Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Fundrasing - Junior Golf Tournament?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 darter79

darter79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 31 August 2017 - 09:01 AM

Background I grew up outside the Houston area and of course things are not great down there. I'm  not rich and can't dontate millisons or even thosands of dollars as I would love to be able to do in order to help. I am wanting to do a fundraising event and donate all proceeds to my hometown to help them recover. Does anyone here have any experence with creating a tournment, would like to to be more junior specific. But what format would you use? Is it better to be adult based, or hell both? Thanks and any feedback would be great.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 SkiSchoolPro

SkiSchoolPro

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 469938
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 31 August 2017 - 09:06 AM

Around here many of the fund raising tournaments are scrambles with auction items donated by local businesses. The scramble format is used to appeal to less serious players and often times businesses will sponsor a team. I wouldn't think a junior only format would work very well as they may not have much $ of their own.

A decent amount of planning goes into these fund raisers- obtaining the course, contacting local businesses, getting the word out to players, etc.

Best of luck!

#3 tiger1873

tiger1873

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 31 August 2017 - 09:34 AM

Unless you can team up with a course or perhaps a local club to help you I would avoid trying to do a tournament especially last minute.  By the time your finished with expenses you may not make that much.

I would reach out to local church in the area you want to help and find out what they need and then see if you can coordinate supplies to those in need. It would be great if you work with a local course  or range to give free rounds or a bucket of balls to juniors to practice if they donate to the cause.

#4 Belmont148

Belmont148

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 474430
  • Handicap:16.5
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 31 August 2017 - 09:51 AM

I think you would be better off getting all the junior golfers you know in the area and letting them do a food drive, or supply drive in neighborhoods. Or get involved with the red cross or a church that is sending supplies and let them help bagging, boxing, etc. It will teach them the power of helping others and get them in the habit of volunteering etc. Personally, I don't think a junior would get much out of playing a tournament for charity like they would actually volunteering their time to help those in need.
Cobra F7+ Driver 9.5 Fujikura XLR8 stiff
Epic SZ 13.5 HZRDUS T800 65 stiff
King Utility 2/3i- 19* CTL R flex
Cobra Fly Z 4 hyb. 22* Aldila Rogue 85H R flex
Cobra King Forged TEC 5-GW CTL R flex
MD2 Tour 54* and 58* CTL R flex
Odyssey Versa V Line

#5 joey2aces

joey2aces

not as smart as most but not as gullible either

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 266330
  • Handicap:6.8
GolfWRX Likes : 5127

Posted 31 August 2017 - 10:02 AM

I run a couple charity tournaments... the first one we do is a 100 holes event. 24 golfers raise around $100,000 and our overhead is around $10,000-$12,000 and our organization gets the balance.  The second one is not a fund raiser per say and players simply pay to play in the tournament. $65 a person minus overhead and the charity we sponsor gets around $1200.

Trying to get a scramble together and make some real money in a short amount of time is going to be difficult, especially for juniors.... but, I think a 100 Holes type fundraiser would be your best bet, not a scramble or something like that. I would come up with a name for the event, find a local private course that will let you use the course for the day, normally a Monday since most private clubs are closed that day and they have very little play and have at it.  Maybe your parents or parents of someone you know own a company and they can be the sponsor for certain things... especially the name giving the event some credibility. People are cynic these days and there are a lot of opportunists out there

From there you can reach out to your local radio station, social media, door to door for donations. You can use a site like www.justgive.org or one of those other giving sites for people to donate to. Give yourself a couple months to raise some money.... get some local places to donate water, snacks, fruit etc for the day.

Hope this helps some

Edited by joey2aces, 31 August 2017 - 10:04 AM.

Epic 9* Atmos Black TS 6
epic 15* T800 6.0

Cobra F7 baffler
Srixon 745 4-P Modus 125s
TM Milled Grind 50
Scratch 53
Scratch 57
PXG 03x 60*

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

waiting their day in court
Titleist C16 4-GW Modus 130
2012 Legacy Black 5-P  Modus 120s