Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Worst weather conditions you've ever played?

75 replies to this topic

#61 bobbydazzlewazzler

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Member #: 345271
  • Handicap:11
GolfWRX Likes : 207

Posted 29 December 2017 - 12:13 PM

Today i had St Enedoc practically to myself. 50 mph winds, rain, hail explained this.. The skies opened shortly after the my first tee shot and I was saturated with wet feet before i got to the first green (1st is a par 5 which i doubled... btw this was the first time my dry joy tours had leaked). Rain continued on and off from moderate to torrential plus hail all the way to the 5th where i sheltered for a bit then continued onwards. The 7th is arguably the most exposed hole on the course, the wind was preventing the ball from staying on the tee so had to re-tee it 3 or 4 times and i struggled standing up let alone addressing the ball. Eventually managed to get a half decent drive away into a 50 mph wind and started walking to my ball when the hail really came in, totally obscured my vision. I dived into the dunes to hide from the weather, then ventured out to go and hit my shot (a 3 wood 220 yards which eventually ended up going about 170), however i had to run back to the dunes and hide again as the conditions were so so bad, before returning to my ball for another go... Luckily this was the last of the heavy showers and i was just bullied by the fierce wind for the rest of the round.. Several footpaths dissect the course and i had various walkers ask me if i was mad.. I strangely enjoyed the experience as st enedoc is a truly special place to play although decided against another 18 this afternoon as my hands still feel a bit odd still having got so very very cold earlier..Posted ImagePosted Image

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

#62 SBH9458

Go Army! Beat Navy!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Member #: 337505
GolfWRX Likes : 124

Posted 29 December 2017 - 09:07 PM

Played in blowing snow with our oldest son when he was younger. I will never forget it....cold as can be, but surely was fun. Also, playing in ugly wind with our youngest. Punishing. As in could not come close to reaching a par 4 in 3, with three smoked shots. Again, will never forget it and the fun we had.

#63 brkuck

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Member #: 47240
GolfWRX Likes : 257

Posted 30 December 2017 - 08:30 AM

Played last February on the far south side of Chicago.  25* when we started and about 25 MPH winds.  Started snowing just after the 8th hole and didnt stop.  Miserable, but we do something similar every year.

#64 tmartin89

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Member #: 394608
  • Handicap:+0.4
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 06 January 2018 - 06:42 PM

Kingsbarns in Scotland. Rain coming in sideways, mist of the ocean with about 50 yards visabilty. Probably 35 degrees.
As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round.

#65 SilentBob37

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Member #: 429386
GolfWRX Likes : 82

Posted 09 January 2018 - 03:01 AM

Played on a freezing, drizzly, windy Christmas Day a few years ago. My approach into number one bounced up pretty high when it hit the green with a wedge.

Face and hands were numb a couple of holes in.

All of this was worth it to keep from having to spend the day with my new (at the time) and currently ex-father in laws family.

#66 whoathere

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 144 posts
  • Member #: 101650
  • Ebay ID:cwin34
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 17 January 2018 - 11:51 AM

2 rounds come to mind:

1) In college we played a tournament in Little Schute, WI.  It was late March and snowing on the way up there.  An arctic blast was coming through and we figured we wouldn't play, but just in case, we went.  Conveniently, our hotel was right next to a bar called the "5th Quarter", which had karaoke and trivia night.  Anyway, we closed it down.  Next morning, our coach is banging on the door to wake us up.  It was 16* with 15-20mph wind.  The high that day was 21*.  It was awful and I think I shot a 98 or something.  The best parts were nearly puking on the first tee, almost acing the first par 3, but missing a 2' birdie putt, and my team mate who went to the bar all night shot 71 and took first place overall.

2) This shouldn't count, but I'll talk about it anyway.  Here in Northern IL, "Chili Open" and "Turkey Shootout" play days are common.  They are all over the place in late October and early November.  Some buddies and I agreed to play in the Chili Open at a local semi-private club.  I want to say it was the last weekend in October in 2009 or 2010.  I've never been so cold in my life.  I wore pants and a polo with a windbreaker.  I ended up buying the last logo'd fleece they had in the pro shop.  No hat, no gloves other than my golf glove.  Winds were howling and it snowed for more than half of the round.  The carts didn't even have windshields.  The good news was that we won at -8, an awful score for a scramble at that track.  The next year we took third at -14 in much better conditions.

#67 Sean2

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 28,276 posts
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 15204

Posted 17 January 2018 - 11:52 AM

Snow, sleet in a very brisk wind. It started around the 12th hole. It was funny watching the ball pick up snow as it rolled to the hole after you hit a putt.
Callaway GBB Epic
Callaway GBB Epic 3/7/9
Callaway Steelhead XR 5
Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW
Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54/58
Callaway Odyssey Versa Tank #1

#68 TigerWoodsIV

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Member #: 8669
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 16 February 2018 - 02:08 PM

I was playing in a junior tournament in April 2005 I think, and it was like 39 degrees and pouring rain.  They eventually called play for the day, but that was horrific.

#69 Bbo569

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Member #: 392170
  • Handicap:8
  • Ebay ID:Uscbbo
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 16 February 2018 - 10:38 PM

15 degrees in S.C. a couple years ago. Doesn’t get any colder here.

#70 golf1836

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Member #: 121533
  • Handicap:9.6
  • Ebay ID:golf-n-stuff
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 22 February 2018 - 11:00 AM

played in a tournament raining in low 50's

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

#71 cgr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Member #: 493456
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 23 February 2018 - 01:07 PM

Last month we had a monthly event at the country club. It was in the 40s and pouring rain and the wind was blowing 20-35mph. At one point, the rain was coming down hard enough that there was a small river running across the a green along the line where the hole was, so I chipped from the green in order to try to splash it in the cup (which had filled with water). Eventually it just became unplayable, so we went in.

Edited by cgr, 23 February 2018 - 01:17 PM.

#72 bonvivantva

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Member #: 493714
  • Handicap:21.9
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 23 February 2018 - 11:08 PM

Fraternity tournament a few years back. Torrential rain about 13 holes in. There was this huge bathroom/storm shelter near us that we drove the carts into. I kind of lost track of time, but I doubt we waited longer than an hour or so. Several cigars and drinks later, it clears up and we finish the round. When we try to turn in our scorecard we figure out everyone else left. First and only tournament Ive won.

#73 Brewmaster23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Member #: 409380
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 24 February 2018 - 12:55 AM

Got caught in a lightning storm and it rained so hard by the time we walked across the course to the clubhouse that the rain water was six inches deep on the greens. Lightning was crackling right above our heads and hit the ground once a couple of hundred yards away from us.

#74 bobbydazzlewazzler

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Member #: 345271
  • Handicap:11
GolfWRX Likes : 207

Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:22 AM

Saw this vid last night (i played here just after xmas in really mild very benign links conditions), I dont recon even i would play in this:-

#75 davep043

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • Member #: 489076
  • Handicap:4.5
GolfWRX Likes : 438

Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:38 AM

My first trip to Ireland was in September 2004.  Some may remember, in late August to early September that year three different hurricanes went up the east coast of the US, one after another.  They followed the gulf stream across the Atlantic, and were battering the west coast of Ireland the entire time we were there.  We had a few moments of sunshine, but we had rain at least part of every single day.  Sometimes it was hammering down, other times it was more gentle, but we didn't have a single dry day in the whole week.  Oh, we also had wind.  At least one day had wind gusts clocked at over 50 mph down the coast, and generally had at least two to three-club winds all day long.  It was a blast, we just had to understand that we weren't going to shoot a score.

#76 Jskiser

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Member #: 472678
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 08 March 2018 - 12:16 PM

Heavy rain and wind in a tournament in Hilton Head. Low round of the day was 84. I shot 87 and was proud. Next day was totally different.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors