Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

2017 Pro V1 or Pro V1x more spin?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 AC168

AC168

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4684
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 55

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:53 PM

I feel like Titleist flipped the naming of their golf balls for 2017.  Is the Pro V1 or Pro V1x the higher spin ball?  In general?  Off driver?  Off irons?  Off wedges?

I'm thinking the 1x, but maybe it depends on other things ...

Thanks for any feedback!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 cristphoto

cristphoto

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42981
GolfWRX Likes : 508

Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:06 AM

I believe the x has slightly more spin on the wedges and slightly less spin off the driver. From tests I've seen it's about 200 rpm for both. The v has more spin off the irons.

#3 bmrowe

bmrowe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 152953
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:01 PM

There seems to be a common misconception that the v1 was higher spinning in the short game. The v1x has always been their higher spinning ball around the greens and I believe that continues with the 2017 version.

#4 Chile Dip Master

Chile Dip Master

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46064
GolfWRX Likes : 205

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:35 AM

Titleist indicates the V1x has more spin and higher launch then the V in the 2017 model.   I would assume but not sure the reason the standard V1 is lower launch is because the lower spin rate??  I have been playing the 17' V1 right now and it is pretty nice though  =)

#5 North Butte

North Butte

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,994 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
  • Handicap:9.9
GolfWRX Likes : 3066

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:42 AM

View PostChile Dip Master, on 15 September 2017 - 09:35 AM, said:

Titleist indicates the V1x has more spin and higher launch then the V in the 2017 model.   I would assume but not sure the reason the standard V1 is lower launch is because the lower spin rate??  I have been playing the 17' V1 right now and it is pretty nice though  =)

Launch angle is one thing. Trajectory is another.

I believe Titleist claim the ProV1x flies higher than the ProV1. In previous marketing materials (not sure about this year) they explained that the ProV1x has a different dimple pattern designed to increase trajectory especially with the driver.

The ProV1 is designed to fly lower (Titleist sometimes say "flatter") than the ProV1x. Mostly by dimple design.

The is a very slight inverse relationship between initial launch angle and spin. For a given impact geometry a ball that spins more must necessarily depart the clubface at a very slightly lower angle. But that effect is negligible once the ball is flying through the air.

During its flight after it has actually left the club the combination of dimple design and spin produces whatever trajectory the designer wishes. It is entirely possible to have two high-spin balls that differ in height of flight by using different dimples. Or two low-spin balls.

In 2017 Titleist say the ProV1x is still designed for higher flight but that the previous spin differences have been minimized. Unlike in previous iterations of the two balls. the 2017 ProV1 and ProV1x are very similar in spin. The main differences are now feel and height of flight.

A sensible man will realize that the eyes may be confused in two ways---by a change from light to darkness or from darkness to light; and he will recognize the same thing happens to the soul.

--Plato

#6 Z1ggy16

Z1ggy16

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 430110
GolfWRX Likes : 654

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:51 AM

My impression was that they are both "high spin" and that the main difference intended was flight (x with higher flight), and also a bit on feel, with the x being a bit more firm. Pretty much mimicking the new TP5/x line up now. I mean are we really consistent enough to tell a few hundred RPM off any club?? I don't think so. Both tour caliber balls that are meant to spin with high RPM on the short scoring shots.
Driver: M2
3w: XR16
Hybrid(3): JPX-850
Hybrid(4): 816H1
Irons: Rballz 5 & 6, Rbladez 7-PW
GW: RTX 3.0
SW: MD2
LW: RAC FE2O3  
Putter: O-works #1/Black Series i #9/O-works #1W
Ball: '16 ProV1
Bag: Sun Mountain 2Five/Sun Mountain Sync
Shoe: Puma Biodrive

#7 North Butte

North Butte

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,994 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:56 AM

View PostZ1ggy16, on 15 September 2017 - 09:51 AM, said:

My impression was that they are both "high spin" and that the main difference intended was flight (x with higher flight), and also a bit on feel, with the x being a bit more firm. Pretty much mimicking the new TP5/x line up now. I mean are we really consistent enough to tell a few hundred RPM off any club?? I don't think so. Both tour caliber balls that are meant to spin with high RPM on the short scoring shots.

Back in 2013 when I played a lot with ProV1x I also tried the ProV1. Darned if I could tell any spin difference but the driver trajectory thing was immediately obvious. Feel isn't something I respond to much either way.

But whether your or I could tell it or not, apparently Titleist had LOTS of feedback complaining about the supposed spin differences. Because they are really hammering on the fact that the spin is now similar between 2017 ProV1 and ProV1x as a huge selling point.

Then again, I guess they've got to come up with something to tout as a big deal every two years...
A sensible man will realize that the eyes may be confused in two ways---by a change from light to darkness or from darkness to light; and he will recognize the same thing happens to the soul.

--Plato

#8 Z1ggy16

Z1ggy16

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 430110
GolfWRX Likes : 654

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:09 AM

Meh when I'm on course I don't concern myself with spin, nor can I really tell if my V1x is spinning more or less than a regular v. Mainly I can tell difference in sound/feel and trajectory. People are probably putting them on launch monitors to make these claims I'd guess?
Driver: M2
3w: XR16
Hybrid(3): JPX-850
Hybrid(4): 816H1
Irons: Rballz 5 & 6, Rbladez 7-PW
GW: RTX 3.0
SW: MD2
LW: RAC FE2O3  
Putter: O-works #1/Black Series i #9/O-works #1W
Ball: '16 ProV1
Bag: Sun Mountain 2Five/Sun Mountain Sync
Shoe: Puma Biodrive

#9 Bye

Bye

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 295315
  • Handicap:1
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 16 September 2017 - 03:34 PM

The X is defiantly higher launching higher spinning with the longer clubs. Just try hitting them side by side in to the wind. The V does seem to spin a bit more with pitching and bunker shots. Adam Scott speaks about the difference in the Team Titleist bit. Their marketing has been confusing this year, it's strange because the difference between the 2 balls has never been greater.
Titleist 915 D3 Diamana Blueboard 60X
TBC
Titleist 915F - 5 wood - Diamana Ahina 80X
Titleist 716 3, 5-9 CB - DG X100
Titleist Vokey SM6 - 46.08, 50.08 -DG x100
Titleist Vokey SM6 - 56S, 60M - DG S300
Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback
Titleist Pro v1

#10 playa

playa

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,050 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 280775
GolfWRX Likes : 3715

Posted 17 September 2017 - 04:10 PM

From my experience of seeing what other people play the general rule for titleist balls is that the x is for better golfers with higher swing speeds, and the reg is for older guys with less speed but who are still serious about their equipment. Almost all young guns at my club play the x or the Srixon xv 2017.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 Pepe8714

Pepe8714

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1202
  • Handicap:+2.4
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 17 September 2017 - 08:40 PM

View PostNorth Butte, on 15 September 2017 - 09:56 AM, said:

View PostZ1ggy16, on 15 September 2017 - 09:51 AM, said:

Back in 2013 when I played a lot with ProV1x I also tried the ProV1. Darned if I could tell any spin difference but the driver trajectory thing was immediately obvious. Feel isn't something I respond to much either way.

But whether your or I could tell it or not, apparently Titleist had LOTS of feedback complaining about the supposed spin differences. Because they are really hammering on the fact that the spin is now similar between 2017 ProV1 and ProV1x as a huge selling point.

Then again, I guess they've got to come up with something to tout as a big deal every two years...

Just so I understand here, you're saying that you can tell a difference with a driver trajectory between the two balls (higher or lower?), but you can't tell if either one spins any more or less?

This sounds to me like an extreme lack of consistency in your game, because it makes zero sense otherwise.

#12 North Butte

North Butte

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,994 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2017 - 08:48 PM

Yes, I can tell if one ball flies 10-20 feet higher off my driver than another. There is literally that much difference between ProV1x vs the ProV1 or other balls I've used.

And no, I can not tell for sure that the ProV1x spins any more or less than a ProV1 or Chrome Soft. I sort of suspect it spins a bit more but can't say.

Almost any urethane ball will stop near its ball mark on a well struck 7-iron, 8-iron, 9-iron or wedge. And none of them will spin back unless it's maybe a hard swing at a SW for some reason. So can I say that an 8-iron stopping six inches from where it lands with one ball is "different spin" than one stopping two feet away? Who knows, that could be due to any number of reasons.

But the height thing is immediately obvious. I hit my driver quite low and when one ball consistently flies higher it stands out. It's a real bonus as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by North Butte, 17 September 2017 - 08:48 PM.

--Plato

#13 Pepe8714

Pepe8714

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1202
  • Handicap:+2.4
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 17 September 2017 - 08:54 PM

View PostNorth Butte, on 17 September 2017 - 08:48 PM, said:

Yes, I can tell if one ball flies 10-20 feet higher off my driver than another. There is literally that much difference between ProV1x vs the ProV1 or other balls I've used.

And no, I can not tell for sure that the ProV1x spins any more or less than a ProV1 or Chrome Soft. I sort of suspect it spins a bit more but can't say.

Almost any urethane ball will stop near its ball mark on a well struck 7-iron, 8-iron, 9-iron or wedge. And none of them will spin back unless it's maybe a hard swing at a SW for some reason. So can I say that an 8-iron stopping six inches from where it lands with one ball is "different spin" than one stopping two feet away? Who knows, that could be due to any number of reasons.

But the height thing is immediately obvious. I hit my driver quite low and when one ball consistently flies higher it stands out. It's a real bonus as far as I'm concerned.

Forgive me for being skeptical, but have you considered that it's more of a mental thing than anything else? With all due respect, if you're trying to break 100 on the course (as evidenced by your 17 handicap), it's extremely difficult to believe that you have the consistency required in your swing to even be able to accurately make these observations.

#14 cristphoto

cristphoto

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42981
GolfWRX Likes : 508

Posted 17 September 2017 - 11:16 PM

View PostPepe8714, on 17 September 2017 - 08:54 PM, said:

Forgive me for being skeptical, but have you considered that it's more of a mental thing than anything else? With all due respect, if you're trying to break 100 on the course (as evidenced by your 17 handicap), it's extremely difficult to believe that you have the consistency required in your swing to even be able to accurately make these observations.

For my game the X clearly flies higher off the driver. No way to tell difference in driver spin as both balls are fairly close.

#15 North Butte

North Butte

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,994 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:18 AM

View PostPepe8714, on 17 September 2017 - 08:54 PM, said:

I forgive you.

--Plato

#16 Bye

Bye

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 295315
  • Handicap:1
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 18 September 2017 - 01:00 PM

I desperately want to use the X for the launch launch with the driver and the red number (it's petty)  I just can't use them. My local pro was telling me about the AP3 being the best bits of the AP1 &2, I asked if if they could do this with the ball. I got the FO you tool look.
Titleist 915 D3 Diamana Blueboard 60X
TBC
Titleist 915F - 5 wood - Diamana Ahina 80X
Titleist 716 3, 5-9 CB - DG X100
Titleist Vokey SM6 - 46.08, 50.08 -DG x100
Titleist Vokey SM6 - 56S, 60M - DG S300
Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback
Titleist Pro v1

#17 Nixhex524

Nixhex524

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,707 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 305437
  • Handicap:5.3
  • Ebay ID:Nixhex524
GolfWRX Likes : 537

Posted 19 September 2017 - 03:53 PM

I love the 2017 PV1.  It seems to get the distance for me of the older V1x but still has the feel and performance of the reg V1 around the green which I think is better than the X.  I've been buying them as logo balls for a much better price but haven't been able to get my hands on as many V1x.  I would like to try that one out a bit more, too.  I keep trying to find cheaper alternatives, but just keep coming back to these balls, just more of a comfort/trust thing I think.
Cobra LTD 9.5* Speeder 661 Evo
Titleist 913 Fd 15* Speeder 757 TS
Titleist 913h 21* Proforce V2 90
Titleist 695mb 4-P PX 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM6 52-12/58-12
Scotty Cameron GoLo s5

#18 Chomper

Chomper

Tour Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 968 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 304871
GolfWRX Likes : 319

Posted 19 September 2017 - 05:57 PM

I have found that the ProV1x spins more and feels harsher off driver than the ProV1 - but this holds true solely for the 2017 model.

Otherwise, the only difference I can tell is the color of the number.

#19 playa

playa

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,050 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 280775
GolfWRX Likes : 3715

Posted 19 September 2017 - 06:06 PM

View PostChomper, on 19 September 2017 - 05:57 PM, said:

I have found that the ProV1x spins more and feels harsher off driver than the ProV1 - but this holds true solely for the 2017 model.

Otherwise, the only difference I can tell is the color of the number.
I would agree with this, but my experience with reg ProV is very limited. I don't play either ball but I would play the x if it were cheaper.

#20 thedurtydurden

thedurtydurden

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 180652
  • Handicap:1.8
GolfWRX Likes : 60

Posted 19 September 2017 - 06:11 PM

I was an X player for years but I couldn't control the new ball. It spun waaay too much and just ballooned in the wind. I love this year's ProV, but it too is no match for a TP5 or a Z-Star.

Tour Issue M2 8.5 Speeder Evo 2.0 Tour Spec 661X
Titleist 917 F2 15 Diamana Ltd White 80 X
Titleist 816 H2 19(20) Diamana S+ 90X
Ben Hogan Ft Worth HI 22* TIX100 AMT
Ben Hogan FW15 26*-46* TIX100 AMT
Nike Engage 50 Square, 54(55) Square, 58(60) Toe Sweep
Scotty Cameron
WITB Link

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 jmtbkr

jmtbkr

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122982
  • Handicap:8.0
GolfWRX Likes : 206

Posted 19 September 2017 - 06:16 PM

The '17 V1x spins way lower off the driver. My drives are much straighter with the V1x.
But I really like the feel of the V1 better. Yeah, the x is firmer off the driver and is 'louder' off my driver, but iron play I can't tell the difference.
Ping G15 9* Serrano 60
Ping G15 5W   Serrano 75
Callaway Diablo Edge  18* 24* 30*
Mizuno JPX850  6-GW  DGR300
Mizuno T5   55* 60*  DGR300
Scotty Cameron California Fastback
Nike PD Long
Pro V1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors