Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Dana Dahlquist Golf Academy

32 replies to this topic

#1 royourboat

royourboat

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85293
GolfWRX Likes : 112

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:14 AM

Anybody else been studying this, the information is gold, the lessons with a "DD certified" guy are really good too. The guy offered to redo the lesson if I couldn't understand it and answers emails of questions and followup videos to make sure I'm executing it. I had a mighty breakthough in my second lesson today and I'm hooked now.

I would be curious to hear of anyone else struggling or succeeding with it?

I like to tee the ball up.. using man sized clubs.

View PostMonteScheinblum, on 09 June 2017 - 12:16 AM, said:

View Postmothman65, on 09 June 2017 - 12:09 AM, said:

Is Melbourne getting any closer to happening Momte?

Still need some more, but it's pretty likely I'll come.  Just don't know when yet.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 dodger

dodger

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7038
GolfWRX Likes : 82

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:39 PM

I did for a month and then discontinued. I paid extra for the swing lesson and sent them off, never got a response so I discontinued it. Same thing happened with Scott Hamilton's site. I wish these instructors would be more careful with what their time constraints are when they set these things up. I liked the site for the video instruction, but not getting lesson back put me off. Glad it worked for you.

#3 MPStrat

MPStrat

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 321019
GolfWRX Likes : 236

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:53 PM

Lots of really good golf swing education there. He has been posting a new video every day answering member questions. Three main patterns he'll be covering on the site. Inline, CP and Inside Out. To be clear, he says that these patterns are wide open and that many are hybrids of these basic models.

The pattern he prefers for amateurs is his inline pattern. This is the pattern that he has discussed in detail with Be Better Golf ("concentric" pattern, neutral tilts, shaft bisects mid humerus at p5)

CP Pattern -- alex noren, robert rock, daniel im (pull fade/pull draw/pull pattern, pressure left early, hold angle, straighten the right arm, swing down and across), He doesn't recommend this pattern unless you have a lot of speed because it's "down and across" making launch conditions with driver suboptimal or as Dana says "not typically a bombers pattern"

Inside out - trevino, rory, grant waite (open stance is common, shaft doesn't shallow a ton early, right elbow often behind right hip at p6, swing to right field/cf release)

very oversimplified descriptions on my part

#4 kyle75

kyle75

Tour Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 553 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 238521
GolfWRX Likes : 331

Posted 06 September 2017 - 12:44 PM

I might have to check his site again.  I liked his early content, just thought a lot of it was too brief.

#5 MPStrat

MPStrat

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 01:03 PM

kyle75, on 06 September 2017 - 12:44 PM, said:

I might have to check his site again.  I liked his early content, just thought a lot of it was too brief.

That is the one criticism I still have.. much of it is still very brief. It's definitely not a finished product IMO. With the wealth of information he has to share I think it will take some time. Eventually I think it will grow to be a great site.

#6 zenny

zenny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 227965
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 06 September 2017 - 01:26 PM

stayed with him for 2 months.  can't handle the chopped up 1 minute bites which is all you get.  NO FLOW to the site and carpal tunnel from all the clicking.

#7 kyle75

kyle75

Tour Winner

• 553 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 01:47 PM

MPStrat, on 06 September 2017 - 01:03 PM, said:

kyle75, on 06 September 2017 - 12:44 PM, said:

That is the one criticism I still have.. much of it is still very brief. It's definitely not a finished product IMO. With the wealth of information he has to share I think it will take some time. Eventually I think it will grow to be a great site.
He really needs to do his vids more like GG, be a lot more in depth with all of his explanations.  Show the right way and the wrong way.  For the price he's charging, I'm not sure you're getting your money's worth right now.

#8 mschu24

mschu24

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 281873
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 06 September 2017 - 02:02 PM

MPStrat, on 05 September 2017 - 12:53 PM, said:

Lots of really good golf swing education there. He has been posting a new video every day answering member questions. Three main patterns he'll be covering on the site. Inline, CP and Inside Out. To be clear, he says that these patterns are wide open and that many are hybrids of these basic models.

The pattern he prefers for amateurs is his inline pattern. This is the pattern that he has discussed in detail with Be Better Golf ("concentric" pattern, neutral tilts, shaft bisects mid humerus at p5)

CP Pattern -- alex noren, robert rock, daniel im (pull fade/pull draw/pull pattern, pressure left early, hold angle, straighten the right arm, swing down and across), He doesn't recommend this pattern unless you have a lot of speed because it's "down and across" making launch conditions with driver suboptimal or as Dana says "not typically a bombers pattern"

Inside out - trevino, rory, grant waite (open stance is common, shaft doesn't shallow a ton early, right elbow often behind right hip at p6, swing to right field/cf release)

Who would be an inline pattern guy?

#9 MPStrat

MPStrat

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 03:21 PM

mschu24, on 06 September 2017 - 02:02 PM, said:

MPStrat, on 05 September 2017 - 12:53 PM, said:

Who would be an inline pattern guy?

He doesn't mention any by name on the site.

This is a pretty stock inline guy:
https://www.instagra.../p/BVpnMbXDDps/

#10 MPStrat

MPStrat

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 03:32 PM

https://www.instagra...y=danadahlquist

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 carrera

carrera

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139
GolfWRX Likes : 190

Posted 06 September 2017 - 04:12 PM

Not related to his site, but I stopped following him on instagram because he just showed videos of swings with no commentary (even a sentence) about what the student was working on.  Dan's IG posts are great in that respect.

#12 drewtaylor21

drewtaylor21

Goodie Bags or Death

• 2,508 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 285110
  • Handicap:+1
GolfWRX Likes : 2789

Posted 06 September 2017 - 05:22 PM

Agreed with what's been said above, the site has some good content, but overall it is very simplified and feels like DD is holding back quite a bit.  Personally I've been enjoying his live lessons on Instagram a lot more.  I think over the shoulder videos are a great way to see how an instructor handles different swing patterns and you really start to see what their preferences are and how to achieve them.
Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Silver Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
2016 M2 5w (Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70x)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-PW (KBS Tour S)
Cleveland 588 RTX 51* and 56* (S300) Vokey SM5 60 M Grind (wedge flex)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x/Snell MTB/ProV1x/B330

https://instagram.com/hurryupgolf/

#13 kyle75

kyle75

Tour Winner

• 553 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:53 PM

The lessons he has on his Facebook page are really good.  Almost more info in those than the ones on his site.

#14 Galanga

Galanga

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1082
  • Handicap:4-6
GolfWRX Likes : 65

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:30 AM

Paid for online lesson pre site.  Chased him for over a month to get some response. He obviously has the stuff but delivery to pupil imay not always be optimal. Busy guy Seems a great guy with tremendous knowledge - tip of the cap to that.
  • Cobra King LTD Pro Aldila Elements Fire 60 S
  • Callaway GBB Epic SZ 3+ at 14.5; Aldila RIP Beta S 70
  • Callaway GBB Epic SZ 5 at 18; Aldila RIP Beta S 70
  • Titleist 712U 4 and 3 iron (bent to be strong 5 and 4 irons); Modus 130 R HS1
  • Mizuno MP-64 9-6; Modus 130 R HS1
  • Mizuno MP-64 PW & Callaway MD3 50, 54 (W) and 58 (PM); Modus 130 R (37")
  • Wilson 100 Anniversary Milled 8802; 34.5 inch; Iomic Putter Standard 65 gm
  • Iron & Wood Grips: GP NDMC+4 Mid

#15 Billy Baroo

Billy Baroo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 435758
  • Handicap:1
GolfWRX Likes : 50

Posted 07 September 2017 - 04:02 AM

There is nothing there that you cannot find on this forum. From someone who used to preach Morad stuff, then Stack and Tilt, he's now moved on to the flavor of the month swing where the golfer spins, squats, and hoods the clubface in transition. He is a method teacher and the swings of his students all look the same.

Maybe.....Yessir!

#16 royourboat

royourboat

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85293
GolfWRX Likes : 112

Posted 07 September 2017 - 05:48 AM

I'll agree with some down points about the format of many short videos, but if you compare it to Monte's Drive 4 Dough (2 videos, very long, lots of content) and Dan Whittakers new video (~15 videos, not long, small amount of content) then it's kind of a take on the authors style and desire to present. You can easily say, I wish Monte broke it down into parts more or Dan W should have put in more content but really that's attacking the authors preference to communicate. Point being, there isn't a right answer, is there?

I've been meaning to go back study the tidbits of information you get on the different styles. I thought McIlroy/Scott were supposed to be inline patterns?

drewtaylor21 didn't you have lessons with him in person?
I like to tee the ball up.. using man sized clubs.

View PostMonteScheinblum, on 09 June 2017 - 12:16 AM, said:

View Postmothman65, on 09 June 2017 - 12:09 AM, said:

Is Melbourne getting any closer to happening Momte?

Still need some more, but it's pretty likely I'll come.  Just don't know when yet.

#17 gators78

gators78

Major Winner

• 3,615 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121638
  • Handicap:2.3
GolfWRX Likes : 753

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:19 AM

Lots of really good info if you want to learn about his method, and certainly appreciate how a lot of pros are getting better posting great material...however I'm now on like membership site four and still haven't found a way to get from theory > to watching a video > diagnosing my problems > to my swing application.

Most of that is my problem and not the instructors, but in general I think if a lesson is not interactive, the YouTube golf instructor (for lack of a better term) extremely hard to process and ingrain.
M2
M2 3W, Hybrid
1957 Blades (I blame you, WRX)
Vokeys
Edel

#18 John Kreese

John Kreese

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125579
GolfWRX Likes : 41

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:35 AM

Just a warning - I had to open a dispute with my bank to prevent the monthly charges from going through after I cancelled.  I cancelled through the procedure listed on their website and sent several other emails to address I found on the site.  Never got a response.  My suggestion is to stay away.

#19 robbohank

robbohank

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37550
GolfWRX Likes : 77

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:48 AM

John Kreese, on 07 September 2017 - 08:35 AM, said:

Just a warning - I had to open a dispute with my bank to prevent the monthly charges from going through after I cancelled.  I cancelled through the procedure listed on their website and sent several other emails to address I found on the site.  Never got a response.  My suggestion is to stay away.

Is this through "Online Academy of Golf" or "DanaDahlquist.com"?  I'm having a similar issue with the "Online Academy of Golf" and it appears there are several others based on complaints to the FTC. They hit you with a $9.95 monthly fee that's buried in fine print. I believe this is different than danadahlquist.com

#20 John Kreese

John Kreese

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:08 AM

robbohank, on 07 September 2017 - 08:48 AM, said:

Is this through "Online Academy of Golf" or "DanaDahlquist.com"?  I'm having a similar issue with the "Online Academy of Golf" and it appears there are several others based on complaints to the FTC. They hit you with a $9.95 monthly fee that's buried in fine print. I believe this is different than danadahlquist.com

Its Dana's website - danadahlquistgolf.com.  Luckily my bank credited my account and took up the dispute directly with them.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 robbohank

robbohank

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37550
GolfWRX Likes : 77

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:25 AM

John Kreese, on 07 September 2017 - 09:08 AM, said:

Its Dana's website - danadahlquistgolf.com.  Luckily my bank credited my account and took up the dispute directly with them.

I don't understand how reputable instructors (Dana is certainly one of them) can have an internet presence that has basic issues such as not following thru with on-line lessons or handling subscription cancellations. Surely the prominent ones can afford a part-time administrator to stay on top of things that are key to customer satisfaction. Maybe it's growing pains or time limitations but it's bad optics.

What's that saying...."a satisfied customer will tell 3 people, a dissatisfied one will tell 3000".

#22 John Kreese

John Kreese

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:34 AM

robbohank, on 07 September 2017 - 09:25 AM, said:

John Kreese, on 07 September 2017 - 09:08 AM, said:

I don't understand how reputable instructors (Dana is certainly one of them) can have an internet presence that has basic issues such as not following thru with on-line lessons or handling subscription cancellations. Surely the prominent ones can afford a part-time administrator to stay on top of things that are key to customer satisfaction. Maybe it's growing pains or time limitations but it's bad optics.

What's that saying...."a satisfied customer will tell 3 people, a dissatisfied one will tell 3000".

Yeah, given all the positive feedback I hear about his teaching, I was shocked that this happened.  It's really too bad.

I started to suspect something was up when I never got a confirmation that my subscription was cancelled.  Then, proactively/before the next payment was scheduled to come out, I emailed them separately to request confirmation.  Then tried contacting a third time directly through his site.  Still nothing.  I bent over backwards and nobody there could be troubled to respond.  By the end it felt like a scam

#23 nevets88

nevets88

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37510
  • Ebay ID:na
GolfWRX Likes : 73

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:42 AM

I subscribed to his site before it officially went online, was charged, notified his admins and they credited me back and I signed up w/o any problems when it was officially online. I should have known not to sign up initially as he hadn't made any official announcements on his social media, so that was my fault.

If you've been following his social media/YouTube, the content on his pay site is basically more detailed but a lot of content I haven't seen before. I got a lot out of his videos and also sent in swings for a lesson w/Dana Dahlquist himself, which obviously is not cheap, but thought it was worth it, although the video lesson he sent me back wasn't in the traditional format where he's talking while scrubbing through your swing, they were sort of "canned" videos, but they were very effective, so call me a happy camper. I've unsubscribed to his site after 3 months because I went through all the videos although he's been continually adding more. Will probably sign up for a month next year to go over the new content.

Edited by nevets88, 07 September 2017 - 09:45 AM.

#24 drewtaylor21

drewtaylor21

Goodie Bags or Death

• 2,508 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:15 PM

royourboat, on 07 September 2017 - 05:48 AM, said:

I'll agree with some down points about the format of many short videos, but if you compare it to Monte's Drive 4 Dough (2 videos, very long, lots of content) and Dan Whittakers new video (~15 videos, not long, small amount of content) then it's kind of a take on the authors style and desire to present. You can easily say, I wish Monte broke it down into parts more or Dan W should have put in more content but really that's attacking the authors preference to communicate. Point being, there isn't a right answer, is there?

I've been meaning to go back study the tidbits of information you get on the different styles. I thought McIlroy/Scott were supposed to be inline patterns?

Yeah I took a couple of in-person lessons with him last year
Spider Tour Platinum 35"

#25 powerpushfade

powerpushfade

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 439702
GolfWRX Likes : 140

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:24 PM

drewtaylor21, on 07 September 2017 - 12:15 PM, said:

royourboat, on 07 September 2017 - 05:48 AM, said:

Yeah I took a couple of in-person lessons with him last year
Not very memorable?

#26 sethdavidsdad

sethdavidsdad

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105964
  • Handicap:4.0
GolfWRX Likes : 347

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:43 PM

I just signed up this month. Wanted to watch the videos. I wish the videos had a autoplay option. Get tired of clicking a new video every minute. Good info wish he had more live lessons on the site. Love watching the over the shoulder lessons. Weird that he doesn’t include more of them on his site. Who is  the team member lessons with? Anyone know the instructor? I thought about going that route.
Epic 10.5* Diamana D+ 70X
TM Mini driver 14*
TM Jetspeed 5 wood, TM 4 Hybrid
Mizuno MP5 P-5 Nippon 120x
Ping Ketsch slight arch
Ping Glide Wedges 52,56,60
WITB Link
@golfingasu

#27 sethdavidsdad

sethdavidsdad

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105964
  • Handicap:4.0
GolfWRX Likes : 347

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:53 PM

Hate to hear that. Hope they fixed that.
Epic 10.5* Diamana D+ 70X
TM Mini driver 14*
TM Jetspeed 5 wood, TM 4 Hybrid
Mizuno MP5 P-5 Nippon 120x
Ping Ketsch slight arch
Ping Glide Wedges 52,56,60
WITB Link
@golfingasu

#28 drewtaylor21

drewtaylor21

Goodie Bags or Death

• 2,508 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 01:45 AM

sethdavidsdad, on 07 September 2017 - 09:43 PM, said:

I just signed up this month. Wanted to watch the videos. I wish the videos had a autoplay option. Get tired of clicking a new video every minute. Good info wish he had more live lessons on the site. Love watching the over the shoulder lessons. Weird that he doesn’t include more of them on his site. Who is  the team member lessons with? Anyone know the instructor? I thought about going that route.

I know one of them is Josh Koch, who I've heard some really good things about.  I've been PM'ing with another WRX member who did the online lesson route with him and loved it.  I'll see if I can get him to jump in here and share his experience.
Spider Tour Platinum 35"

#29 SA790

SA790

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 265522
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 08 September 2017 - 05:53 AM

drewtaylor21, on 08 September 2017 - 01:45 AM, said:

sethdavidsdad, on 07 September 2017 - 09:43 PM, said:

I know one of them is Josh Koch, who I've heard some really good things about.  I've been PM'ing with another WRX member who did the online lesson route with him and loved it.  I'll see if I can get him to jump in here and share his experience.

I joined the website and agree with everyone, the information on there is very good; however, application of the information can be harder. GGs website is very good at showing match ups and how to apply his videos as well as some feels to use. To get the full value from Dana's website you have to do an online lesson. I did 1 with Dana and shot my lowest score ever the week after. The video lessons are great and he points you to 4 or 5 videos on the website to focus on as well as drills to complete.

I was pretty hooked. My swing issue was always that my right arm was too straight at impact and shoulders and hips too closed. Dana's "preferences" are the opposite, so i figured it can't hurt to try.

Dana is crazy busy and turnaround time on the lessons is long. So in needing a follow up lesson, I elected to have a lesson "with someone from Dana's team"- I asked who this was and received this email from his support group: "JoshKoch is doing the other online lessons right now. His instagram is @joshkochgolfinstruction if you want to check him out. He was a long time student of Dana's and has spent countless hours learning from and observing Dana. He has transitioned from playing to teaching in the last 2 years. Very smart guy in regards to understanding human movement as it relates to the golf swing. Let us know if you have an more questions."

So I sent in a video lesson to Josh and was AMAZED by his knowledge of the swing. I had some free time past 3 weeks as I was transitioning jobs, so I took a trip to see Josh in person. It was so worth it. He's a young guy and his knowledge and teaching doesn't reflect that he hasn't been doing this long. Right after the lesson, I'm hitting the ball so much better and have and shot my 2 best rounds and there is still a lot of improvement to be made on the range. On the course it's pretty much no swing thoughts and just performing an athletic and dymanic motion with body- the arms and hands will react to this.

I would definitely recommend Josh for online video lessons or in person lessons.

#30 bd59

bd59

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 127312
GolfWRX Likes : 85

Posted 11 September 2017 - 01:52 PM

I did an online lesson with Dana.  Very cool dude and knows a lot about the golf swing, but his online business is awful. I know he's busy and he's definitely too busy for online lessons. He just can't give enough time to justify the $150 for online. He sent back 3 videos on what to fix, a 10 second clip, a 40 and 25 second clip.  No swing analysis or nothing on my videos I sent in.  I've sent 2 emails regarding the lesson and no response.  I'd stay away from the online as of now.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors