Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Wilson Staff FG Tour against the Srixon AD333 Tour

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nad12

nad12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 286268
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:08 AM

Hi,
I play to a single digit handicap but oddly (or not) I enjoy playing the typical non-urethane (usually 2-piece) golf ball. I get good results with the NXT Tour S and DT Trusoft. However, I often find I need a little more stopping power in certain situations. So I'm thinking of switching to urethane ball.
I've tried many balls, all types. I often find the tour balls a little too springy (i.e. Pro v1) or mushy feeling (Chrome). I actually like how a 2-piece ball feels a little firmer but still has a non hard cover (so it doesn't feel like it has been oven baked) - a typical ball would be the NXT Tour S.
I suspect the ball compression has a lot to do with it. The 2-piece balls are lower compression than the tour balls. Is this why I like them. My driver speed is around 100mph.

This brings me on to my question.
I read the numbers of the Srixon AD333 Tour. I've played it and it plays well for me. The compression is 75. It is a 3-piece urethane ball.
How does the Wilson Staff FG Tour compare against the AD333 Tour. The FG Tour is, now, 70 compression so I'm expecting it to feel lighter (if you like) but being a 4-piece ball I wonder if it will feel heavier/harder. Every 4-piece ball I've tried have always felt harder than their 3-piece counter-part (for example, I feel the Pro v1x feels harder than the Pro v1).

I actually like a little roll out too. So the ball doesn't have to be ultra sticky. For this reason I also consider the RXS (not RX) ball too.

Has anyone played the FG Tour and AD333 Tour and care to share their thoughts?  I do realise feel is subjective.
Thanks.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 TheShaun

TheShaun

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 96319
GolfWRX Likes : 107

Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:37 PM

I can't compare the AD333 but I've never been disappointed with a Wilson Staff ball, from the Zip, 50, Duo, Duo U and FG Tour.

#3 storm319

storm319

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,407 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99866
GolfWRX Likes : 407

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:58 PM

First, you cannot compare compression between different companies as there is no industry standard and different companies tend to measure different things. I know for a fact that Wilson measures core compression while Srixon measures overall compression.

Second, generally when a company offers 3 and 4/5 piece models, the models with more layers tend to have a higher overall compression. Balls with multiple mantle layers tend to feel a bit harder than they actually are due to the mantle being made of the hardest material that the ball contains.

#4 nad12

nad12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 286268
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:46 AM

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users