Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Golf Self Fundraising

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 darter79

darter79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 06 September 2017 - 01:31 PM

Every once in a while I will come across links on social media about help this junior golf get to worlds, or regionals or some other very cool yet expensive event. Normally they have a website with sponsorship, donations, go fund me links ect.  We all know how expensive golf is.  What does everyone else think about these?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 638

Posted 06 September 2017 - 02:42 PM

View Postdarter79, on 06 September 2017 - 01:31 PM, said:

Every once in a while I will come across links on social media about help this junior golf get to worlds, or regionals or some other very cool yet expensive event. Normally they have a website with sponsorship, donations, go fund me links ect.  We all know how expensive golf is.  What does everyone else think about these?

I personally think it is lame.  You can either afford it, or not.  It is a game that at the ripe age of 10 doesn't mean squat.  US Kids State Invitationals, US Kids Regional, and even the US Kids Worlds Championships mean absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things.  People donating are basically paying for these kids and their family to go on a vacation.

Once you get to AJGA there is the ACE Grant and programs that will help fund the kids.  Go Fund Me for sports.....  come on.

#3 darter79

darter79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 02:49 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 06 September 2017 - 02:42 PM, said:

I personally think it is lame.  You can either afford it, or not.  It is a game that at the ripe age of 10 doesn't mean squat.  US Kids State Invitationals, US Kids Regional, and even the US Kids Worlds Championships mean absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things.  People donating are basically paying for these kids and their family to go on a vacation.

Once you get to AJGA there is the ACE Grant and programs that will help fund the kids.  Go Fund Me for sports.....  come on.

I agree especially with golf. Now I see travel sports teams and to me that more logical. But golf its different.  I've even seen personal websites asking for sponsors ect.

I'm lucky as we have both regional and state just hours away from me, so our cost is cheaper than most.

#4 leezer99

leezer99

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 93

Posted 06 September 2017 - 03:41 PM

Why do you always sugar coat these things HH?  :cheesy:

I agree with you 100% though.  I had asked our coach about playing in an event that wasn't cheap and he said, 'save the money and buy yourself something nice'.  Come to think of it, it might be time for papa to get a new set of wedges.

#5 kekoa

kekoa

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,345 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1298

Posted 06 September 2017 - 05:19 PM

For the most part I agree- It's lame, but that is because I can afford this golf stuff for the time being.  Give me a few years and I may start a gofundme page of my own.

You keep saying how accomplishments for young players ie, 12 and under doesn't mean squat.  Ok, so high finishes at regionals, states, and worlds etc... won't get you a college scholarship but there are a lot of kids out there who just want to play and compete.  So in actuality, it does mean something to them which is all that matters at that age.  Also, I don't see any of the larger tournaments as a vacation, but maybe I'm going about it all wrong. :to_become_senile:

#6 darter79

darter79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:55 PM

View Postkekoa, on 06 September 2017 - 05:19 PM, said:

For the most part I agree- It's lame, but that is because I can afford this golf stuff for the time being.  Give me a few years and I may start a gofundme page of my own.

You keep saying how accomplishments for young players ie, 12 and under doesn't mean squat.  Ok, so high finishes at regionals, states, and worlds etc... won't get you a college scholarship but there are a lot of kids out there who just want to play and compete.  So in actuality, it does mean something to them which is all that matters at that age.  Also, I don't see any of the larger tournaments as a vacation, but maybe I'm going about it all wrong. :to_become_senile:

I think its about what it does for the kid.  When they are 30 will it matter they were local tour champion at 8. Not one bit, however it does build confiendece, and teaching them its okay to loose. Which I love. I love what sports can do for kids.  The only expenseve event we plan on doing is worlds next year (since we have a state and regional under 3 hours away), although i would love to do the hoilday classic I just don't think its  worth all the money to go even with a doubled vaction planed.

#7 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 638

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:35 PM

View Postdarter79, on 06 September 2017 - 06:55 PM, said:

View Postkekoa, on 06 September 2017 - 05:19 PM, said:

I think its about what it does for the kid.  When they are 30 will it matter they were local tour champion at 8. Not one bit, however it does build confiendece, and teaching them its okay to loose. Which I love. I love what sports can do for kids.  The only expenseve event we plan on doing is worlds next year (since we have a state and regional under 3 hours away), although i would love to do the hoilday classic I just don't think its  worth all the money to go even with a doubled vaction planed.

This.

It is sport and you can get the same exact thing out of playing local events as you can state, regional, world's.  

Kekoa, I have had the same discussion with many parents including those at the highest level.  I also lived it with a daughter that plays D1 golf and didn't start playing until she was 12.5.  12 and Under Golf means just as much as 12 and under football, baseball, basketball, swimming, etc. etc.  It means absolutely nothing in terms of future success in the sport.  What you get out of it is the qualities that sport teaches young kids.  Playing in State, Regional, and World tournaments does nothing for a kid under 12 that sports develops in these kids that you can't get out of playing in a local tournament.  It will not make them ready to play college, mini tours, web.com, lpga, or pga.  It doesn't even give them a better chance at achieving these things.  In fact, it gives them zero a 0% chance at achieving those things.  Kids at these ages should play basketball, football, soccer, gymnastics, golf, baseball etc. during those appropriate seasons.  Playing one sport year round will only do one thing for a kid and that is cause injury later on down the line from doing a repetitive motion over and over.  Take breaks, enjoy other sports, and take out of it the joy of the experience with your kid.  If you take any thing else out of it you are setting yourself and child up for disappointment when they get older.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors