Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Are they really that much longer

72 replies to this topic

#31 Night train

Night train

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7139
GolfWRX Likes : 1200

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:22 PM

View Postruffellprefley, on 12 September 2017 - 03:13 PM, said:

why do people keep insisting on comparing spin numbers between one set's 7 iron and another set's 7 iron when their lofts are so different?  check out the equivalent loft and compare spin numbers. the G400s of the world don't seem so low spin if you compare in the right way. additionally, they're generally higher launch, so you don't need as much spin to hold a green.

........because the argument doesn't work if you use some logic........compare the 140 yard club in each set and look at spin........or any other yardage you wish to use

Edited by Night train, 12 September 2017 - 03:23 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 BirdieBob

BirdieBob

Member of the 1 Iron Club

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,129 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 12966
GolfWRX Likes : 511

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:23 PM

View Postruffellprefley, on 12 September 2017 - 03:13 PM, said:

why do people keep insisting on comparing spin numbers between one set's 7 iron and another set's 7 iron when their lofts are so different?  check out the equivalent loft and compare spin numbers. the G400s of the world don't seem so low spin if you compare in the right way. additionally, they're generally higher launch, so you don't need as much spin to hold a green.

In order to show why one iron is longer than the other!
Spin is the commonality between these distance irons...low spin.
If you want more spin you must have more loft.

The lower loft is offset in the design by a lower COG that increases height.  All in order to achieve a similar peak height between dissimilar 7 irons.
No, they are not higher launch by design.  Higher launch will be a function of the shaft used with a more flexible shaft seeing higher launch and stiffer shafts a lower launch.

#33 North Butte

North Butte

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
  • Handicap:9.9
GolfWRX Likes : 3073

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:37 PM

For most players, shaft tip stiffness is very low on the list of things influencing trajectory.

I have a 90mph (driver) clubhead speed and zero lag during my downswing. I challenge you to create 0.1 degree higher launch angle on a 7-iron by giving me a more flexible shaft. It ain't happening no way, no how.

According to Tom Wishon, only a few percent of golfers he has ever fitted have sufficient clubhead speed and lag to be able to change trajectories with a "high launch" vs. "low launch" shaft.

But every single golfer will see higher trajectory from low COG, farther back COG and higher COR clubfaces.
A sensible man will realize that the eyes may be confused in two ways---by a change from light to darkness or from darkness to light; and he will recognize the same thing happens to the soul.

--Plato

#34 BirdieBob

BirdieBob

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,129 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:39 PM

View PostNorth Butte, on 12 September 2017 - 03:37 PM, said:

For most players, shaft tip stiffness is very low on the list of things influencing trajectory.

I have a 90mph (driver) clubhead speed and zero lag during my downswing. I challenge you to create 0.1 degree higher launch angle on a 7-iron by giving me a more flexible shaft. It ain't happening no way, no how.

According to Tom Wishon, only a few percent of golfers he has ever fitted have sufficient clubhead speed and lag to be able to change trajectories with a "high launch" vs. "low launch" shaft.

But every single golfer will see higher trajectory from low COG, farther back COG and higher COR clubfaces.

AND that is why the distance irons have lower lofts to keep the launch lower as a result of the COG placement.  Fundamental stuff really!

Only way to get the ball higher is with a more flexible shaft or swing adjustment as I said above.

Edited by BirdieBob, 12 September 2017 - 03:40 PM.

#35 BirdieBob

BirdieBob

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,129 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:48 PM

There is absolutely nothing wrong with these "Distance irons".  As long as the buyer is aware of the tradeoff with lower spin.
If lower spin is not an issue then go for them.  BUT the manufactures do not list "lower spin" or talk about lower spin.  What they talk about is DISTANCE.

If one needs more spin like a PGA TOUR PRO then a distance iron is not your cup of tea.

Get what works and know what you're getting!

Best,
BB

Edited by BirdieBob, 12 September 2017 - 03:49 PM.

#36 DeCuchi

DeCuchi

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131330
  • Handicap:4.6
GolfWRX Likes : 250

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:13 PM

But why keep the launch lower in the first place? If the 28* iron launches at (x) degrees and (x) rpm spin and (x) ball speed.  Why is that ball flight now too high and ineffective when you put a 5 on the bottom, but it's awesome when you put a 6 or a 7 on it?  The wind wouldn't effect it any differently. The ball would react the same when hitting the green.  Why? Because marketing works.  Launch windows people!  Launch windows.

Edited by DeCuchi, 12 September 2017 - 04:16 PM.

You didn't plan to fail,
                you failed to plan!
'17 M1 440/9.5*/Tensei pro white 60s
'17 M2 Tour/16.5*/'ilima 70s
Jetspeed proto/19.5*/Kai'li 70s
MP Fli Hi 3-4/Recoil Proto 95 f5
MP4 5-PW/Recoil Proto 125 f5
Cleveland 588 DSG 53*, 58*/ TT Black Gold S
TM Spider Tour black 🕷
Srixon XV

#37 BirdieBob

BirdieBob

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,129 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:29 PM

View PostDeCuchi, on 12 September 2017 - 04:13 PM, said:

But why keep the launch lower in the first place? If the 28* iron launches at (x) degrees and (x) rpm spin and (x) ball speed.  Why is that ball flight now too high and ineffective when you put a 5 on the bottom, but it's awesome when you put a 6 or a 7 on it?  The wind wouldn't effect it any differently. The ball would react the same when hitting the green.  Why? Because marketing works.  Launch windows people!  Launch windows.

Simple:  Distance iron is #7 iron with #7 iron trajectory and peak height, but #6 iron distance and spin.
IF it had the same height as a #6 iron then it would be just that.

#38 phatchrisrules

phatchrisrules

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20680
  • Handicap:6.5
GolfWRX Likes : 274

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:41 PM

View PostBirdieBob, on 12 September 2017 - 03:48 PM, said:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with these "Distance irons".  As long as the buyer is aware of the tradeoff with lower spin.
If lower spin is not an issue then go for them.  BUT the manufactures do not list "lower spin" or talk about lower spin.  What they talk about is DISTANCE.

If one needs more spin like a PGA TOUR PRO then a distance iron is not your cup of tea.

Best,
BB

But they aren't always lower spinning. I've seen some people spin newer clubs up to 1500 RPMs more and have a better descent angle than they do with their old technology clubs from even 5 years ago with weaker lofts.

A low CG = more launch. Lower loft is used to keep the ball flight respectable in terms of being able to cut through the wind. Most golf shots don't actually fly higher or lower than anything else. I hit my 6i at 30y peak height and my driver at 31-33y peak height depending on the loft of the club. It just looks like I hit a 6i higher because it is closer to us than the driver is when it achieves its apex.

Also, better golf balls are going to spin much more too. I hit a TopFlite vs a TP5 and with the same launch and ball speed the spin was up almost 2k RPMs from 4100 to 5800. I hit the TP5 further because it hit the ideal launch windows.

Most people are fit for irons that spin too much. Most aren't playing your quality 15 stimp meter courses. We don't need to suck a ball back 15-20 feet. I launch my 7i 19* and with 5500 which is universally chastised as too low and I one hop and stop every green. Trust me, you can absolutely hit the ball a ridiculous distance with these numbers and still hit the ball straighter and hold a green provided you have a descent or landing angle of 45-50*.

I carried my 7i 150 last year at 33* with a heavier shaft. I now carry my 7i at 30* with a 10g lighter shaft 170. Both one hopped and stopped. And no I haven't added any extra wedges and no I dont have any distance gaps.

It's fun hitting 2 clubs less into a green now. Try it sometime. You might enjoy it ;)

Edited by phatchrisrules, 12 September 2017 - 04:42 PM.

Ping G30 LS
Taylormade R15 TP
Nike Vapor Flex
Adams 9031 Proto
Mizuno JPX900 Forged
Miura and Nike Engage wedges
Bettinardi Inovai 3.0

#39 Night train

Night train

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:43 PM

So my new 7 iron flies as high as my old 7 iron but spins like my old 6 iron and goes the same distance as my old six iron.

.......I'm hitting it higher and farther with a shorter club. I don't need to worry about my six holding the green, because it's now a seven iron shot.

My new 170 yard club is simply easier to hit.

#40 BirdieBob

BirdieBob

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,129 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:47 PM

View Postphatchrisrules, on 12 September 2017 - 04:41 PM, said:

Best,
BB

But they aren't always lower spinning. I've seen some people spin newer clubs up to 1500 RPMs more and have a better descent angle than they do with their old technology clubs from even 5 years ago with weaker lofts.

A low CG = more launch. Lower loft is used to keep the ball flight respectable in terms of being able to cut through the wind. Most golf shots don't actually fly higher or lower than anything else. I hit my 6i at 30y peak height and my driver at 31-33y peak height depending on the loft of the club. It just looks like I hit a 6i higher because it is closer to us than the driver is when it achieves its apex.

Also, better golf balls are going to spin much more too. I hit a TopFlite vs a TP5 and with the same launch and ball speed the spin was up almost 2k RPMs from 4100 to 5800. I hit the TP5 further because it hit the ideal launch windows.

Most people are fit for irons that spin too much. Most aren't playing your quality 15 stimp meter courses. We don't need to suck a ball back 15-20 feet. I launch my 7i 19* and with 5500 which is universally chastised as too low and I one hop and stop every green. Trust me, you can absolutely hit the ball a ridiculous distance with these numbers and still hit the ball straighter and hold a green provided you have a descent or landing angle of 45-50*.

I carried my 7i 150 last year at 33* with a heavier shaft. I now carry my 7i at 30* with a 10g lighter shaft 170. Both one hopped and stopped. And no I haven't added any extra wedges and no I dont have any distance gaps.

It's fun hitting 2 clubs less into a green now. Try it sometime. You might enjoy it ;)
Check my signature...I know about low spin distance irons!  Did not say they were not good or bad, just that people are not aware of the reason these irons are longer...like the OP.

Hope that the OP now realizes why he was hitting the iron longer.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#41 DeCuchi

DeCuchi

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131330
  • Handicap:4.6
GolfWRX Likes : 250

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:49 PM

View PostBirdieBob, on 12 September 2017 - 04:29 PM, said:

Simple:  Distance iron is #7 iron with #7 iron trajectory and peak height, but #6 iron distance and spin.

In general peak heights are the same across a set of clubs. The apex just happens farther down range as you move through the set. So each iron is going to launch higher across the set. Launch windows are irrelevant, but they are selling like hot cakes.  Again, excellent marketing.
You didn't plan to fail,
                you failed to plan!
'17 M1 440/9.5*/Tensei pro white 60s
'17 M2 Tour/16.5*/'ilima 70s
Jetspeed proto/19.5*/Kai'li 70s
MP Fli Hi 3-4/Recoil Proto 95 f5
MP4 5-PW/Recoil Proto 125 f5
Cleveland 588 DSG 53*, 58*/ TT Black Gold S
TM Spider Tour black 🕷
Srixon XV

#42 BirdieBob

BirdieBob

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,129 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:51 PM

View PostDeCuchi, on 12 September 2017 - 04:49 PM, said:

View PostBirdieBob, on 12 September 2017 - 04:29 PM, said:

In general peak heights are the same across a set of clubs. The apex just happens farther down range as you move through the set. So each iron is going to launch higher across the set. Launch windows are irrelevant, but they are selling like hot cakes.  Again, excellent marketing.
AND trajectory!

#43 phatchrisrules

phatchrisrules

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:09 PM

View PostBirdieBob, on 12 September 2017 - 04:47 PM, said:

View Postphatchrisrules, on 12 September 2017 - 04:41 PM, said:

Best,
BB

Check my signature...I know about low spin distance irons!  Did not say they were not good or bad, just that people are not aware of the reason these irons are longer...like the OP.

Hope that the OP now realizes why he was hitting the iron longer.

My bad.  Posted on mobile so I couldn't see signatures.  You've definitely got some ball speed irons.  Rock on, enjoy the club, I sure am.
Ping G30 LS
Taylormade R15 TP
Nike Vapor Flex
Adams 9031 Proto
Mizuno JPX900 Forged
Bettinardi Inovai 3.0

#44 phatchrisrules

phatchrisrules

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:41 PM

View PostNight train, on 12 September 2017 - 04:43 PM, said:

So my new 7 iron flies as high as my old 7 iron but spins like my old 6 iron and goes the same distance as my old six iron.

.......I'm hitting it higher and farther with a shorter club. I don't need to worry about my six holding the green, because it's now a seven iron shot.

My new 170 yard club is simply easier to hit.

Exactly my argument I've been saying for MONTHS on another golf forum.  Some people just don't listen and I get the same answer back "a driver is for distance and an iron is for control only, it shouldn't go far."  I explained multiple times that if I am hitting a shorter iron, even at the same loft, my chances of hitting it closer to the hole increase substantially with each consecutive shorter club I have in my hand.  In my case, I am now hitting roughly a soft 8i or normal 9i instead of hitting a full bore 7i I am going to get it closer to the hole more often, especially with keeping the spin the same or increasing it.  The argument then begins again when I get "why would I want to hit it further?" and I scream into my hands.
Ping G30 LS
Taylormade R15 TP
Nike Vapor Flex
Adams 9031 Proto
Mizuno JPX900 Forged
Bettinardi Inovai 3.0

#45 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 19,137 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
  • Handicap:1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 18785

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:50 PM

I've been fortunate to attend many different demo days and hit most of the popular irons on the market. Both SGI's and GI, blades and micro cavities....everything. And always with my trusty S300.

I always check lofts of the clubs online before hitting though it's not always fair since some of the demo clubs are bent.

But i have not noticed a major difference in iron distance provided lofts are similar. Even when comparing GI's to blades, though the comparisons are hard, sometimes you have to hit a 6 vs a 7 and choke down etc to get a good comparison. I'd believe 5-6 yards is possible with the same setup and length

I think the "distance" iron stuff providing inconsistent yardages is pure nonsense. The amount of times i have hit 15-20 straight 6 irons into a 5 yard box with a GI club on a reputable LM is far too many for me to think there is any truth to this

Callaway Epic Subzero 8 w/Diamana D+ 70
Callaway XR Pro 14 w/Diamana D+ 80
Callaway Steelhead XR 3 iron w/S300
Callaway Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
Callaway MD Forged 52,56,60 w/S200
Odyssey Versa Works 1W Tank

#46 pegleg

pegleg

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2585
GolfWRX Likes : 529

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:12 PM

Golfwrx seriously needs to create an entire sub-forum called "LOFT", where all the folks who want to spend their lives aimlessly beating this long-dead horse can hang out and apparently enjoy themselves.

The rules of golf allow 14 clubs.

It doesn't lower your score or handicap if your 40° iron is labelled "8 iron", "9 iron" or "PW". Lofts partially determine performance. The number on the bottom of the club never does.

If you carry - for example - 10 irons, what difference does it make if they're labelled "1 - PW", or "5 - XW"?
You could as easily name them after farmyard animals, Beatles albums or ex-wives.

You're arguing endlessly about a marketing scheme. If you dislike capitalism so much, vote to adopt another form of economy.

#47 Noodler

Noodler

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 344441
GolfWRX Likes : 203

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:25 PM

Best,
BB

And there's the rub, many golfers are not aware of the trade-off with spin when selecting or being fit for their irons.

There's a major difference in the trajectory profile (or shape) of the ball flight when hit with a good MB/CB versus GI/SGI iron.  The MB/CB irons typically provide a more boring trajectory that hits peak height later in the flight and not only has more backspin, but also a steeper descent angle.  The GI/SGI produces a more parabolic ball flight with lower backspin and a shallower descent angle.  Sure it's going further, but it's also harder to hold the green.  It's not just "hitting" the green that counts, it's holding the green that is needed.

There was a recent article on GolfWRX about this often overlooked fitting parameter: descent angle.

I prefer to play "darts" on my approach shots and do not want to be "penalized" on a great shot that fails to hold the green.

Edited by Noodler, 12 September 2017 - 06:26 PM.

#48 mosesgolf

mosesgolf

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,893 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6303
GolfWRX Likes : 1258

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:29 PM

I have a backup set of Ping G30's and had to go 5-U (Gap Wedge).  Lofts are jacked up on the Pings.  At the end of the day if you need a 150 yard club that's what you go with.  It doesn't matter if it's a Ping 9 iron or an blade 8 iron.
Titleist 917D2 9.5 Fujikura Tour Spec Pro 74 Stiff
Titleist 913F 17.5 Project X Stiff
Titleist 716T-MB 3 20*
Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW DGS 300
Titleist Vokey SM6 & TVD M 50, 54, 58
Titleist  Scotty Cameron GOLO 3 34

#49 Noodler

Noodler

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:37 PM

View Postmosesgolf, on 12 September 2017 - 06:29 PM, said:

I have a backup set of Ping G30's and had to go 5-U (Gap Wedge).  Lofts are jacked up on the Pings.  At the end of the day if you need a 150 yard club that's what you go with.  It doesn't matter if it's a Ping 9 iron or an blade 8 iron.

Actually it does matter.  All distance is not equal.  How that distance is achieved absolutely impacts the shot.

#50 BirdieBob

BirdieBob

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,129 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:52 PM

Lets say I have a shot into an elevated, firm green and it is downwind.
Distance is 180.
I have two irons...a high spin 7i and a low spin distance 8i.
The 7i goes about 170  and the 8i will also go 170.
The low spin distance 8i will launch higher but with less spin than the 7i but goes just as far....yes it will spin less than a mb blade high spin iron...about 500 rpm less.
With the wind they both hit near the same place on the green.
Q.  Which shot will hold the green the best?

Any guesses..... ;)

Most will say the 7i since it has more spin....BUT that is somewhat negated by the higher launch/peak height of the 8i with less spin.

Well?

Yes, not so simple but just something to think about.

Which iron should I use?

Edited by BirdieBob, 12 September 2017 - 06:59 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#51 Nessism

Nessism

To measure is to know...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,012 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131490
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 6600

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:57 PM

A well struck shot with a GI club will stop just fine on the green.  People saying otherwise must not have ever tried them.
Ping G30 driver w/Adila Rogue Silver 60S
TEE XCG6 3 wood & E8 hybrids
Mizuno Hot Metal irons w/Recoil 95's
Glide 50/55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110's
Ping Anser putter - the "real deal!"

#52 Pigems

Pigems

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,734 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 246559
  • Handicap:7.8
  • Ebay ID:Piggems
GolfWRX Likes : 15529

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:02 PM

View PostBirdieBob, on 12 September 2017 - 06:52 PM, said:

Distance is 180.
The low spin distance 8i will launch higher but with less spin than the 7i but goes just as far....yes it will spin less than a mb blade high spin iron...about 500 rpm less.

Any guesses..... ;)

Most will say the 7i since it has more spin....BUT that is somewhat negated by the higher launch/peak height of the 8i with less spin.

Well?

Which iron should I use?

I'll take the higher spinning 7i with the steeper decent angle all day long.
Callaway BBA 815 12.5*- TiNi 60x
Callaway BBA 815 16*- TiNi 70s
Titleist 690 MB 3i - Pw, S300                    
Titleist SM 52/56/60, S300
SC Studio Stainless 2.5
Ball, Wilson 50Elite

OGA Member #9
Lefty Division

#53 BirdieBob

BirdieBob

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,129 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:05 PM

View PostPigems, on 12 September 2017 - 07:02 PM, said:

Distance is 180.

Any guesses..... ;)

Well?

Which iron should I use?

Wont the 8i have a higher decent angle?...since it launches higher and has a higher peak height?

Maybe you are saying the slightly higher spin of the 7i will keep the ball in the air longer and allow it to drop out of the sky at a higher decent angle...hum.

Edited by BirdieBob, 12 September 2017 - 07:12 PM.

#54 Pigems

Pigems

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,734 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 246559
  • Handicap:7.8
  • Ebay ID:Piggems
GolfWRX Likes : 15529

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:15 PM

View PostBirdieBob, on 12 September 2017 - 07:05 PM, said:

View PostPigems, on 12 September 2017 - 07:02 PM, said:

Distance is 180.

Any guesses..... ;)

Well?

Which iron should I use?

Wont the 8i have a higher decent angle?...since it launches higher and has a higher peak height?

Maybe you are saying the slightly higher spin of the 7i will keep the ball in the air longer and allow it to drop out of the sky at a higher decent angle...hum.

This is why I choose the 7i

View PostNoodler, on 12 September 2017 - 06:25 PM, said:

And there's the rub, many golfers are not aware of the trade-off with spin when selecting or being fit for their irons.

There's a major difference in the trajectory profile (or shape) of the ball flight when hit with a good MB/CB versus GI/SGI iron.  The MB/CB irons typically provide a more boring trajectory that hits peak height later in the flight and not only has more backspin, but also a steeper descent angle.  The GI/SGI produces a more parabolic ball flight with lower backspin and a shallower descent angle.  Sure it's going further, but it's also harder to hold the green.  It's not just "hitting" the green that counts, it's holding the green that is needed.

There was a recent article on GolfWRX about this often overlooked fitting parameter: descent angle.

I prefer to play "darts" on my approach shots and do not want to be "penalized" on a great shot that fails to hold the green.

Edited by Pigems, 12 September 2017 - 07:19 PM.

Callaway BBA 815 12.5*- TiNi 60x
Callaway BBA 815 16*- TiNi 70s
Titleist 690 MB 3i - Pw, S300                    
Titleist SM 52/56/60, S300
SC Studio Stainless 2.5
Ball, Wilson 50Elite

OGA Member #9
Lefty Division

#55 elwhippy

elwhippy

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3536
GolfWRX Likes : 427

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:15 PM

AP2s are not known for their long hitting, much more a precision club. Not really fair comparing them to a pure distance iron.

#56 nbg352

nbg352

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,743 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144021
  • Handicap:8.6
GolfWRX Likes : 3406

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:20 PM

View PostNorth Butte, on 12 September 2017 - 01:15 PM, said:

View PostBirdieBob, on 12 September 2017 - 01:07 PM, said:

A lot less spin............Knuckleballs!!!

:rofl:

Lower loft with lower COG = low spin, normal launch and more distance due to less spin.

Do you hear the manufacturers claiming `less spin' distance irons!  ... No, you hear `our longest irons yet'; `a bag full of drivers', etc.

No free lunch...if you want more distance, you will get less spin.
IF you play on Stimp 5 greens...get'em.

I hit my Ping G irons enough higher than previous types of irons that the 10% or so less spin does not seem to result in any lack of green-holding ability. Playing a "distance" ball will certainly result in shots bouncing over greens but a ProV1x struck with a spring-face 7-iron is going to hold just fine even on my course's very firm-and-fast Tif-Eagle greens.

P.S. And I don't think we're talking a "lot" less spin. Probably a couple hundred rpms or so. Be careful of the "false equivalence" trap. Just because a club is better in one way than some other club is does not necessarily follow is worse in some other way. Some things are just better, with no trade-off required. Compare a ProV1 to a Titleist Tour Balata. The modern ball is better is every possible way, there's no "You can't have more X without having less Y" involved.
Thank God someone here knows the truth. OP, GI and SGI clubs generally fly as high or higher than players clubs. So, even though they produce slightly less spin, they come out of the sky on a steeper angle and stop quickly. They do not produce a hot shot on one swing and then a soft shot the next swing. They are as reliable distance wise as any clubs the naysayers here might use as an example to the contrary.
Thanks North Butte for bucking this thread's trend towards ill informed info.

Edited by nbg352, 12 September 2017 - 07:23 PM.

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby  KE4  14* 3w , Axe Excaliber  R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
   Mizuno MP30  5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

#57 Night train

Night train

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:28 PM

I think they are more reliable distance wise..........because most people are more likely to make a solid strike with them.

#58 Noodler

Noodler

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:31 PM

Backspin > Descent Angle when it comes to stopping power.

You see this on TrackMan, FlightScope, and Foresight.  You also see it every week on the PGA tour (or if you play with a better golfer) with lower flying shots that check and stop immediately (or back up a few feet).  Then you have the not-so-good golfer hitting a moon ball with little spin that rolls out 5 yards.

#59 nbg352

nbg352

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,743 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144021
  • Handicap:8.6
GolfWRX Likes : 3406

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:45 PM

View PostNoodler, on 12 September 2017 - 07:31 PM, said:

You see this on TrackMan, FlightScope, and Foresight.  You also see it every week on the PGA tour (or if you play with a better golfer) with lower flying shots that check and stop immediately (or back up a few feet).  Then you have the not-so-good golfer hitting a moon ball with little spin that rolls out 5 yards.
Maybe on your Flightscope, but on mine, SGI and GI 6 irons produce approximately 6000 rpm of spin which is the same as my Hogan Apex 5 iron ( same loft and length ) or my MP 30 6 iron ( bent 3* strong and 1/2" over standard ).
What you are suggesting is, by and large, simply not true.
R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby  KE4  14* 3w , Axe Excaliber  R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
   Mizuno MP30  5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

#60 Noodler

Noodler

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:28 PM

View Postnbg352, on 12 September 2017 - 07:45 PM, said:

View PostNoodler, on 12 September 2017 - 07:31 PM, said:

Maybe on your Flightscope, but on mine, SGI and GI 6 irons produce approximately 6000 rpm of spin which is the same as my Hogan Apex 5 iron ( same loft and length ) or my MP 30 6 iron ( bent 3* strong and 1/2" over standard ).
What you are suggesting is, by and large, simply not true.

Please don't misinterpret what I'm stating (or assume more than I'm saying).  You are correct that effective loft provides the vast majority of influence over the resulting backspin amount.  So, yes, if the lofts are equal you're not going to see that much of a difference for equivalent strikes.  The point here is that loft-jacking is "playing a game" by deceiving the consumer without acknowledging what's really happening with spin in order to achieve the distance increases.

Outside of that, there are differences in the design, such as the CoG vertical and horizontal placement, between typical MB/CB and GI/SGI irons that do affect ball flight.  More backspin and a steeper descent angle result in higher stopping power; no arguing that.  The real point here is that golfers shouldn't succumb to "distance greed" when it comes to iron selection because having sufficient backspin is critical for the manner in which irons are used.

Edited by Noodler, 12 September 2017 - 09:29 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors