Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Any experience with a full time golf academy/school?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kekoa

kekoa

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,345 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1298

Posted 31 August 2017 - 02:00 PM

I know these academies/school exist, but was wondering if there are some that are considered world renowned here in the states?  I'm referring to academies where juniors golf/practice everyday with scholastic studies mixed in as well.

In speaking to a few International kids at worlds, they attend such academies in their home countries.  I believe in Thailand, their government funds this type of thing.

Assuming money isn't an issue would any of you guys send or kids or consider it?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 leezer99

leezer99

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 94

Posted 31 August 2017 - 02:24 PM

Isn't that what the IMG academy is?  To answer your question, that would never be an option for us.

#3 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 642

Posted 31 August 2017 - 05:48 PM

IMG, Bishops Gates, Don Law Academy at Club Med.

Would never do it.  $50,000.00 a year with no guarantees to make it in golf that comes with a poor education (not at all, but most).  How many guys on the tour do you hear about playing at an academy?  You don't.  24/7 365 days a year is a recipe for injury and that is what it is.  You have all of the media talking about PGA injuries and they are due to lifting weights.  Has nothing to do with lifting the weights.  Has to do with overuse of the body when they were younger.  Play other sports and take breaks.

#4 darter79

darter79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 31 August 2017 - 06:24 PM

Why Would you want to. Let the kid be a kid. I have heard of some kids being homed schooled so they can play practice more. The name Alexa Pano I believe is one I read that about at one point.

#5 Belmont148

Belmont148

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 474430
  • Handicap:16.5
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 31 August 2017 - 07:35 PM

I know a kid who enrolled in a home school academy that worked online so they could play more golf. Got a scholarship at a Div. II school and didn't last a year. I think kids need other peers, and having too much time on your hands just to play a game does not build a very mature individual IMO. Go to a standard public/private school, volunteer, play HS sports, work your tale off and get into college the old fashioned way. I've also seen kids do this to take movie rolls, modeling, etc. Not a good path IMO.

Cobra F7+ Driver 9.5 Fujikura XLR8 stiff
Epic SZ 13.5 HZRDUS T800 65 stiff
King Utility 2/3i- 19* CTL R flex
Cobra Fly Z 4 hyb. 22* Aldila Rogue 85H R flex
Cobra King Forged TEC 5-GW CTL R flex
MD2 Tour 54* and 58* CTL R flex
Odyssey Versa V Line

#6 Sling

Sling

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 178146
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:56 AM

Well unlike the others replying here I have had experience as my son has attended an academy for four years.

He has gone there not just for golf but for various reason of which golf was a nice bonus for him. At this school they have very small class sizes and lots of personal attention. It is extremely expensive but the cost is broken up as follows: Tuition around 20k, Board and lodging around 15k and golf instruction another 20k. So it depends what you are comparing it with, tuition at a top school in Manhattan is easily double that while board for a teenager seems about right, golf tuition at close to 3k a month is indeed expensive but the facilities are pretty good.

They play a fair amount of golf but if anything no more than a normal teenager, almost never more than 18 holes in a day. Weekends on non tournament days are at their leisure and they can choose how much to play if at all. My son has come out a far more rounded individual than when he went in, he has met boys and girls from all over the world, yes the majority from well off families but some there on scholarship. He gets to play with some who are not much more than beginners and some who are in the top half dozen in the US.

Does going to an academy mean you are going to be a pro, of course not, maybe a net dozen golfers a year will ever make it on to the PGA tour and that includes all the academy players and foreigners too. Anyone sending their kid there thinking it is the path to the pros is somewhat deluded. But for the right child and assuming you have the resources it can be a great experience. But no it isn't for everyone.

#7 MathiasAndersen

MathiasAndersen

Denmarkian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 425488
  • Handicap:1
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:41 AM

I attended Bishops Gate Golf Academy for 1 year and that was a great experience. I learned a lot, not just golf but also living on my own at 16 and taking responsibility for myself and my actions. I definitely recommend it, at least for a semester or two, and then it of course depends on the individual athlete as we all are different.
Driver: Taylormade R15 460 9.5* - Graphite Design AD-DI 6X
Wood: Taylormade M1 2017 15* Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 70g S
Hybrid: Titleist 915Hd Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 80g S
Driving Iron: Titleist 716 T-MB 3-iron KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff 110
Irons: Mizuno MP-15 4-p KBS C-Taper Stiff 120
Wedges: Titleist SM5 52*-08* F, 56*-10* M, 60*-07* S
Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour Black

Grips: Golfpride multi compound white/black
Ball: Pro V1

#8 killer21

killer21

Killer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31162
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:05 AM

Interesting topic.
I heard and not even sure where that a lot of the South Korean's send their kids to the U.S. to do their high school at these types of academy schools Ie: Leadbetter Academy etc....sounds like some of them may have been successful golfers.
I am from Canada and there aren't such academies year round here for golf that  I am aware.  There are now a few in Ontario for Hockey though.
Ping I15 8* Fubuki Tour
X-Hot (2006) Vista Pro 80
X-Hot Pro Hybrids 18, 23
Wilson D100 25* Hybrid
X-Tour S300
Vokey 50, 54, 58

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors