Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

golf ball affect of a draw.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cpouley

cpouley

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 213181
  • Ebay ID:cpouley
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 05 September 2017 - 10:23 PM

Hey guys.  Quick question and request for advice.  I play to a 7 or so.  Though not that great lately.  I typically draw the ball.  Been playing a previous generation Pro V1.  Ok.  So here is the question.  My miss has lately been over drawing the ball.  Not a snap hook.  The ball just keeps drawing.  Am I playing a ball that spins too much, thus draws too much?  Would switching help?  Or is it just a flaw in my swing that I need to correct? I know I am not on the lesson tee so you can't really tell me absolutes.  My swing speed with a driver is 100-105 or so and I hit my 8 iron 155.  Thanks guys.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Kenny Lee Puckett

Kenny Lee Puckett

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,780 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 379660
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 1982

Posted 05 September 2017 - 10:36 PM

the answer to your basic question is yes. an advanced premium ball will have slightly more curvature compared to a less complicated 2 piece ball.
https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be  video on course practice 5/2016

Ping G LST: Aldila Rogue Tour Ltd. Edition 125 MSI
Ping Anser 4wd: Accra S3-80 RT
PXG 0317 Hybrid: Fujikura 8D07HB

Ping i25 4 iron: Dynamic Gold
Ping S55 5-PW: Dynamic Gold Tour Issue
Ping Glide 50SS/54SS/58SS: DG T.I.
Ping Anser F Ti pixel
Ping Sensor glove/Bridgestone B330S
Ping Hoofer 2016 bag

#3 North Butte

North Butte

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
  • Handicap:9.9
GolfWRX Likes : 3073

Posted 06 September 2017 - 03:04 PM

View PostKenny Lee Puckett, on 05 September 2017 - 10:36 PM, said:

the answer to your basic question is yes. an advanced premium ball will have slightly more curvature compared to a less complicated 2 piece ball.

Emphasis on "slightly".

But it's not really to do with construction but with total spin. A ball that spins more may slightly curve more on hooks or slices. But that's a matter of total overall spin, not the number of layers.

Off a driver the "premium" balls tend to spin only a few hundred rpm more than typical "distance" balls. Total spin of 3,000rpm versus 2,700rpm is not going to equate to a noticeable difference in curvature.

Edited by North Butte, 06 September 2017 - 03:06 PM.

A sensible man will realize that the eyes may be confused in two ways---by a change from light to darkness or from darkness to light; and he will recognize the same thing happens to the soul.

--Plato

#4 Kenny Lee Puckett

Kenny Lee Puckett

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,780 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 379660
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 1982

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:24 PM

View PostNorth Butte, on 06 September 2017 - 03:04 PM, said:

View PostKenny Lee Puckett, on 05 September 2017 - 10:36 PM, said:

Emphasis on "slightly".

But it's not really to do with construction but with total spin. A ball that spins more may slightly curve more on hooks or slices. But that's a matter of​ overall spin, not the number of layers.

Off a driver the "premium" balls tend to spin only a few hundred rpm more than typical "distance" balls. Total spin of 3,000rpm versus 2,700rpm is not going to equate to a noticeable difference in curvature.
some really puzzling statements.

the construction of the balls is exactly what makes them act differently. and why a premium ball with a core, mantle layers, and a Urethane cover is totally different than a large core, Surlyn cover Two-piece ball.
https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be  video on course practice 5/2016

Ping G LST: Aldila Rogue Tour Ltd. Edition 125 MSI
Ping Anser 4wd: Accra S3-80 RT
PXG 0317 Hybrid: Fujikura 8D07HB

Ping i25 4 iron: Dynamic Gold
Ping S55 5-PW: Dynamic Gold Tour Issue
Ping Glide 50SS/54SS/58SS: DG T.I.
Ping Anser F Ti pixel
Ping Sensor glove/Bridgestone B330S
Ping Hoofer 2016 bag

#5 North Butte

North Butte

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
  • Handicap:9.9
GolfWRX Likes : 3073

Posted 06 September 2017 - 07:30 PM

In terms of driver spin most balls of those two types have very similar spin rates.

There were two piece Surlyn balls back before the ProV1 that spun like the dickens off drivers and irons. Played like rocks around the greens but way too much driver spin.

Most f the high tech features are to produce spin separation. Low driver spin, high spin around the greens. They have gotten so good at that in the past decade that ProV1 class balls spin only very slightly more off a driver than a SuperSoft or Duo.

So I repeat, what matters is not the ball construction. What matters is how much it spins in the particular application you are concerned with. If driver, they are more alike than different. On irons then yes the urethane ball generally spins more than Surlyn ones but there are exceptions.

A sensible man will realize that the eyes may be confused in two ways---by a change from light to darkness or from darkness to light; and he will recognize the same thing happens to the soul.

--Plato

#6 JPW75

JPW75

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 472074
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 06 September 2017 - 07:31 PM

Why not try a cheap two piece like Wilson 50 as an experiment?  The results should speak for themselves?

#7 jslane57

jslane57

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 426950
  • Handicap:<5
GolfWRX Likes : 1950

Posted 06 September 2017 - 07:36 PM

The ball absolutely matters. But changing it is not your answer. Overdrawing the ball could be many things. I'd start with basics. Address, alignment, takeaway, finish. Then see an instructor:)
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" -Einstein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors