Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Need help picking a long club

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 FlyingLaw1

FlyingLaw1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 468870
  • Handicap:1
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:58 PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm really kinda stuck and really need some advice...

My situation is this... 6 weeks ago I got new irons. Switched from Ping Anser to the Mizuno JPX 900 forged (C Taper S 120 +1"). The Mizzy's are stronger than my Pings were and as a result my Ping Crossover 4 barely goes further than my 5 iron. My 5 iron gets out to about 205-210 where the Crossover goes about 210-215. My next club is a 5 wood that I hit about 235-245. On top of that I've never been in love with the Ping--mostly the feel the thing makes on contact.

My question is... What do you all recommend I replace the Crossover with? I'm stuck between a more traditional long iron and a players hybrid. I'm an accomplished player but I sometimes need at least a little forgiveness. I've strongly considered getting the MP-18 Fli Hi when it comes out--I'll at least be trying one out. I also really value feel. I'm not opposed to going back to a hybrid but I dumped my i15 because I couldn't control the ball flight and I had a tendency to hook the crap out of it. Lastly, I'll need something that I can use in all sorts of situations--off the tee, fairway, and rough.

What do you all think? Where should I be focusing my research?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Carvallo Golf

Carvallo Golf

Splash Pad Gangsta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 474344
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:49 AM

If you are hitting your 5 iron like that, I would add a 4 iron.  That's what I would do.
Current WITB:
Driver: Taylormade R7 TP 8.5
Fwy Wood: something small, considering putting a cobra F6 in play
Irons: something older, forged, and MOI matched
Wedges: Cobra One length 54&60 deg w/TT DG X100
Putter: Slotline HMI w/Superstroke Slim 3.0
Ball: TP5/B330S/ProV1

Currently contemplating what club to add...utility driving iron, hybrid, or another fairway wood

#3 FlyingLaw1

FlyingLaw1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:27 AM

View PostCarvallo Golf, on 12 September 2017 - 07:49 AM, said:

If you are hitting your 5 iron like that, I would add a 4 iron.  That's what I would do.

I've thought about that, too. I'd really like a little more forgiveness in the longer club though.

#4 EddieEdwards

EddieEdwards

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 377408
GolfWRX Likes : 57

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:38 AM

7 wood, 4 hybrid, or 4 iron.

#5 Carvallo Golf

Carvallo Golf

Splash Pad Gangsta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 474344
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:15 PM

View PostFlyingLaw1, on 12 September 2017 - 08:27 AM, said:

I've thought about that, too. I'd really like a little more forgiveness in the longer club though.

What irons do you play now?  There are plenty of alternatives in stock irons(look at different models long irons for better forgiveness T-MB, P790), utility irons, hybrid irons, hybrids, etc.  I choose based on my preferences and how the club is going to fit into my bag.

Maybe you just need a loft adjustment on the Ping Crossover(not sure if possible).

Current WITB:
Driver: Taylormade R7 TP 8.5
Fwy Wood: something small, considering putting a cobra F6 in play
Irons: something older, forged, and MOI matched
Wedges: Cobra One length 54&60 deg w/TT DG X100
Putter: Slotline HMI w/Superstroke Slim 3.0
Ball: TP5/B330S/ProV1

Currently contemplating what club to add...utility driving iron, hybrid, or another fairway wood

#6 FlyingLaw1

FlyingLaw1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:36 PM

View PostCarvallo Golf, on 12 September 2017 - 03:15 PM, said:

View PostFlyingLaw1, on 12 September 2017 - 08:27 AM, said:

What irons do you play now?  There are plenty of alternatives in stock irons(look at different models long irons for better forgiveness T-MB, P790), utility irons, hybrid irons, hybrids, etc.  I choose based on my preferences and how the club is going to fit into my bag.

Maybe you just need a loft adjustment on the Ping Crossover(not sure if possible).

I'm playing JPX 900 Forged with C taper S (hard stepped) in +1". I've thought about changing the loft on my Ping but with the new MP-18 Fli Hi coming out I'm going to give that a close look. I'd really like something with more feel as well, the Ping just feels a little too clunky for me.

Unfortunately I live in an area where there aren't many good options for demo-ing and getting fit for new clubs. One of the benefits of the Mizzy for me is that there is a shop here that has all the demo and shafts and even has a trackman.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors