Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

GPS watch on a budget


  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 BY#99

BY#99

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 449482
  • Joined: 12/21/2016
  • Location:USA
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 41

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:52 AM

So I use a handheld GPS which I love. However, I like the convenience of having a watch. I feel like on a course I am familiar with the watch will do fine. I like the handheld because it has a course layout and some other good features which is useful for unfamiliar courses.

I am looking to spend $200 max so any suggestions?

FYI- I am not looking at the Garmin S20. I have purchased 2 of these from 2 different stores and neither worked. Had a friend purchase and his is hit or miss for recognizing course/holes. So something other than that model would be helpful. Thanks.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 cristphoto

cristphoto

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,023 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42981
  • Joined: 11/30/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 609

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:00 AM

I recently bought a Bushnell Excel watch for $200 at Golf Galaxy. It seems accurate, has long battery life (3 rounds), and has some neat features. Comes with a swing speed monitor and a pedometer. Both link to an app that you get when you register the phone. The app also has visuals of the course and flyover views.  Keeps your score too. All in all a nice package.

Edited by cristphoto, 11 September 2017 - 03:42 PM.


2

#3 Rickochet

Rickochet

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 19313
  • Joined: 09/12/2006
  • Location:Kentucky
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:21 AM

View PostBY#99, on 11 September 2017 - 07:52 AM, said:

So I use a handheld GPS which I love. However, I like the convenience of having a watch. I feel like on a course I am familiar with the watch will do fine. I like the handheld because it has a course layout and some other good features which is useful for unfamiliar courses.

I am looking to spend $200 max so any suggestions?

FYI- I am not looking at the Garmin S20. I have purchased 2 of these from 2 different stores and neither worked. Had a friend purchase and his is hit or miss for recognizing course/holes. So something other than that model would be helpful. Thanks.

I have had five different GPS golf watches.  Yes, I am a gadget guy.  After my Bushnell Neo watch quit I bought a Precison Pro watch.  About half the size of most of the other watches and very light.  My fav to date.  Rockbottomgolf has them for $129 with free shipping.  Shop around.  I think I saw them somewhere for $99.  https://www.rockbottomgolf.com/electronics/gps-watches/precision-pro-gps-golf-band/

Edited by Rickochet, 11 September 2017 - 08:21 AM.


3

#4 BY#99

BY#99

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 449482
  • Joined: 12/21/2016
  • Location:USA
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 41

Posted 11 September 2017 - 10:59 AM

Thanks - I will check out.

View PostRickochet, on 11 September 2017 - 08:21 AM, said:

View PostBY#99, on 11 September 2017 - 07:52 AM, said:

So I use a handheld GPS which I love. However, I like the convenience of having a watch. I feel like on a course I am familiar with the watch will do fine. I like the handheld because it has a course layout and some other good features which is useful for unfamiliar courses.

I am looking to spend $200 max so any suggestions?

FYI- I am not looking at the Garmin S20. I have purchased 2 of these from 2 different stores and neither worked. Had a friend purchase and his is hit or miss for recognizing course/holes. So something other than that model would be helpful. Thanks.

I have had five different GPS golf watches.  Yes, I am a gadget guy.  After my Bushnell Neo watch quit I bought a Precison Pro watch.  About half the size of most of the other watches and very light.  My fav to date.  Rockbottomgolf has them for $129 with free shipping.  Shop around.  I think I saw them somewhere for $99.  https://www.rockbottomgolf.com/electronics/gps-watches/precision-pro-gps-golf-band/


4

#5 Rickochet

Rickochet

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 19313
  • Joined: 09/12/2006
  • Location:Kentucky
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 11 September 2017 - 12:39 PM

http://www.ebay.com/...n=ps&dispItem=1

Also Amazon Prime, $99 free shipping.  https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Pro-Gps-Golf-Band/dp/B01FSZN8R8


5

#6 wkndhack

wkndhack

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 425792
  • Joined: 05/19/2016
  • Location:New England
GolfWRX Likes : 347

Posted 11 September 2017 - 02:53 PM

I have a TomTom Golfer that I got on Amazon for $120. They have the newer model up there now for around the same price depending on color.

It's been a great watch, has better features than comparably priced Garmins.
Cobra King F8+ Oban Isawa Red 66-04
Cobra King F7 3W Oban Isawa Red 75-04
Cobra King F6 Baffler Aldila Tour Blue 85S
Cobra King F8 4H Aldila Rogue Silver 75S
Cobra Forged Tec 5-GW DG S300AMT
Cobra King 54V, 58V
Bettinardi QB8
Srixon Q-Star Tour

6

#7 skmcclure

skmcclure

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 264860
  • Joined: 07/18/2013
  • Location:Mableton, GA, USA
  • Handicap:14.0
  • Ebay ID:s_k_mcclure
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:20 PM

I've enjoyed the use of my GolfBuddy WT5.  I bought it used for $90, I think, but recently the main button has quit functioning.  I'm pretty sure I saw them under the $100 mark, new, recently but I don't remember where.

7

#8 a_gorilla

a_gorilla

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 342527
  • Joined: 09/30/2014
  • Location:Orange County, CA
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 85

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:45 PM

+1 on the Golf Buddy WT5. Very satisfied with it, used it for a couple years. I decided to try using a rangefinder and ended up getting one from Golf Buddy because of price and great customer service experiences.
D: TM '16 M2 9.5* - AD-DI 6x
3W: Callaway Epic SZ 13.5* - Fujikura Pro 72x

5W: Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5* - Matrix Red Tie 65Q4x / 3i: 716 T-MB - Tour AD Utility 95x
4-PW: Srixon z765 4-PW - AMT S400
50/54/58: Cleveland RTX 3 V-MG
Odyssey O-Works 1W

'18 Chrome Soft

8

#9 Hackdad

Hackdad

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 466962
  • Joined: 05/09/2017
  • Location:Indiana
  • Handicap:24
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 16 September 2017 - 01:16 AM

Rockbottom has the WT5 for $99 . Lookin at grabbin one myself

9

#10 Wedge

Wedge

    Wedge

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35957
  • Joined: 07/30/2007
  • Location:Greenville, NC
  • Ebay ID:BornBredBlue
GolfWRX Likes : 111

Posted 27 October 2017 - 05:33 AM

I've had a Bushnell Neo-X for about 4-5 years, never had one issue. Great battery life, handles rain, would buy another one in a New York minute.

Driver: Ping G30 10.5* w/Axivcore Black 5.5 Shaft
3W: Adams Tight Lies 2 TI 15* w/Axivcore Black 5.5 Shaft
Hybrids: Callaway x2Hot 19*; x2Hot 22*; x2Hot 25*
Irons: Adams XTD Forged 6i-9i; KBS C-Taper
Wedges:Adams MB2 PW; Vokey SM6 50/08* "F" Grind;
Vokey SM6 54/08* "M" & 58/08* "M"
Putter: Odyssey O-Works 1W 34" w/FlatCat Solution Putter Grip
NEO-X GPS Watch; Tour Trek 2.0 Push Cart
Ball: Srixon Q-Star Tour

"I'm glad to say I've come around, but if I could have one wish....
I'd like another try at 25....or was it 26."

Charlie Daniels

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 Blue Daddy Lion

Blue Daddy Lion

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 395144
  • Joined: 09/08/2015
  • Location:Philippines
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 29 October 2017 - 05:19 AM

View Postcristphoto, on 11 September 2017 - 08:00 AM, said:

I recently bought a Bushnell Excel watch for $200 at Golf Galaxy. It seems accurate, has long battery life (3 rounds), and has some neat features. Comes with a swing speed monitor and a pedometer. Both link to an app that you get when you register the phone. The app also has visuals of the course and flyover views.  Keeps your score too. All in all a nice package.
I understand that you can only view the course layout thru your mobile phone.  Do you need internet connection or can this be done via bluetooth connection?

Edited by Blue Daddy Lion, 29 October 2017 - 05:19 AM.

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion Driver 10.5
Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 3 wood
Callaway Steelhead XR 4 hybrid
Callaway Steelhead XR irons (5-PW)
Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Slate wedges (54 bent to 50, 56, 60)
Odyssey White Hot RX 2-Ball V-Line putter
Callaway Glaze 17 JM Cart Bag

11

#12 ronnbee

ronnbee

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138003
  • Joined: 08/29/2011
  • Location:Oakmont pa
GolfWRX Likes : 161

Posted 29 October 2017 - 07:42 AM

bUSHNELL NEO THE BEST

12

#13 cristphoto

cristphoto

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,023 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42981
  • Joined: 11/30/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 609

Posted 29 October 2017 - 09:38 AM

View PostBlue Daddy Lion, on 29 October 2017 - 05:19 AM, said:

View Postcristphoto, on 11 September 2017 - 08:00 AM, said:

I recently bought a Bushnell Excel watch for $200 at Golf Galaxy. It seems accurate, has long battery life (3 rounds), and has some neat features. Comes with a swing speed monitor and a pedometer. Both link to an app that you get when you register the phone. The app also has visuals of the course and flyover views.  Keeps your score too. All in all a nice package.
I understand that you can only view the course layout thru your mobile phone.  Do you need internet connection or can this be done via bluetooth connection?

The watch doesn’t show the course just the phone. Only yardage’s and text for hazards and a few other minor things show on the watch. Text messages received on your phone will show on the watch if you turn that option on.  The phone will keep your scores, swing speeds, and all other data. I previously had a Bushnell Neo watch and it was impossible to update a single course’s data. With the Excel it takes about 15 seconds -super easy.

Edited by cristphoto, 29 October 2017 - 09:44 AM.


13

#14 GTA SOL

GTA SOL

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54018
  • Joined: 04/18/2008
  • Location:Newcastle, England
  • Handicap:10.6
GolfWRX Likes : 80

Posted 19 November 2017 - 04:10 AM

I have a Golf Buddy WT5 and I would NOT recommend.  It may just be my course but I don't find it accurate when compared to my rangefinder and that's AFTER Golf Buddy said they remapped the course after I had complained about green distanced being out.  The battery will NOT last 2 rounds - packs in after about 27 holes. The user interface is very clunky.

All in all a very poor watch IMHO.
Ping G400 Max 10.5 degree (Ping Tour 65 R)
Titleist 913 FD 15 degree (Diamana S+ stiff)
Mizuno JPX EZ 19 & 22 degree Hybrid (Stock stiff)
Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 5-PW (NSPro1150 S)
Cleveland 588 RTX - 50, 55, 60 (DG S400)
Custom Lajosi JJ501

14

#15 drnls1

drnls1

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56667
  • Joined: 05/27/2008
  • Ebay ID:drnls1
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:15 AM

Garmin S20


15



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors