Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Calling all guys who complain about frequent product releases


36 replies to this topic

#1 xjohnx

xjohnx

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75904
  • Joined: 02/23/2009
  • Location:NH
  • Ebay ID:xedgep90x
GolfWRX Likes : 615

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:21 AM

I'm a guy who likes cool stuff, gear, upgrades and generally has fun tinkering and trying new things. You're probably at least a little like me if you're on this site a lot. Along with golf, my two other (expensive) hobbies are Mountain Biking and Guitars. If you also have other hobbies or share some of mine then maybe you know where I'm coming from. Last night I was looking at some new mountain bikes that are coming out. For those of you who don't ride, going rate for decent to high end bikes is $3500-$10,000 these days. Yes, these are bikes that you pedal with your legs. Similar fun tech and material like golf with carbon fiber, ever changing standards etc. all in pursuit of improvement and setting the bar higher and higher. I was reading the comments and other than people being open about their opinions about certain bikes or changing standards etc. there was one thing that was definitely missing - The guys bitching about how stupid it is that the companies come out with new replacement models every year. And how about the guitars? We don't buy new ones because of new technology or game changing benefits, we buy new ones because they look cool or maybe sound a little different. So why is it so stupid to buy new golf clubs for the similar reasons?

The most obvious answer to that question is BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT THEY DO. I just find it funny that golfers are the only ones that complain that they get new toys and new tech to play with IF THEY CHOOSE. I know I'm not saying anything new I just want to hear from some of the haters about why they feel the need to share why they are so butthurt about it. In what industry do companies not come out with new models every year? Cars, clothing, skiing, cycling, electronics, etc. It's all the same and it's nothing new!


Would love for some of you guys to speak up because I genuinely don't understand why I read things like "This is depressing" and "I'm never buying another (name oem) club again, they release too many clubs". Can you maybe share some of your other hobbies and if you think it's stupid for them to release new models too? How do expect businesses to maintain profitability if they don't continue to release new products? I get the whole "they aren't that different" or "diminishing returns" arguments but, those same points could be made about the cars, bikes, televisions etc. and those guys never complain like the golfers.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 rcain1us

rcain1us

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,704 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15685
  • Joined: 06/24/2006
  • Location:South of Boston
  • Ebay ID:blondiegolf
GolfWRX Likes : 1358

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:25 AM

The only people that get pissed off are the guys that can't wait to have the latest and pay retail.

Myself, I love it because I know if I wait a season or even just a few months on used and I can get the same club for probably 50% of the $
Callaway Epic SZ  10.5* (set at 9.5*) with ADDI 7X
Titleist 915F 15* Project X 7B3 6.5
Callaway GBB Heavenwood (set at 19*) Speeder VC 8.1 X
Titleist 714MB AD115X 4-PW
Titleist SM5 50* Steelfiber CWS110
Callaway MD3 54* Steelfiber CWS 110
Callaway MD3 60* Steelfiber CWS 125
Bettinard BB1F

2

#3 Roadking_6

Roadking_6

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 405706
  • Joined: 12/14/2015
  • Location:Ohio
  • Ebay ID:Roadking_6
GolfWRX Likes : 1125

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:26 AM

I am at the point where I like testing new gear just for the sake of doing it. I buy and sell because I like to. I have more fun going to a place with a wall of shaft options and just pounding balls for a couple hours than I do actually "playing golf". Let the OEM's release 1 new driver or iron set per month, gives me more of a reason to go hit them all.

3

#4 xjohnx

xjohnx

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75904
  • Joined: 02/23/2009
  • Location:NH
  • Ebay ID:xedgep90x
GolfWRX Likes : 615

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:30 AM

View PostRoadking_6, on 06 September 2017 - 09:26 AM, said:

I am at the point where I like testing new gear just for the sake of doing it. I buy and sell because I like to. I have more fun going to a place with a wall of shaft options and just pounding balls for a couple hours than I do actually "playing golf". Let the OEM's release 1 new driver or iron set per month, gives me more of a reason to go hit them all.

Haha I'm with you. And I gotta find a place with a wall of shafts so I stop buying them online just to try!

4

#5 Roadking_6

Roadking_6

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 405706
  • Joined: 12/14/2015
  • Location:Ohio
  • Ebay ID:Roadking_6
GolfWRX Likes : 1125

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:33 AM

View Postxjohnx, on 06 September 2017 - 09:30 AM, said:

View PostRoadking_6, on 06 September 2017 - 09:26 AM, said:

I am at the point where I like testing new gear just for the sake of doing it. I buy and sell because I like to. I have more fun going to a place with a wall of shaft options and just pounding balls for a couple hours than I do actually "playing golf". Let the OEM's release 1 new driver or iron set per month, gives me more of a reason to go hit them all.

Haha I'm with you. And I gotta find a place with a wall of shafts so I stop buying them online just to try!
We have a couple places, all a little drive (1-2 hours) where it gives me an excuse to go and hit everything while there. I still buy a ton of crap on the BST just to try. It's half the fun for me.


5

#6 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

    #TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 19,137 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
  • Joined: 11/01/2008
  • Location:Montreal
  • Handicap:1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 18785

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:52 AM

I think it's the lack of price protection that people don't like. It's not fun to pay 599$ for something and then see it at 249$ 6 months later.

Though to be honest I don't think the OEM's are nearly as bad about this as they used to be
Callaway Epic Subzero 8 w/Diamana D+ 70
Callaway XR Pro 14 w/Diamana D+ 80
Callaway Steelhead XR 3 iron w/S300
Callaway Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
Callaway MD Forged 52,56,60 w/S200
Odyssey Versa Works 1W Tank

6

#7 xjohnx

xjohnx

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75904
  • Joined: 02/23/2009
  • Location:NH
  • Ebay ID:xedgep90x
GolfWRX Likes : 615

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:09 AM

View PostMtlJeff, on 06 September 2017 - 09:52 AM, said:

I think it's the lack of price protection that people don't like. It's not fun to pay 599$ for something and then see it at 249$ 6 months later.

Though to be honest I don't think the OEM's are nearly as bad about this as they used to be

Yeah that's true Jeff. But, I guess it's the same argument from where I'm standing. In most other areas people just have an understanding and acceptance that it happens that way. Cars are cheaper before the new model year arrives, stores have seasonal clearance sales etc. The guys that buy bikes know they could wait until the end of the year and buy the shops demos at 30-40% off but, then they lost a whole season of riding a new bike. I guess my point is that, it's no secret to everyone that the prices are going to go down. It should be an unspoken choice to either wait, or don't complain. But this is the internet, after all.

7

#8 Chadwickog

Chadwickog

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 448808
  • Joined: 12/13/2016
  • Location:Nepa
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:26 AM

Oh, looks like I came to the right place.  My other hobby that I've kind of laid off now for awhile is cars.  Once I caught the golf bug again and got into equipment it really helped ween me off of buying car parts.  Golf equipment is much cheaper so it's a great way to get rid of that buy new stuff itch.  I love going and trying out new equipment and am always buying new stuff off the bay or the BST to try and then resell.

8

#9 HateTheHighDraw

HateTheHighDraw

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129124
  • Joined: 05/20/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 275

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:37 AM

It's anxiety. Can't stand not to be playing the latest and greatest

9

#10 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

    #TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 19,137 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
  • Joined: 11/01/2008
  • Location:Montreal
  • Handicap:1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 18785

Posted 06 September 2017 - 12:31 PM

View Postxjohnx, on 06 September 2017 - 11:09 AM, said:

View PostMtlJeff, on 06 September 2017 - 09:52 AM, said:

I think it's the lack of price protection that people don't like. It's not fun to pay 599$ for something and then see it at 249$ 6 months later.

Though to be honest I don't think the OEM's are nearly as bad about this as they used to be

Yeah that's true Jeff. But, I guess it's the same argument from where I'm standing. In most other areas people just have an understanding and acceptance that it happens that way. Cars are cheaper before the new model year arrives, stores have seasonal clearance sales etc. The guys that buy bikes know they could wait until the end of the year and buy the shops demos at 30-40% off but, then they lost a whole season of riding a new bike. I guess my point is that, it's no secret to everyone that the prices are going to go down. It should be an unspoken choice to either wait, or don't complain. But this is the internet, after all.

I don't have many other high end hobbies so its hard for me to compare. Cars get discounted but you're not going to buy one at half price brand new that's a year old. I mean i just was shopping for Crosstreks, and they have the new model coming out this fall, and you're not going to get much money off on the 2016. You'll get some for sure but maybe a couple G's

Clothes is probably a good example, as you can get a 500$ suit for 200$ when it's on clearance, but clothes companies rarely tell you their new suits is "their best one ever"! People seem more in tune with how that market works

I think with golf it was the aggressive marketing "buy this or get left behind!" combined with short cycles and rapid discounting. The early adopters felt like they got screwed

But i think eventually consumers wised up and the OEMs took note. One major marketing exec for a top OEM flat out said on this site they acknowledged the psychological effect discounting had on their customers

Callaway Epic Subzero 8 w/Diamana D+ 70
Callaway XR Pro 14 w/Diamana D+ 80
Callaway Steelhead XR 3 iron w/S300
Callaway Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
Callaway MD Forged 52,56,60 w/S200
Odyssey Versa Works 1W Tank

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 sheppy335

sheppy335

    TMAG Junkie

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 5,730 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11865
  • Joined: 02/13/2006
  • Location:Pittsburgh PA
  • Handicap:19
  • Ebay ID:sheppy33
GolfWRX Likes : 662

Posted 06 September 2017 - 01:03 PM

Doesnt bother me, when i found what works for me i dont change it till it is worn out. I change things every 4 to 5 years or more. Wedges are the only thing sooner since i love fresh grooves. Even then i buy the heads only and they are from a season or two ago.
TM M1 430 TP 10.5 Mitsubishi Kai'li
TM M2 Tour 15 Kuro Kage
TM RBZ Tour HL3 17 UST V2
TM TP UDI 2 iron 18 UST Recoil 110
TM TP UDI 3 iron 20 Paderson KINETXX 950
TM RSi TP UDI 4 iron 23 Aldila Trinity 65
TM PSi 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 130
TM xFT TP 50, 54, 58 Nippon Pro WV115
TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

I drop the 2 iron or one of the other UDI's based on course.

11

#12 TM_HOYER

TM_HOYER

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,035 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90581
  • Joined: 08/03/2009
  • Location:Georgia
GolfWRX Likes : 437

Posted 06 September 2017 - 01:15 PM

I will buy what I want to try and I think will help my game. Plus getting it custom made is soooo much easier than it used to be, making it more tempting to buy since I can get exactly what I want. Also I have three PGATSS within a 30 minute drive (one is a 10 minute drive), which is bad for impulse buying. I do not look at clubs as an investment so what ever I get when I trade it in is fine with me. I have noticed the past two years, discounting of current models is not happening as fast as it used to.
Callaway Epic 10.5 driver w/ Project X LZ50 Handcrafted 5.0
Callaway Epic 3 wood w/ Project X LZ60 Handcrafted 5.5
Callaway Epic 5 wood w/ Fujikura Pro 62 Green Regular
Callaway Epic 4 Hybrid w/ UST Mamiya Recoil ES 780 Regular
Callaway Epic 5 - AW w/ Project X LZ 95 5.5 Softstepped
Callaway MD Forged 56, 60 Slate w/ Project X LZ 5.5
Odyssey O-Works #1 Wide
TaylorMade Tour Preferred X

12

#13 grm24

grm24

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4801
  • Joined: 08/09/2005
  • Location:Western PA
GolfWRX Likes : 849

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:26 AM

View Postrcain1us, on 06 September 2017 - 09:25 AM, said:

The only people that get pissed off are the guys that can't wait to have the latest and pay retail.
And many of those people anxiously fret over a clubs resale value. If your are buying a golf club at full boat then worry about it's resale/trade value you likely should not be buying the club in the first place.

13

#14 Mudguard

Mudguard

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114531
  • Joined: 09/08/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 263

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:42 AM

The problem with mountain bikes is that they are still getting better. I ride a bike with 170mm of travel and it's 30lbs!
But golf gear really topped out when they limited driver had size and COR. Golf has always been difficult to play well. Whereas a novice mountain biker might be able to go out and drop 15-20 pounds by changing bikes.

14

#15 xjohnx

xjohnx

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75904
  • Joined: 02/23/2009
  • Location:NH
  • Ebay ID:xedgep90x
GolfWRX Likes : 615

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:29 AM

View PostMudguard, on 13 September 2017 - 03:42 AM, said:

The problem with mountain bikes is that they are still getting better. I ride a bike with 170mm of travel and it's 30lbs!
But golf gear really topped out when they limited driver had size and COR. Golf has always been difficult to play well. Whereas a novice mountain biker might be able to go out and drop 15-20 pounds by changing bikes.

I hear what you're saying and I agree, mountain bikes are just getting insane now. But, the argument there is more similar than you're considering. Compare the bikes from year to year. This years new model might have 10mm more travel and be 1.2lbs lighter but, for the price you'll pay after selling your old model and buying the new one, how much better/faster are you going to be able to ride your local trails? It's kinda like golf if you think about it. The guys on tour will switch because they wont turn down 1mph added ball speed just like Aaron Gwin is obviously going to ride the new frame that's .5lb lighter to try to gain tenths of a second if he can. Those guys have the precision and control to notice and take advantage of the difference but, is the average golfer/rider going to benefit at all?

Your second point suggests the exception in both cases. Year to year, the equipment changes are usually subtle in terms of how the average guy can benefit from their performance claims. However, when you compound those changes into a new club for a guy that's replacing something 5-10 years old then it's pretty significant. And the comparison of a novice biker dropping 15-20 pounds is like comparing the guy who got into golf with a $129 box set from a sporting goods store and now spends $1,000 on a real set. Of course there's a difference there but, that's not relevant to the topic of frequent product replacements/releases.


15

#16 smokedturkey

smokedturkey

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 404708
  • Joined: 12/04/2015
  • Location:South Florida
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 97

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:32 PM

I think when players pay list price retail to have the latest technology and shiniest tool in the shed, that when a new line comes out and makes them second best for really minimal to no improvement resentment happens.

I think when players pay list price retail to have the latest technology and shiniest tool in the shed, that when a new line comes out and makes them second best for really minimal to no improvement resentment happens.
Ping G LS Tec   Tour 65S
TM Aeroburner HL 16.5* Stock Matrix Speed Rulz Stiff
2017 TM M2 18* Stock S
Callaway XR 19* & 22* Stock Project X 6.0 S
Srixon Z565 5-6 / 765 7-PW   950S
Cleve 588 RTX2 - 52 & 58
Odyssey Works Versa 9
B330S / RXS / ZStar / Pro V1x

On Deck Circle, Back Up, Next Man Up

Ping G30, 10.5*  Tour 65S
TM V Steel 15* Stock Stiff

Cobra F6 Baffler 4/5 19* Stock Red Tie S or TM V Steel 18* NVS R
Titleist 716 - AP1 4-PW  XP90S (PW bent to 45)
Cleveland 900 RTG 52, 56, 60
Putter -  Ping Zing 2

16

#17 Nixhex524

Nixhex524

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 305437
  • Joined: 04/03/2014
  • Location:L.B.
  • Handicap:5.3
  • Ebay ID:Nixhex524
GolfWRX Likes : 541

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:09 PM

View PostChadwickog, on 06 September 2017 - 11:26 AM, said:

Oh, looks like I came to the right place.  My other hobby that I've kind of laid off now for awhile is cars.  Once I caught the golf bug again and got into equipment it really helped ween me off of buying car parts.  Golf equipment is much cheaper so it's a great way to get rid of that buy new stuff itch.  I love going and trying out new equipment and am always buying new stuff off the bay or the BST to try and then resell.

When I look back and think about how much money I spent on cars a decade or so ago, I think about how many circle T's I could have owned by now... LOL  Maybe even another house or two....  but it was fun.

I used to care about product releases then I realized it really doesn't matter and it is an advantage for those of us who like to try stuff on a regular basis.  I have a few OEMs I really gravitate towards anyway so the ones who drop something every 6 months don't affect me.  I can understand paying brand new price VS 6 month later price, that does kind of suck and that's the only real issue I guess I could have but that's why I rarely buy anything brand new anymore.  We really have little room to complain, we know who the offenders are and the chance of the next release coming soon... only ourselves to blame there really.
Titleist 905r 9.5* Proforce V2 76
Titleist 913 Fd 15* Speeder 757 TS
Titleist 913h 19* Diamana S+ 82
Titleist 913h 21* Proforce V2 90
Titleist 695mb 4-P PX 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM6 52-12/58-12
Scotty Cameron GoLo s5

17

#18 TollBros

TollBros

    Overseer of the Test Range

  • Sponsors
  • 2,200 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 438250
  • Joined: 08/25/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 1601

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:59 PM

View Postxjohnx, on 06 September 2017 - 09:21 AM, said:

I'm a guy who likes cool stuff, gear, upgrades and generally has fun tinkering and trying new things. You're probably at least a little like me if you're on this site a lot. Along with golf, my two other (expensive) hobbies are Mountain Biking and Guitars. If you also have other hobbies or share some of mine then maybe you know where I'm coming from. Last night I was looking at some new mountain bikes that are coming out. For those of you who don't ride, going rate for decent to high end bikes is $3500-$10,000 these days. Yes, these are bikes that you pedal with your legs. Similar fun tech and material like golf with carbon fiber, ever changing standards etc. all in pursuit of improvement and setting the bar higher and higher. I was reading the comments and other than people being open about their opinions about certain bikes or changing standards etc. there was one thing that was definitely missing - The guys bitching about how stupid it is that the companies come out with new replacement models every year. And how about the guitars? We don't buy new ones because of new technology or game changing benefits, we buy new ones because they look cool or maybe sound a little different. So why is it so stupid to buy new golf clubs for the similar reasons?

The most obvious answer to that question is BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT THEY DO. I just find it funny that golfers are the only ones that complain that they get new toys and new tech to play with IF THEY CHOOSE. I know I'm not saying anything new I just want to hear from some of the haters about why they feel the need to share why they are so butthurt about it. In what industry do companies not come out with new models every year? Cars, clothing, skiing, cycling, electronics, etc. It's all the same and it's nothing new!


Would love for some of you guys to speak up because I genuinely don't understand why I read things like "This is depressing" and "I'm never buying another (name oem) club again, they release too many clubs". Can you maybe share some of your other hobbies and if you think it's stupid for them to release new models too? How do expect businesses to maintain profitability if they don't continue to release new products? I get the whole "they aren't that different" or "diminishing returns" arguments but, those same points could be made about the cars, bikes, televisions etc. and those guys never complain like the golfers.

I have friends who are into high end bikes, yes the pedal kind. I think bike enthusiasts understand that their sport is expensive and saving 1 oz is worth spending the money on. I say the following treading lightly. There is a large contingent of the golfing public that are total cheapskates who want, as they say, fine wine on a Coca Cola budget. This group seems to be bitter about the cost and cycle of new clubs. I suspect jealousy of not being able to have the best is at work. Obviously there is a huge segment, especially here who will pay for the latest tech and slightest advantage but their voice is often drowned out by the chirping of the cheapskates. It's become a Walmart, Costco world.
http://www.golfwrx.c...evaluationscom/

Please click the link above for our Sponsor area with rare and Tour only products.

18

#19 nanosg

nanosg

    Jorge Grande

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75277
  • Joined: 02/14/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 15 September 2017 - 04:00 PM

Doesn't bother me.  Companies need to make money and would hate to see more great golf companies fail.  I also think, as stated above, that the product cycles are improved, and I do think the core brands (TM, Titleist, Cally, Mizzy, Cobra, Ping) are making some awesome clubs for everyone.  Especially impressed with what is happening with irons.  In fact, I would say it is only Cally and TM that still shorten the cycle on woods to one year vs. the industry standard two years.  Avoid them if you hate the short cycle, or wait to get them cheaper, but I won't- M series and Epic are fantastic.
TM M2 9.5, Aldila Rogue Silver 60X
TM M2 15, Aldila Rogue Silver 70X
Mizuno MPH5 (3) MP-25 (4-P), Project X LZ 6.0
Mizuno T7 50/54/60, Project X LZ 6.0
SC Newport Select

19

#20 xjohnx

xjohnx

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75904
  • Joined: 02/23/2009
  • Location:NH
  • Ebay ID:xedgep90x
GolfWRX Likes : 615

Posted 15 September 2017 - 04:28 PM

View PostTollBros, on 15 September 2017 - 02:59 PM, said:

View Postxjohnx, on 06 September 2017 - 09:21 AM, said:

I'm a guy who likes cool stuff, gear, upgrades and generally has fun tinkering and trying new things. You're probably at least a little like me if you're on this site a lot. Along with golf, my two other (expensive) hobbies are Mountain Biking and Guitars. If you also have other hobbies or share some of mine then maybe you know where I'm coming from. Last night I was looking at some new mountain bikes that are coming out. For those of you who don't ride, going rate for decent to high end bikes is $3500-$10,000 these days. Yes, these are bikes that you pedal with your legs. Similar fun tech and material like golf with carbon fiber, ever changing standards etc. all in pursuit of improvement and setting the bar higher and higher. I was reading the comments and other than people being open about their opinions about certain bikes or changing standards etc. there was one thing that was definitely missing - The guys bitching about how stupid it is that the companies come out with new replacement models every year. And how about the guitars? We don't buy new ones because of new technology or game changing benefits, we buy new ones because they look cool or maybe sound a little different. So why is it so stupid to buy new golf clubs for the similar reasons?

The most obvious answer to that question is BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT THEY DO. I just find it funny that golfers are the only ones that complain that they get new toys and new tech to play with IF THEY CHOOSE. I know I'm not saying anything new I just want to hear from some of the haters about why they feel the need to share why they are so butthurt about it. In what industry do companies not come out with new models every year? Cars, clothing, skiing, cycling, electronics, etc. It's all the same and it's nothing new!


Would love for some of you guys to speak up because I genuinely don't understand why I read things like "This is depressing" and "I'm never buying another (name oem) club again, they release too many clubs". Can you maybe share some of your other hobbies and if you think it's stupid for them to release new models too? How do expect businesses to maintain profitability if they don't continue to release new products? I get the whole "they aren't that different" or "diminishing returns" arguments but, those same points could be made about the cars, bikes, televisions etc. and those guys never complain like the golfers.

I have friends who are into high end bikes, yes the pedal kind. I think bike enthusiasts understand that their sport is expensive and saving 1 oz is worth spending the money on. I say the following treading lightly. There is a large contingent of the golfing public that are total cheapskates who want, as they say, fine wine on a Coca Cola budget. This group seems to be bitter about the cost and cycle of new clubs. I suspect jealousy of not being able to have the best is at work. Obviously there is a huge segment, especially here who will pay for the latest tech and slightest advantage but their voice is often drowned out by the chirping of the cheapskates. It's become a Walmart, Costco world.

I think it's worth noting that is a grey area on the difference between knowing and thinking that saving that 1oz in weight is worth the price. I think a more noteworthy difference between golf clubs and bikes is that with bikes the up front investment is essentially the only investment. Take a moment and add up what you spend annually on membership dues/greens fees, cart fees, range balls etc. and think about how much equipment you could buy with that!


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 Matt J

Matt J

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,419 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 339857
  • Joined: 09/17/2014
  • Location:United States
GolfWRX Likes : 10639

Posted 15 September 2017 - 04:43 PM

I don't care what the manufacturers do.  But, the industry starts all this "chicken little" the sky is falling because they can't sell everyone a new set of irons every 60 days.  That's annoying.  If your model is based on snake oil then why do I care if you fail?

Then, you have the "players."  They show up with shiny new stuff and expect to play better and it doesn't really work that way.  Sure, it's fun to experiment.  Heck, it's fun to consume.  Most of us are good at it in this country, but don't expect sympathy when you can't buy a new game.

21

#22 Kapp

Kapp

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 479220
  • Joined: 08/16/2017
  • Location:Indianapolis
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 16 September 2017 - 11:47 AM

I too love technology and usually need the latest and greatest! Think the topic comes up with golf more than other things lately though because fewer younger players are attracted to the game. One of the reasons is the cost(to play, equip and everything else that goes along with it). With that being said, there are some people who would rather have a $1k iphone than the newest set of irons.
Ping G400
TM SLDR 3 HL
TM Rocketball 5W
Ping G400 4-PW
Vokey SM6 50*,54*,58*
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

22

#23 MountainKing

MountainKing

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 199340
  • Joined: 08/21/2012
  • Location:Chicago
  • Ebay ID:blackhawks1979
GolfWRX Likes : 362

Posted 16 September 2017 - 12:06 PM

View PostMtlJeff, on 06 September 2017 - 09:52 AM, said:

I think it's the lack of price protection that people don't like. It's not fun to pay 599$ for something and then see it at 249$ 6 months later.

Though to be honest I don't think the OEM's are nearly as bad about this as they used to be


That's not golf specific tho, it's like that with almost everything.....

23

#24 Oldplayer

Oldplayer

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117831
  • Joined: 11/21/2010
  • Location:Australia
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 1209

Posted 16 September 2017 - 04:20 PM

The marketing of the new tech in golf clubs causes some of the issues I think. Some add campaigns sail pretty close to the wind in terms of making false claims. A segment of the potential buyers believe every new upgrade will make their game better and their scores lower and when it doesn't resentment at being hoodwinked sets in; and they keep falling for it.
I don't know what bike guys are like but I would think most would understand that incremental tech improvements really only help the elite guys out in a real way. If an average Joe wants to improve his times workouts and training on a normal, decent bike would be the way to do it.
I think too many golfers believe that they can improve by utilizing the tech rather than training. The OEM's are only too happy to perpetuate this myth and target their marketing accordingly.

24

#25 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

    #TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 19,137 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
  • Joined: 11/01/2008
  • Location:Montreal
  • Handicap:1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 18785

Posted 16 September 2017 - 04:38 PM

View PostMountainKing, on 16 September 2017 - 12:06 PM, said:

View PostMtlJeff, on 06 September 2017 - 09:52 AM, said:

I think it's the lack of price protection that people don't like. It's not fun to pay 599$ for something and then see it at 249$ 6 months later.

Though to be honest I don't think the OEM's are nearly as bad about this as they used to be


That's not golf specific tho, it's like that with almost everything.....

I explained it earlier i think , but essentially i think with golf it was the combination of the lack of price protection with the influx of a 4-5 year period of extremely aggressive marketing. There was a brief half-decade or so where every release was "10yds longer!!!!!" , OEMs went through a lot of trouble doing viral marketing combined with "real looking" commercials of players hitting balls on the range and seeing massive gains.

So guys would pay 599$ for a driver, not hit it that much further if at all, and then 6 months later it was 249$ and the same OEM was saying the same thing for the next release. Granted some (all?) of this is the fault of the consumer of course, no one is putting a gun to their head. But i think a lot of people felt tricked and it hurt consumer confidence especially with early adopters, some OEMs even pretty much admitted this

I think it's different to some other things. I mentioned clothing. I recently bought a Ralph Lauren suit at a big discount , but the difference is when that suit was new Ralph Lauren didn't say it was the best suit ever and would get me 10% better business results than previous suits. People understand clothing models a bit better now....golf took some people by storm the past decade

Callaway Epic Subzero 8 w/Diamana D+ 70
Callaway XR Pro 14 w/Diamana D+ 80
Callaway Steelhead XR 3 iron w/S300
Callaway Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
Callaway MD Forged 52,56,60 w/S200
Odyssey Versa Works 1W Tank

25

#26 TollBros

TollBros

    Overseer of the Test Range

  • Sponsors
  • 2,200 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 438250
  • Joined: 08/25/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 1601

Posted 16 September 2017 - 08:15 PM

View Postxjohnx, on 15 September 2017 - 04:28 PM, said:

View PostTollBros, on 15 September 2017 - 02:59 PM, said:

View Postxjohnx, on 06 September 2017 - 09:21 AM, said:

I'm a guy who likes cool stuff, gear, upgrades and generally has fun tinkering and trying new things. You're probably at least a little like me if you're on this site a lot. Along with golf, my two other (expensive) hobbies are Mountain Biking and Guitars. If you also have other hobbies or share some of mine then maybe you know where I'm coming from. Last night I was looking at some new mountain bikes that are coming out. For those of you who don't ride, going rate for decent to high end bikes is $3500-$10,000 these days. Yes, these are bikes that you pedal with your legs. Similar fun tech and material like golf with carbon fiber, ever changing standards etc. all in pursuit of improvement and setting the bar higher and higher. I was reading the comments and other than people being open about their opinions about certain bikes or changing standards etc. there was one thing that was definitely missing - The guys bitching about how stupid it is that the companies come out with new replacement models every year. And how about the guitars? We don't buy new ones because of new technology or game changing benefits, we buy new ones because they look cool or maybe sound a little different. So why is it so stupid to buy new golf clubs for the similar reasons?

The most obvious answer to that question is BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT THEY DO. I just find it funny that golfers are the only ones that complain that they get new toys and new tech to play with IF THEY CHOOSE. I know I'm not saying anything new I just want to hear from some of the haters about why they feel the need to share why they are so butthurt about it. In what industry do companies not come out with new models every year? Cars, clothing, skiing, cycling, electronics, etc. It's all the same and it's nothing new!


Would love for some of you guys to speak up because I genuinely don't understand why I read things like "This is depressing" and "I'm never buying another (name oem) club again, they release too many clubs". Can you maybe share some of your other hobbies and if you think it's stupid for them to release new models too? How do expect businesses to maintain profitability if they don't continue to release new products? I get the whole "they aren't that different" or "diminishing returns" arguments but, those same points could be made about the cars, bikes, televisions etc. and those guys never complain like the golfers.

I have friends who are into high end bikes, yes the pedal kind. I think bike enthusiasts understand that their sport is expensive and saving 1 oz is worth spending the money on. I say the following treading lightly. There is a large contingent of the golfing public that are total cheapskates who want, as they say, fine wine on a Coca Cola budget. This group seems to be bitter about the cost and cycle of new clubs. I suspect jealousy of not being able to have the best is at work. Obviously there is a huge segment, especially here who will pay for the latest tech and slightest advantage but their voice is often drowned out by the chirping of the cheapskates. It's become a Walmart, Costco world.

I think it's worth noting that is a grey area on the difference between knowing and thinking that saving that 1oz in weight is worth the price. I think a more noteworthy difference between golf clubs and bikes is that with bikes the up front investment is essentially the only investment. Take a moment and add up what you spend annually on membership dues/greens fees, cart fees, range balls etc. and think about how much equipment you could buy with that!

I have one friend who flew to Italy to be fit for his new bike and everything that comes with it. I believe he spent over $20,000 on the process, and does this every couple of years with complaining about the cost at all. He rides competitively, but is never going to compete in a Tour De France. It's his passion and he's looking for every tiny advantage to help him enjoy his passion more. He also realizes that these bikes are fit for HIM, and basically have a very small resale value in comparison to his investment. It's all about his passion and his personal enjoyment. He calls it a "quality of life" purchase. If more golfers simply looked at equipment each season as helping them enjoy the game more, whether in scoring, or just the enjoyment of having and trying new things, less would complain. Golf is not an inexpensive sport, but it can be played on a budget by those content to play municipal golf and keep equipment for a decade. I think the issue comes in when people who cannot truly afford to buy and try with no regard to cost, attempt to do just that and then resell. People don't buy tv's like that, computers like that, furnature like that. I don't understand the obsession with resale value when it comes to golf clubs. Buy them, use them, and if you want to resell at some point, understand they will be worth pennies on the dollar. If you can't accept that, then you should probably buy clubs every decade or so and use them until they wear out.
http://www.golfwrx.c...evaluationscom/

Please click the link above for our Sponsor area with rare and Tour only products.

26

#27 shart6

shart6

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 364875
  • Joined: 03/03/2015
  • Location:Scottsdale
  • Handicap:5.8
  • Ebay ID:shart6
GolfWRX Likes : 42

Posted 16 September 2017 - 11:03 PM

View Postxjohnx, on 06 September 2017 - 09:21 AM, said:

I'm a guy who likes cool stuff, gear, upgrades and generally has fun tinkering and trying new things. You're probably at least a little like me if you're on this site a lot. Along with golf, my two other (expensive) hobbies are Mountain Biking and Guitars. If you also have other hobbies or share some of mine then maybe you know where I'm coming from. Last night I was looking at some new mountain bikes that are coming out. For those of you who don't ride, going rate for decent to high end bikes is $3500-$10,000 these days. Yes, these are bikes that you pedal with your legs. Similar fun tech and material like golf with carbon fiber, ever changing standards etc. all in pursuit of improvement and setting the bar higher and higher. I was reading the comments and other than people being open about their opinions about certain bikes or changing standards etc. there was one thing that was definitely missing - The guys bitching about how stupid it is that the companies come out with new replacement models every year. And how about the guitars? We don't buy new ones because of new technology or game changing benefits, we buy new ones because they look cool or maybe sound a little different. So why is it so stupid to buy new golf clubs for the similar reasons?

The most obvious answer to that question is BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT THEY DO. I just find it funny that golfers are the only ones that complain that they get new toys and new tech to play with IF THEY CHOOSE. I know I'm not saying anything new I just want to hear from some of the haters about why they feel the need to share why they are so butthurt about it. In what industry do companies not come out with new models every year? Cars, clothing, skiing, cycling, electronics, etc. It's all the same and it's nothing new!


Would love for some of you guys to speak up because I genuinely don't understand why I read things like "This is depressing" and "I'm never buying another (name oem) club again, they release too many clubs". Can you maybe share some of your other hobbies and if you think it's stupid for them to release new models too? How do expect businesses to maintain profitability if they don't continue to release new products? I get the whole "they aren't that different" or "diminishing returns" arguments but, those same points could be made about the cars, bikes, televisions etc. and those guys never complain like the golfers.

Well let's see I won't buy a stereo speaker unless they have been made for at least 10 years. Amps at least five years. As for bikes my favorite was my son's cross bike. Great fit, love bar end shifters and 10 gears were plenty. It was built from a leftover national team frame made of steel.

I'm not one of the complainers but I have to wonder what is really better than my old Ansers with lead tape in the cavity? I was on the fancy cameras and other high tech fitting equipment a couple of years ago. They couldn't find anything better.
Driver Taylormade R9 10.5 Kai'li 60 stiff
Taylormade R7 HFS 15 Matrix HD Radix 7321 stiff
Taylormade R7 HFS 17.5 Matrix HD Radix 7321 stiff
Taylormade R7 HFS 20 stiff
Irons 1985 Ping Eye 2 irons 4-L Orange Color Code Dynamic Gold shafts
Putter 1973 Ping Anser 85020 zip code

27

#28 Jungleland

Jungleland

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 445486
  • Joined: 11/02/2016
  • Location:Scottsdale, AZ
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 67

Posted 16 September 2017 - 11:08 PM

There is something mental about complaining about releases. No one is forcing you too buy and from a company perceptive it's their call how to allocate their resources and cash. Why get upset about something that has effect on your life, that is like being an old lady

28

#29 18thbunker

18thbunker

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 143863
  • Joined: 10/24/2011
  • Location:Denver
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 16 September 2017 - 11:51 PM

Interesting thread....

The golf industry will crash without folks who want the greatest and latest..... So from a golf equipment company........let us study how long these folks get used to the latest purchase....then bam.....release the 'improved' version of those clubs.
driver - Callaway Xhot Pro 10.5
hybrid - Callaway Xhot Pro 16/20 degrees
Irons - 3-pw Wilson FG Tour
wedges Mizuno MP-T4 56 & 60. Mizuno MP-T5 - 50
putter - Ping Anser Milled #6
need to spend more range time to hit MP-68 again

29

#30 RogerinNewZealand

RogerinNewZealand

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 145241
  • Joined: 11/03/2011
  • Location:Maungakeikei Auckland New Zealand
GolfWRX Likes : 551

Posted 17 September 2017 - 12:46 AM

When i was Mountain Biking over 15 years ago , spent$4,500, i met a guy in the Forest who had his Husky Dog running after him for exercise. Love those dogs !!!

Anyway, i then spent $4000 on a road bike with mid level Campag gear and only sold it 19 months ago
so huge value for money !!Have another lined up at $100 so Cycle Hoing may be starting soon.

With Golf, i like rebuilding and having older stuff, simple as that.
Earlier today i spotted a 2013 Callaway Legacy 5 wood, mint cover, 661 speeder for a great price.
I bought a 2007 TM Burner 3 wood 3 months ago with a Tour AD BB6S for $40........
I hide it under a Mint TM Burner Bubble head cover......
Have V Steel 5 and 7 and will reshaft with Diamana Redboard or a PL Platinum or a Speeder.
Frequent releases mean more old stuff is moved on. Yee Haa!!

September  Mid   2017  

Titleist 905R YS6 or  905R Speeder or 909D2 Matrix
TM Burner 2008 3 wood
TM V Steel  in 3  and 5 and 7 woods

Irons  2009 Callaway X Forged Soft Stepped DGS 300

SM5  48F  54F  60M
ClevelandMallet C S Milled at 35inches

Orange Callaway Bag arriving......

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors