Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Mizuno MP18 Full Line - In Hand Review with Comparison Pics. Plus the BAG!

91 replies to this topic

#31 Jack Pearsall

Jack Pearsall

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125708
GolfWRX Likes : 855

Posted 10 September 2017 - 05:45 PM

Maybe only to a designer's eye, but the striking similarities between the irons' bottoms is fascinating.

Taylormade Sldr TP 430 9.5*
Taylormade 300 Series 15*
Srixon ZR Uti 18*
Mizuno MP FliHi 21*
Macgregor PCB Tour 4-PW
Zodia 52* 56*
Odyssey #6

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 Stanks

Stanks

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 469442
  • Handicap:?
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 10 September 2017 - 09:09 PM

So, I have finally bit the bullet and turned in my clubs for these. Traded my Cobra King Pros (black) and Wilson V5s for a new custom set of these.

I settled on 4-6 MMC KBS Tour C-Taper S 120 and 7-PW SC with the same shaft. I was going to go full for a few but, I figure the forgiveness and help couldn't hurt and I'm just not as confident as I used to be (though it shouldn't really matter too much).

My pro shop is predicting the clubs should be in my hands within 2 weeks from tomorrow but, I must say that I am beyond excited to see what comes from putting these in the bag. Oh, and I put the Lamkin Standards on there too. Orange. I just like the colors.
Golf makes me mad. Paintball calms me down.

Callaway Epic Sub-Zero 10.5 / Diamana D+ White 70 X
Cobra F7 3 Wood 14.5
Cobra F7 3-4 Hybrid 19.5
Mizuno MP-18s SC 4-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 50*
Callaway MD3 54* & 64*.
Scotty Cameron 5W 33" w/ Tour SNSR Grip
TP5, Vice Pro+, Nike Razn Black / Platinum, CS Truvis, Anything BUT ProV1s.

#33 usmdp007

usmdp007

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 165187
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:49 AM

Thanks for the info.  Can't wait to hit and order a set.  Most interested in the Fly Hi to replace my hybrid.
WITB

9.0* Callaway Big Bertha Fuji Speeder Evolution
16* Callaway BB Alpha 816 Aldila  Rogue I/O
3 - PW Nike Blade S400
54* Vokey SM4 54.11
58* Vokey SM5 58.11 K grind
Scotty Cameron Newport Oil Can 33"
Pro V1x

#34 Whodey-85

Whodey-85

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14089
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:06 AM

Great review.  Have you had a chance to hit the S18 wedges?  If so, how do they compare to SM6 Vokeys?
Ping G400 LST 10* GD Tour AD BB6
Ping G400 14.5* GD Tour AD DI7
Ping G400 17.5* GD Tour AD DI7
TM P770 4-5 DYG TI X100
TM P750 Tour Proto 6-PW DYG TI X100
Titleist SM5 Raw 50F DYG TI Onyx X100
Titleist SM6 Wedgeworks Raw 54M/58M DYG TI Onyx X100
Cameron Futura x5r Custom Slant Neck

#35 andfri

andfri

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 204727
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:07 AM

I'm also interested in the S18 review. Does anyone has comparison pics between T7 and S18 Wedges?

#36 tobybear

tobybear

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,123 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3496
GolfWRX Likes : 292

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:06 PM

View Postandfri, on 11 September 2017 - 09:07 AM, said:

I'm also interested in the S18 review. Does anyone has comparison pics between T7 and S18 Wedges?

I used the T7's extensively this year and loved them, loft for loft distance wise they blended right into my JPX 900 tours and compared to the S5's that I used last year they are much more compact. My only tiny issue would be the bounce in the higher lofts in the summer when it gets really firm and I wish they had a bit more heal relief. But with the less golf I played I actually found that having a big more bounce in general helped. The other thing I will say is that having the Boron was a NON ISSUE!! I don't understand how people complain about this. I have a massive collection of wedges and have played everything from Miura, to Vega, to Vokey and Cleveland and no matter what I always go back to Mizuno's for both shape and feel.

Now as to the question about the S18's I'll put it this way, Its like the S5's & the T7's had a baby. The top line is straighter compared to the S5's but a touch more rounded vs. the T7's, the blade length overall is much more compact like the T7's and they blend into the MP 18 pitching wedge really nicely thanks to a a straight leading edge getting straighter into the lower lofted models from 50-45. I did most of my comparison testing with the higher lofted S18 wedges instead of the lower lofted ones since the new weight distribution ( similar to Fourteen ) raises the COG and that would have the most noticeable difference. Also the solve the bounce issue by varying the bounces much more into the higher lofts with more heel and toe relief, perfect for manipulation around the greens.

AND YES it works, the "trag" control into the higher lofted wedges really helps especially when you open the face - or you're hitting the low spinners. It doesn't have that hollow-ish feel when you get it higher off the toe and on full swing ( which is something I don't hit a whole bunch with those clubs anyways ) Its not like I ever had any problems with my T7's, I love them and could stick with them for a long time, but if given the opportunity I would switch to the S18's in the gun metal finish.

Edited by tobybear, 11 September 2017 - 09:09 PM.

#37 hardcaliber

hardcaliber

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108001
GolfWRX Likes : 145

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:37 PM

I was able to see the entire line for the first time in person today.  After drooling over pics for months, I have to admit I'm a little underwhelmed.

The MMC was a little chunky compared to my MP-15.  There weren't shovels by any stretch, just not what I expected.

The SC top line was a touch thick, but it was probably my favorite overall.

The blade didn't seem like a significant upgrade over the MP-5.

These comments are based on looks only, as I didn't get to hit the clubs.

The one exception was the Fli-Hi.  I was actually totally blown away by the looks of the club.  So many of the utility iron type clubs have gotten almost as big as hybrids.  These were pretty sleek looking.  If they perform as well as some of the early reviews claim it will be a huge winner.  I actually ordered the 3 Fli Hi blind last week, so I can't wait to put it through the paces

#38 ccheezy

ccheezy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 446806
  • Handicap:99
  • Ebay ID:chol8838
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:37 PM

View Posttobybear, on 09 September 2017 - 01:14 PM, said:

View Postmortimer, on 09 September 2017 - 03:29 AM, said:

Excelent review, Tobybear. Thanks

I am very interested in your feedback regarding the comparisson between Srixon U65 and MP18 Fli Hi. Planning to replace my 4 iron (MP25) and hit the Srixon, which i liked, but not the mizzy yet.

"The New Fli-Hi will be a standout in this category! it is the same price as a normal iron and still offers all of the technology of comparable clubs like the Srixon or the Titlesit, but I'll touch on that later. I didn't get on TrackMan yet but the distance and speed certainly appeared to be further than what my H5 was providing."

I'm an honest guy.. the Srixon is a great club but if you compare it to the New Fli-Hi it is quite a bit bigger.

The blade length and the top line are bigger in general on the U65  and the sole is longer with less camber leading edge to flange.

The FliHi has the blade length around the size of the sc and mmc while also keeping the top line very straight any very thin. If you don't know this was a hollow driving iron style club, from address you'd have a very hard time knowing without picking it up. With the smaller more cambered sole the Fli-Hi really gets through the turf

Srixon is dope... they may work for you and I personally love the ZStar line of balls. But tell me the BST isn't loaded with Srixon irons 24-7-365. I would estimate 5 srixon sets to one mizuno set.
M2 '16 - 9.5* HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5
M2 '16 - 16.5* HZRDUS Black 85g 6.5
M1 17 - 19* KBS Hybrid Proto 95g X
P770 - 4-P KBS C-Taper 130g X
RM 22 - 50* 54* 60* (DG S400)
EVNROLL ER7 or Bettinardi BB8 Tri DASS
Srixon Z Star or Taylormade TP5
Leupold GX 4Ia2

#39 phatchrisrules

phatchrisrules

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20680
  • Handicap:6.5
GolfWRX Likes : 365

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:30 AM

View Postccheezy, on 12 September 2017 - 09:37 PM, said:

I am very interested in your feedback regarding the comparisson between Srixon U65 and MP18 Fli Hi. Planning to replace my 4 iron (MP25) and hit the Srixon, which i liked, but not the mizzy yet.

"The New Fli-Hi will be a standout in this category! it is the same price as a normal iron and still offers all of the technology of comparable clubs like the Srixon or the Titlesit, but I'll touch on that later. I didn't get on TrackMan yet but the distance and speed certainly appeared to be further than what my H5 was providing."

I'm an honest guy.. the Srixon is a great club but if you compare it to the New Fli-Hi it is quite a bit bigger.

The blade length and the top line are bigger in general on the U65  and the sole is longer with less camber leading edge to flange.

The FliHi has the blade length around the size of the sc and mmc while also keeping the top line very straight any very thin. If you don't know this was a hollow driving iron style club, from address you'd have a very hard time knowing without picking it up. With the smaller more cambered sole the Fli-Hi really gets through the turf

Srixon is dope... they may work for you and I personally love the ZStar line of balls. But tell me the BST isn't loaded with Srixon irons 24-7-365. I would estimate 5 srixon sets to one mizuno set.

Yeah but how much of that is driven by marketing?  The 565 was recently labelled as the best GI iron for 2017.  I bet you a lot of people who wouldn't typically play a GI iron thought "hell, it's forged, I'll buy a set" and were disappointed in the feel of it vs. a traditional forging.  Not to disparage the Srixon line, it was a VERY close 2nd for me on the Mizunos, but they are traditionally targeted at differing players.
G30 LS Tec - Ping Tour Stiff
Taylormade M2 Tour 15* - KK Silver DC 70X
Taylormade R15 TP 17* - Graphite Design MJ 6X
Not sure yet on irons
Miura 50* - Aldila RIP 115 Stiff
Nike Engage 55* Toe Sweep and 59* Square Sole - DG s300
Bettinardi Inovai

#40 mortimer

mortimer

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 167429
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:03 AM

View Postccheezy, on 12 September 2017 - 09:37 PM, said:

Mizuno player all my life. That saids it all however I reckon the latest releases from Srixon, 745/945s and current 765/945s, are great irons. The only thing which I do not like is the lofts. Too strong for my liking in a player's club mainly in the 745/765s.
Regarding the U65 which is why I posted my initial comment the only thing I can say is that I was very impresed by both looks and performance. I was going to put it in the bag but now I'll wait till I can hit the 18 Fli Hi.

M1 460 Project X LZ 60
Titleist 915F 15 Rogue black 80
Titleist 915H 18 Rogue black 85
Mizuno MP25 / MP5 combo KBS Tour
Cleveland 588RTX2.0 Precision Forged 52 & 56
Vokey SM6 60
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#41 Newc

Newc

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 84360
  • Ebay ID:newc219
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:16 AM

Tobybear how would you compare the forgiveness of the Fli Hi to your H5, especially with the Fli Hi being much more compact.

#42 tobybear

tobybear

Major Winner

• 1,123 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:06 AM

View PostNewc, on 13 September 2017 - 09:16 AM, said:

Tobybear how would you compare the forgiveness of the Fli Hi to your H5, especially with the Fli Hi being much more compact.

Once again I'll state, I loved my H5's but like anything there were design aspects that I felt were a slight compromise - but given the pros and cons of the product I more than loved them enough to have used them for almost 2 years. If its wasn't for the new Fli-Hi they'd still be in the bag. But an improvement is and improvement and I'm more than willing to change.

As to the question regarding forgiveness, the Fli-Hi to me offers MORE forgiveness than the H5, but in a much smaller package. Combine that with the fact that the face in general is much hotter than the H5 and you have a much more forgiving club overall. I especially find lower toe strikes ( my usual mis ) to fli higher - no pun intended and hold better than with my H5. The biggest thing that I can recommend for these clubs would be just like any other club in your bag - find the right shaft. I plan on carrying over my iron shafts PX LZ Steel into the Fli-Hi since they will be directly replacing irons, but if you plan on adding these as more of a driving iron to maybe look at a shaft different from your irons to either help with height or to go lighter to possibly help increase some swing speed.

As a side note:

The one thing that I always find amazing from a club design perspective is that mass of a club head is predetermined by a few grams just by the number on the sole ( which is a factor in length ) what I mean by that is that most 7 irons for example across the board weigh roughly the same. From a JPX 900 Hot metal to a pure blade you're looking at about 270g +- a couple grams either way. Its what designer do with that mass by using varying materials and altering design to create more forgiving clubs with faster ball speed.

#43 Deddie

Deddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 309941
  • Handicap:2.8
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:47 AM

I gave these irons to my brother who just started playing a year ago. These irons are not for low handicappers but good for the 90-100 golfer.

Edited by Deddie, 13 September 2017 - 11:48 AM.

#44 Blabert

Blabert

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 476850
  • Handicap:High
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:50 AM

View Posttobybear, on 13 September 2017 - 11:06 AM, said:

Once again I'll state, I loved my H5's but like anything there were design aspects that I felt were a slight compromise - but given the pros and cons of the product I more than loved them enough to have used them for almost 2 years. If its wasn't for the new Fli-Hi they'd still be in the bag. But an improvement is and improvement and I'm more than willing to change.

As to the question regarding forgiveness, the Fli-Hi to me offers MORE forgiveness than the H5, but in a much smaller package. Combine that with the fact that the face in general is much hotter than the H5 and you have a much more forgiving club overall. I especially find lower toe strikes ( my usual mis ) to fli higher - no pun intended and hold better than with my H5. The biggest thing that I can recommend for these clubs would be just like any other club in your bag - find the right shaft. I plan on carrying over my iron shafts PX LZ Steel into the Fli-Hi since they will be directly replacing irons, but if you plan on adding these as more of a driving iron to maybe look at a shaft different from your irons to either help with height or to go lighter to possibly help increase some swing speed.

As a side note:

The one thing that I always find amazing from a club design perspective is that mass of a club head is predetermined by a few grams just by the number on the sole ( which is a factor in length ) what I mean by that is that most 7 irons for example across the board weigh roughly the same. From a JPX 900 Hot metal to a pure blade you're looking at about 270g +- a couple grams either way. Its what designer do with that mass by using varying materials and altering design to create more forgiving clubs with faster ball speed.

For weight, I find it strange that basicaly only Mizuno offers a B weight (lighter). It opens up so much in fitting the toral weight and balance

View Posttobybear, on 13 September 2017 - 11:06 AM, said:

As a side note:

For weight, I find it strange that basicaly only Mizuno offers a B weight (lighter). It opens up so much in fitting the toral weight and balance

View PostDeddie, on 13 September 2017 - 11:47 AM, said:

I gave these irons to my brother who just started playing a year ago. These irons are not for low handicappers but good for the 90-100 golfer.

Which ones?

#45 tobybear

tobybear

Major Winner

• 1,123 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:14 PM

View PostBlabert, on 13 September 2017 - 11:50 AM, said:

Mizuno are really the only ones that come out and say it.  Basically every OEM has some way of offering lighter heads to customers using over length clubs. The big benefit ( and difference ) with Mizuno offering these different weight heads from the start vs. some other is that the less mass added after the fact keeps the COG right where it should be: Behind the center of the face. Its also different for Mizuno since many of their models are single piece forged with no badges.

For example:

Taylormade - Use one head weight to start ( for each iron ) then uses hosel weight ports, that are installed depending on the specs requested. They use a different epoxy on these so they don't just fall out when re-shafting.

PING - uses the CTP. Cool thing with PING is the CTP is right behind the center of mass ( hopefully the correct term ) so even when adding a lot of weight the Sweet spot never moves from the center of the face

Callaway - Depends on the irons GI use some hosel weights and behind badge weights ( at least they used to ), Players clubs use tip weights

Srixon - They use tip weights.

Edited by tobybear, 14 September 2017 - 12:20 PM.

#46 GFF_1025Boron

GFF_1025Boron

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477524
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:35 AM

Have been looking at the MP18's lustfully for a month or so now, expecting I wouldn't get the performance levels (assistance) I need from then when compared against my JPX850 Forged (14hc).

Had a hit with the MMC's this afternoon and seemed to hit them slightly better. Compared 6i against 6i - same shaft, same loft. Very excited!!

Just need to bide my time, make sure other priorities (contracts / family etc...) are catered for properly, before booking a fitting and going through the whole range.

That's what I'm trying to tell myself anyway :fie:
Manchester Golf Club & Club Golff Conwy

#47 DBake

DBake

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7456
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 24 September 2017 - 11:17 PM

Currently playing MP-30's, 2-PW....think about going with the FLI-HI 2-4, MMC 5-7 and SC in 8-PW.
Titleist 909D3 10.5*, ProForce Tour Green 85 Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 2-PW, S300
Mizuno S5 52*9/56*10/60*06, All Bent 2* Strong
Titleist Studio Design 1.5
Snell MTB

#48 rainkingjr

rainkingjr

Major Winner

• 1,894 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52783
GolfWRX Likes : 501

Posted 27 September 2017 - 11:52 PM

The SC reminds me a little of the Bridgestone J38cb
Cobra F7+ Fujikura Pro 61 stiff
Tour Edge Exotcs E8 3 wood Fujikura Pro 72 stiff
Tour Edge Exotics E8 UST Recoil 670 stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour V4 4-GW DG Pro S300
Cleveland RTX 3 Tour raw 56 and 60
Odyseey White Hot Pro V-Line
Snell MTB

#49 tobybear

tobybear

Major Winner

• 1,123 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2017 - 11:32 AM

View Postrainkingjr, on 27 September 2017 - 11:52 PM, said:

The SC reminds me a little of the Bridgestone J38cb

I always found the Bridgestone players irons to be a bit more boxy in design. I have owned J33 Blades, along with J36 CB/Undercut irons and the other thing I found - not a negative just an observation, is the higher heel transition into the hosel. Not as obvious on the blades but into the other models this was more noticeable.

What i really like about the MP18's is the attention to detail in the hosel transition. Its one of the things Faldo point out in one of those promo videos and he's right that as a grinder and shaper of clubs - I've ground a few hundred wedges and irons in my day that getting that transition right is hard. Does this change performance through the turf or ball flight? NO, but it does offer a look that is very pleasing and confidence inspiring.

#50 Argonne69

Argonne69

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,471 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
GolfWRX Likes : 16284

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:02 AM

I've been playing MP-5's for over 2 seasons now. I think I'm going to pick up an MP-18 SC 7 iron, and give it a tryout. I can't imagine there's a big difference between the two. I didn't find that much of a difference between the 5's and my older 64's.

I'll be sticking a Nippon 950GH R shaft it it (soft stepped).

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#51 Taz Kim

Taz Kim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 339667
  • Handicap:9.3
  • Ebay ID:tkim83
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 29 September 2017 - 11:35 AM

purty
Taylormade 2017 M2 10.5, Hzrdus Yellow 63 stiff
Callaway Big Bertha 816 3w, Rogue Black siff
Adams Tight Lies 3h,
4-6 Taylormade P790, DG 105 Stiff
7-p Miura cb57, Moddus 3 120 Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM5, 52,56
Scotty Cameron Futura X5 33"

#52 cowbomb02

cowbomb02

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 383544
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 30 September 2017 - 11:33 AM

great post, thanks for sharing. the mp-18's look soooo sexy.

#53 dmeeksDC

dmeeksDC

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 431476
  • Handicap:10
  • Ebay ID:dmeeks2010
GolfWRX Likes : 253

Posted 30 September 2017 - 04:10 PM

I am loving my MP18 combo set. Took them on a 3-day golf trip and they were excellent. Mizuno did a great job with these. Very playable and accurate. They're pure.
Current lineup:

TM M1 440 Tour Issue, 10-degree, Diamana B Series X,
67g.
Nike Flex 3 wood, Diamana S-70 stiff
Callaway Epic 5W, Hzrdus T800 S, 65g.
Callaway Apex hybrid, 20 degree, Kuro Kage 80HY stiff shaft
Mizuno MP-59, 4-P, PX 5.5
(Coming: Srixon z565 4 iron, z965 5-P, C Taper Lite X.)
Ping Glide 50, 54, CFS wedge shafts
Fourteen RM12 58/12 sand wedge
Edel Rogue putter (thick blade), 34 inch.

#54 tobybear

tobybear

Major Winner

• 1,123 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2017 - 12:13 PM

Set is here!! They arrived yesterday.

3 iron is the MMC Fli-Hi and the rest of the set is full blades down to the pitching wedge.

Took a few weeks after my initial review to order them ( I'm not made of money - thanks BST for helping fund these :) ) and they came in perfect. Once again I can't believe the difference in setup especially in the short irons compared to my JPX900 Tours. Don't get me wrong I love the Tours but the PW in the 18's is perfect- literally perfection. The lines are so clean and they transition into the wedges so well.

Can't wait to get these to the course and get a little bag chatter in them.

Posted Image

Edited by tobybear, 05 October 2017 - 12:17 PM.

#55 buzlin

buzlin

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42529
  • Handicap:7.0
  • Ebay ID:Buzlin
GolfWRX Likes : 688

Posted 05 October 2017 - 12:21 PM

Finally put my MP18s into play yesterday.  The SC is superb, feel and control are amazing.  I am having to adjust to some pretty high spin though.  The fli-hi is excellent, imo, but spin seems lower, and my gap between my 6i and 7i larger than expected.  My Tourstage 909s are so consistent throughout the set, duh, but I had a huge gap between my 5i and 23* hybrid.  I set up my mizunos to close that gap, but now have somewhat larger gaps from my 7-5i.   Figuring out my yardages will take some time.

913 D3, 9.5, D stiff
915F 15, Rogue Black stiff
913H, 19, 22.5, Tour Green stiff
Mizuno MP18 fli hi (5,6), SC (7-pw), KBS Tour stiff (or Tourstage 909 5-pw)
Vokey, SM6, 50F, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

#56 IH823PUTT

IH823PUTT

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3874
  • Handicap:0.7
GolfWRX Likes : 88

Posted 05 October 2017 - 05:02 PM

View Posttobybear, on 05 October 2017 - 12:13 PM, said:

3 iron is the MMC Fli-Hi and the rest of the set is full blades down to the pitching wedge.

Took a few weeks after my initial review to order them ( I'm not made of money - thanks BST for helping fund these :) ) and they came in perfect. Once again I can't believe the difference in setup especially in the short irons compared to my JPX900 Tours. Don't get me wrong I love the Tours but the PW in the 18's is perfect- literally perfection. The lines are so clean and they transition into the wedges so well.

Posted Image

Did you order direct from Mizuno and were satisfied with the build? Or did you rip apart and rebuild? Just curious on their tolerances knowing your backgroud!
WITB:
Ping G400 LST 8.5* w/ VA Comp. Raijin 64, X
Ping G400 14.5* w/ ?
Titleist 816 19* w/ Diamana 90+, X
Mizuno MP-18 FLI-HI 3 W/ Nippon Modus 125, X
Mizuno MP-18 SC 4-6, MP-18 MB 7-PW
Vokey SM6 Raw 52* & 58* w/ DG AMT T.I., S400
Bettinardi BB0 Copper w/ Welded Twizzler Neck

WITB Link

#57 Tre4ISU

Tre4ISU

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483394
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 05 October 2017 - 05:08 PM

How would you compare the SCs to the MP25s since you have had both? I really want to go with a full set of blades but I'm just a little hesitant and I live quite a ways from somewhere where I can do some actual testing.

#58 tobybear

tobybear

Major Winner

• 1,123 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2017 - 10:42 PM

View PostIH823PUTT, on 05 October 2017 - 05:02 PM, said:

View Posttobybear, on 05 October 2017 - 12:13 PM, said:

Posted Image

Did you order direct from Mizuno and were satisfied with the build? Or did you rip apart and rebuild? Just curious on their tolerances knowing your backgroud!

I ordered right from Mizuno, they came in fantastic.

I had to do some secondary bending with my machine only because I hate requesting for very specific custom work that I can do myself ( plus to be honest I like working on my own stuff ) For example the pitching wedge is flatter than the rest of the set and I also bent the Fli-Hi just a bit stronger to fill in the gap that I wanted.

I will be pulling them apart this winter to add some custom ferrules but other than that I have no need to tear these down.

#59 tobybear

tobybear

Major Winner

• 1,123 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2017 - 10:48 PM

View PostTre4ISU, on 05 October 2017 - 05:08 PM, said:

How would you compare the SCs to the MP25s since you have had both? I really want to go with a full set of blades but I'm just a little hesitant and I live quite a ways from somewhere where I can do some actual testing.

The 25's offered a slightly higher ball flight in the longer irons but I was also playing a different shaft in those. With the PX LZ I have been able to achieve the same flight with the blades. The SC's are smaller in profile especially in the shorter irons compared to the 25s and I really like that. Overall the blades are not that difficult to hit ( for a blade iron ) but I think its also a matter of finding the right spec and shafts. The SC's are so pretty and like I said earlier in the review I could have easily combo'd the blades with the SC's until I go the the Fli-Hi 3 but I really didn't want to have 3 different iron models in the bag just for the 4 and 5 iron. That is a personal choice because they blend absolutely perfectly. Plus I really wanted to get back to using blades :) thats the truth.

#60 Argonne69

Argonne69

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,471 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
GolfWRX Likes : 16284

Posted 06 October 2017 - 08:54 AM

I received my SC 7 iron yesterday. Of course Mizuno installed the wrong grip. Sigh. No, an MCC is not an MCC Plus4.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors