Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Great clip showing left arm off chest in downswing


53 replies to this topic

#31 Golf nerd

Golf nerd

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 336769
  • Joined: 08/28/2014
GolfWRX Likes : 214

Posted 08 September 2017 - 05:34 AM

View Postiteachgolf, on 08 September 2017 - 05:04 AM, said:


Yes


Thanks for the answer.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#32 glk

glk

    send it in jerome

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,144 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 336135
  • Joined: 08/25/2014
  • Location:Kodak, Tn/Chucktown, Sc via Chicago & Burgh
GolfWRX Likes : 4533

Posted 08 September 2017 - 05:56 AM

I've been working on this combo  along with arm shallowing since early June.



2

#33 Dave D

Dave D

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,936 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126808
  • Joined: 04/16/2011
  • Location:UK
  • Handicap:0.0
GolfWRX Likes : 1455

Posted 08 September 2017 - 06:45 AM

View Postiteachgolf, on 08 September 2017 - 05:04 AM, said:

View PostGolf nerd, on 08 September 2017 - 04:16 AM, said:

View Postiteachgolf, on 07 September 2017 - 07:37 AM, said:

Because you have too much tilt too soon.  Left side moving down and forward allows arms to get wider coming down.   If you tilt early your shoulders speed up relative to arm and the angle gets smaller
Does this what Dana shows around 0:35 seconds come close to what you are proposing, Dan?


Yes

Thanks Dan
Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Taylormade M1 3HL 17* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
2 iron: Taylormade P790 UDI w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 85g

4 iron: Callaway X Utility Prototype 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Irons:  Callaway X Forged '13 5-PW w/ Project X Pxi 6.0

Wedges: Mizuno T7 50*, 54* & 60* - DG wedge flex
Putter: Custom Raybon Squareback 34" w/ Superstroke Mid Slim 2.0
Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft


Posted Image
Posted Image

3

#34 Golf nerd

Golf nerd

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 336769
  • Joined: 08/28/2014
GolfWRX Likes : 214

Posted 08 September 2017 - 08:34 AM

Also related to that topic.


4

#35 dg_1983

dg_1983

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67526
  • Joined: 10/13/2008
  • Location:Fife, Scotland
  • Handicap:0.2
GolfWRX Likes : 526

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:19 PM

Could/Would doing this poorly cause heel strikes?

2014 Low 2.9
2015 Low 2.6
2016 Low 2.1
2017 Target 1.4
2018 Target 0.4
2019 Target +15
Current 0.2

5

#36 MonteScheinblum

MonteScheinblum

    Rebellion Golf

  • Sponsors
  • 18,066 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94238
  • Joined: 09/12/2009
  • Location:Southern California
GolfWRX Likes : 11237

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:22 PM

View Postdg_1983, on 08 September 2017 - 04:19 PM, said:

Could/Would doing this poorly cause heel strikes?

For sure.  Club kicks out early.  Like many things in tech swing, what logic dictates is the opposite of what really happens.

If your left arm releases off the chest properly, club will actually kick out later.



6

#37 dg_1983

dg_1983

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67526
  • Joined: 10/13/2008
  • Location:Fife, Scotland
  • Handicap:0.2
GolfWRX Likes : 526

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:55 PM

I'm super glad you know the swing Monte!

It's a complicated beast with alot of cause and effect!

I worked on this intention tonight and noticed a definite shift of my ball strike away from the heel.

Just to sort out that driver now.

Attached Thumbnails

  • IMG-20170908-WA0030.jpeg

2014 Low 2.9
2015 Low 2.6
2016 Low 2.1
2017 Target 1.4
2018 Target 0.4
2019 Target +15
Current 0.2

7

#38 MonteScheinblum

MonteScheinblum

    Rebellion Golf

  • Sponsors
  • 18,066 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94238
  • Joined: 09/12/2009
  • Location:Southern California
GolfWRX Likes : 11237

Posted 08 September 2017 - 05:52 PM

View Postdg_1983, on 08 September 2017 - 04:55 PM, said:

I'm super glad you know the swing Monte!

It's a complicated beast with alot of cause and effect!

I worked on this intention tonight and noticed a definite shift of my ball strike away from the heel.

Just to sort out that driver now.

Well done.

8

#39 PJ1120

PJ1120

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 154487
  • Joined: 01/12/2012
  • Location:Southern Cal
GolfWRX Likes : 155

Posted 08 September 2017 - 06:03 PM

If you release the left arm off the chest but go into secondary tilt too soon it's all for naught right? It's my #1 problem IMO.....the angles release early and I hit it fat.

9

#40 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,218 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14489
  • Joined: 04/30/2006
  • Location:Jacksonville, FL
GolfWRX Likes : 7365

Posted 08 September 2017 - 06:42 PM

View PostPJ1120, on 08 September 2017 - 06:03 PM, said:

If you release the left arm off the chest but go into secondary tilt too soon it's all for naught right? It's my #1 problem IMO.....the angles release early and I hit it fat.

You can't release left arm from chest too early and tilt too soon, those are opposites.  If you tilt too soon your left arm will be across chest and right arm vey bent forcing you to dump wrist angles to reach the ball (David Tom's).


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#41 PJ1120

PJ1120

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 154487
  • Joined: 01/12/2012
  • Location:Southern Cal
GolfWRX Likes : 155

Posted 09 September 2017 - 11:35 AM

Thanks Dan. So keep the left shoulder low until P6 and sternum is ahead of the ball and then add secondary tilt while extending (kicking the belt up)?

11

#42 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,218 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14489
  • Joined: 04/30/2006
  • Location:Jacksonville, FL
GolfWRX Likes : 7365

Posted 09 September 2017 - 11:51 AM

View PostPJ1120, on 09 September 2017 - 11:35 AM, said:

Thanks Dan. So keep the left shoulder low until P6 and sternum is ahead of the ball and then add secondary tilt while extending (kicking the belt up)?

Sternum won't be ahead of the ball unless ball is way back but rest is correct

12

#43 PJ1120

PJ1120

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 154487
  • Joined: 01/12/2012
  • Location:Southern Cal
GolfWRX Likes : 155

Posted 09 September 2017 - 01:04 PM

I though I remembered McNary telling me years ago that the sternum had to be in front of the ball at impact with iron shots. Is that a S&T thing?

13

#44 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,218 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14489
  • Joined: 04/30/2006
  • Location:Jacksonville, FL
GolfWRX Likes : 7365

Posted 09 September 2017 - 01:46 PM

View PostPJ1120, on 09 September 2017 - 01:04 PM, said:

I though I remembered McNary telling me years ago that the sternum had to be in front of the ball at impact with iron shots. Is that a S&T thing?

You'd have to ask him.  It CAN be in front of the ball but it certainly doesn't HAVE to be.

14

#45 Redjeep83

Redjeep83

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,845 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115910
  • Joined: 10/08/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 845

Posted 09 September 2017 - 01:58 PM

I think some instructors use that as a feel to hit down with an iron , it's in Sean foleys DVD and I went to an instructor that taught that feel too. Not really something I use but McNealy was prob taught that as a feel


15

#46 Nard_S

Nard_S

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,738 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 335269
  • Joined: 08/21/2014
  • Location:Norwalk, CT
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 2135

Posted 09 September 2017 - 03:24 PM

Good thread.

Several weeks ago I inadvertently, stumbled across this feel (keep left shoulder low and move forward with it) to hit more down on short irons and minimize my thin strikes (most common miss) . Could groove it for a bit but then would lose it again. The thoughts here clarify the 'how & why' it works. High fiber for my junk food swing.

16

#47 Dave D

Dave D

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,936 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126808
  • Joined: 04/16/2011
  • Location:UK
  • Handicap:0.0
GolfWRX Likes : 1455

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:43 PM

View Postiteachgolf, on 07 September 2017 - 07:37 AM, said:

View PostDave D, on 07 September 2017 - 03:55 AM, said:

View PostBilly Baroo, on 07 September 2017 - 03:27 AM, said:

I really enjoy this gentleman's posts on IG as well as his YouTube channel.  He's a must follow in my opinion.
Completely agree, has some great content.

The thing I find hard with this move, as Dan (iteach) has said I need more of it in the past and I'm sure I still do, is how to get this move whilst still having a good downswing pivot. When I focus on the arms doing this move I then have very little turn through the ball

Because you have too much tilt too soon.  Left side moving down and forward allows arms to get wider coming down.   If you tilt early your shoulders speed up relative to arm and the angle gets smaller

Dan in regards to left side moving down and forward would this also mean the shoulders stay closed for longer in the downswing?
Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Taylormade M1 3HL 17* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
2 iron: Taylormade P790 UDI w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 85g

4 iron: Callaway X Utility Prototype 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Irons:  Callaway X Forged '13 5-PW w/ Project X Pxi 6.0

Wedges: Mizuno T7 50*, 54* & 60* - DG wedge flex
Putter: Custom Raybon Squareback 34" w/ Superstroke Mid Slim 2.0
Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft


Posted Image
Posted Image

17

#48 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,218 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14489
  • Joined: 04/30/2006
  • Location:Jacksonville, FL
GolfWRX Likes : 7365

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:45 PM

View PostDave D, on 14 September 2017 - 12:43 PM, said:

View Postiteachgolf, on 07 September 2017 - 07:37 AM, said:

View PostDave D, on 07 September 2017 - 03:55 AM, said:

View PostBilly Baroo, on 07 September 2017 - 03:27 AM, said:

I really enjoy this gentleman's posts on IG as well as his YouTube channel.  He's a must follow in my opinion.
Completely agree, has some great content.

The thing I find hard with this move, as Dan (iteach) has said I need more of it in the past and I'm sure I still do, is how to get this move whilst still having a good downswing pivot. When I focus on the arms doing this move I then have very little turn through the ball

Because you have too much tilt too soon.  Left side moving down and forward allows arms to get wider coming down.   If you tilt early your shoulders speed up relative to arm and the angle gets smaller

Dan in regards to left side moving down and forward would this also mean the shoulders stay closed for longer in the downswing?

Kinda.  What happens is the arms would be wider sooner so the shoulders would look closed longer.  In reality pivot is in the same place but arms are further along

18

#49 Dave D

Dave D

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,936 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126808
  • Joined: 04/16/2011
  • Location:UK
  • Handicap:0.0
GolfWRX Likes : 1455

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:13 PM

View Postiteachgolf, on 14 September 2017 - 12:45 PM, said:

View PostDave D, on 14 September 2017 - 12:43 PM, said:

View Postiteachgolf, on 07 September 2017 - 07:37 AM, said:

View PostDave D, on 07 September 2017 - 03:55 AM, said:

View PostBilly Baroo, on 07 September 2017 - 03:27 AM, said:

I really enjoy this gentleman's posts on IG as well as his YouTube channel.  He's a must follow in my opinion.
Completely agree, has some great content.

The thing I find hard with this move, as Dan (iteach) has said I need more of it in the past and I'm sure I still do, is how to get this move whilst still having a good downswing pivot. When I focus on the arms doing this move I then have very little turn through the ball

Because you have too much tilt too soon.  Left side moving down and forward allows arms to get wider coming down.   If you tilt early your shoulders speed up relative to arm and the angle gets smaller

Dan in regards to left side moving down and forward would this also mean the shoulders stay closed for longer in the downswing?

Kinda.  What happens is the arms would be wider sooner so the shoulders would look closed longer.  In reality pivot is in the same place but arms are further along

Thanks. So in simplistic terms i keep my right arm folded for too long and tilt as a reaction to hit the ball. If I extend my right arm sooner from the top and get it further from my right shoulder quicker hopefully my body would react and I'd tilt less?

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Taylormade M1 3HL 17* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
2 iron: Taylormade P790 UDI w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 85g

4 iron: Callaway X Utility Prototype 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Irons:  Callaway X Forged '13 5-PW w/ Project X Pxi 6.0

Wedges: Mizuno T7 50*, 54* & 60* - DG wedge flex
Putter: Custom Raybon Squareback 34" w/ Superstroke Mid Slim 2.0
Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft


Posted Image
Posted Image

19

#50 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,218 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14489
  • Joined: 04/30/2006
  • Location:Jacksonville, FL
GolfWRX Likes : 7365

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:19 PM

View PostDave D, on 14 September 2017 - 01:13 PM, said:

View Postiteachgolf, on 14 September 2017 - 12:45 PM, said:

View PostDave D, on 14 September 2017 - 12:43 PM, said:

View Postiteachgolf, on 07 September 2017 - 07:37 AM, said:

View PostDave D, on 07 September 2017 - 03:55 AM, said:

Completely agree, has some great content.

The thing I find hard with this move, as Dan (iteach) has said I need more of it in the past and I'm sure I still do, is how to get this move whilst still having a good downswing pivot. When I focus on the arms doing this move I then have very little turn through the ball

Because you have too much tilt too soon.  Left side moving down and forward allows arms to get wider coming down.   If you tilt early your shoulders speed up relative to arm and the angle gets smaller

Dan in regards to left side moving down and forward would this also mean the shoulders stay closed for longer in the downswing?

Kinda.  What happens is the arms would be wider sooner so the shoulders would look closed longer.  In reality pivot is in the same place but arms are further along

Thanks. So in simplistic terms i keep my right arm folded for too long and tilt as a reaction to hit the ball. If I extend my right arm sooner from the top and get it further from my right shoulder quicker hopefully my body would react and I'd tilt less?

Correct.  I prefer to focus on left side bend to get arms wider but you can focus on arms wider as well to incentivize the left side bend


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#51 Dave D

Dave D

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,936 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126808
  • Joined: 04/16/2011
  • Location:UK
  • Handicap:0.0
GolfWRX Likes : 1455

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:50 PM

View Postiteachgolf, on 14 September 2017 - 01:19 PM, said:

Correct.  I prefer to focus on left side bend to get arms wider but you can focus on arms wider as well to incentivize the left side bend

So a transition move feel of maintaining left side bend as right arm straightens and moves away from right shoulder

Thanks Dan

Edited by Dave D, 14 September 2017 - 05:51 PM.

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Taylormade M1 3HL 17* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
2 iron: Taylormade P790 UDI w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 85g

4 iron: Callaway X Utility Prototype 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Irons:  Callaway X Forged '13 5-PW w/ Project X Pxi 6.0

Wedges: Mizuno T7 50*, 54* & 60* - DG wedge flex
Putter: Custom Raybon Squareback 34" w/ Superstroke Mid Slim 2.0
Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft


Posted Image
Posted Image

21

#52 Dave D

Dave D

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,936 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126808
  • Joined: 04/16/2011
  • Location:UK
  • Handicap:0.0
GolfWRX Likes : 1455

Posted 15 September 2017 - 03:54 AM

Follow up video to the original by Shaun Webb

https://www.instagra...y=shaunwebbgolf
Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Taylormade M1 3HL 17* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
2 iron: Taylormade P790 UDI w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 85g

4 iron: Callaway X Utility Prototype 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Irons:  Callaway X Forged '13 5-PW w/ Project X Pxi 6.0

Wedges: Mizuno T7 50*, 54* & 60* - DG wedge flex
Putter: Custom Raybon Squareback 34" w/ Superstroke Mid Slim 2.0
Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft


Posted Image
Posted Image

22

#53 Albatross85

Albatross85

    The straightest hitters in golf don't hit it straight

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,956 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 268050
  • Joined: 08/02/2013
  • Location:St. Louis, MO
  • Handicap:+2.1
GolfWRX Likes : 1695

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:26 AM

This was a really good thread. I must've missed it originally but there is some gold in here so i'll bump it for others
Titleist TS3 8.5* Tensei Pro White 70TX proto 44.5" D5 (206g)
TM Tour Issue 16' M2 14.5* Tensei Pro White 80TX proto 42.75" D4
Mizuno MP18 Fli-Hi #2 17.5* Handcrafted HZRDUS 105 6.5 39.75" D4
Titleist 712U 4 iron C-taper S+ 125 D4
Wilson FG Tour V6 5-P PX LZ 6.5 +3/8" D3.5 off 46* PW
SM6 50.12F PX LZ 6.5 + 3/8"" D6
SM6 56.08M Raw DG TI Onyx S400 +1/4" D7
Vokey TVD TX3 Black 61.09M DG TI Onyx S400 +3/8"" D7
Odyssey Tour Only Jailbird Versa Plumbers Neck w/ White Hot Pro insert
Bridgestone Tour B XS
WITB Link

23

#54 tinman143

tinman143

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100498
  • Joined: 12/19/2009
  • Location:Bay Area
GolfWRX Likes : 73

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:38 AM

View PostAlbatross85, on 11 July 2018 - 09:26 AM, said:

This was a really good thread. I must've missed it originally but there is some gold in here so i'll bump it for others

Woke up around 3:30am and couldnt fall back asleep. Decided to google left arm off chest and found this thread. I suffer from WAY too much early tilt and the Dana vid & Dan explanation of lowering the lead shoulder to allow the arms to widen speaks to me. Cant wait for sunlight to come! Gold indeed.

Edited by tinman143, 19 August 2018 - 10:18 AM.


24



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors