Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Callaway Epic Subzero Weights Configuration

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Chuck905

Chuck905

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 400908
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 57

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:15 PM

Has anybody experimented with moving the 12g weight to the front or back?

Thank-you

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Crooksc17

Crooksc17

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 441900
  • Handicap:9
  • Ebay ID:Crooksc17
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:07 AM

I started with the heavy weight back and was very happy with the performance but moved the weights around simply out of curiosity and I am so glad I did. I was getting 10 extra carry yards plus added role. I don't recall the exact numbers from the LM but heavy weight forward was much better for my higher spin swing. The trajectory came down a tad but the flight is piercing. Bumped up the loft from 9* to 10* and it's great. The forgiveness is outrageous. Hit one high toe and it was possible the best drive I've had in years. When I say high toe I mean the ball mark was in to top toe corner of the face. Couldn't believe how far and straight it went. Big fan

#3 sammur70

sammur70

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 182212
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:51 AM

I have my sub zero set up heavy weight forward. And plus 1 degree of loft.
It gives me a very low spinning and boring trajectory. My normal shape is a small cut with low trajectory.
Great consistency and long. Love the Subzero

Edited by sammur70, 14 September 2017 - 07:52 AM.

#4 Chuck905

Chuck905

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:02 AM

Thank you guys, really appreciate the feed back.

I have +6.5* of added launch to 15.5* with a 9* setting and spin rates in the range of as low 1700 and upwards to 3000 rpm.

I'm going to deloft down to 8* with the heavier weight forward; I'm not worry about forgiveness since total distance is my first objective.

#5 xjohnx

xjohnx

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75904
  • Ebay ID:xedgep90x
GolfWRX Likes : 735

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:43 PM

Chuck905, on 14 September 2017 - 08:02 AM, said:

Thank you guys, really appreciate the feed back.

I have +6.5* of added launch to 15.5* with a 9* setting and spin rates in the range of as low 1700 and upwards to 3000 rpm.

I'm going to deloft down to 8* with the heavier weight forward; I'm not worry about forgiveness since total distance is my first objective.

Spoken like a true WRX'r!

Just a word of wisdom with no disrespect. If your spin rates vary that much, that is suggesting your strike is VERY inconsistent. I'd work on that first and worry about a few yards later. If you can become more consistent with your face contact, your average distance is going to go way up. Golf is also more fun from the fairway. All that said, I'm def speaking from experience here so no shame!

As for your question. The weight forward does exactly what it's designed to do. It will bring your launch and your spin rates down some. I'd be careful though because your good strikes with this head should produce the lowest spin rates and if those are already at 1700rpm you're going to start getting into potentially detrimental low spin rates. If your launch a 9* head at 15.5* you likely have a positive angle of attack and shouldn't have too much trouble with spin. If you have an idea of what your number are you can plug them into the flightscope trajectory optimizer online and get a better idea of where you should be to maximize your distance. But worry about hitting the ball solid first.

#6 Chuck905

Chuck905

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:52 PM

Thanks guys, really appreciate the advice.

I ended up getting my club measured and for some reason it came in at D5.5@45.5" which was a blessing in disguise because at 45" length, the swing weight should go down to D4.

Choking down 1/2" for now and finding the sweet spot much more frequently.

As for the swing weight forward, wow, amazing results. Same swing but different trajectory; just penetrating all the way vs the balloon outs.

Ended up settling in 10* of loft for the optimal balance of distance and control.

Will cut the shaft down 1/2" at some point.

Thanks again.

Edited by Chuck905, 14 September 2017 - 02:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors