Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Shaft Matching

Shafts

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 markjay1

markjay1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 465862
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:29 AM

Here's the situation...I'm reshafting my Ping Glide wedges.  Tom Wishon recommends shafting your wedges with the same shafts as your irons and I want to follow that advice.

My Callaway Apex irons are shafted with UST Mamiya Recoil 660 F3 shafts.  They have a .370 tip.  The Ping wedges accept a .355 tip.  I don't want to bore out the hosel of the Pings - I don't have the equipment or possibly the skills - and I understand that sanding the tip of a graphite shaft too much can be problematic.

So in trying to match a different shaft to the Recoils, after considering flex, bend point, weight and material, are there other parameters to inform me that a particular shaft will play similar to the Recoil?

Thanks all.  Any help is appreciated.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,868 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
GolfWRX Likes : 4746

Posted 13 September 2017 - 05:00 AM

Ping irons have a unique taper to them, they don't match well with the standard taper tip shafts.  For any graphite shaft to get a good fit, some tweaking of the taper will be needed anyways.   So basically finding a taper tip match will not really be as 'simple' a solution to your problem as it might seem.

The work required to reshape the graphite tip does take a bit of patience if don't have any experience doing it but I wouldn't really call it problematic if you stick to hand tools (sandpaper or I personally think a flat file is a better tool for the job).

If you order UST graphite iron shafts direct from UST, you can have them add a taper - although I suspect that might not be ideal based on your location.

And finally most graphite shafts that are in that weight class will be parallel, it's generally only the heavier ones that are available in a tapered version.   At least I'm not familiar with any taper tip options that light other then maybe the Steelfiber i70's/i80's - and the profile wouldn't be the greatest match (firmer tip).

Edited by Stuart G., 13 September 2017 - 05:04 AM.

#3 markjay1

markjay1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 465862
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:22 AM

Stuart, thanks a lot.  I think I need to decide if I want to give up tinkering with the PIngs and just get new wedges.  Maybe tackle an easier project for my first time trying.  Appreciate the help.

#4 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,868 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
GolfWRX Likes : 4746

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:09 AM

No problem.   Obviously it's up to you but I can say there are enough resources and people willing to help here on the forum to get you through it if you decide to continue.

Also tagged with Shafts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors