Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Does this count as a hole-in-one?

35 replies to this topic

#31 Tcann32

Tcann32

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,127 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 343581
  • Handicap:5
  • Ebay ID:tcannon32
GolfWRX Likes : 1917

Posted 11 September 2017 - 01:18 PM

View PostUnder2hours, on 11 September 2017 - 11:29 AM, said:

View PostRRFireblade, on 11 September 2017 - 08:06 AM, said:

View PostUnder2hours, on 11 September 2017 - 07:50 AM, said:

Again congrats to the OP (and from the blacks).  This one was a fine line, however was the second shot you took on the hole (though a different tee).  Razor thin line regardless in my opinion.

What bothers me to no end is the how a great shot is just scoffed at if one does anything in a round that would negate it.

Example....  Playing golf at the club and it is crowded with a few slow groups, so I started to zigzag the course to find an opening, played a few holes and then returned to my original position to and resumed the round (late in the day so no one behind me).  Playing alone so on some holes would hit an extra ball.  On #10 , which was one of the holes I played earlier I got a hole in one (no need to hit an extra shot)!!!!!  It is a hole I use the same club every time and nothing is different any rounds I play as I swing, hit and pray.  No one saw me, but I would never lie about anything as sacred as a HIO.  Walked in the clubhouse and announced it and was told it did not count. I asked if it was a hole I did not play prior was it a HIO and told no also as I was alone and not playing a round as had used multiple balls prior.

I can understand your frustration with the concept. I guess one just has to understand and accept the rules and spirit of the game. Most everyone can hit a great shot, given enough attempts, number one...and number 2, pressure and stress are probably the number one cause for failure and performance issues in the game by a long shot.

When one goes out hitting multiple balls, playing random holes and some of them multiple times, you simply remove most of the things the majority of people struggle with in this game. No pressure, no stress, no consequences...therefore no trophies.

How many 3' putts for par or bogey do you think I miss? How many do you think I miss for birdie or eagle? How about when I have 10 grand on the line and a miss sends me home broke?

The game is about one swing, one stroke. If you want the credit for the many milestones in the game, play it by the rules and earn the credit. Simple as that.

IMO  :)

Again you miss the point.  I can hit as many shots as I want, and if i get up to the hole and put it int he hole on my first swing I have attained and made a HIO.

Now let's pretend another scenario.  I am playing in a charity golf tournament and arrive very early and decide to go play 9 prior with the blessing of the club.

Now there is a car for a HIO and lo and behold I make a HIO.  Do I win the car (even though I have already played the hole that day prior to the tournament and let's pretend hit 2-3 balls into the green)?

Damn right I do!!!!!  Same for the club member who has played the hole a 1000X's before and happens to be signed up and now got another one.

A HIO is HIO is a HIO......

If you're playing two balls, and the first goes in the water, is the second one you hit supposed to be your third stroke for the first ball, or you first stroke for your second ball? I bet you'd chose the latter if you holed out. Fortunately for anyone justifying a hole in one when playing two balls, there's not really rules behind playing two balls, because it's not an official round, and none of your scores would really be official.

I'd be frustrated had it happened to me. I prefer to play by the rules to the best of my knowledge and ability as much as I can so I can honestly post a good round, or if by chance it happened, a really rare and great shot.

The practice round thing doesn't really apply.. It'd be an ace if you played the same course twice in a day, sure, unless there's a rule about that? But I'm guessing there's not, since tournaments do it under certain circumstances plenty.

I personally think it's hard to argue.. I mean, the argument is stronger if it's your first shot, sure, but I don't see how it'd be justified on your second shot, or tee shot in the scenario of a par 3, as you literally would've had a practice shot already (which I understand hardly increases your odds of making an ace), but since the argument for the latter is much stronger, by default, it carries over to the first scenario, and it just doesn't count when you're playing more than one ball, and neither does your score. If your score for an entire round doesn't count for anything, how does your score on one of the holes count for anything?

What's actually in the bag...
Callaway Epic SZ-9.0-Aldila X-Torsion Green Mamba-70TX
Callaway Epic SZ 15* - PX Handcrafted Yellow 75 6.5
Callaway Apex UT 21* - C- taper S+
Miura LH LTD Black Blades: 3-p w/ DG TI X7's.
Cleveland RTX 3: 50-54 w. C-Taper S+
Scratch 1018: 58 w/ C-Taper S+
Piretti Potenza / Odyssey MX #7

Others gamed on occasion:
Callaway BBA (2014)
Callaway 13 X Forged w/ AMT X100's (hard stepped once)
Scratch Golf 51,55,58,59
Wilson Staff Kirk Currie Milled

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 Under2hours

Under2hours

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 383344
  • Handicap:13.2
GolfWRX Likes : 224

Posted 11 September 2017 - 01:54 PM

If you're playing two balls, and the first goes in the water, is the second one you hit supposed to be your third stroke for the first ball, or you first stroke for your second ball? I bet you'd chose the latter if you holed out. Fortunately for anyone justifying a hole in one when playing two balls, there's not really rules behind playing two balls, because it's not an official round, and none of your scores would really be official.

I'd be frustrated had it happened to me. I prefer to play by the rules to the best of my knowledge and ability as much as I can so I can honestly post a good round, or if by chance it happened, a really rare and great shot.

The practice round thing doesn't really apply.. It'd be an ace if you played the same course twice in a day, sure, unless there's a rule about that? But I'm guessing there's not, since tournaments do it under certain circumstances plenty.

I personally think it's hard to argue.. I mean, the argument is stronger if it's your first shot, sure, but I don't see how it'd be justified on your second shot, or tee shot in the scenario of a par 3, as you literally would've had a practice shot already (which I understand hardly increases your odds of making an ace), but since the argument for the latter is much stronger, by default, it carries over to the first scenario, and it just doesn't count when you're playing more than one ball, and neither does your score. If your score for an entire round doesn't count for anything, how does your score on one of the holes count for anything?

Not sure the point or if you answered the question.  I told the OP it was not a HIO as it was not his first shot playing that hole as he played holes that round (similar to me putting it in the water).

Now if he had played multiple balls on I don't care how many holes and walked up to this tee box and got a HIO on his first ball, it is a HIO.

I was only using an example.

Here is a situation I had.  Junior were teeing off so I decided to run down 18 and played 17 (par 3) & 18 while I waited as could see they were empty).  Proceeded to then follow the Juniors.  They were slow as mollasses and again then whil waiting went to #15 (another par 3 and hit a few tee shots) and played the holes.  Finally they were gone after 9.  

Now if I got a HIO when I played 15 or 17 while waiting on the juniors or when I actually got around to it it is in my opinion a HIO as long as the first hit whenever I play the hole.

#33 RRFireblade

RRFireblade

AKA Jay.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,743 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23410
  • Handicap:+6.2
  • Ebay ID:RRFireblade
GolfWRX Likes : 2671

Posted 11 September 2017 - 02:20 PM

View PostUnder2hours, on 11 September 2017 - 11:29 AM, said:

View PostRRFireblade, on 11 September 2017 - 08:06 AM, said:

View PostUnder2hours, on 11 September 2017 - 07:50 AM, said:

Again congrats to the OP (and from the blacks).  This one was a fine line, however was the second shot you took on the hole (though a different tee).  Razor thin line regardless in my opinion.

What bothers me to no end is the how a great shot is just scoffed at if one does anything in a round that would negate it.

Example....  Playing golf at the club and it is crowded with a few slow groups, so I started to zigzag the course to find an opening, played a few holes and then returned to my original position to and resumed the round (late in the day so no one behind me).  Playing alone so on some holes would hit an extra ball.  On #10 , which was one of the holes I played earlier I got a hole in one (no need to hit an extra shot)!!!!!  It is a hole I use the same club every time and nothing is different any rounds I play as I swing, hit and pray.  No one saw me, but I would never lie about anything as sacred as a HIO.  Walked in the clubhouse and announced it and was told it did not count. I asked if it was a hole I did not play prior was it a HIO and told no also as I was alone and not playing a round as had used multiple balls prior.

I can understand your frustration with the concept. I guess one just has to understand and accept the rules and spirit of the game. Most everyone can hit a great shot, given enough attempts, number one...and number 2, pressure and stress are probably the number one cause for failure and performance issues in the game by a long shot.

When one goes out hitting multiple balls, playing random holes and some of them multiple times, you simply remove most of the things the majority of people struggle with in this game. No pressure, no stress, no consequences...therefore no trophies.

How many 3' putts for par or bogey do you think I miss? How many do you think I miss for birdie or eagle? How about when I have 10 grand on the line and a miss sends me home broke?

The game is about one swing, one stroke. If you want the credit for the many milestones in the game, play it by the rules and earn the credit. Simple as that.

IMO  :)

Again you miss the point.  I can hit as many shots as I want, and if i get up to the hole and put it int he hole on my first swing I have attained and made a HIO.

Now let's pretend another scenario.  I am playing in a charity golf tournament and arrive very early and decide to go play 9 prior with the blessing of the club.

Now there is a car for a HIO and lo and behold I make a HIO.  Do I win the car (even though I have already played the hole that day prior to the tournament and let's pretend hit 2-3 balls into the green)?

Damn right I do!!!!!  Same for the club member who has played the hole a 1000X's before and happens to be signed up and now got another one.

A HIO is HIO is a HIO......

I missed no point. You either played by the rules or didn't.

You didn't. No point to be made other than that.

Charity tourny scores don't count either. And you can buy as many shots at the free car as you want. Again, not in the rules of golf. So no you can't record the score for the day or the round even if you paid for a dozen shots and holed each and every one. ;)

BUT....

"You" can do whatever you want, claim whatever you want, tell people whatever makes you happy. In the end, you are the only one you have to convince. Everyday someone claims a round that didn't follow the rules, hit a second shot as practice or did a dozen other things that the rules forbid. I'm sure they sleep just fine as I'm sure you will too. :)

Have a good one.
XRP 8.5* XS
XRP #3 XS
Cally Apex MB 3i-9i PX 7.0
Cally MD3 52*/56*/60*
Scotty Studio Select Custom

#34 Under2hours

Under2hours

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:36 AM

You can't buy shots for a car on a HIO in any scramble tournament I've played.  You get one shot when you get to the hole.  

The point I was making is that someone who is a member of the course or played it multiple times has the advantage of knowing the hole and what to do, and I have already in my scenario played it earlier.  

Still hit the ball and it goes in and the car is in no questions asked and it is a HIO.

#35 atteberry23

atteberry23

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 474820
  • Handicap:3
  • Ebay ID:attebeerry
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:34 AM

Funny story.  I went out late last fall and played 3 balls (I went after work and only played 5 holes).  I hit a "hole in one" on 17 my first ever.  I was super bummed b.c I knew it wasn't a legit hole in one. That was on a Thursday.  Everyone was giving me grief about it, teasing me.  I went out Saturday and hit a legit one, so the first one really didn't matter!

Hopefully you get another one!

#36 Under2hours

Under2hours

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 02:24 PM

View Postatteberry23, on 12 September 2017 - 09:34 AM, said:

Funny story.  I went out late last fall and played 3 balls (I went after work and only played 5 holes).  I hit a "hole in one" on 17 my first ever.  I was super bummed b.c I knew it wasn't a legit hole in one. That was on a Thursday.  Everyone was giving me grief about it, teasing me.  I went out Saturday and hit a legit one, so the first one really didn't matter!

Hopefully you get another one!
If with the first ball on the hole it was a HIO.  

Wow two in a week......Well done......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors