Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

2017 Hurricane Season

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 McCann1

McCann1

Tour Player

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 410936
  • Ebay ID:igolfandguitar
GolfWRX Likes : 1375

Posted 31 August 2017 - 11:58 AM

I saw the thread on Hurricane Harvey got shut down so please if you guys could refrain from breaking WRX rules in this one.

I love weather, talking about it, researching weather patterns, yada yada. I have a love/hate relationship with hurricane season because I find it so intriguing and fun to watch but I hate the destruction they bring every now and then. I really feel for the people of Texas but I know they'll bounce back. I was watching TWC and saw there's a potential tropical depression heading there way. I doubt it has enough time to develop but the last thing the Houston area needs is another wave of thunderstorms with heavy rain. The most rainfall ever recorded was in Hawaii in 1950 - 52 inches. Some areas in Texas received 51.88 inches. That's insane.

Also, Cat 2 Hurricane Irma is headed towards the Caribbean and looks like my family in the Dominican will be right in its path. It's too early to tell but it's forecast to get to a Cat 3+ and potentially hit the east coast where I live. We just barely missed a tropical storm here in Wilmington this week.

Looks like this hurricane season could be a bad one based on our start.

Enjoy the chase.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Cajunmike

Cajunmike

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 388934
  • Handicap:12
  • Ebay ID:Dusononliner337
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 31 August 2017 - 12:45 PM

Yup gonna be a wild ride this summer..here in south LA all too familiar with the tropics and watch them regularly during the season. Fascinating and frightening at the same time. Annual part of life here and I'm sure up the gulf and Atlantic coasts as well.  Feel for our neighbors to the west.

#3 McCann1

McCann1

Tour Player

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 01:48 PM

View PostCajunmike, on 31 August 2017 - 12:45 PM, said:

Yup gonna be a wild ride this summer..here in south LA all too familiar with the tropics and watch them regularly during the season. Fascinating and frightening at the same time. Annual part of life here and I'm sure up the gulf and Atlantic coasts as well.  Feel for our neighbors to the west.
I believe climate change happens but that it is a natural cycle... but when you hear people saying global warming will alter our coastlines, I wonder if an increase in storm intensity over a period of say 5-10 years would do it
Enjoy the chase.

#4 Medic

Medic

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,654 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132567
  • Handicap:5.8
GolfWRX Likes : 6955

Posted 31 August 2017 - 05:22 PM

Irma is definitely an attention getter. She is heading down a pathway that could very well take her right up into the gulf. Still WAY too far out there to predict anything. But 100% certain it is one to watch.

And there is a depression forming in the gulf. A low pressure system that has been pounding us with rain here in Florida may drive it further west and south - we can hope - and prevent the Texans from having to put up with any more rain where they don't need it.

I have visited Texas. And Houston. It's an amazing and very special place in this nation. Here's hoping for a full speedy recovery.  My heart goes out to all of those affected. And OP I hope that your family is OK - scary storm out there.
Titleist 915D2 with Kuro Kage 60s in 45.25 set at 12*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Apex CF16 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Slate 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Odyssey Versa 9 34"
Callaway Chrome Soft

#5 McCann1

McCann1

Tour Player

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 10:15 PM

View PostMedic, on 31 August 2017 - 05:22 PM, said:

Irma is definitely an attention getter. She is heading down a pathway that could very well take her right up into the gulf. Still WAY too far out there to predict anything. But 100% certain it is one to watch.

And there is a depression forming in the gulf. A low pressure system that has been pounding us with rain here in Florida may drive it further west and south - we can hope - and prevent the Texans from having to put up with any more rain where they don't need it.

I have visited Texas. And Houston. It's an amazing and very special place in this nation. Here's hoping for a full speedy recovery.  My heart goes out to all of those affected. And OP I hope that your family is OK - scary storm out there.
We'll see. My family is in a poor town but they have managed to get through previous storms alright. Nothing we can do but wait and see what happens. I dealt with my first hurricane last year and thankfully it never made landfall. I'm excited but also fearful of this years hurricane season. It was much better watching from D.C.!

Enjoy the chase.

#6 Aaronwilson_95

Aaronwilson_95

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 442640
GolfWRX Likes : 164

Posted 03 September 2017 - 11:39 PM

Checking in here for Irma , Minnesota native , Florida transplant in west palm beach . It looks like we'll be pretty much landfall position to my untrained eye . Miami -up to west palm is easily 7.5 million population wise . Not sure what that number is season /unseason but these cities are going to take a beating . Our campus is on the intercoastal so if we get bad flooding our campus will be underwater .

#7 McCann1

McCann1

Tour Player

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2017 - 11:24 AM

Still early but forecasts are calling for a FL hit and then it'll track up the coast at a Cat 3 or 4. Could be rough
Enjoy the chase.

#8 McCann1

McCann1

Tour Player

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:27 AM

Irma now Cat 5 with sustained winds of 175 and gusts of 215. That's no joke. Praying that the Carribean doesn't receive too much damage. My mom survived hurricane David in 1979 which was a cat 5 that hit 38 years ago this week. Over 2,000 people in the DR alone died with that storm. Irma is looking more and more like David
Enjoy the chase.

#9 Aaronwilson_95

Aaronwilson_95

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:36 AM

I'm flying out Wednesday back home . Lady on the phone we're experiencing an unusual high amount off calls from Florida, how'd the weather ....

#10 Medic

Medic

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,654 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:52 PM

Now watching Irma very closely. Still way too far out to make any predictions more certain that "good possibility" but...
  • the local markets are completely out of water and canned goods
  • I have been told to be ready to report in Friday and stay for the "duration"
  • plywood is at a premium
I have lived in Florida for most of my life and have been through many, many hurricanes. Nothing worse than a strong 2. This thing is a monster with winds sustained at 185, millibars dropping which indicates strengthening, and a bunch of factors that look like she is going to hurt us here in Florida pretty badly.

Evacuation plans already taken care of. If I am called in my wife heads to safe area and waits until I call her and give her the all clear. Not the first time we have had to do this.

To be honest this is the worst part. I am referring to the waiting. And the uncertainty.

Needless to say the next few days are going to be challenging. And if Governor Scott orders the evacuation of one of the major metro areas - wowsers. Having been a part of that mess before you can imagine - cramming over a million people all at once on roads meant for 1/10th that traffic load with people panicking and rushing. Last time they did it the Bee Line (now Beach Line) was one way - all lanes went away from the coast and inland. Chaos. Pure chaos.

The mountains of Georgia are looking like a really nice place to retire.......

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Odyssey Versa 9 34"
Callaway Chrome Soft

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 McCann1

McCann1

Tour Player

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:02 PM

View PostMedic, on 05 September 2017 - 07:52 PM, said:

Now watching Irma very closely. Still way too far out to make any predictions more certain that "good possibility" but...
I have lived in Florida for most of my life and have been through many, many hurricanes. Nothing worse than a strong 2. This thing is a monster with winds sustained at 185, millibars dropping which indicates strengthening, and a bunch of factors that look like she is going to hurt us here in Florida pretty badly.

Evacuation plans already taken care of. If I am called in my wife heads to safe area and waits until I call her and give her the all clear. Not the first time we have had to do this.

To be honest this is the worst part. I am referring to the waiting. And the uncertainty.

Needless to say the next few days are going to be challenging. And if Governor Scott orders the evacuation of one of the major metro areas - wowsers. Having been a part of that mess before you can imagine - cramming over a million people all at once on roads meant for 1/10th that traffic load with people panicking and rushing. Last time they did it the Bee Line (now Beach Line) was one way - all lanes went away from the coast and inland. Chaos. Pure chaos.

Praying for you. Hope it all goes well. I agree the worst part is the waiting and watching. Can't do anything but that. My moms dad is dying of terminal cancer and probably can't leave his town but if Irma hits the DR as badly as they're forecasting he and thousands of others will have a really big issue.
Enjoy the chase.

#12 Medic

Medic

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,654 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:32 PM

View PostMcCann1, on 05 September 2017 - 08:02 PM, said:

View PostMedic, on 05 September 2017 - 07:52 PM, said:

Praying for you. Hope it all goes well. I agree the worst part is the waiting and watching. Can't do anything but that. My moms dad is dying of terminal cancer and probably can't leave his town but if Irma hits the DR as badly as they're forecasting he and thousands of others will have a really big issue.

Praying for you and yours also. Those islands are so vulnerable. As bad as Irma might be here it will be a lot worse for those Caribbean islands in her pathway.

Very sorry to hear about your family member also. Any other words escape me to be honest. I imagine a tough, independent minded man whose main wish at this point in his life is to stay with loved ones in a place familiar. Little solace I know. Wish I could say more. Will be watching for her to turn a little perhaps away from a direct hit to the DR. Weather Channel is saying the turn north will happen - just no telling when and where.
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Odyssey Versa 9 34"
Callaway Chrome Soft

#13 moegolfer11

moegolfer11

Can I kick it?

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75212
  • Handicap:+1
GolfWRX Likes : 291

Posted 06 September 2017 - 07:52 AM

https://twitter.com/...397012534882306

https://twitter.com/...184657431506945

check these vids out. Pretty crazy stuff

Edited by moegolfer11, 06 September 2017 - 07:53 AM.

Taylormade M2 10.5° Graphite Design AD-BB 7x
Titleist 913 FD 14.5° Diamana 'Ahina 70x
Taylormade Rescue Tour 21° Kurokage 85x
Titleist 716 MB 4-PW Project X 6.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Teryllium Sole Stamp
Vokey SM5 52°  56°  60°

#14 McCann1

McCann1

Tour Player

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:31 PM

https://twitter.com/...530228256145408

Not good
Enjoy the chase.

#15 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 19,385 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
  • Handicap:1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 19252

Posted 06 September 2017 - 08:40 PM

local news did a story on one of my friends, she was in punta cana on honeymoon and the airline send planes to evacuate people from there early. I saw on facebook that they landed a few hours ago in mtl.

Ping G LS Tec 9.5 w/Tour Shaft 65
Callaway XR Pro 14 w/Diamana D+ 80
Callaway Steelhead XR 3 iron w/S300
Callaway Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
Callaway MD Forged 52,56,60 w/S200
Odyssey Versa Works 1W Tank

#16 McCann1

McCann1

Tour Player

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 08:58 PM

View PostMtlJeff, on 06 September 2017 - 08:40 PM, said:

local news did a story on one of my friends, she was in punta cana on honeymoon and the airline send planes to evacuate people from there early. I saw on facebook that they landed a few hours ago in mtl.
I saw that! I also saw Delta online booking jacked up all their prices. $600 tickets were going for like $3,500
Enjoy the chase.

#17 Aaronwilson_95

Aaronwilson_95

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:30 PM

I booked my ticket home from west Palm to Minneapolis Monday morning . The ticket was 220$ or so . Looked yesterday and everything was sold out and what wasnt , Saturday flights that may not even happen were 1300$

#18 xxio

xxio

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,172 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 541
GolfWRX Likes : 358

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:46 PM

I was on the fringes of Yolanda's path when it hit the Philippines 4 years ago.

My company's small ships (400 GRT) had to run engines at 70-80% for 5-6 hours just to fight from being brought out of the safe coves they were already in.

I am part of the ManCom of a local NGO that only ended Yolanda related relief efforts 14months after it hit. the devastation was really unimaginable.

To think 70% of homes in my country are made from concrete (aside from the illegal settlers).

I pray for everyone in Irma's path.

#19 poulters_barber

poulters_barber

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 61295
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 07 September 2017 - 06:47 AM

I have cousins in Vero Beach FL who are no strangers to hurricanes, but this one has them worried.

I love Florida and have visited my cousins many times since the turn of the millennium. We even joined them on a cruise last summer, taking in the Dominican Republic, Puerto Roco, St Kitts and St Maarten. When stuff like this happens though it makes me thankful to be living in the British Isles, despite the dull and gloomy (and anti-golf) weather that we usually get.

My thoughts are with all those affected.

#20 GolfNuts4

GolfNuts4

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 298638
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 545

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:59 AM

Watching it closely from Naples, FL. Looks like it is going to be a big storm. Hunkering down with wife and dog. Supplies are tight, but lots of beer in the fridge. Been through 6 hurricanes but this one looks bad. Prayers to everyone in its path.

Edited by GolfNuts4, 07 September 2017 - 11:07 AM.

Callaway GBB Fusion 10.5* Driver
Callaway GBB Fusion 3 Wood
Ping G30 3 Hybrid
Ping G30 4 Hybrid
Srixon Z565 Irons 5-PW
Cleveland RTX 3.0- 50*/54*/58*
Scotty Cameron California Monterey

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 Waterball6

Waterball6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 447248
  • Handicap:1.9
GolfWRX Likes : 32

Posted 07 September 2017 - 10:37 AM

It's a very interesting storm and doesn't seem to be running out of steam anytime soon.

Be safe everyone!

#22 McCann1

McCann1

Tour Player

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 11:42 AM

Got word from the family in the DR and everyone is safe. There was some minor structural damage thanks to the storm veering north and avoiding a direct hit. There was a lot of rain dumped which resulted in some flash flooding and some coastal storm surge but other than that it's all good. I'd say this was the best case scenario. Hoping for the best for Florida, Georgia, South Carolina.

Side note...how crazy is that earthquake in Mexico?? What is going on with Mother Nature lately..
Enjoy the chase.

#23 Yanki01

Yanki01

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,609 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58157
  • Handicap:5.7
GolfWRX Likes : 1686

Posted 08 September 2017 - 01:50 PM

I live in Corpus Christi which was about 30 miles from where Harvey made landfall. we originally we're sticking it out no matter what being local news was reporting it would be a Cat 1-2 by landfall. Boarded up the house while it was a Cat 2 and then going from a Cat 3 to 4 was a little nerve reckoning to say the least. The winds started early Friday while we were getting more boards. filled up the generator and more gas tanks and hunkered down at my in-laws (our a/c went out 2 days prior and no repair was available until AFTER the storm passed). power went out around 8pm and was watching the winds/rain blow through as the storm made landfall (Friday night/Sat early morning). quite the experience. went inside after we didn't feel safe. tried to sleep but just a lot of noise and waiting until one of the big trees came crashing down. thankfully no major damage, a lot of down fences (my new fence survived!) and down limbs and uprooted trees. no flooding which was my main concern being how much rain they predicted we were going to get. unfortunately cannot say the same about Houston. a few friends had their houses flooded at least knee high. there's been a lot of local help rebuilding damaged homes out in Rockport and the surrounding areas. haven't heard or seen anyone get help from those big "disaster recovery" companies that advertise you to donate to them but that's a topic for another time. thankfully there's good people down here helping each other out.
915D2 Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
712u 4i Recoil F4 110
714 AP2 5-PW Nippon Modus3 Tour 105x
SM6 52.08F, 56.08M & 60.10S grind w/ DGx100 (8i shafts)
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 34/350G

WITB || Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec

#24 rybo

rybo

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16062
  • Handicap:+1.6
GolfWRX Likes : 348

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:50 PM

In Naples and it's going to be an interesting 48-72 hours for sure!  Plenty of food, water, beer, etc.....  

The fact Irma is likely to traverse the entire state from south to north is nuts!

#25 Ping Zings

Ping Zings

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128178
GolfWRX Likes : 234

Posted 09 September 2017 - 03:31 PM

The pins were pulled on Wednesday.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20170909_161712 (2).jpg

Posted Image

#26 SurfDuffer

SurfDuffer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123677
  • Location:A long Par 5 from the Atlantic Ocean and a long Par 3 from the Bay.
GolfWRX Likes : 850

Posted 10 September 2017 - 06:58 AM

There is a plus side to these hurricanes........My 12 year old enjoying some excellent surf yesterday courtesy of Hurricane Irma.

Posted Image

Titleist 915 D2 60gX Rogue Silver
Titleist 906F2 13* ProForce V2 90gX
Titleist 690mb 2-P  6.0PX
Titleist Vokey 52* and 58*
SeeMore FPG Putter

#27 McCann1

McCann1

Tour Player

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:53 AM

Here we go again with Maria. Another cat 5 at the moment
Enjoy the chase.

#28 Medic

Medic

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,654 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2017 - 09:53 PM

View PostSurfDuffer, on 10 September 2017 - 06:58 AM, said:

There is a plus side to these hurricanes........My 12 year old enjoying some excellent surf yesterday courtesy of Hurricane Irma.

Posted Image

Great photo!
He's a "goofy footer" like I used to be when I surfed.

Got to ask. He is wearing a wetsuit. Water is still pretty warm - is he using that for sun protection?

My old haunting ground was 14th Street South in Cocoa Beach. Years ago they sank a tanker about a mile out to create a manmade barrier and it worked wonders for the waves from 12 down to 15. As locals we were very protective of that area. Those were the days!
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Odyssey Versa 9 34"
Callaway Chrome Soft

#29 SurfDuffer

SurfDuffer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123677
  • Location:A long Par 5 from the Atlantic Ocean and a long Par 3 from the Bay.
GolfWRX Likes : 850

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:26 AM

Brisk September morning in NJ.  The sun rising over the ocean is why the wave has that glowing look to it.

Titleist 915 D2 60gX Rogue Silver
Titleist 906F2 13* ProForce V2 90gX
Titleist 690mb 2-P  6.0PX
Titleist Vokey 52* and 58*
SeeMore FPG Putter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors