Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

MEMBER TESTING: Cleveland CBX Wedges! See the Reviews Inside!!

32 replies to this topic

#1 knudson81

knudson81

My WITB is $100 but my swing is $.50

• Marshals
  • 2,650 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23000

Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:52 AM

ClevelandCBXTESTING.jpg

We have a great panel of testers for the new Cleveland CBX wedges here. Take a look at who will be putting them through their paces...

Nam2212
cane700
gpleonard
jgallant415
Thunderfist
ebn2002
JPW75
ALTSean
bigmoneyp
Ispy_muskie

Remember to ask any questions you might have on these new wedges! It is always great to get a real world review from some GolfWRX members!

Edited by knudson81, 01 September 2017 - 06:53 AM.

I measure myself against other golfers by height, I'm 5'9"

Posted ImagePosted Image

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 NAM2212

NAM2212

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105047
GolfWRX Likes : 79

Posted 01 September 2017 - 11:08 AM

I was one of the lucky testers. Looking forward to getting the wedges and putting it in play when I am back from vacation. Thanks to golfwrx and Cleveland.

#3 cane700

cane700

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 288027
  • Ebay ID:cane700
GolfWRX Likes : 553

Posted 01 September 2017 - 11:31 AM

Looking forward to this! Thanks Golfwrx and Cleveland Golf!

Update: 9/7/2017
Received my Club. Some initial thoughts on looks.

First, a little background about me. I've been playing for about 5 years. My Handicap ranges from a 12 to 15 depending on where and how much I play and practice in a given year. In general my game has been improving. In the last year my relative strengths have been my driver and my wedge play. Although I am currently in a funk with the driver. Typical driver carry is about 250 yards. 6 iron about 175.

For reference my club setup is as follows.

2017 M2 Driver 9.5 degrees  Diamana S+ 60g S flex
915FD 3+ set to 14.25 degrees Diamana D+ 80 S flex
Aeroburner 5W 18 degrees. Speed Rulz 60g S flex
913H 21 degree Diamana S+ 80g S flex
716 AP2 5-9 DG S300
Ping Glide 47 SSDG S300
Ping Glide 56 SS DG S400
Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour 60/09 DG S300
Vokey SM4 64/07 degree  DG S300

I previously used a Ping Glide 50 deg gap wedge but I decided to put my 64 deg Vokey back in the bag as it has been a useful and fun club for me.

I received a 54/12 degree Cleveland CBX wedge stock length and 2 degrees flat with a DG S300 shaft . This is obviously heavier than the stock shaft by a good amount but it matches better with my overall set. The 54 degree will work better for my gapping while giving me more options on sub 100 yard shorts. I have no issues varying my PW distances between 100 and 120 yards. I use Pelz's short game method which has served me well in this regard.

Anyway, On to the clubs themselves.

Looks:  

My first impression was that the wedge looked very nice. The milling and finish were high quality. There were no blemishes or imperfections. The face had the distinctive Rotex milling. The back  had a clean look. You can tell there is a lot of perimeter weighting on this wedge but the cavity isn't obvious until you take a closer look. The V-sole is something I'm somewhat familiar with since I tested the Scor Wedge a few years back. This sole is noticeably different from the Scor as it is narrow toward the heel and wide toward the toe.
IMG_5697.JPG
IMG_5695.JPG

I have a few wedges laying around so I compared them at address.
(from left to right) Glide 50 SS, Glide 56 SS, CBX, Mack Daddy 2 Tour, Mack Daddy 2, SM4 Vokey. There is a little more offset on the CBX which will not make some happy but will most likely fit the target customer for these wedges. I play clubs with less offset typically but I am generally not put off by offset. Top line is very consistent with most of the wedges on the market. The only difference I noticed is that the CBX is a slightly bigger head.
20170905_155340.jpg

From what I've seen, the Ping Glide is the closest competitor to the CBX. Address pics  CBX (on left) vs Ping Glide(on right)
20170905_155709.jpg
20170905_155606.jpg

Cleveland CBX
20170905_155415.jpg

Ping Glide
20170905_155456.jpg

That is my review on the looks and design of the club. I plan to get out to the range and on the course to get some play time with it. I will report back in the next few days.

Update: 9/11/2017

I spent some time on the chipping green and played 27 holes of golf at two courses with the CBX wedge. I used four types of urethane balls over the course of the weekend, the Zstar, Chrome Soft X, TPX, Callaway SR3

On the practice green: I spent some time hitting pitches, chips, lobs, and flops. I was half expecting this wedge to have a hot face that was difficult to control around the green. One of my peeves with GI set wedges is that the faces are too explosive. This was not the case with the CBX. I was happy to find it very controllable around the green.

Pitch shot's: The club felt great on pitch shots from 20 to 60 yards. The added MOI seemed to keep things consistent. The V sole seemed fine playing in the rough. The club was confidence inspiring on pitch shots. I tried both high soft pitches as well as lower dead hand pitches. Both were fairly easy to execute. The dead hands pitch spun well enough to bounce check and stop.  

Chip shots: On chips the club also excelled. The distance you got is a reflection of what you put into the shot. The design seems to generate plenty of spin on urethane balls.

Flops/Cut Lobs: The CBX with the Vsole and 12 degrees of bounce is more than capable with these shots as long as you have a sufficiently fluffy lie. Trying the from a buried or tight lie is asking for trouble. The player that needs the flop will likely be looking for a lower bounce wedge.

First round was played on my local 9 hole executive course. Greens were about medium speed for reference. The first shot played was a 100 yard shot over a tree to the green off a firm lie. This was where I was saw a weakness with the sole. I could feel the club bounce off the hard ground and the shot felt thin but the ball hit the green and rolled to the back fringe. Despite the thinned shot, the ball got high enough the clear the tree. The next shot was a 3/4 shot from a softer fairway lie. I hit near the toe resulting in a toe hook that rolled about 6 yards. Forgiveness is definitely there although I was worried about not getting any spin. The next hole, I sliced a tee shot into rough on the adjacent hole. I had a row of trees on my path so the safest shot was to hit one over the trees back onto my fairway. I opened the face slightly and hit a beautiful high cut shot over the trees. leaving me with 100 yards to the pin. Next shot was well struck and landed within 6 feet of the hole and held the green nicely.

Played a full 18 on Sunday and had some extensive use of the club. Green speeds were on the fast side for reference. I found the ball flight high on full shots and spin was good enoug to drop and spot on the faster greens. I scuffed 3 golf balls during the round. Well stuck shots had a strong flight and the ball got to where it needed to go even into the breeze. I stuck few wedge shots right up on the hole. You can tell there is some help in this wedge and it inspired confidence.

Edited by cane700, 11 September 2017 - 10:41 PM.

#4 ALTSean

ALTSean

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42203
  • Ebay ID:ALTSean
GolfWRX Likes : 274

Posted 01 September 2017 - 01:07 PM

Thanks to GolfWRX and Cleveland for the opportunity to test the new CBX wedge!  I can't wait for the wedge to arrive so I can give it a try.  Thanks!

Update 8 SEP: Club arrived yesterday and looks great.  I ordered a 60* with a KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 shaft at 1/2" over with a midsize grip and all the custom options turned out great.  Th finish looks very nice and high quality.  I haven't had a chance to hit it, but will this weekend and will post pictures and a full review.  Thanks again to Cleveland and WRX!

Update 11 SEP: Finally got out to the course to put the CBX wedge to the test.  The wedge was very impressive and I tried full shots, medium length pitches, chips, flops, bunker shots and bump and runs.  I'm coming from a Vokey 60K and the CBX 60* seems pretty similar with the forgiving wide sole.  The head is little bigger than a Vokey, but not so big that's unworkable.  The head reminds me of a Ping Eye wedge and that's a good thing.  The feel is good and surprisingly responsive.  I will get some pictures up soon, but I was impressed with my first impressions on the course today.

Edited by ALTSean, 11 September 2017 - 08:48 PM.

#5 ebn2002

ebn2002

Never go full retail

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 201107
  • Handicap:11
GolfWRX Likes : 142

Posted 01 September 2017 - 01:47 PM

Thanks for this opportunity!  This will be a good test because my AP1 50* wedge is one of my favorite clubs, and I'm gonna pull it for a CBX 50*.  How long will it last...

Titleist 983k GD YS6+
Titleist 906F4 GD YS6+
Ping G5 19* GD YS6+
AP1 712 4-GW
SM5  54*
Ping Anser G2i

#6 bigmoneyp

bigmoneyp

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,077 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106403
GolfWRX Likes : 306

Posted 01 September 2017 - 03:25 PM

** Placeholder **

#7 JPW75

JPW75

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 472074
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 02 September 2017 - 05:18 PM

Hey guys I was one of the lucky few who were selected to test and review the new Cleveland CBX wedge.  I would first like to thank GolfWRX and Cleveland for this opportunity.

About me, I am just getting back into golf after about a 10 year hiatus.  I am pretty much a weekend warrior, currently at a 21.2 HCP, but improving every week.  My goal this year is to shoot consistent 90's and break into the 80's here and there.  So far I am tracking pretty well on those goals, but have yet to card in the 80's.  It's coming!

My bag currently consists of Cobra F7 One Length Irons 5-SW, and a Vokey SM5 60.08 Wedge.

I chose the CBX in 56.12, stiff flex, with a midsize grip, 1 deg upright.

I am 5'6" ~190lbs, and I swing pretty fast.  I would estimate my swing speed is 100mph+ but have never been on a trackman or anything like that.  Maybe next year if I get fitted or lessons.

I haven't had a chance to hit the wedge yet, however I have a round scheduled on Monday and will be able to provide some feedback then.

I have attached some comparison pictures of the CBX against my F7 One SW (55deg) and the SM5 60.

My plan is to do some practice with the CBX and a round or two in then post some of my thoughts.

Enjoy the pics!  Please let me know if you would like to see something else more specific!.  Cheers

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3647 (768x1024).jpg
  • IMG_3648 (768x1024).jpg
  • IMG_3649 (768x1024).jpg
  • IMG_3650 (768x1024).jpg
  • IMG_3652 (768x1024).jpg
  • IMG_3653 (768x1024).jpg
  • IMG_3655 (768x1024).jpg
  • IMG_3656 (768x1024).jpg
  • IMG_3657 (768x1024).jpg
  • IMG_3658 (768x1024).jpg

#8 Thunderfist

Thunderfist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 356075
GolfWRX Likes : 49

Posted 02 September 2017 - 08:27 PM

Thank you GolfWRX and Cleveland. I'm so excited to for this opportunity.

I'm currently a 13.0 hcp. The clubs firmly in the bag are ping I200 irons 5-UW, 58* pm grind wedge. My driver ss is 99-103 mph.

The timeline of this test couldn't have been better timing as I'm looking to replace a wedge. I currently am between a 55* x-22, which is a cavity back. This club has been good for full shots and thick lies. I'm able to open the face to add loft but because of the thick sole this is difficult on tight lies or hard pan. Due to this I've been back and forth with a Nike 52* 08 spin velocity. This club was purchased due to the new groove rules and was afraid of losing spin. The Nike had been good on tight lies and hard pan but the low bounce has caused at times for fat shots.

I chose to test the CBX 54*12 with the KBS tour stiff, standard length, 2*flat with MCC plus grip. The current plan is to take to the local short game area and get familiar with the club before putting to test with real rounds. I will post as quick as the info comes in.

Edited by Thunderfist, 06 September 2017 - 11:26 PM.

#9 jgallant415

jgallant415

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 370973
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 78

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:24 AM

Anxiously awaiting scheduled delivery on 9/7... thank you Cleveland and GolfWRX for the opportunity!

I went with a 56* with matching specs vs. my existing 56* RTX 3 (1 degree flat, DG wedge flex shaft, MCC+4 grip). Plan is to put both through their paces at my club's short-game facility first, then take it out on the course. For anyone following the thread, please let me know if there are specific shot types you'd like comparison feedback on vs. the traditional blade style RTX3. Can also comp vs. my old Cally MD2 if there is interest...

#10 JPW75

JPW75

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 472074
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:01 AM

Played a round yesterday and wanted to post my initial thoughts on the 56.12 CBX I received.  Again I have a pretty high 21.2 HCP (lowered to 20.9 yesterday).

I did some warm up swings on the range and then moved over to the chipping range.

Full swings the CBX is really easy to get up in the air.  Almost effortless in fact.  I was hitting the 56.12 70-80 yards consistently.  I did blade a few and send them 100+, but that is my fault not the clubs.  The cavity back really makes this club easy to hit, and very forgiving on miss hits.  Almost everything I hit went dead straight, even the bad hits fat or thin.  Half swings ~ 50 yards, again effortless.  Really digging the feel of this club, and was impressed in that regard for a cavity back.

Moving over to the pitching/chipping range, the first thing I noticed is that the 56.12 does not run out much at all, especially compared to my 55 deg F7 One SW.  It even ran out less than my Vokey SM5 60.08.  Pitching and Chipping both yield a very high arcing flight, and the ball would maybe roll 2-3 feet past the landing spot.  I did some flop shots from fairway grass and was fairly consistent, but honestly I did not see much difference between flop shots and normal chips.  For me, the inconsistency of a flop versus a chip made me quickly come to the conclusion that a flop was pretty unnecessary when using this club.  The ball flight wasn't that much different, which really is a testament to how easy it is to get this club up in the air.

Moving over to a deep practice bunker (4-5 feet lip) I was able to get every ball out with the CBX.  I hit my bunker shots all blasting behind the ball, and the CBX behaved nicely in this regard. Firmer sand was a little more difficult as I hit a few thin and air mailed the green, but soft sand the CBX did really well in.  Again I was impressed with the CBX playing from the sand as I typically like the feel of a normal wedge shape (non CB) out of the sand, and the CBX had no issues blasting sand shots.  If anything I would say the CBX may not cut through firm sand as well as a normal blade type wedge, perhaps due to it's chunkier build?

I then used the CBX throughout my 18 hole round and was pretty impressed.  Anything within 70 yards I used the CBX and I did not use my 55deg F7 One SW or Vokey SM5 60.08 all day long.  My chipping and pitching were pretty spot on all day, and I adjusted pretty well to the lack of run-out of the wedge.  Chipping is one of the better parts of my game, and the CBX did nothing to make me second guess myself, nor did it make me want to go back to my normal clubs.  It is very user friendly for a high capper like me, and did everything I wanted it to do right from the start.  One last thing, is that I hit a few errant drives that put me out in the hard packed desert sand, and I hit some wonderful shots out of this lie with the CBX.  One shot in particular on a shorter Par 4.  I hit a drive about 300 but dead right and ended up about 68 yards from the pin, in a rocky hard sand desert lie.  I did a nice smooth full swing and put my ball about 15 feet from the pin, 2 putt par.  The CBX cut through the sand just the perfect amount and the ball went straight up in the air.  Again this club is really easy to get airborne off pretty much any lie you throw at it.  Fairway, short rough, deep rough, hard pan/pack/sand...Very impressed.  One last thing I noticed is when my ball was "teed up" in deeper rough the CBX was much more forgiving than my SM5.  A lot of times with my SM5 I will hit under the ball too much in this lie and come up way short, but the CBX seems to stay on top of the grass a little better instead of digging deeper like the blade wedges do (I hope that makes sense).  Just make sure you don't decelerate, but that applies to any club!

The CBX wedge has me intrigued at the thought of other CBX irons.  If the irons are as easy to hit as the wedge is, then Cleveland will have a seriously good chance to make a dent in the GI/SGI market with these cavity back offerings.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 gpleonard

gpleonard

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140609
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 145

Posted 05 September 2017 - 02:22 PM

I thank GolfWRX for giving me this chance to test the Cleveland CBX wedges. My wedges are being delivered tomorrow and will be in play on Saturday. I will be putting out some pictures and reports on my progress as we go along. I am definitely excited to test these wedges as I have always been a big fan of Cleveland wedges..
Gil Leonard

#12 lspky_muskie

lspky_muskie

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 443386
GolfWRX Likes : 90

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:38 PM

First of all, I want to thank Cleveland and GolfWrx for this opportunity.

I've been playing golf for 2.5 years now and I'm currently a 16 handicap.   I like to tinker,  so I've run through a lot of equipment in those 2 years.   I currently have Ping G Irons 5-U in my bag along with Cleveland RTX 2.0 Black wedges in 56 and 60 with 3 dots of bounce.  I also have a Ping G SW, but the RTX 2.0 seems to have knocked it out of the bag for now.  

I wanted to test the 56 degree club and it was sitting on my front porch when I got home from work today.  My first impression was the satin finish on the CBX  was a big upgrade over the black finish on the RTX.  I never noticed it until I had them side by side, but the RTX face is little busy.  There looks to be a little more offset on the CBX.  You'd never know it was a cavity back club looking down at address.  I didn't look at the swing weights, but the CBX seems a touch lighter.

I went to the backyard to hit a couple of pitches, but didn't really learn anything.  I'll have it in the bag tomorrow night for 9 holes, so I'll report back then.

Edited by lspky_muskie, 06 September 2017 - 10:13 PM.

#13 lspky_muskie

lspky_muskie

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:14 PM

Played 9 tonight and got some practice in after that.  CBX felt right at home in the bag.

First hole is a Par 5.  Hit the drive in the rough and I laid up to 105 yards just so I could hit this.  Put my stock full iron swing on it, ball flew high and straight, carried about 110 and stuck after 1 hop.

Second hole is a short and tight par 4 with a blind tee shot.  I hit a hybrid down the middle and had 90 yards in.    3/4 swing carried about 85 and backed up a little.

Third hole is a dog leg left  Par 4.  Hit my tee shot up the left side of the fairway, but left myself with a weird lie about 110 yards out.  This is where the club definitely outperformed my RTX.  I put a bad swing on the ball, hit what should have been a really fat shot, and somehow got the ball up onto the green.

Didn't have a chance to use it again until the ninth hole.  Hit the drive into the first cut on the left about 110 yards out.  Stuck the ball 3 from the hole  for a birdie.

Headed over to the short game practice area and got some work in.  

Chipping: The Dual V  sole definitely feels a little bit different than anything else I've used  when you're chipping.  I had to regrip a few times to get comfortable that the club was square to the target.   I'm not sure if it is good or bad or just different.  CBX was producing less roll out the the RTX, but that might just be fresh grooves.

Pitching:  This is a big weakness of mine.   It was easy to get the ball up in the air and the ball stopped quickly.  Mishits seemed to fly about the same distance as a clean hit which is a game changer.

Might play tomorrow night and will play 36 this weekend.  Looking forward to getting more experience with it out on the course.

#14 ebn2002

ebn2002

Never go full retail

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2017 - 07:53 PM

Played this morning with the CBX 50* in the bag, instead of my ap1 gap wedge.  Right away I noticed that this club inspires confidence over the ball, while going from hitting ap1 irons to a typical wedge sometimes that confidence isnt there.  The cbx does not look chunky at all, just a slightly thicker top line than a vokey.

I had four full swings with the club today, all around 115 yards.  It almost didn't matter how good the swing was, every shot was on line and travelled very similar distance, but the biggest difference was the distance control over an ap1.  Sometimes the ap1 will go 10 yards long or short with the same swing, I dont know if there are hot spots on the ap1 face or what, but not with the cbx.  All went exactly the distance they should have.  This might be the main reason I keep this club over the set gw.  Nothing worse than putting a good swing on it and flying the green.

I had a few chips from 50 or so yards and I used the cbx, absolutely no problem on half and quarter swings.  It was really wet today, but this club would be really hard to hit fat. Another huge benefit over the ap1 was spin.  I could stop shots much easier with the cbx, which gave me way better proximity to the hole.

I will keep using the cbx and keep updating.  I play again monday.

Pictures for comparison tomorrow.

Overall, if this kind of performance continues, I will definitely continue using the cbx.  I might even get one in 46* to replace the pitching wedge.
Titleist 983k GD YS6+
Titleist 906F4 GD YS6+
Ping G5 19* GD YS6+
AP1 712 4-GW
SM5  54*
Ping Anser G2i

#15 lspky_muskie

lspky_muskie

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2017 - 08:41 PM

Played like crap today, so I hit a ton of wedge shots.

Really impressed with how quickly the ball gets up in the and how quick it stops when pitching.  That alone will earn it a place in my bag.

#16 gpleonard

gpleonard

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2017 - 09:03 PM

My first review of the Cleveland CBX 56* wedge. The look is great, feel is really good, these are a quality wedge from Cleveland. I played my first round with the CBX wedge today. The ball checks up really well. Distance with the wedge is very good for me. Out of the sand was exceptional. Chipping around the green and short shots were no problem. I found you just drop the club on the ball and you get the desired results. I found no damage to the finish of the club. The ball I use is the Srixon Q Star Tour and it seems to be a great combination. I liked the wedge so much I ordered a 50* wedge to compliment my wedges. For a mid to high handicap player these can be a game changer. I will be posting pictures in the next few day. In closing so far so good..
Gil Leonard

#17 jgallant415

jgallant415

• 186 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2017 - 09:38 PM

Hoping to test on the course tomorrow, so more to follow with hopefully some better photos, but had some time to get it in use at my club's short game area for an hour or so today... Tested several shot types against my existing RTX-3 56*

Overall thoughts: Mid/high handicappers such as myself will absolutely benefit from replacing any blade style wedge used for full swings with the CBX. If I were re-doing my bag, I'd almost certainly replace my current RTX-3 50* with the CBX version based on much more consistent performance on full swings. I'm strongly considering leaving the 56* CBX in my bag as I found it much easier to hit out of the sand, though it does give up some versatility around the greens - I'd absolutely want one of my higher lofted wedges (56 or 60) in a more traditional style where I could more easily open up the face.

Pros:
*More consistency on full shots - on a well struck full swing 56*, I expect to carry ~90 yards, but the range is wide (+/- 10-12 yards depending on quality of contact); with the CBX, I'd say it was more like +/- 5-7 yards - huge improvement
*Very easy to hit out of the sand - probably the weakest part of my game, but I was 12/12 getting out of the practice bunker; CBX glides through the sand nicely, ball comes out nice and high
*Not overly noticeable on chips/pitches off fairway lies, but noticed much better quality of contact on balls hit out of the rough - definitely gave me confidence on tricker lies knowing that even if I didn't find the dead center of the club face that I could still produce a consistent shot

Cons:
*Had no problem hitting my typical flight or a higher ball, but for whatever reason it was a struggle to hit lower trajectory chips and pitches with the CBX
*Can't open up the face very much with the CBX - generally higher trajectory on normal shots made this less necessary, but I'd definitely want at least one more versatile wedge in the bag

Chip shots from fairway lies: The ball definitely comes off the CBX club face higher, lands softly with very little rollout - maybe 2-3 feet vs. 4-5 feet for me with my current wedge. Took a little getting used to as I could be more aggressive with the CBX, but once I adjusted saw fairly similar dispersion with both wedges. CBX is a touch more forgiving with slightly off-center contact, though difference wasn't really meaningful (maybe an extra foot vs. the RTX-3). I'd call this a push.

Chip shots from rough: Overall similar trajectory and rollout profile as fairway chips, but added forgiveness of the CBX a bit more apparent here as I'm less likely to make clean contact from this type of lie. Slight edge to CBX.

Pitch shots from fairway lies: Probably a relative strength of my short game, so I preferred the RTX-3 to the CBX here. CBX launched a touch higher, but with a little less spin than the RTX-3, so net result was pretty similar in terms of rollout. Didn't notice a material difference in dispersion, though I purposefully hit a few off the toe with the CBX and only lost a couple yards on half swings. Biggest drawback to the CBX for me was trying to hit lower trajectory pitch shots - for whatever reason, I just couldn't do it, and mostly ended up skulling the ball. Edge: RTX-3.

Pitch shots from rough: Like with the chip shots out of the rough, definitely noticed improved contact with the CBX. Stepped on a few to give myself really terrible deep rough lies and had no trouble going down to get the ball with the CBX. Again, very confidence inspiring with bad lies as the CBX really seemed to move through the rough pretty effortlessly. Also seemed less likely to twist in thicker grass, so shots started more consistently on target. Edge: CBX.

Flop shots: The one real drawback of the CBX showed up here. I could open the face up a touch and move the ball a bit forward without any issue, but anything more than a couple degrees and it's pretty tough to hit. Edge: RTX-3.

Bunker shots: As I noted above, probably the weakest part of my game, and I purposely chose the 56* in stead of the 50* to test as I wanted something I could hit out of the bunker. I was not disappointed, getting every shot out of the bunker and onto the green in one (this is an accomplishment for me). Ball came out nice and high, which was nice because, as mentioned, it's better not to open the club face more than a few degrees. I'll gladly sacrifice that to get out of the bunker 100% of the time though, so net net still a big win for the CBX in my mind.

Full swing: An other area the CBX really shined. For the most part, on any shot inside 100 yards I prefer to take a partial swing, but with the CBX I could see that changing. A well struck 56* for me carries ~90 yards, but with pretty wide variance based on quality of contact and impact position. +/- 10-12 yards isn't uncommon for me, so the RTX-3 has been more or less unplayable for anything more than a 3/4 swing. With the CBX, that probably narrowed to +/- 5-7 yards, still not amazing, but certainly something that could become playable with a bit of range time. As I mentioned earlier, if I was redoing my bag I'd almost certainly replace the existing RTX-3 50* with a CBX as I do use that for full swings pretty regularly.

Visually, despite the much thicker sole, I found the RTX-3 and the CBX to be fairly similar at address with the slightly thicker CBX topline barely noticeable to me (address shot left to right is CBX, RTX-3, Cally MD2).

Attached Thumbnails

• image1.JPG
  • image2.JPG

Edited by jgallant415, 09 September 2017 - 09:43 PM.

#18 Thunderfist

Thunderfist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 356075
GolfWRX Likes : 49

Posted 10 September 2017 - 06:30 PM

I've now had two extensive practice sessions with the CBX. I believe this club will help golfers of many abilities. Yes it is a cavity back but as others have said it is not noticable at address. The versatility of the club is not much different from the total hyped wedges.

First off this club makes pitching and chipping very easy from the fairway or right lie. When struck well the ball is very consistent. Whether you play low runner or fly it to the hole, expect consistency. On miss hits the extra mass have and you still get decent roll out and obviously a skull is still a skull. From the rough this club performs good as well. From a fluffy lie the club still gets the ball air born easy without manipulating the face. The thicker lies s sitting down the CBX is great for going down a digging out. Again the extra mass helps keeping the face online and the ball came out as high or higher than my 58* pm.

Next I got some flops over a bunker to the small part of the green, approximately 20yds. This is were I think the v sole was valuable. I could easier pop the ball up quick and high. I found the sole kept me from digging and leaving the shot short, very impressed. I compared the flops vs the my pm wedge and I give the slight wedge to the CBX. The pm grind I'm able to flip the ball higher but I found the risk of digging so much higher than the CBX.

Bunker shots the sole again shines. On hard packed or thin lies the sole doesn't bounce like typical soles. So instead of bouncing and skulling the shot across the green the club doesn't bounce as much and you can still pull off a decent shot. I had little trouble with packed thin lies getting the ball in the air. For good lies and I prefer my pm grind but the thin lies and fried egg lies the CBX will out perform the pm grind.

Full shots are easy with the CBX. The ball launches high and straight. I tried and tried to manipulate the ball flight. I could move the ball 2 or 3 yes at most. Struggling is what you hit though. I also tried to lower the trajectory but this was not happening. I could change my distance but the fight was always high. This was the only week point I've found with this club.

Not it's time to put the club to the test out on the course, and I can't believe I'm saying this, hopefully with some wind.

#19 NAM2212

NAM2212

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105047
GolfWRX Likes : 79

Posted 11 September 2017 - 03:51 PM

I had a Cleveland box waiting in my office when I got in this morning. I got the 54/12 with C-Taper in a stiff flex to match my current shafts. I went with stock length and lie and a NDMC grip. My current wedge set up is a 56/60 in the RTX 2.0 with the stock shafts. I am looking forward to getting some practice time in and adding a review after playing it a few rounds to compare with my current wedges.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 cane700

cane700

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2017 - 10:49 PM

Sticking the ball close to the pin on more than one occasion with this wedge. Shot a personal best at my local 9 hole (+3) with this wedge in the bag.

20170909_181811.jpg

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 lspky_muskie

lspky_muskie

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:37 PM

I think we're all going to find there is not much to be said about this club and that it works exactly as advertised.  I let my buddy take it out last night and he said the exact same things I did.

"Looks great, gets up quick, and stops on a dime"

#22 cane700

cane700

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:47 PM

Definitly. The biggest benefit I'm seeing is on full shots and the fact it doesn't have a spring face. Precision is excellent.

Edited by cane700, 12 September 2017 - 05:48 PM.

#23 ebn2002

ebn2002

Never go full retail

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:01 PM

As many others have said,this club does what it is supposed to do, and just flat out works.  Played a scramble outing yesterday, pitch shots from 110 and in were just hitting and stopping.

One of the guys in our group was a low cap and was interested in it.  Hit it a few times and was surprised at the feel and accuracy.  It looks like a blade wedge and plays like a cb iron.  He couldnt miss with it.
Titleist 983k GD YS6+
Titleist 906F4 GD YS6+
Ping G5 19* GD YS6+
AP1 712 4-GW
SM5  54*
Ping Anser G2i

#24 cane700

cane700

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:34 AM

Played an early morning round yesterday with a light drizzle most of the round. Soft wet conditions really brings out the performance of this wedge. I'm  still finding good distance control with it. Partial shots and full shots are going the distances I want. The feel is very good and the ball flight is very controllable.

#25 TWshoot67

TWshoot67

TWShoot67

• 2,292 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17759
  • Handicap:4.2
  • Ebay ID:TWSHOOT67
GolfWRX Likes : 294

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:55 PM

View Postcane700, on 11 September 2017 - 10:49 PM, said:

Sticking the ball close to the pin on more than one occasion with this wedge. Shot a personal best at my local 9 hole (+3) with this wedge in the bag.

Attachment 20170909_181811.jpg

Nice shot! but that green needs a shave... That looks like my fairway or first cut. LOL Just having some fun.

Cobra Fly Z+ w/ Tour Only Aldila Rogue 125 R
Tour Issue TM M2 15* w/ Adila ATX Green S
TM HFS 21* W GD TOUR AD di 7S
Cobra S3 Pro's 4-PW w/ Aldila RIP Tour R hard stepped
Cobra S3 Gap w/ Nippon 125 S
Titleist Vokey Proto's 54*,56*,60*
Scotty Cameron 009 SSS 350 Tiffany or
Tour Bettinardi BB1 'H' DASS 353g
Titleist ProV1 X, TM TP X
WITB Link

#26 cane700

cane700

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:29 AM

Lol. It was definitely due for a shave.

#27 lspky_muskie

lspky_muskie

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 03:11 PM

Played hookie today and got 18 in today.    Used this out of the bunker a few times, and it gets the ball up and out easily.    Didn't feel like I was in any danger of staying in the trap, but the ball did come out flatter than I would like and rolled out more.  

The club continues to shine on 1/2, 3/4, and full shots.  I hit a couple of flights 50 yard shots and they all stopped after one bounce.  The grooves just seem to grab the ball and create so much spin.

#28 gpleonard

gpleonard

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2017 - 06:29 PM

Played today at Green Hill Golf Course in Worcester.. Used my Cleveland CBX 56* wedge a lot there.. This wedge is really awesome.. I was in a deep bunker, made a good swing sent the ball out on  a good line past the hole and spun it back to about three feet.. I am not a spin doctor so it was something to see. Still no signs of any wear and tear on the Cleveland CBX 56* wedge.. I really think Cleveland has a great wedge for the masses.. Works great from the fairways and is also a great wedge from in close.. With the face having the dual sole it works really well from any lie that you get to play from and it tackles the rough with ease.
Gil Leonard

#29 jgallant415

jgallant415

• 186 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2017 - 07:03 PM

Have now played two full rounds with the CBX in the bag - impressions are pretty consistent with my prior post from testing it in practice. Now that I've adjusted a bit to the slightly higher trajectory and quick stop, I'm finding I can be more aggressive in going at the hole and am now leaving myself shorter putts that with the RTX-3. And the extra confidence knowing I'll get decent contact out of any type of lie is huge from a mental perspective - made some up and downs out of thick rough I probably wouldn't have a few weeks ago. Whole game seems to be clicking, so hard to ascribe it all to the wedge, but 5 straight rounds in the 80s for a (now formerly) 18 handicap says it all. 56* is definitely staying in the bag, and I'm planning to demo a 50* when I get the opportunity.

#30 BCULAW

BCULAW

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,136 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2307
  • Ebay ID:bculaw
GolfWRX Likes : 1626

Posted 18 September 2017 - 06:42 AM

I love the idea behind these wedges, not only for full swings but also for the green side chips and pitches. Most of us don't get the chance to play and practice as much as we like and it is hard to keep a short game sharp. I've always thought it would make sense to have an "idiot proof" scoring club, but there's rarely been such a thing available on the market outside of the good old fashioned Ping Eye 2.  

This looks like great execution by Cleveland.  Forgiving, but versatile grind, with attributes to provide help without completely stifling versatility. Keep the updates coming, guys!

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors