Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Chrome Soft vs TP5 vs TP5X

Chrome Soft TP5 TP5X

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 James495738

James495738

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 423100
  • Handicap:9
  • Ebay ID:Na
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 04 September 2017 - 05:37 AM

I finally recovered from injury enough to do some more ball testing:
https://exploringimp...-vs-tp5x_4.html

Chrome Soft is still my favourite ball (especially Truvis) but I am definitely going to try the TP5/X.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 craz-e

craz-e

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39596
GolfWRX Likes : 502

Posted 04 September 2017 - 07:56 PM

Great information!
I recently tested the same balls, but less scientific (just on course) the Callaway is still the ball in my bag, just used to how it performs and love the feel!

#3 James495738

James495738

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 423100
  • Handicap:9
  • Ebay ID:Na
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 07 September 2017 - 10:37 AM

I have now managed to test on course and the results were interesting (and mostly subjective).
  • Off the tee I hit both balls; the TP5X went further on 4 occasions and the Chrome Soft went further on 3.
  • When the TP5X was longest it tended to be by a greater amount than when the Chrome Soft was longest.
  • On approach shots the TP5X went further on 3 occasions.
  • Both balls appeared to stop equally well (distance between pitch mark and resting place).
  • The TP5X launched and flew visibly higher with iron shots.
  • The TP5X appeared to be affected less by the wind.
  • The TP5X felt much harder than the Chrome Soft.

Strike is king. I believe the TP5X does behave differently to other premium balls, but fractional mishits vs flushed shots still count more than relatively minor differences between the balls.

#4 usmdp007

usmdp007

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 165187
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:32 AM

I think the TP5 is a very nice ball.  For me, a little more feel around the greens compared to the Chrome Soft.  Not much in it, both balls perform well for me.
WITB

9.0* Callaway Big Bertha Fuji Speeder Evolution
16* Callaway BB Alpha 816 Aldila  Rogue I/O
3 - PW Nike Blade S400
54* Vokey SM4 54.11
58* Vokey SM5 58.11 K grind
Scotty Cameron Newport Oil Can 33"
Pro V1x

#5 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459940
GolfWRX Likes : 168

Posted 12 September 2017 - 11:25 AM

I have enjoyed the TPX5. It does seem to launch high with the irons, but performs well all-around.

#6 Z1ggy16

Z1ggy16

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 430110
GolfWRX Likes : 786

Posted 12 September 2017 - 11:33 AM

For me I am really starting to notice the difference in flight. I think spin is really hard to measure out on the course, but seeing a noticeable change in flight is much easier to notice and take note of. I was a huge lover of CS (still am) but I've noticed that it flies extremely high in the air for, especially off my wedges. I mean... So high to the point it began to become unusable for me because any type of wind would grab it, so I was noticing some fairly sizeable distance loss on full swings. So than I began to take 1 more club and take 75% swings... but then I'd lose spin and it made front pins really hard to attack.

In comes TP5X. Same high flight but somehow, whether it be via less spin or the ball itself, never seemed to lose distance. I hit my PW a solid 7-10 yard further with this ball than I do with the CS, but I don't seem to lose any stopping power. In fact I pulled one back about 2 feet with a wedge, which I've never once done with the CS. I hear TP5 is just a little bit softer version of TP5x that flights down a little lower. I haven't tried it, so I can't give you any real info from my point of view there.

End of the day though, I'm still going back to ProV1. The flight is a little lower than CS and TP5x, and it seems to retain all the spin as the other to. It's just a bit easier for me to hit full wedges in with a little bit lower of an attack angle which I find easier to control. I will say though, out of all the balls you can play these days in this category, CS feels the best by far. With a forged wedge it's like hitting a tiny little pillow or marshmallow... so sweet.
Driver: M2
3w: XR16
Hybrid(3): JPX-850
Hybrid(4): 816H1
Irons: RBladez 5-PW
GW: MD2
SW: MD2
LW: MD2
Putter: O-works #1
Ball: '16 ProV1
Bag: Sun Mountain 2Five/Sun Mountain Sync
Shoe: Puma Biodrive