Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

Looking inches in front of ball

57 replies to this topic

#1 horsegoer

horsegoer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115024
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 09 September 2017 - 05:41 PM

When taking my shot if I look about 3-4" in front of the ball upon impact I seem to take a very nice divot and shot.  It doesn't seem correct that I should be looking this far in front of the ball in order take a nice shot? Is this correct? Thanks a lot.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Moonlightgrm

Moonlightgrm

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97901
GolfWRX Likes : 153

Posted 09 September 2017 - 05:46 PM

Bobby Clampett will tell you that the bottom of the swing arc should be about 4-inches in front of the golf ball. Perhaps you are onto something :-)

#3 horsegoer

horsegoer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2017 - 05:46 PM

Sorry all I see I posted this issue already...thanks.

http://www.golfwrx.c...-front-of-ball/

#4 horsegoer

horsegoer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2017 - 05:47 PM

View PostMoonlightgrm, on 09 September 2017 - 05:46 PM, said:

Bobby Clampett will tell you that the bottom of the swing arc should be about 4-inches in front of the golf ball. Perhaps you are onto something :-)

Yes but isn't it a Band-Aid to achieve this by looking a few inches in front of the ball. I assume the pros look directly at the ball. So maybe my swing is jacked up.

#5 Santiago Golf

Santiago Golf

I Strive to make you Better

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,651 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151005
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 1345

Posted 09 September 2017 - 06:41 PM

I lose sight of the ball at p2, i don't think it really matter where you are looking

Driver: PING i25 9.5*; Fujikura Fuel TS 60-Stiff
3 wood: Titleist 915Fd 13.5; Aldila Rouge Black 80-X
Hybrid: Adams IDEA Super XTD 17*; UST Mamiya ProForce VTS 100HX
Irons: Titleist 716 AP2 4-6, CB 7-9: KBS Tour C-Taper X (loft: 22, 26, 30, 35, 40, 45)
Wedges: Scratch 1018 49*, 53*, 57*; KBS Tour C-Taper S+ (49), S300 (53, 57)
Maltby Custom Grind 59*; True Temper Tour 100-Stiff (Combination of Miura K (except 5 knuckles) and PM Grind)
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design MB5; Super Stroke GP Tour (I have backups)
Ball: ProV1x
Grip: Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Red (3 wraps bottom, 3 wraps middle, 2 wrap over that)
Bag: Jones Original

#6 northgolf

northgolf

Pork

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,753 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79459
GolfWRX Likes : 1053

Posted 09 September 2017 - 06:52 PM

Once you address the ball, where you look doesn't mean squat: all possible impact geometries are defined.
No matter where you go, there you are.

#7 bph7

bph7

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135739
GolfWRX Likes : 2649

Posted 09 September 2017 - 07:39 PM

If it's working, stick with it. Just make sure you aren't getting too steep.

#8 Ghost of Snead

Ghost of Snead

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,401 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 257314
GolfWRX Likes : 1363

Posted 09 September 2017 - 07:41 PM

I'd be careful about staring a few inches in front of the ball. Might get ya "ground-bound" ...

#9 dap

dap

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,155 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35223
GolfWRX Likes : 314

Posted 09 September 2017 - 09:56 PM

I posted this Bobby Clampett video in another thread but it's probably more appropriate here. He says average players might need to start looking at a spot in front of the ball but once mastered they can look at the ball but still be aware of that spot.

#10 Macogardy

Macogardy

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 432882
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 134

Posted 10 September 2017 - 12:23 AM

Great video thanks for the link

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 jedc

jedc

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 143653
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 10 September 2017 - 10:16 AM

My buddy is an assistant pro and he gave me this tip as well. It made for a quick improvement during my next round and seemed to help with other swing issues I was having.

Edited by jedc, 10 September 2017 - 10:16 AM.

Callaway XHP 9.5*
Adams BTY 4w
Adams RPM LP 7w
Adams a7 22*
Adams Pro A12 5-Pw, Lw
Adams Pug Black 54*
Cleveland HB#3

#12 PowderedToastMan

PowderedToastMan

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,640 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 141617
GolfWRX Likes : 2466

Posted 10 September 2017 - 11:23 AM

Bobby Clampett's "The Impact Zone" saved me at a time when I was obsessed with swing positions. A crisp, solid impact feels a heck of a lot better than hitting imaginary swing positions (not really imaginary, but I think you understand what I'm saying).

Picking a spot along your target line some 4 inches in front of the ball is most definitely a drill from The Impact Zone. Just make sure your head isn't moving towards the target before impact. Another feel that helped me (and still does) is that my lead hand is in line with my lead leg when the club head reaches impact.
Professional golfer. Amateur human being.

In the bag:

A bunch of PING and a crapload of juice

#13 Strike Force

Strike Force

Compress Deform Flatten Pinch Smash Squeeze SIZZLE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 299780
  • Handicap:+
GolfWRX Likes : 543

Posted 11 September 2017 - 10:36 AM

Harvey Penick: I've known only three or four top players who say they actually see the ball when they hit it. Even Ben Hogan told me he loses sight of the ball "somewhere in my downswing."

Reference: http://catdir.loc.go...97028126-s.html

► Interesting 'Hit Impulse thread'

Edited by Strike Force, 12 September 2017 - 06:27 PM.

Driver - Ping G30 9° w/ Tour 80-S
Woods - Adams Redline RPM 3W & 5W w/ Fujikura 75-X
Hybrid - Cleveland HALO 15° w/ IROD-X (Ø)
Irons - Titleist 716 AP2 #3 - PW w/ DG-X100 (#3 Ø)
Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM5 48.08M (Ø), 52.10M & TaylorMade Tour Preferred EF 58.10
Putter - Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II Face-Balanced w/ Original Stronomic Black Insert
Golf Ball - Titleist Pro V1
(Ø) = Clubs that are apt to be removed to make-up 14 total clubs

#14 finleysg

finleysg

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 417906
  • Handicap:3.0
GolfWRX Likes : 481

Posted 11 September 2017 - 10:18 PM

Besides improving low-point control, looking in front of the ball can help you to tame the hit impulse and/or lessen the anxiety that the ball creates. If it works, keep doing it.

I practice looking 3-4 inches in front all the time. I also practice focusing on nothing. Eyes are on the ball, but I'm not looking at the ball. The focus in inward, on what the swing feels like.
D: Callaway XR Pro - Ozik Red Tie
3W: Exotics E8 Beta - Aldila Rogue 110
3H: Titleist 915Hd - Diamana 80g
Wrenches: Ping S55 - P thru 4 - Project X Rifle 6.0
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 - 50, 56 (F), 60 (M)
Putter: OWorks 2-ball

Brand Loyalty: None

#15 Strike Force

Strike Force

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:06 PM

View Postjedc, on 10 September 2017 - 10:16 AM, said:

My buddy is an assistant pro and he gave me this tip as well. It made for a quick improvement during my next round and seemed to help with other swing issues I was having.

View PostPowderedToastMan, on 10 September 2017 - 11:23 AM, said:

Bobby Clampett's "The Impact Zone" saved me at a time when I was obsessed with swing positions. A crisp, solid impact feels a heck of a lot better than hitting imaginary swing positions (not really imaginary, but I think you understand what I'm saying).

Picking a spot along your target line some 4 inches in front of the ball is most definitely a drill from The Impact Zone. Just make sure your head isn't moving towards the target before impact. Another feel that helped me (and still does) is that my lead hand is in line with my lead leg when the club head reaches impact.

View Postfinleysg, on 11 September 2017 - 10:18 PM, said:

Besides improving low-point control, looking in front of the ball can help you to tame the hit impulse and/or lessen the anxiety that the ball creates. If it works, keep doing it.

I practice looking 3-4 inches in front all the time. I also practice focusing on nothing. Eyes are on the ball, but I'm not looking at the ball. The focus in inward, on what the swing feels like.

Excellent feedback...

Conceivably the best way for handicap golfers to improve ... not only to improve their golf swing, but also to improve their scoring too...  

Learn to:
Ignore the golf ball
Visualize the target
Blank Stare/Gaze/Daze in the direction of the ball, but looking at nothing

Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM5 48.08M (Ø), 52.10M & TaylorMade Tour Preferred EF 58.10
Putter - Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II Face-Balanced w/ Original Stronomic Black Insert

#16 NoTalentLefty

NoTalentLefty

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,502 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 204451
GolfWRX Likes : 1046

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:17 PM

View PostStrike Force, on 12 September 2017 - 07:06 PM, said:

View Postjedc, on 10 September 2017 - 10:16 AM, said:

View PostPowderedToastMan, on 10 September 2017 - 11:23 AM, said:

View Postfinleysg, on 11 September 2017 - 10:18 PM, said:

Excellent feedback...

Conceivably the best way for handicap golfers to improve ... not only to improve their golf swing, but also to improve their scoring too...  

Learn to:
Ignore the golf ball
Visualize the target
Blank Stare/Gaze/Daze in the direction of the ball, but looking at nothing

So what Ty Webb told Danny Noonan was the greatest golf lesson ever given?

Be the ball Danny!

Edited by NoTalentLefty, 12 September 2017 - 07:20 PM.

Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

#17 dap

dap

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,155 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35223
GolfWRX Likes : 314

Posted 12 September 2017 - 11:19 PM

I think the aiming point method benefits players with better swings a bit more, the type of players who seem to have good technique but struggle to hit the ball consistently solid. If your swing is still seriously flawed it's not going to address those flaws.

In my opinion the transition and the start of the downswing is the most difficult part to get right. Ben Hogan said you need to do the opposite of what your natural instincts tell you to do and you will have the perfect swing. I believe he was talking about the transition. Natural instinct tells us to stand up and early extend to create power. The opposite of what happens in great swings. I don't think addressing the ball bound issue will fix this.

#18 DDG61

DDG61

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 480246
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 12 September 2017 - 11:37 PM

Timely topic, yesterday at the range I was all over the place.  

Since I started this a few weeks ago with putting I thought what the hell. Next ten 4 irons were perfect center strikes.

Convinced me I have "impact anxiety"..

#19 xkilgorextroutx

xkilgorextroutx

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 466834
  • Handicap:19.5
GolfWRX Likes : 47

Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:10 AM

I was given this tip in lessons a few years ago and I use it often, especially when I start striking my irons poorly. I line up to the ball and take my stance, then just shift my eyes to a spot around 2" in front of the ball. My pro had me keeping my eyes there until I saw either a divot or the brush of the grass, then turning my head to track the ball from there. Made a difference almost immediately.

#20 MrWolf

MrWolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,817 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41616
  • Handicap:Golf
GolfWRX Likes : 5884

Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:53 AM

View Postdap, on 12 September 2017 - 11:19 PM, said:

I think the aiming point method benefits players with better swings a bit more, the type of players who seem to have good technique but struggle to hit the ball consistently solid. If your swing is still seriously flawed it's not going to address those flaws.

In my opinion the transition and the start of the downswing is the most difficult part to get right. Ben Hogan said you need to do the opposite of what your natural instincts tell you to do and you will have the perfect swing. I believe he was talking about the transition. Natural instinct tells us to stand up and early extend to create power. The opposite of what happens in great swings. I don't think addressing the ball bound issue will fix this.

Great point. Really agree with this, especially as someone who struggled with EE for most of my golfing life.

///OGA Member #13 - 'The Man from Blighty'///

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 skujan57

skujan57

Steve

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 218785
  • Handicap:7.3
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:03 AM

Great thread. Visualizing the release after the ball works for me. Getting that pitching wedge way up in the air!
Callaway X2 Hot driver
Ping G400 irons
Titleist Vokey SM6 sand wedge
Odyssey White Hot RX 7 putter

#22 Strike Force

Strike Force

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:02 AM

What you don't want to do is what practically all mid to high handicap golfers do, which is to look at the ball as the target.  There is a wonderful difference between doing what high handicap golfers do of looking at the ball as their target - and what low handicap, scratch and plus golfers do of looking in the direction of the ball but picturing in their mind's eye (visualizing) their actual target where they want the ball to go.  Allow yourself to briefly daydream while swinging to become a believer.  Soon you'll start noticing that your awareness of the ball when making a swing is nothing more than a fuzzy blur of nothingness - much like it is when reading text on a page and your mind wanders into a bit of daydreaming; thinking about something other than the text you [were] reading.   

Casting, swinging over-the-top and flipping are all the result of making the golf ball the target.  A handicap golfer's flawed golf swing can change drastically for the better in just one swing when you don't make the ball the target ... because the ball should never be the golfer's target.  Change your target intention to drastically (and naturally) change your golf swing...

Edited by Strike Force, 13 September 2017 - 02:04 PM.

#23 deathbymuffin

deathbymuffin

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 181018
GolfWRX Likes : 139

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:26 AM

View PostStrike Force, on 13 September 2017 - 10:02 AM, said:

What you don't want to do is what practically all mid to high handicap golfers do, which is to look at the ball as the target.  There is a wonderful difference between doing what high handicap golfers do of looking at the ball as their target - and what low handicap, scratch and plus golfers do of looking in the direction of the ball but picturing in their mind's eye (visualizing) their actual target where they want the ball to go.  Allow yourself to briefly daydream while swinging to become a believer.  Soon you'll start noticing that your awareness of the ball when making a swing is nothing more than a fuzzy blur of nothingness - much like it is when reading text on a page when your mind moves to daydreaming, thinking about something other than the text you [were] reading.   

Casting, swinging over-the-top and flipping are all the result of making the golf ball the target.  A handicap golfer's flawed golf swing can change drastically for the better in just one swing when you don't make the ball the target ... because the ball should never be the golfer's target.  Change your target intention to drastically (and naturally) change your golf swing...

Which is exactly why you so often see guys who seem to have nice smooth, mechanically sound, practice swings, step up to the ball and make a hideous stab at it.

#24 Strike Force

Strike Force

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:21 PM

View Postdeathbymuffin, on 13 September 2017 - 11:26 AM, said:

View PostStrike Force, on 13 September 2017 - 10:02 AM, said:

What you don't want to do is what practically all mid to high handicap golfers do, which is to look at the ball as the target.  There is a wonderful difference between doing what high handicap golfers do of looking at the ball as their target - and what low handicap, scratch and plus golfers do of looking in the direction of the ball but picturing in their mind's eye (visualizing) their actual target where they want the ball to go.  Allow yourself to briefly daydream while swinging to become a believer.  Soon you'll start noticing that your awareness of the ball when making a swing is nothing more than a fuzzy blur of nothingness - much like it is when reading text on a page when your mind moves to daydreaming, thinking about something other than the text you [were] reading.   

Which is exactly why you so often see guys who seem to have nice smooth, mechanically sound, practice swings, step up to the ball and make a hideous stab at it.

Exactly!  Most amateur golfers are concerned with body positions in their golf swing - they think that [somehow] being able to put various body parts in certain positions and alignments is the 'fix' to having a good golf swing.  Of course most golf teachers/instructors are usually all-too-willing to satisfy and pacify their students with this teaching custom.  How often do we hear of teachers giving instructions about elbow positions, spine tilt, forearm roll, wrist angles, shoulder angles, knee flex, hip turn depth and so on, and so forth?  Is there any wonder why golfers usually seldom improve, and are rarely satisfied with this type of teaching or the success they have from taking lessons?

I believe the golfer should swing their golf club to their target, which is not the golf ball between their feet, laying on the ground.  If the golfer is swinging at his golf ball as his target, then he is swinging 90° off target!  Think 'bout that!  If you were to literally throw (fully release from the hands) the golf club in order to hit the golf ball on the ground between your feet versus to have the club fly toward your actual downrange target, you would be off by 90°, which is not just a few degrees off but a quarter of a 360° circle!!!  Changing one's intention by that much can will make a huge difference in how the body naturally positions itself in terms of alignments and timing.  

Is there any wonder why most amateur golfers feel the need to uncock their wrist early, cast the club and flip the clubhead?  It's because the golf ball is their target.  Put that target 2' - 3' further in the swing arc and the golfer [then] naturally sustains his wrist c0ck and doesn't cast the club or flip the clubhead.  Suddenly the golfer swings through the ball (rather than at the ball) and his lead hand is surprisingly even with the left thigh at impact and there is good shaft lean and ball compression...with no conscious thought of trying to put his body in various positions.  Things start falling into place quite nicely...quickly!

No tour professional has his golf ball as his target.  If he did he would be hitting 'at' his golf ball...and he would not be a tour player, but instead he would be a mid to high handicap golfer and doing something else to make a living.

Edited by Strike Force, 13 September 2017 - 08:10 PM.

#25 ferrispgm

ferrispgm

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 925
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 218

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:27 PM

The problem i have with this is my body wanting to move forward when doing this in the past...it works for a day then the next day my head starts sliding forward and hello thin shots and shanks.

Driver: Callaway Epic 9* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD M9003
FWY:  Taylormade Rocketballz Tp 14.5*
Hybrid:  Adams Idea Pro 18*
Irons: Srixon Z765 3-5 iron, z965 6-PW, Project X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: Cleveland CG14 1 dot
Putter: Taylormade Daytona Rossa with agsi.

#26 BigBad

BigBad

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32406
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:25 PM

My ball striking changed forever when I swung the arc and stopped trying to hit the ball.  The ball as the target, and more specifically the target I wanted to "hit down" on, caused me to lunge to the actual target, get steep, and hump the goat.  To stop this I actually started trying to hit the ground about a foot BEHIND the ball in order to swing on the arc.  Amazingly your mind doesn't want you to stick the club in the ground a foot behind he ball so your body rotation syncs up.

Edited by BigBad, 13 September 2017 - 01:26 PM.

#27 Strike Force

Strike Force

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2017 - 04:16 PM

Shawn Clement: "If your focus stays on the target (instead of the ball) it's going to settle at least 95% of the issues in your swing."

In other words, if you make the golf ball your target, your golf swing will have all sorts of swing issues - swing issues that simply cannot be eliminated until you learn to focus on the target when swinging instead of making your target the golf ball.

How would you like to eliminate 95% of your swing issues?  It's just that simple!

Edited by Strike Force, 17 September 2017 - 07:47 PM.

#28 bph7

bph7

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135739
GolfWRX Likes : 2649

Posted 17 September 2017 - 04:41 PM

View PostStrike Force, on 17 September 2017 - 04:16 PM, said:

Shawn Clement: "If your focus stays on the target (instead of the ball) it's going to settle at least 95% of the issues in your swing.

In other words, if you make the golf ball your target, your golf swing will have all sorts of swing issues - swing issues that simply cannot be eliminated until you learn to focus on the target when swinging instead of making your target the golf ball.

How would you like to eliminate 95% of your swing issues?  It's just that simple!

Does Shawn discuss the basis for this number?  I've heard other instructors say 83.5% for example. I just want to see his calculations.

#29 Jim Waldron

Jim Waldron

Balance Point Golf Schools

• Sponsors
  • 2,829 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 98978
GolfWRX Likes : 1403

Posted 17 September 2017 - 04:53 PM

View Postbph7, on 17 September 2017 - 04:41 PM, said:

Shawn Clement: "If your focus stays on the target (instead of the ball) it's going to settle at least 95% of the issues in your swing.

Does Shawn discuss the basis for this number?  I've heard other instructors say 83.5% for example. I just want to see his calculations.

Why the snarky attitude? He is basing the number - obviously - on his years of teaching the game.

In my experience, I would qualify that statement a bit, and say that shifting your primary intention from "clubhead to ball" to "ball to target" will eliminate, or at least reduce the intensity, of a large majority of swing issues IF you are a high handicap golfer.

#30 Ghost of Snead

Ghost of Snead

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,401 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 257314
GolfWRX Likes : 1363

Posted 17 September 2017 - 05:25 PM

Focus on the target all you want but if you don't have the mechanics to get the ball to the target, that focus is rendered useless.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors