Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

How to train mental toughness

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tiger1873

tiger1873

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 77

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:45 AM

I know many of us have the same problems with kids and attitudes. Does anyone do anything to train for mental toughness? I was thinking not only would it help with the mental aspect of golf  but also useful for other things in life as such taking tests in school.

I was thinking I should get a coach in this as it might be money spent but I was also wondering if there was other methods people used and what peoples thought are on this.

Edited by tiger1873, 14 September 2017 - 10:53 AM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 700

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:24 PM

View Posttiger1873, on 14 September 2017 - 09:45 AM, said:

I know many of us have the same problems with kids and attitudes. Does anyone do anything to train for mental toughness? I was thinking not only would it help with the mental aspect of golf  but also useful for other things in life as such taking tests in school.

I was thinking I should get a coach in this as it might be money spent but I was also wondering if there was other methods people used and what peoples thought are on this.

She is too young right now to worry about that.

I would stick to simple concentration exercises.

#3 leezer99

leezer99

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 119

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:30 PM

40% Rule

#4 tiger1873

tiger1873

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 77

Posted 16 September 2017 - 10:29 PM

I am pretty sure she is not too young for mental training. I was told by some guys who used to be in the NFL that psychologists are very important. In fact they suggest you should start them at 7. It is also. It just sports around here. Lot parents who have kids who excel in school use the same training and it really helps them take tests.

Not sure that I agree with that young but I do see value in attitude when it comes to dealing with pressures of competition.   I also think that the mental aspect of the game is very important and it has value beyond jut there golf game.

#5 BNGL

BNGL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 472816
GolfWRX Likes : 81

Posted 17 September 2017 - 10:15 AM

Check out Dave Rutherford's FrogLogic videos on YouTube...just something simple that I took and expanded upon to fit me. He also has a website. It really helped me...particularly with golf. The whole idea with mental training is to plant the seed and let the person grow it. Then the person says "I did that, now I can do this"

#6 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459940
GolfWRX Likes : 122

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:10 AM

I'll check out FrogLogic.

Years ago, long before I became a dad, I read Earl Tiger's book "Raising a Tiger" (or something like that) and got some insight on this topic. Come to find out Trump's methods have been similar with his kids.

#7 EKELLY

EKELLY

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,061 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 405114
  • Handicap:+2
  • Ebay ID:edwardkellyed
GolfWRX Likes : 979

Posted 24 September 2017 - 02:23 PM

Mental toughness can't be taught, but it can be coached. Tiger had an insane level of concentration. If you want a competitor, they have to compete. They have to lose, and decide to work harder. Some do, some don't.....My teacher has a 14 year old student that shot 69 in a tournament a month ago, hasn't broke 80 since. Another shot 2 rounds in the 60's easily, shot 79 in the last round. They have the skill, not the mindset.......You can't teach it, it comes from within. You can coach it, and progress it along, but it isn't a book you can buy, or a cd you can listen to......Success that comes without failure will be short-lived......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors