Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Want to reach scratch. Want to help?


  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Franzen

Franzen

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 61790
  • Joined: 07/29/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 11 September 2017 - 12:59 PM






Youngest kid about to quit diapers. Scratch, here we come...ETA 2020...

Any tips on the way?

Edited by Franzen, 11 September 2017 - 01:16 PM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 sb944

sb944

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 478852
  • Joined: 08/14/2017
  • Location:Australia
  • Handicap:18
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:14 PM

Love the long term goal, I love that about this game, there is no urgent time issues to freak out about, give me a 3 year goal.  Obviously, along the way there should also be a tonne of short term goals, perhaps put up a short term goal.  Try to be process based with your goals, not results based.

I'm not a swing coach, but I think you could squat down more in transition putting your left arm out in front of your body more as you rotate back to the ball.

2

#3 Frasier Crane

Frasier Crane

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481648
  • Joined: 09/12/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:12 PM

Two suggestions:

1. On the downswing, go with a slightly more bowed left wrist.

2.  If you pause your swing at the impact position, your left shoulder seems to have not rotated enough. Check out tour pro swing sequences and pause them at impact. It seems like their shoulders have rotated just the slightest bit more than yours at impact.

Take what I'm saying with the hugest grain of salt. Your swing seems pretty good as it is and as such I'm not sure it's wise to change a thing... but maybe those two suggestions might get you a little more distance, which generally does correlate to lower scores lol!

Edited by Frasier Crane, 12 September 2017 - 08:14 PM.


3

#4 Franzen

Franzen

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 61790
  • Joined: 07/29/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 13 September 2017 - 04:31 AM

View PostFrasier Crane, on 12 September 2017 - 08:12 PM, said:

Two suggestions:

1. On the downswing, go with a slightly more bowed left wrist.

2.  If you pause your swing at the impact position, your left shoulder seems to have not rotated enough. Check out tour pro swing sequences and pause them at impact. It seems like their shoulders have rotated just the slightest bit more than yours at impact.

Take what I'm saying with the hugest grain of salt. Your swing seems pretty good as it is and as such I'm not sure it's wise to change a thing... but maybe those two suggestions might get you a little more distance, which generally does correlate to lower scores lol!

I've been working hard to get rid of a pull/slice, so I'm a bit afraid to open up too much thru the ball...but I'm aware of it, thanks! Could be this is why the squat is gone too. Guarding against instability, sort of.

Goals for 2018:

- Qualify for a national event
- Win the regional championship
- Hcp below 3
- Play a bogey free round (18 holes)

4

#5 Frasier Crane

Frasier Crane

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481648
  • Joined: 09/12/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:09 PM

View PostFranzen, on 13 September 2017 - 04:31 AM, said:

View PostFrasier Crane, on 12 September 2017 - 08:12 PM, said:

Two suggestions:

1. On the downswing, go with a slightly more bowed left wrist.

2.  If you pause your swing at the impact position, your left shoulder seems to have not rotated enough. Check out tour pro swing sequences and pause them at impact. It seems like their shoulders have rotated just the slightest bit more than yours at impact.

Take what I'm saying with the hugest grain of salt. Your swing seems pretty good as it is and as such I'm not sure it's wise to change a thing... but maybe those two suggestions might get you a little more distance, which generally does correlate to lower scores lol!

I've been working hard to get rid of a pull/slice, so I'm a bit afraid to open up too much thru the ball...but I'm aware of it, thanks! Could be this is why the squat is gone too. Guarding against instability, sort of.

Goals for 2018:

- Qualify for a national event
- Win the regional championship
- Hcp below 3
- Play a bogey free round (18 holes)

I wish you the best on your goals! Your swing seems good enough to make it happen.

The slightly bowed left wrist should take care of the slice IMO. The bowed left wrist along with a little more shoulder rotation, "opening up" as you say, could be complementary moves that compensate for each other?  

I like your balance in the swing, and I recently saw Jack Nicklaus say that he dislikes the "squatting" move that Justin Thomas (and others) sometimes has... he thinks it's a source of inconsistency. He said Thomas hit his best shots when his head didn't move (meaning he didn't squat down, which dropped his head level) and he just rotated.

At the end of the day, I feel as though I'm really nitpicking here. Whatever changes you do make, it seems like they should be only incremental in nature. There's good rotation, good balance, little head movement, no over-swinging... all good things!!!

Edited by Frasier Crane, 13 September 2017 - 02:09 PM.


5

#6 Franzen

Franzen

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 61790
  • Joined: 07/29/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:59 PM

Yes, could absolutely be complementary moves. I can like the idea of having one move that "reminds you" of another. Like, because I have this feeling in my hands I must remember to have this feeling in the wind up. Will try it...it's a looong winter coming up...

Thanks again.
To be continued...

6

#7 Franzen

Franzen

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 61790
  • Joined: 07/29/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 13 September 2017 - 04:05 PM

Just have to add a glimpse of our course :nyam:

Region tour 2017.jpg

Edited by Franzen, 13 September 2017 - 05:05 PM.


7

#8 DavePelz4

DavePelz4

    Legend

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 20,268 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69051
  • Joined: 11/10/2008
  • Location:A golf course in the Chicago area.
  • Handicap:10.0
GolfWRX Likes : 18948

Posted 13 September 2017 - 04:37 PM

View PostFranzen, on 13 September 2017 - 04:05 PM, said:

Just have to add a glimpse of our course :nyam:

Attachment Regon tour 2017.jpg

Beautiful course...and kind of a Zach Johnson follow through.

8

#9 ElMacho

ElMacho

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 323649
  • Joined: 06/27/2014
  • Location:USA
  • Handicap:inf
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 16 September 2017 - 02:55 PM

View PostFranzen, on 11 September 2017 - 12:59 PM, said:



Love your swing. I wouldn't change it. Tips? Re-read the Pelz books. I learned more from my second pass than then first.
Mizuno MP-T4 60o, 54o, 50o Wedges
Mizuno MP-4 PW-3 Irons
Mizuno MP-650 4 Hybrid
Mizuno MP-650 3 Wood
Honma Beres C-01 2* Driver
Mizuno MP-A309 Putter

9



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors