Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Buying a blade


  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bd59

bd59

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 127312
  • Joined: 04/23/2011
  • Location:Southern Illinois
GolfWRX Likes : 113

Posted 12 September 2017 - 12:41 PM

I'm considering going back to a blade putter. I've been trying mallets for the last few years but I'm having a hard time seeing the line and trusting it.  If you were gonna spend the money on a good one, which one would you choose??


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 Nard_S

Nard_S

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 335269
  • Joined: 08/21/2014
  • Location:Norwalk, CT
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 1756

Posted 12 September 2017 - 01:24 PM

Mallet guy here.I just picked up a nice but not perfect Bettinardi BB2, really like it.

2

#3 golfpro44

golfpro44

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 443670
  • Joined: 10/14/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 12 September 2017 - 01:30 PM

Check out the Bettinardi BB Series - some great options there and they put out awesome limited releases. I game the QB8 myself, but have tested out BBs and you will not be disappointed.

3

#4 Z1ggy16

Z1ggy16

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,989 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 430110
  • Joined: 06/22/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 1517

Posted 12 September 2017 - 01:37 PM

Uhhh depends on a lot of factors:

1) Budget
2) Preferred feel (insert/milled... soft/firm)
3) Stroke type (some blades have more toe hang than others)

With that in mind, there's really no reason you should spend a bunch of money on what's essentially still an experiment for you. I recommend any of the Odyssey #1 style putters, or #1W. Also, any Ping Anser from like... the past 20 years.

If for some reason you like to spend money, the Betti BB1 is a really nice putter, but with the stock grip it feels MEGA firm. Scotty's are abundant and the Newport will fit the bill just fine. Also, the new brand EVNROLL are excellent putters and feel very soft, and come in a Anser style blade or a thicker #1W style. Highly recommended if you can/want to spend >$300.

Edited by Z1ggy16, 12 September 2017 - 01:37 PM.

WITB
DR - '16 M2 X-Torsion Copper 60
3W - F8 2KXV Blue 70
3h - JPX 850 Tensei Blue 80
Irons - P790 4i Modus 105, 5-PW Modus 120
GW - Cobra Trusty 50/8 Modus Wedge 115
SW - Taylormade Fe2O3 56/14 DG S200 (Cobra Trusty 54/10 Modus Wedge 115 for firm turf)
LW - Cobra Trusty 60/8 Modus Wedge 115
P - Odyssey WHP #7 (Custom Xenon on order)
Ball - Project (a)
Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

4

#5 bd59

bd59

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 127312
  • Joined: 04/23/2011
  • Location:Southern Illinois
GolfWRX Likes : 113

Posted 12 September 2017 - 01:46 PM

View PostZ1ggy16, on 12 September 2017 - 01:37 PM, said:

Uhhh depends on a lot of factors:

1) Budget
2) Preferred feel (insert/milled... soft/firm)
3) Stroke type (some blades have more toe hang than others)

With that in mind, there's really no reason you should spend a bunch of money on what's essentially still an experiment for you. I recommend any of the Odyssey #1 style putters, or #1W. Also, any Ping Anser from like... the past 20 years.

If for some reason you like to spend money, the Betti BB1 is a really nice putter, but with the stock grip it feels MEGA firm. Scotty's are abundant and the Newport will fit the bill just fine. Also, the new brand EVNROLL are excellent putters and feel very soft, and come in a Anser style blade or a thicker #1W style. Highly recommended if you can/want to spend >$300.

Thanks. I've tried to get along with the O Works 7s but it's too soft for my liking.  I've been tempted many times to try a ER2 but just haven't pulled the trigger yet.


5

#6 Z1ggy16

Z1ggy16

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,989 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 430110
  • Joined: 06/22/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 1517

Posted 12 September 2017 - 02:54 PM

View Postbd59, on 12 September 2017 - 01:46 PM, said:

View PostZ1ggy16, on 12 September 2017 - 01:37 PM, said:

Uhhh depends on a lot of factors:

1) Budget
2) Preferred feel (insert/milled... soft/firm)
3) Stroke type (some blades have more toe hang than others)

With that in mind, there's really no reason you should spend a bunch of money on what's essentially still an experiment for you. I recommend any of the Odyssey #1 style putters, or #1W. Also, any Ping Anser from like... the past 20 years.

If for some reason you like to spend money, the Betti BB1 is a really nice putter, but with the stock grip it feels MEGA firm. Scotty's are abundant and the Newport will fit the bill just fine. Also, the new brand EVNROLL are excellent putters and feel very soft, and come in a Anser style blade or a thicker #1W style. Highly recommended if you can/want to spend >$300.

Thanks. I've tried to get along with the O Works 7s but it's too soft for my liking.  I've been tempted many times to try a ER2 but just haven't pulled the trigger yet.
If you feel the O works line is too soft, then you'll definitely want a milled face putter. Check out the Odyssey metal insert face putters where it's the typical insert but has a very thin metal mesh over it if you want something cheaper. Also the Cadence line from Ping I think makes a blade, and that should feel much more firm. My Cadence Ketsch TR putter was pretty darn firm feeling. With a high compression ball you got a very pronounced "click" at impact.

The whole line of putters from EVNROLL are awesome. The only reason I don't game one is because they don't make a putter with enough toe hang for my stroke. I tried them all out and they feel wonderful and when I forced my swing to be more of a SBST, it was very good. However, my normal day to say stroke has a much more pronounced arc, so I need a blade with ~45-60* hang. The ER2 has I think 23*? I've begged them to look into producing a putter with more hang... Odds are at some point they will.

If you happen to need a lot of toe hang like me, check out the #9 from Odyssey.

Edited by Z1ggy16, 12 September 2017 - 02:55 PM.

WITB
DR - '16 M2 X-Torsion Copper 60
3W - F8 2KXV Blue 70
3h - JPX 850 Tensei Blue 80
Irons - P790 4i Modus 105, 5-PW Modus 120
GW - Cobra Trusty 50/8 Modus Wedge 115
SW - Taylormade Fe2O3 56/14 DG S200 (Cobra Trusty 54/10 Modus Wedge 115 for firm turf)
LW - Cobra Trusty 60/8 Modus Wedge 115
P - Odyssey WHP #7 (Custom Xenon on order)
Ball - Project (a)
Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

6

#7 6squared

6squared

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 363345
  • Joined: 02/21/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:12 PM

If you like anser, anser 2 or zing style heads then you must test the new Cleveland Huntington Beach collection.
For $100 and some customization options, you get sharp looks for those classic styles with a nice stainless deep mill (feels like medium) and a great lamkin stiock grip.  I just got the #3 and it is my gamer, as good as any blade out there ( and I have my share of customs).  Worth a look

7

#8 golden543

golden543

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 469262
  • Joined: 05/26/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:07 PM

anser 2 vault wont dissapoint
Driver - Taylormade M2 2017 460, hzrdus t1100
3 wood - PXG 0341x, Oban Kiyoshi Purple
6 wood - Callaway Epic 5w 19*, MCA Tensei ck blue 70
4 hybrid - Callaway Apex 4H, MCA Tensei 80 Blue
5-6 iron - Titielist 718 cb, Nippon NS PRO 1050GH
7-9 iron - Titielist 718 mb, Project x LZ 5.5
PW - 46* Vokey sm6 F grind, Project x LZ 5.5
GW - 50* Vokey sm6 F grind, Project x LZ 5.5
SW - 54.5* Vokey sm6 S grind, Project x LZ 5.5
LW - 59* Vokey Wedgeworks V grind, Project x LZ 5.5
Putter - Titielist Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m , Matador White Large

8

#9 golden543

golden543

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 469262
  • Joined: 05/26/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:13 PM

odyssey rsx milled 001 also a very good firm feeling option
Driver - Taylormade M2 2017 460, hzrdus t1100
3 wood - PXG 0341x, Oban Kiyoshi Purple
6 wood - Callaway Epic 5w 19*, MCA Tensei ck blue 70
4 hybrid - Callaway Apex 4H, MCA Tensei 80 Blue
5-6 iron - Titielist 718 cb, Nippon NS PRO 1050GH
7-9 iron - Titielist 718 mb, Project x LZ 5.5
PW - 46* Vokey sm6 F grind, Project x LZ 5.5
GW - 50* Vokey sm6 F grind, Project x LZ 5.5
SW - 54.5* Vokey sm6 S grind, Project x LZ 5.5
LW - 59* Vokey Wedgeworks V grind, Project x LZ 5.5
Putter - Titielist Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m , Matador White Large

9

#10 EaglesGolf99

EaglesGolf99

    (.... Formerly Known As RaidersGolf99)

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 141693
  • Joined: 10/08/2011
  • Location:Foxboro, MA
  • Ebay ID:AceLaird
GolfWRX Likes : 288

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:19 PM

Miura KM-008

2017 WORLD CHAMPION

PHILADELPHIA EAGLES



W.        I.        T.        B.



Callaway Epic Forged JDM 10.5 Diamana Kai'li 80 X

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero TC 16.5 Rombax P95 X

Callaway Apex Hybrid TC 18.0 TourSpec 904HB X

Callaway Apex Hybrid TC 23.0 TourSpec 904HB X

Callaway Apex Hybrid TC 26.0 TourSpec 904HB X

Callaway X Forged UT 30.0 SteelFiber i110 S

Miura 1957 Series CB-57 7-8 SteelFiber i110 S

Miura 1957 Series Baby Blade 9-P SteelFiber i110 S

Miura Raw Hand Grind 52.0 / 10.0 SteelFiber i110 S

Miura Raw Hand Grind 58.0 / 10.0 SteelFiber i110 S

Miura 1957 Series KM-350 DGTI Black Onyx S-400

Callaway 2017 Chrome Soft X


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 Liveoz

Liveoz

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75184
  • Joined: 02/13/2009
  • Ebay ID:liveoz
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:20 PM

View Post6squared, on 13 September 2017 - 08:12 PM, said:

If you like anser, anser 2 or zing style heads then you must test the new Cleveland Huntington Beach collection.
For $100 and some customization options, you get sharp looks for those classic styles with a nice stainless deep mill (feels like medium) and a great lamkin stiock grip.  I just got the #3 and it is my gamer, as good as any blade out there ( and I have my share of customs).  Worth a look

2nd this, I put the #4 in play and have never putted better, came from many years of mallets and never intended to switch but wanted to see how the deep milling felt and just started draining everything,  birdied 7 of first 10 holes with it.

Edited by Liveoz, 13 September 2017 - 10:21 PM.


11

#12 Dreadzombie

Dreadzombie

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 476354
  • Joined: 07/25/2017
  • Location:NY
  • Handicap:15
  • Ebay ID:dreadzombie804
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 21 September 2017 - 07:27 AM

Picked up an Odyssey rsx blade, I like it since it's pretty soft and makes a nice louder sound at impact. Plus the leather grip is fantastic!

12



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors