Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

California weekend adventures.


  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 RP29

RP29

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 467504
  • Joined: 05/14/2017
  • Location:Canada
GolfWRX Likes : 107

Posted 11 September 2017 - 10:47 PM

Hey guys, just wanted to drop a line to see if anyone had suggestions for courses in Southern California, San-Diego/Palm springs type spots.

I'm going to be there in November/December for 3 weeks for a training Det and we're getting about 3 weekends to check the area around. I wouldn't mind 1-2 top tier courses but mid grade is more my budget. Any hidden gems out there? Thanks in advance!

Edit: would totally be down to play a round with someone, we are actually allowed to bring our clubs this time!

Edited by RP29, 11 September 2017 - 10:51 PM.

The number in the picture is my balls speed

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 2ball

2ball

    LEFTY

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15610
  • Joined: 06/20/2006
  • Location:Was - Chicago Now in - Orange County, CA
GolfWRX Likes : 130

Posted 12 September 2017 - 01:22 PM

Hopefully some of the san diego residents will chime in. I'm from orange county so that could be an  hour to an hour and half commute

2

#3 bradski

bradski

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,085 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52232
  • Joined: 03/25/2008
  • Location:Utah from San Diego
GolfWRX Likes : 127

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:42 AM

In December Palm springs is going to be the best weather.  San Diego will likely be decent weather but there is a reason the snow birds flock to Palm springs from December- March.  Where exactly are you staying so we can better recommend courses.    Keep in mind if it is an hour away it could be 2-3 with traffic.

I SD the top courses are
1. Maderas
2. Barona
3. Aviara
4. Torrey south

3

#4 thevaporz

thevaporz

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151963
  • Joined: 12/22/2011
  • Location:San Diego
  • Handicap:13
GolfWRX Likes : 653

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:03 PM

Keep us posted when you get here. I'm down to meet up in SD. Balboa and Coronado are must plays IMO.

4

#5 RP29

RP29

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 467504
  • Joined: 05/14/2017
  • Location:Canada
GolfWRX Likes : 107

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:11 PM

View Postthevaporz, on 13 September 2017 - 02:03 PM, said:

Keep us posted when you get here. I'm down to meet up in SD. Balboa and Coronado are must plays IMO.

For sure, it's going to be around late nov to mid dec more or less.

We're staying at a wonderful naval air station :fie:  east of San Diego, so it will be a drive no matter what.

Thanks for the recommendations so far and looking forward to potentially playing a round with someone!

Remi

The number in the picture is my balls speed

5

#6 bradski

bradski

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,085 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52232
  • Joined: 03/25/2008
  • Location:Utah from San Diego
GolfWRX Likes : 127

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:34 PM

View PostRP29, on 13 September 2017 - 02:11 PM, said:

View Postthevaporz, on 13 September 2017 - 02:03 PM, said:

Keep us posted when you get here. I'm down to meet up in SD. Balboa and Coronado are must plays IMO.

For sure, it's going to be around late nov to mid dec more or less.

We're staying at a wonderful naval air station :fie:  east of San Diego, so it will be a drive no matter what.

Thanks for the recommendations so far and looking forward to potentially playing a round with someone!

Remi



Miramar?     I worked right by there for a couple of years.  you will basically be 30-40 minutes from all of the courses I mentioned.   Drive east to Ram's hill when they reopen .   totally worth it.

6

#7 RP29

RP29

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 467504
  • Joined: 05/14/2017
  • Location:Canada
GolfWRX Likes : 107

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:38 PM

Miramar would be amazing, alas no.

El Centro.
The number in the picture is my balls speed

7

#8 bradski

bradski

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,085 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52232
  • Joined: 03/25/2008
  • Location:Utah from San Diego
GolfWRX Likes : 127

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:45 PM

View PostRP29, on 13 September 2017 - 02:38 PM, said:

Miramar would be amazing, alas no.

El Centro.

Then Rams Hill is the best course within 1.5 hours drive.

There are tons in palm springs and that is an easy drive.    There are a ton of threads on Palm springs.  
Palm Springs
1. Silverrock(if they are reopen 18 by then)
2. both Indian Wells courses
3. pga west (Stadium, nicklaus, norman)
4. Desert willow courses
5. Escena
6. Shadow Ridge
7. The classic

Soo many more There are over 100 courses in that valley.

8

#9 bradski

bradski

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,085 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52232
  • Joined: 03/25/2008
  • Location:Utah from San Diego
GolfWRX Likes : 127

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:49 PM

Forgot to add,

you can play the military courses in San Diego since you can get on base.  
-Sea and Air front 9 is boring but back 9 has some ocean holes.  Right next to the landing strip on Coronado base.  
-Admiral baker anyone can play but the north course is solid.

9

#10 RP29

RP29

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 467504
  • Joined: 05/14/2017
  • Location:Canada
GolfWRX Likes : 107

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:50 PM

View Postbradski, on 13 September 2017 - 02:45 PM, said:

View PostRP29, on 13 September 2017 - 02:38 PM, said:

Miramar would be amazing, alas no.

El Centro.

Then Rams Hill is the best course within 1.5 hours drive.

There are tons in palm springs and that is an easy drive. There are a ton of threads on Palm springs.  
Palm Springs
1. Silverrock(if they are reopen 18 by then)
2. both Indian Wells courses
3. pga west (Stadium, nicklaus, norman)
4. Desert willow courses
5. Escena
6. Shadow Ridge
7. The classic

Soo many more There are over 100 courses in that valley.

Awesome we'll look into it! It's unnatural for us canadians to think of golf in December, blasphemy!

The number in the picture is my balls speed

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 thevaporz

thevaporz

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151963
  • Joined: 12/22/2011
  • Location:San Diego
  • Handicap:13
GolfWRX Likes : 653

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:54 PM

Yeah, El Centro is fairly close to Ram's Hill (incredible course). Sycuan is decent and out East, Steele Canyon also. Cheap weekday rounds could be had for $20-$80 at those three courses.

I'd love to play Sea & Air if you could bring a non-military guest, which I believe you can. Never played it. Admiral Baker North is a great track too. These are about an hour and a half dead west from El Centro on the 8 freeway.

Edited by thevaporz, 13 September 2017 - 02:56 PM.


11

#12 bradski

bradski

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,085 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52232
  • Joined: 03/25/2008
  • Location:Utah from San Diego
GolfWRX Likes : 127

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:59 PM

View Postthevaporz, on 13 September 2017 - 02:54 PM, said:

Yeah, El Centro is fairly close to Ram's Hill (incredible course). Sycuan is decent and out East, Steele Canyon also. Cheap weekday rounds could be had for $20-$80 at those three courses.

I'd love to play Sea & Air if you could bring a non-military guest, which I believe you can. Never played it. Admiral Baker North is a great track too. These are about an hour and a half dead west from El Centro on the 8 freeway.

The pro shop at Sea and air says anyone can play if you can get in.  I have met people right before the gates to take me in and play.

12

#13 bradski

bradski

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,085 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52232
  • Joined: 03/25/2008
  • Location:Utah from San Diego
GolfWRX Likes : 127

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:00 PM

View PostRP29, on 13 September 2017 - 02:50 PM, said:

View Postbradski, on 13 September 2017 - 02:45 PM, said:

View PostRP29, on 13 September 2017 - 02:38 PM, said:

Miramar would be amazing, alas no.

El Centro.

Then Rams Hill is the best course within 1.5 hours drive.

There are tons in palm springs and that is an easy drive. There are a ton of threads on Palm springs.  
Palm Springs
1. Silverrock(if they are reopen 18 by then)
2. both Indian Wells courses
3. pga west (Stadium, nicklaus, norman)
4. Desert willow courses
5. Escena
6. Shadow Ridge
7. The classic

Soo many more There are over 100 courses in that valley.

Awesome we'll look into it! It's unnatural for us canadians to think of golf in December, blasphemy!

Palm springs is full of  Canadian's getting away from the cold.  December is start of prime season.   most courses have finished overseeding from oct and nov and are in great shape.

13

#14 ebrasmus21

ebrasmus21

    Serial Shanker

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 250392
  • Joined: 05/13/2013
  • Location:CA
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 2040

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:04 PM

I hope you get a chance to play T. Pines.  Not sure what the weather will be like but its a great track and the views are truly stunning.
Cobra F7+ - Copperhead 70TX
Ping G15 - Looking to replace
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
23* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
5-PW Yururi Flat Back Raw (Black) - DGTI X100s
GW, SW Royal Collect Dual Bite - DGTI S400s
Lob Wedge - SM6 MGrind - DGTI S400
Scotty Circa '62 No. 2
Snell MTB Black

14

#15 RP29

RP29

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 467504
  • Joined: 05/14/2017
  • Location:Canada
GolfWRX Likes : 107

Posted 13 September 2017 - 04:04 PM

Thanks guys, I'll look into the suggestions. I'm really into playing Torrey but for the hassle there seems to be a ton of better options.

The number in the picture is my balls speed

15

#16 ebrasmus21

ebrasmus21

    Serial Shanker

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 250392
  • Joined: 05/13/2013
  • Location:CA
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 2040

Posted 13 September 2017 - 05:13 PM

View PostRP29, on 13 September 2017 - 04:04 PM, said:

Thanks guys, I'll look into the suggestions. I'm really into playing Torrey but for the hassle there seems to be a ton of better options.

Wasn't much hassle for me.  I went on a weekday, twilight, perfect weather, walked up to the window and asked the starter if he could get me on the course.  I was playing about 50 minutes later.  

There are plenty of options down there but I'd give Torrey a good hard look.
Cobra F7+ - Copperhead 70TX
Ping G15 - Looking to replace
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
23* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
5-PW Yururi Flat Back Raw (Black) - DGTI X100s
GW, SW Royal Collect Dual Bite - DGTI S400s
Lob Wedge - SM6 MGrind - DGTI S400
Scotty Circa '62 No. 2
Snell MTB Black

16

#17 RP29

RP29

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 467504
  • Joined: 05/14/2017
  • Location:Canada
GolfWRX Likes : 107

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:11 PM

Just a follow up. Got on Torrey today (couldn't fly since donald was in town) had a great time. What a punishing golf course!

Not sure where to next! But I'd be down for a round around San Diego if anyone would take an extra.

Thanks again for the advice
The number in the picture is my balls speed

17

#18 schley

schley

    Love ya don't tell ya enough!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58583
  • Joined: 06/22/2008
  • Location:Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
  • Handicap:12.3
GolfWRX Likes : 183

Posted 17 March 2018 - 10:18 AM

So where did you go besides Torrey?

18

#19 RP29

RP29

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 467504
  • Joined: 05/14/2017
  • Location:Canada
GolfWRX Likes : 107

Posted 17 March 2018 - 12:01 PM

I played Aviara and Rams Hill.

So far Aviara is my favorite! They were setting up for the Kia classic so the course was pristine, really enjoyed the layout too!

Rams hill was also a good time, decent layout and great conditions, unfortunately the strong winds made it borderline unplayable

I think I'm going to try and play today if anyone has suggestions!
The number in the picture is my balls speed

19



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors