection.

#26 backinthegame

backinthegame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38375
  • Ebay ID:seachange03
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:50 AM

Great to read this-- my daughter is 4 and we have just started the father-daughter trips to the putting green.  I absolutely can't wait to get her out on the course in the next few years.  Life indeed is good.  Thanks for sharing!
Attached File  import_9-17 051.jpg   143.9K   6 downloads

#27 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

The adventure begins!

• 15,311 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
GolfWRX Likes : 11752

Posted 29 September 2017 - 11:12 PM

Awesome, takes me back 20 years!

#28 bobfoster

bobfoster

Best Sport on Earth. Ever.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,256 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104921
GolfWRX Likes : 306

Posted 30 September 2017 - 06:33 AM

View PostConrad1953, on 17 September 2017 - 09:46 PM, said:

Can't imagine anything much cooler than father/daughter golf. Sounds awesome!

No kidding!

#29 daegyu

daegyu

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 462038
  • Ebay ID:hermitjunction
GolfWRX Likes : 280

Posted 14 October 2017 - 12:15 AM

All of you parents are awesome. My dad introduced me to the game of golf when I was a kid and I didn't realize it until recently but it was the greatest gift he ever gave me. Besides, you know, life

Callaway Epic 10.5 Oban Kiyoshi Gold 65s
Callaway Epic 15 Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
Callaway Epic 18 AD-DI 7s
Titleist 816 H2 21 AD-DI 85s
Taylormade P770 4-PW PX LZ 6.0 SS x1
Vokey SM6 52F / 58M KBS Tour
Byron Morgan DH89x
Scotty Cameron Asian Spec AOP Newport Oil Can 33/350

Pro Platinum Mil-Spec 33/350

Cameron Classic Gun Blue 33/3503

TEI3 2nd gen 35/330

Studio Style Newport 34/340

Studio Stainless Newport Beach 34/340

ButtonBack Newport 34/340

009 34/350

Lakers Purple and Gold for Life

#30 Equipto

Equipto

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 475734
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 95

Posted 15 October 2017 - 06:57 PM

Awesome to hear!  My daughter is 3 and I bought her a putter to play with around the house to hopefully gain interest.  If she wants to play someday I will be a happy Dad!

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors