Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Players whose ball striking is mortal

109 replies to this topic

#91 roll - gybe

roll - gybe

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59949
GolfWRX Likes : 92

Posted 08 September 2017 - 11:02 PM

Not the right answer: I watched Tiger at the range at the Barclays on one of his comebacks. He was hitting 2 irons like a crazed 16 handicapper. He was hitting a ball every 22 seconds.  People were everywhere. He was clanking it, striping it, it was like watching Kurt Cobain.

Then at the 2014 US Open I sat at a tee box for a short par 4 dogleg and watched about 6 players shank 2 irons. Snedeker. Kooch. Stenson. All in contention. At that open I watched a par 3 where I thought Spieth hit the worst sounding ball of the bunch. He thinned a hybrid.  Everyone else hit an iron.

DJ was in contention and puring it. But he was stone hands on the greens. Not exactly clanking it, but something was not working properly.

I also watched Cabrera and Gossen duff chips shots at that par 3. Cabrera duffed 2. The Kaymer wedge was sort of genius.

Edited by roll - gybe, 08 September 2017 - 11:06 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#92 fowlerscousin

fowlerscousin

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 278691
GolfWRX Likes : 167

Posted 08 September 2017 - 11:15 PM

View Postroll - gybe, on 08 September 2017 - 11:02 PM, said:

Not the right answer: I watched Tiger at the range at the Barclays on one of his comebacks. He was hitting 2 irons like a crazed 16 handicapper. He was hitting a ball every 22 seconds.  People were everywhere. He was clanking it, striping it, it was like watching Kurt Cobain.

Then at the 2014 US Open I sat at a tee box for a short par 4 dogleg and watched about 6 players shank 2 irons. Snedeker. Kooch. Stenson. All in contention. At that open I watched a par 3 where I thought Spieth hit the worst sounding ball of the bunch. He thinned a hybrid.  Everyone else hit an iron.

DJ was in contention and puring it. But he was stone hands on the greens. Not exactly clanking it, but something was not working properly.

I also watched Cabrera and Gossen duff chips shots at that par 3. Cabrera duffed 2. The Kaymer wedge was sort of genius.

That's strange, I've never seen a pro on the range struggle with ball striking. But I've only mostly watched practice days.

#93 b.helts

b.helts

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100214
GolfWRX Likes : 1974

Posted 08 September 2017 - 11:16 PM

Phantasmagorical. I.E. WTF?!?!?!

#94 iBanesto

iBanesto

Niclas Fasth

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,251 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18328
GolfWRX Likes : 714

Posted 08 September 2017 - 11:56 PM

How about Bobby Locke?

Played with a hook but was an amazing putter.

#95 EKELLY

EKELLY

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 405114
  • Handicap:+2
  • Ebay ID:edwardkellyed
GolfWRX Likes : 961

Posted 09 September 2017 - 09:24 AM

I followed Seve around Augusta in 86, the year he GAVE Jack his last major. The guy hit it left, right, popped one up, still broke par. After the round, all he said was. "I didn't putt well"......That was Seve........LOL

#96 lowheel

lowheel

LOWHEEL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193008
GolfWRX Likes : 1297

Posted 09 September 2017 - 03:47 PM

View PostKrazyTrain18, on 04 September 2017 - 09:39 PM, said:

Jordan Spieth isn't as far from this discussion as some would like to believe.

Posted Image

#97 lowheel

lowheel

LOWHEEL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193008
GolfWRX Likes : 1297

Posted 09 September 2017 - 03:54 PM

View Postfowlerscousin, on 08 September 2017 - 11:15 PM, said:

That's strange, I've never seen a pro on the range struggle with ball striking. But I've only mostly watched practice days.

You need to watch more then. Alot of guys struggle on the range and have rough warm up sessions. Ive shot my best rounds doing just that. leaving the range saying WTF am i going to do today. Matsuyama was hitting 30-40 yard pulls and pushes  during his sunday warmup at firestone this year and was very frustrated and shot i think a 62 or 63 when he teed up. Hitting balls and playing golf are not always the same ask any pro. Same goes for putting warmup.

#98 playa

playa

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,050 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 280775
GolfWRX Likes : 3716

Posted 09 September 2017 - 05:01 PM

View Postlowheel, on 09 September 2017 - 03:54 PM, said:

View Postfowlerscousin, on 08 September 2017 - 11:15 PM, said:

You need to watch more then. Alot of guys struggle on the range and have rough warm up sessions. Ive shot my best rounds doing just that. leaving the range saying WTF am i going to do today. Matsuyama was hitting 30-40 yard pulls and pushes  during his sunday warmup at firestone this year and was very frustrated and shot i think a 62 or 63 when he teed up. Hitting balls and playing golf are not always the same ask any pro. Same goes for putting warmup.
Conversely, you can stripe it on the range then go out and stink it up. Same on putting green.

Edited by playa, 09 September 2017 - 10:50 PM.

#99 EKELLY

EKELLY

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 405114
  • Handicap:+2
  • Ebay ID:edwardkellyed
GolfWRX Likes : 961

Posted 09 September 2017 - 09:46 PM

If you guys went to a PGA Tour event and followed guys around all day, you'd see they ALL hit terrible shots. Bad pitches, chips, putts........I've been to 100 Tour events, probably seen them all almost skank one (sorry, I can't say the word) . Saw Tiger on 9 at Bay Hill, layed the sod over on a 9-iron, ball only went 60 yards......Saw Norman slice a driver so bad at TPC, they never found it.....Saw Couple miss 2 putts inside 3 feet, and shot 64..........Leishman skanked one last week on 18, the one that almost hit the cameraman.....Those guys are human too......

Edited by EKELLY, 09 September 2017 - 09:48 PM.

#100 playa

playa

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,050 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 280775
GolfWRX Likes : 3716

Posted 09 September 2017 - 10:54 PM

I don't equate chipping with ball striking, despite the similarities of feel on a shot from the sweet spot. I think everyone has seen plenty of duffed chips from tour players at every tournament, much more frequent than poorly struck full shots. Personally I will generally hit less pure chips than full shots during a round.

Edited by playa, 09 September 2017 - 10:56 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#101 thevaporz

thevaporz

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151963
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 343

Posted 10 September 2017 - 12:42 AM

View PostValtiel, on 04 September 2017 - 11:45 PM, said:

I thought of Poulter and Ricky Barnes as well, throw in Web Simpson for the shank factor too.

Maybe its just the clubs themselves, but I feel when watching Dustin Johnson highlights that I hear a lot of clanky sounding wedges and short irons, but particularly the wedges.

I've noticed the same "click" thing with DJ too. Wonder if this has been discussed before because he is the only guy I hear on the TV hit a lot of his irons and especially wedges that emit this high pitch clicking noise. And they're usually great shots but the sound is unique to him.

#102 Shankieboink

Shankieboink

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130733
GolfWRX Likes : 220

Posted 11 September 2017 - 04:19 PM

Everyone, but Stenson :)

#103 dolfinack

dolfinack

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 240411
GolfWRX Likes : 161

Posted 12 September 2017 - 02:34 PM

View Postb.helts, on 04 September 2017 - 10:44 AM, said:

View PostPowderedToastMan, on 04 September 2017 - 10:37 AM, said:

Corey was short, but one of the greatest, most consistent strikers of the ball in the game. He is an example of the opposite of the OP's question.

Billy Horschel is known for not consistently puring his irons. When he clanks them, they still find target though. PING engineering!

Billy is a big clanker. The most successful clanker of all time is Colin Montgomery.

They don't all hit it Stenson flush but they do all have the club face square.

Am I reading this right? Monty a clanker ball striker?

Get right out the door.

#104 Tilikum

Tilikum

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 362013
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:32 PM

Poulter
McDowell
Soren Kjeldsen

#105 bigred90gt

bigred90gt

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68580
GolfWRX Likes : 582

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:57 AM

I played to a legit traveling tournament 3 index several years ago. Nothing special, but if I shot over 76-77, it was a poor round. One of the guys I played with regularly was a former high school and college golfer who was trying to give pro golf a shot and playing on (I think) the Adams tour, or some local mini tour. He couldn't cut it on a mini tour, but the difference in every aspect of the game between he and I was light years. When I was off and struggling, I was posting a mid-high 70s score, when he was off and struggling (by his definition), he hovered from -2 to par, rarely missed fairways or greens, and when he did miss fairways he hit incredible recovery shots, and missed greens were almost always a chip to within gimme range.

To know he couldn't cut it on a mini tour, and to think that anyone who makes a living on tour isn't a better ball striker than he is, let alone a mediocre ball striker, is absurd at best.

#106 Santiago Golf

Santiago Golf

I Strive to make you Better

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151005
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 1346

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:39 AM

View Postbigred90gt, on 13 September 2017 - 09:57 AM, said:

I played to a legit traveling tournament 3 index several years ago. Nothing special, but if I shot over 76-77, it was a poor round. One of the guys I played with regularly was a former high school and college golfer who was trying to give pro golf a shot and playing on (I think) the Adams tour, or some local mini tour. He couldn't cut it on a mini tour, but the difference in every aspect of the game between he and I was light years. When I was off and struggling, I was posting a mid-high 70s score, when he was off and struggling (by his definition), he hovered from -2 to par, rarely missed fairways or greens, and when he did miss fairways he hit incredible recovery shots, and missed greens were almost always a chip to within gimme range.

To know he couldn't cut it on a mini tour, and to think that anyone who makes a living on tour isn't a better ball striker than he is, let alone a mediocre ball striker, is absurd at best.
This!
Driver: PING i25 9.5*; Fujikura Fuel TS 60-Stiff
3 wood: Titleist 915Fd 13.5; Aldila Rouge Black 80-X
Hybrid: Adams IDEA Super XTD 17*; UST Mamiya ProForce VTS 100HX
Irons: Titleist 716 AP2 4-6, CB 7-9: KBS Tour C-Taper X (loft: 22, 26, 30, 35, 40, 45)
Wedges: Scratch 1018 49*, 53*, 57*; KBS Tour C-Taper S+ (49), S300 (53, 57)
Maltby Custom Grind 59*; True Temper Tour 100-Stiff (Combination of Miura K (except 5 knuckles) and PM Grind)
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design MB5; Super Stroke GP Tour (I have backups)
Ball: ProV1x
Grip: Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Red (3 wraps bottom, 3 wraps middle, 2 wrap over that)
Bag: Jones Original

#107 Dave230

Dave230

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,941 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 252022
GolfWRX Likes : 1718

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:08 AM

Jordan Spieth pulled it straight into the tree at the Travelers, drive only went about 200 yards, then hit a good long iron into the bunker and of course holed the bunker shot. Then there was the 50-yard slice off the tee at the Open this year. But then he hits a fantastic second shot and a brilliant chip and it's only a bogey. Both the drives were no better than a decent amateur player at best.

Or look at Poulter shanking the ball into the trees at 18 at the Players this year, then hitting an unbelievable recovery to a few feet.

I remember Jason Day duffing a wedge at the PGA in 2015 en route to a 20-under-par total.

Pros hit bad shots and lose concentration momentarily like everybody else, the difference is that you don't survive on the Tour very long if you're repeating these mistakes. Generally, they don't repeat them. Duck hook, shank, four-putt whatever. They just move onto the next hole and don't expect to make the same mistake again.

#108 Night train

Night train

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7139
GolfWRX Likes : 1200

Posted 13 September 2017 - 04:19 PM

...........and Monty won this week

#109 Dr. Block

Dr. Block

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477376
  • Handicap:0.7
GolfWRX Likes : 70

Posted 13 September 2017 - 04:28 PM

View PostDave230, on 13 September 2017 - 11:08 AM, said:

Jordan Spieth pulled it straight into the tree at the Travelers, drive only went about 200 yards, then hit a good long iron into the bunker and of course holed the bunker shot. Then there was the 50-yard slice off the tee at the Open this year. But then he hits a fantastic second shot and a brilliant chip and it's only a bogey. Both the drives were no better than a decent amateur player at best.

Or look at Poulter shanking the ball into the trees at 18 at the Players this year, then hitting an unbelievable recovery to a few feet.

I remember Jason Day duffing a wedge at the PGA in 2015 en route to a 20-under-par total.

Pros hit bad shots and lose concentration momentarily like everybody else, the difference is that you don't survive on the Tour very long if you're repeating these mistakes. Generally, they don't repeat them. Duck hook, shank, four-putt whatever. They just move onto the next hole and don't expect to make the same mistake again.

Great post!  They all make mistakes, but the best players in the world almost never follow a bad shot with another bad shot.  That is the key to scoring, to have that skill and mental discipline.

#110 hell_is_chrome

hell_is_chrome

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 317747
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 867

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:20 PM

View PostHankshank, on 04 September 2017 - 11:29 AM, said:

Spieth ranks high here. He has improved considerably from tee the latest tournaments, though. But over the year, it has been a story of strange lies off tee,misses in the right spots, making it onto the green and sinking the normal ridiculous putts.

I wonder what his swing will look like in five years. If it will be more compact. Anyhow, it feel like his general swing motion is where the biggest potential for improvement is.

I haven't read all of the replies so forgive me if someone has touched on this already. I watched the 2013 Presidents Cup on Golf Channel and Jordan's swing has improved considerably since then.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors