Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Mom doesn't get it: Clarification

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 SkiSchoolPro

SkiSchoolPro

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 469938
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 47

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:59 AM

Topic is locked and there seems to be some confusion regarding my OP, so I'll clarify.

Cool Hand Luke is correct...the course was open to the public about a half hour or so after the leaders teed off in the final group of the tournament. The 13 year old boys were not playing in the tournament (but they were aware of the tournament and everyone was required to get off the course whenever the tournament committee felt there was a lighting danger).

I get that mom might have had something important to do, including the possibility of other siblings to take care of. She did say that she called her son on his cell phone multiple times for the last hour, but, like myself, he did not seem to be using it during the round (which I think is a good habit personally).

My thinking was that if mom was a golfer, that she would have simply asked to take a cart and could have driven out and picked them up an hour earlier. Once they were at the 18th green, I thought she could let them finish and I doubt any golfer would have yelled at them while I was trying to play my approach. She did not come up to me, but I would have been happy to give them a ride (but other than playing with the grandfather a few years back, the family doesn't know me and I wasn't part of the boys original foursome, so no real chance to coordinate beforehand).

There are several reasons I started this thread:

1. I was happy to see some young local blood have a passion for the sport.
2. Highlight the extra hurdles a kid from a non-golfing family may have when trying to get into the sport.

I wasn't trying to completely throw mom under the bus, but did feel that if she was a golfer herself, that she would have acted differently.

Edited by SkiSchoolPro, 12 September 2017 - 10:02 AM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,425 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99408
GolfWRX Likes : 3518

Posted 12 September 2017 - 11:16 AM

I know the original thread got off topic, but I was surprised to see it locked.
Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

#3 chippa13

chippa13

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 394742
GolfWRX Likes : 976

Posted 12 September 2017 - 12:36 PM

The kids were out there for over 6 hours. I think Mom was rightly angry for one of them not checking the phone for the last hour. And no mother is going to ask a random golfer to drive her tween kids somewhere.

"I see you've got that spacious, non-descript van in the lot......would you mind driving my kids home?"

#4 DrCRHop

DrCRHop

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 159143
GolfWRX Likes : 71

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:19 PM

It was a random round of golf.  She didn't pull them off the 18th at Augusta.  Why anyone would start a thread about this is baffling.  You have no idea what is going on but somehow golf should be the #1 priority in a family you don't know?  Good grief.

#5 SkiSchoolPro

SkiSchoolPro

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 469938
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 47

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:16 PM

View PostDrCRHop, on 12 September 2017 - 04:19 PM, said:

It was a random round of golf.  She didn't pull them off the 18th at Augusta.  Why anyone would start a thread about this is baffling.  You have no idea what is going on but somehow golf should be the #1 priority in a family you don't know?  Good grief.

Maybe my perception is mistaken living in the mountains, but it seems to me that golf is having trouble attracting new players (and retaining the ones they have). There are many reasons for this including the amount of time that it takes to play a round. In this case, unusual circumstances caused this to be an extremely long round, but the kids didn't seem to mind and were having a good time. Mom was there when they teed off, but I am not sure when she left. If she left right away, they should have given her a call during one of the front 9 delays or on the turn.

My point isn't that golf should be the #! priority in people's lives, but felt it was unfortunate when an enjoyable day for the boys came to a crashing halt with mom screaming at them on 18. Hopefully they will have the chance to play many more rounds in the future, but I think this shows how family commitments and lack of transportation can keep people who enjoy the game from playing. Had mom been a golfer, she may have still pulled them off the course mid-round, but likely would have done so in a different manner.

Edited by SkiSchoolPro, 12 September 2017 - 05:19 PM.

#6 jpdx

jpdx

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 430484
GolfWRX Likes : 223

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:11 PM

Imo mom was totally justified in taking them and not letting them putt out. If she had been calling for the last hour and the kids didn't respond at all...the whole situation could've been avoided easily if he had just called her back while walking between holes.

I don't have kids yet, but I guarantee that I would be quite upset if I called multiple times in the last hour and heard nothing from them. I might not have screamed and yelled on the course but be sure they'd hear about it on the ride home.

I see your point in seeing young blood though. It sure is nice and great that they're out there.

Edited by jpdx, 12 September 2017 - 06:13 PM.

Nike Vapor Flex 440 driver 12.5* Diamana Blueboard
Nike Vapor Fly 3 wood 15* Diamana Blueboard
Nike Vapor Fly 3 hybrid 20* Diamana Blueboard
Nike Vapor Fly Pro 4-AW DG Pro S300
Nike Engage 54* SS and 58* DS
Nike Method Matter m4-12
Nike Air Hybrid II Bag

back up/other bag in progress
Nike Vapor Pro driver 9.5* Diamana Blueboard
Taylormade Burner 2.0 3 wood stock r flex shaft
Taylormade Burner 2.0 3 hybrid stock r flex haft

Nike Vapor Pro 4-PW DG s300