Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Got my Kid a Driver

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459940
GolfWRX Likes : 162

Posted 03 September 2017 - 12:34 PM

I was pretty clueless on equipping a kid. My boy, 12, competed in the Jr PGA for the first time this year. One of the first things that I noticed is the equipment these kids were playing with. Most had gear more expensive than mine, more expensive than the gear my adult partners play with. :swoon:  Well, I brought my boy with me to the fitter yesterday to learn more about how to fit a growing kid. By boy had a desire/some need for a new driver. Luckily, I've been hoarding cash lately. After much trial and error with the fitter we settled on an M2 with a ladies' shaft. It appears he might be the longest driver in my regular foursome with that club. He was smashing it out of sight. This year, he's to choke up about an inch, grip the club at the top next year - then an easy shaft change as required later. There was a kid's Ping driver that he really liked, too. But, it had a fixed shaft that can't be easily changed out. I don't know anything about changing these composite shafts, but imagine it could be pretty involved. I think for the irons in our future I might learn how to change iron shafts and grip clubs, as I have a big pile of clubs in the garage...

He agreed to mow the lawns and scrub the pool for dad regularly after seeing me hand over the cash...

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 NYC243

NYC243

FORE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 479022
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 127

Posted 03 September 2017 - 01:06 PM

good job!

#3 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:39 PM

Here he is. He has quite a story, as he was very disabled when very young. He and I were in a documentary because of those struggles. He's still small, but loves golf. He's hit this club 250 on the course, which is spooky at his size.

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

#4 Palmetto Golfer

Palmetto Golfer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 179906
GolfWRX Likes : 97

Posted 25 September 2017 - 06:28 AM

That is awesome. Start hoarding more cash...you're going to need it !!!

#5 killer21

killer21

Killer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31162
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 25 September 2017 - 10:20 AM

Smooth swingin Lefty like my daughter. I have her in an M2 as well.  I jumped the gun a bit, but now she has grown into it and is smashing it as well!! Looks great.

Ping I15 8* Fubuki Tour
X-Hot (2006) Vista Pro 80
X-Hot Pro Hybrids 18, 23
Wilson D100 25* Hybrid
X-Tour S300
Vokey 50, 54, 58

#6 tiger1873

tiger1873

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 87

Posted 25 September 2017 - 10:23 AM

Be careful about drivers for kids you need to make sure there the right length for them. Also don't worry about being the longest driver.  Having said that though a lot of kid are a lot longer with new drivers out today.

If your going to compete your probably going to need to get a good driver for them if they start to play longer courses otherwise there just going to be outdriven. Most courses when they are young can really use any driver and it isn't what determines who will win.At that age the best putter usually wins.

If your kids are younger and just learning the game your better off having them hit irons and wedges more often and if they hit them then move on to bigger drivers.

Edited by tiger1873, 25 September 2017 - 10:26 AM.

#7 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 01:07 PM

He's a good putter. Looking into competition...we'll see. My goal was to just have him enjoy golf.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors