Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Two questions but I'm not mentioning the balls... yet.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 nad12

nad12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 286268
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 07 September 2017 - 06:33 AM

I have two questions that I shall ask without mentioning the specific golf balls for the time being. I would like the response(s) without any influence by the ball's brand.

Question 1:
If I have two 2-piece non-Urethane balls. I place them on the same lie, using the same five minute period (so same weather conditions), and applied the same shot (in this case a strong draw around a tree) and I find one draws considerably more than the other, then does this mean the ball than drew the most has a more spinny cover and therefore should have more green-side spin?

Question 2:
What difference should I experience between a 2-piece non-Urethane ball and a 3-piece non-Urethane ball?
Which one should feel harder in general?
Which one should  spin more with the Driver in general?
Which one should have more green-side spin in general?
Which one should be suitable for lower swing speeds in general?

Once (if) I have a few responses I will mention the golf balls that bring to raise this questions.
Thanks.

Edited by nad12, 07 September 2017 - 06:39 AM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,863 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
GolfWRX Likes : 4746

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:45 AM

nad12, on 07 September 2017 - 06:33 AM, said:

I have two questions that I shall ask without mentioning the specific golf balls for the time being. I would like the response(s) without any influence by the ball's brand.

Question 1:
If I have two 2-piece non-Urethane balls. I place them on the same lie, using the same five minute period (so same weather conditions), and applied the same shot (in this case a strong draw around a tree) and I find one draws considerably more than the other, then does this mean the ball than drew the most has a more spinny cover and therefore should have more green-side spin?

What club?   How much spin is generated and how that relates to the design of the ball depends a lot on the dynamic loft.  The higher the loft the more the cover material comes into play.  The lower the loft, the more the interior factors of the design will influence the spin.

nad12, on 07 September 2017 - 06:33 AM, said:

Question 2:
What difference should I experience between a 2-piece non-Urethane ball and a 3-piece non-Urethane ball?
Which one should feel harder in general?
Which one should  spin more with the Driver in general?
Which one should have more green-side spin in general?
Which one should be suitable for lower swing speeds in general?

Once (if) I have a few responses I will mention the golf balls that bring to raise this questions.
Thanks.

Without the specific characteristics of the various layers, it's impossible to say.  Multiple layers can certainly add to the potential for the manipulation of both spin characteristics and feel characteristics through the set and range of shot types but it doesn't really dictate any particular result.  The devil really is in the details.

#3 nad12

nad12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:53 AM

The club used to produce the draw was a 7 iron. The two 2-piece non-urethane balls used were hit a minute apart from each other, on the same patch of turf, on the same lie, in the same weather conditions. I actually hit each ball twice to do a fair test. I generated the same strike on each ball.

Edited by nad12, 07 September 2017 - 07:55 AM.

#4 augustgolf

augustgolf

Master of the 19th hole disaster

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 438244
  • Handicap:0
  • Ebay ID:augustgolf
GolfWRX Likes : 1919

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:01 AM

You must be "Iron Byron" to state that you generated the "same strike on each ball"

Even when I played at my absolute best, I knew that I NEVEN generated the same strike on a ball two times in a row....close, maybe....similar, absolutely....

But the same???? Nope

BTW...what is it that you are trying to accomplish with this "test"?
Pings from the beginning

OGA member 1415
or is it 1514...
I don't remember exactly

#5 tngolf22

tngolf22

Robert

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72309
  • Handicap:4.1
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:05 AM

Question 1:  No, I don't think you can.  Just because one ball spins more than another ball with a mid-iron shot doesn't mean it will spin more than the same other ball on a greenside chip.  Only way to really compare is to chip with both and see which one checks more.  That would be real test.  It would probably take me an hour with half-dozen sample of each ball to really know, maybe less if the difference is quite significant.

Question 2:  Impossible to say.  Urethane is urethane but other factors (dimple pattern, inner materials under the urethane, compression) can also affect the characteristics you mention.  Best way to test this would be a launch monitor.  Too difficult to really know by feel and like the above poster said many times you don't know how well you hit one shot versus the next.

Edited by tngolf22, 07 September 2017 - 08:08 AM.

#6 tngolf22

tngolf22

Robert

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72309
  • Handicap:4.1
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:16 AM

Years ago (I posted the results on here) I did my own "poor man's test" by hitting at least 3-4 balls of different "tour level" balls to see which one I hit furthest.  I think I tried Maxfli, Taylor Made, Srixon, Bridgestone and Titleist, all urethane.  This was way before the MG-C4s came out. I went to a sod farm and spent almost 3 hours doing nothing but hit drives on flat level bermuda, up hill and down hill.  Both the Titleist ProV1 and V1X eventually won out for overall distance.  Not by much, 5-10 yards but it was consistent enough to be noticeable.  However, my wallet won out and when the MG-C4 came out I played with them ever since lol.  Then the Callaway Supersoft came out and it has been my go-to winter ball with the MG being my warmer weather ball.

I'm sure other people's results would vary but I guess my point is the only way to know is to do your own test and even after a year or two technology has changed and the test is outdated.

#7 nad12

nad12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:32 AM

Okay, well I haven't held out long.
For question 1. The two balls I compared was the Titleist DT Trusoft and the Bridgestone xFIXx. Guess which one gained the most draw?... It was the xFIXx. I was consistent with my shots. I know the DT Trusoft has a good following so didn't want to bring the name into the discussion. For me, the xFIXx really is movable.

For question 2. The 2-pc is the DT Trusoft and the 3-pc is the Callaway Hx Diablo Tour. Again, due to the following of the Trusoft I wanted to leave the name out. Both being non-urethane and with the technology of the Hx Diablo Tour I expect the Diablo Tour to be the better ball (i.e. better spin characteristics).

I wanted to hear the opinions before I mentioned the Trusoft name in case there was any bias.

#8 Mr. Herbert

Mr. Herbert

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77823
  • Handicap:Gin
GolfWRX Likes : 415

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:35 AM

The Trusoft has a following?

#9 James495738

James495738

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 423100
  • Handicap:9
  • Ebay ID:Na
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:40 AM

I didnt like the Trusoft when I tested it:
https://exploringimp...ll-testing.html

#10 matthewb

matthewb

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34838
GolfWRX Likes : 404

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:41 AM

Asking empirical questions and attempting to answer with a shoddy methodology is a waste of time.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 North Butte

North Butte

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,976 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
  • Handicap:25
GolfWRX Likes : 3055

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:45 PM

Dean Snell has posted that it takes literally hundreds of shots with a hitting robot to nail down the small differences among different brand/model golf balls of similar construction type. There is no way a weekend golfer is going to reach a valid conclusion hitting two balls twice each...or twenty times each...or a hundred times each. Just not possible.

But don't let that stand in the way of whatever you choose to believe about the two balls in question!
A sensible man will realize that the eyes may be confused in two ways---by a change from light to darkness or from darkness to light; and he will recognize the same thing happens to the soul.

--Plato

#12 Golf64

Golf64

Go Habs Go!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,085 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104067
GolfWRX Likes : 2581

Posted 07 September 2017 - 03:27 PM

I have played both balls mentioned OP. TruSoft feels softer, but found the Diablo tours spun a bit more. To throw a monkey wrench into your testing, add the Q-Star to the mix. ;)
Bag set-up currently under construction..............again.............help?!

#13 lil'mike

lil'mike

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 436656
  • Ebay ID:mrgolf2k
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:30 PM

That Bridgestone xFIXx is an underrated ball for sure.  I used it on the course and on a Par 3 199 yards with a 4 iron, I got enough spin to hold within about 2 to 2 1/2 feet of the pitch mark.  Very impressive ball, feel wise and seems good off all clubs!

I thought they stopped making it but could be wrong!

#14 nad12

nad12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:46 AM

Jesus, you place a harmless post and some of the comments. It may not be my finest post but it is a less waste of time than a negative comment. If you don't like it, don't reply.

I may not be a robot but I do play off 11. I would say that is a decent enough standard to judge some draw shots. So, thanks, I will consider my opinion. Put it this way, 90% of the posts on here on opinions.

But you carry on liking each other's comments ... Pathetic!!

To the helpful posts.
I thought the DT Trusoft did have a big following. It certainly gets a lot of hype with a certain Mark Crossfield generating some spin on it. Personally, I've come to notice it doesn't stop too well, regardless of the hype (I hear) around it. The xFIXx doesn't receive much hype but I feel it is more than a capable ball.

Golf64 - thanks, I'll try the AD333 (UK).

James495738 - did you complete that testing evidence?  Really good. Great use of visuals.

lil'mike - The xFIXx has been replaced by the EasySoft. I haven't tried these but I presume they'll be the same.

Overall, regardless of this hype for the DT Trusoft I do not feel it is a very capable ball. I wonder why balls get endorsed more when I would say other balls are better performing. Maybe these online, supposedly natural, reviewers are getting paid for there efforts.

#15 matthewb

matthewb

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34838
GolfWRX Likes : 404

Posted 08 September 2017 - 06:45 AM

You're simply determining which ball you like subjectively. There is nothing to learn about the balls' different properties.

Share your opinion and have fun but be realistic in your claims.

#16 nad12

nad12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 07:01 AM

matthewb, on 08 September 2017 - 06:45 AM, said:

You're simply determining which ball you like subjectively. There is nothing to learn about the balls' different properties.

And my claim is?...  I hit the Trusoft and xFIXx side-by-side, with consistent strikes, and I saw the xFIXx draw more than the Trusoft. The shot angle was the same but the finishing position was different. I saw it so I believe it. Am I missing something here?
I may have worded it incorrectly but I am seeking to know if seeing the draw result would conclude the green-side would be greater with the xFIXx too.

I often hear that driver spin would equate to more wedge spin, and visa versa. So if the xFIXx drew more than the Trusoft, would the xFIXx zip back more than the Trusoft, or is the Trusoft designed to react to only Wedge shots and therefore maybe dormant with long irons but reactive with wedges.

With what I have witnessed, I don't understand why the Trusoft is receiving so much hype when I feel the xFIXx is a better ball. Have others tried these balls and have witnessed the same or not, or is it known that hype is paid for by dollars.

Edited by nad12, 08 September 2017 - 07:04 AM.

#17 North Butte

North Butte

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,976 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
  • Handicap:25
GolfWRX Likes : 3055

Posted 08 September 2017 - 07:28 AM

What TruSoft hype are you seeing? There was one thread here a couple weeks back that had some enthusiastic TruSoft players. And being a Titleist ball it gets advertised by Titleist a good bit.

That Bridgestone ball I have literally never seen on the golf course or seen any advertising. Which doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it. There are dozens (hundreds?) of golf ball models that aren't advertised much and that I don't encounter on the golf course. The vast majority of them are perfectly fine.

I doubt you're going to find many people who have compared those two exact balls side by side. The TruSoft isn't all that widely used and the other one is much less popular. But you're on the right forum, if there's anywhere you would find the one or two other people who might have compared them this would be the place...we've got a lot of guys who seem to try EVERYTHING!

Edited by North Butte, 08 September 2017 - 07:29 AM.

A sensible man will realize that the eyes may be confused in two ways---by a change from light to darkness or from darkness to light; and he will recognize the same thing happens to the soul.

--Plato

#18 lil'mike

lil'mike

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 436656
  • Ebay ID:mrgolf2k
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:34 AM

nad12, on 08 September 2017 - 07:01 AM, said:

matthewb, on 08 September 2017 - 06:45 AM, said:

And my claim is?...  I hit the Trusoft and xFIXx side-by-side, with consistent strikes, and I saw the xFIXx draw more than the Trusoft. The shot angle was the same but the finishing position was different. I saw it so I believe it. Am I missing something here?
I may have worded it incorrectly but I am seeking to know if seeing the draw result would conclude the green-side would be greater with the xFIXx too.

I often hear that driver spin would equate to more wedge spin, and visa versa. So if the xFIXx drew more than the Trusoft, would the xFIXx zip back more than the Trusoft, or is the Trusoft designed to react to only Wedge shots and therefore maybe dormant with long irons but reactive with wedges.

With what I have witnessed, I don't understand why the Trusoft is receiving so much hype when I feel the xFIXx is a better ball. Have others tried these balls and have witnessed the same or not, or is it known that hype is paid for by dollars.

The only reason why I tried it is that I found one on the course so when I tried it I was very surprised as it is a pretty well rounded ball.  So then I decided to do some searching on it and found out it was an older ball that was no longer made but could be found second hand for cheap!  If I didn't have like 20 dozen balls here I would have picked up a dozen to tryout.  FYI, I still have the one ball I found and have played about 4-5 rounds with it!  lol

I am not sure about the Trusoft as I don't recall every playing one.  If I play a two piece ball I prefer the Wilson Duo.  Another underrated ball for sure!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors