Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Honma 737VS Irons?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 EbenSalgado24

EbenSalgado24

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 271908
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 30 August 2017 - 02:36 PM

Been trying to find reviews on these irons but not so much luck. I've seen a lot of people talking about the 737Vn and P but not the VS? Anybody hit them? How did you like them? The Vs should be in the middle category shouldnt it? Any feedback greatly appreciated. Just ordered a set today and should be here tomorrow. If you do play these do you play the wedges as well?

Titleist 915 D2 10.5 / GD AD-DI 7S
Titleist 915F 15 / GD AD-DI 7S
Mizuno JPX-850 2H / Motore Speeder 8.2S
Mizuno MP-54 / KBS Tour 120S
Vokey 50, 55, 60 / DG ONYX Tour Issue
Scotty Cameron Squareback 33"

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 sandy

sandy

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,706 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2351
GolfWRX Likes : 201

Posted 08 September 2017 - 03:41 PM

The order is Vn is the players club with standard lofts, the V is a transition club between players and GI with slightly stronger lofts. The forged GI iron is the Vs with strong lofts. Then slightly more foregiveness and a undercut pocket for face deflection is the P model. Each model starting with the Vn has progressively thinner faces with the P being the thinnest. All the V models are W forged a combination of hot and cold. All forged from S25 carbon steel (softer than 1025). The P model is soft cast from S25 and surprising to many is it feels softer than the forgings that have a chrome plated finish (and a copper underlayment). Because of that they bag dent and ding much easier than the forged model. All have a tremendous feel. Honma/Beres have been around since the 1950s and are a premium brand in Japan, but looks like they are trying to make a mark in the U.S. They supposedly increase in size going from the Vn to the P but having used all of them it must be a fraction of a mm between clubs.  The offset is very minimal but you must see them to judge because they only list face progression on their website. Related but not exactly..

Their drivers in particular the 445 model are absolute bombers. The face on the 445 is as fast as anything being produced today.. No gimmicks, no adjustability, 2 lofts, beautiful shapes, 2 in house shafts that are as exotic as anything produced today. 1 price $500.  445, 450, 455, 460 models with varying sole weight locations for spin control.

They are the company that produces probably the most expensive clubs in the world... Beres 5 star that retail at $3,800 a club (lots of gold used in decoration finish).. Probably mostly for very wealthy Japanese business men to have hanging in the office for conversation piece and to demonstrate conspicuous consumption. Can't imagine anyone playing a club like that..

Have owned Miura, Yonex, Daiwa, Srixon, Bridgestone, Vega, Fourteen, Epon, Kyoei, Seven, Mizuno, Titleist Japan (unique forged clubs like wedges), etc etc. My opinion is Honma produces a better product in the players CB and GI CB than all the others. None of the others come remotely close on drivers or hybrids. As I recall Hideki has used a Honma hybrid for a couple of iterations.

Edited by sandy, 09 September 2017 - 07:44 AM.

#3 nlk10010

nlk10010

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 261162
  • Handicap:oo
GolfWRX Likes : 51

Posted 09 September 2017 - 08:25 AM

Sandy:  PMFJI but do you know, are the shafts in the 737 irons matched to the heads? IOW, I know XXIO does not offer their higher end clubs in custom shaft lengths, someone can cut them down but that voids the warrantee. While I will try to contact Honma USA to find out, I'd be curious if you knew. It seems Yamaha, Yonex, XXIO and some others do not offer custom lengths in their higher-end clubs, rather they match their own shafts from the factory. Odd as I would think that shorter shafts might be popular in the Japanese market (i.e. where a lot of people are like me, 5'3" or so). :)

#4 sandy

sandy

Major Winner

• 4,706 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2017 - 03:41 PM

You can get various length shafts in their irons within reason, but you have to accept the resulting swingweight. D1 is normal at standard length, but if you want +1/4 inch you will get D2. They like Epon and Miura have very tight tolerances on head weights. Steel shaft and graphite shaft head weights, but they don't offer a large weight variety of either graphite or steel shaft weights. Unlike Mizuno and others that make liberal use of weight plugs Honma does not. Just noticed that a GolfWrx contributor did a review of the Honma Vs irons..pretty timely..

Edited by sandy, 09 September 2017 - 08:51 PM.

#5 nlk10010

nlk10010

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2017 - 07:46 AM

View Postsandy, on 09 September 2017 - 03:41 PM, said:

You can get various length shafts in their irons within reason, but you have to accept the resulting swingweight. D1 is normal at standard length, but if you want +1/4 inch you will get D2. They like Epon and Miura have very tight tolerances on head weights. Steel shaft and graphite shaft head weights, but they don't offer a large weight variety of either graphite or steel shaft weights. Unlike Mizuno and others that make liberal use of weight plugs Honma does not. Just noticed that a GolfWrx contributor did a review of the Honma Vs irons..pretty timely..

Thanks.

I was also looking at XXIO and contacted them (@clevelandgolf) and they told me they DO NOT offer custom shaft lengths (except in their low end model, I think XXIO 9) and changing the shaft length would void the warrantee. I'm guessing Honma, Yamaha, and Yonex are the same, which rules them out for me. However, I DO know that Fourteen and Epon are different (I tried both a TC-606 and AF-705 with custom shafts @ Club Champion).

#6 Nixhex524

Nixhex524

Major Winner

• 1,763 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 305437
  • Handicap:4.8
  • Ebay ID:Nixhex524
GolfWRX Likes : 566

Posted 10 September 2017 - 09:07 AM

My buddy plays the 737V.  According to him they are the same lofts as his previous JPX825 Pros, but he is hitting these at least a club longer with Modus 120 stiffs.  Great looking clubs and seem to be very durable so far, I like how they seemed to have designed the 3 lines to be blended easily.  Very nice quality, player look while being very forgiving.
Cobra LTD Black Rogue Black 60x
Titleist 913 Fd 15* Speeder 757 TS
Titleist 913h 19* Proforce V2 86
Titleist 913h 21* Proforce V2 90
Titleist 695mb 4-P PX 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM6 52-12/58-12
Scotty Cameron Del Mar

#7 theshadow1971

theshadow1971

Shadow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 375724
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 50

Posted 10 September 2017 - 11:03 AM

View Postnlk10010, on 10 September 2017 - 07:46 AM, said:

Thanks.

I was also looking at XXIO and contacted them (@clevelandgolf) and they told me they DO NOT offer custom shaft lengths (except in their low end model, I think XXIO 9) and changing the shaft length would void the warrantee. I'm guessing Honma, Yamaha, and Yonex are the same, which rules them out for me. However, I DO know that Fourteen and Epon are different (I tried both a TC-606 and AF-705 with custom shafts @ Club Champion).

XXIO doesn't have a "low end model" . XXIO is offered in custom shafts and lengths and SW.  Go to Rakuten in Japan.  You'll find sellers offers choice of shafts, lengths, sw etc.  You will just have to search through the sellers listings to find ones that do customise.
When on rakuten search for  XXIO obviously but you find a lot of sellers listing clubs under Dunlop.

Here is a link to one seller on rakuten.

https://global.rakut...1612h000007462/
Srixon (asian specs)

Z545 10.5* Driver
Z F45 15* 3W
Z H45 19* 3 Hybrid
Z745 3-PW

Z745 AW@51* & SW@57*

Cleveland Classic HB 2 Black Pearl Putter
Bridgestone B330RXS

#8 nlk10010

nlk10010

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2017 - 11:51 AM

Thanks for offering to help.

I never said the clubs weren't offered in custom lengths, I said I was told by XXIO that they don't offer them and that changing the shaft lengths voids the warrantee.

As to "lower end", depends on your definition of the term. I used it (and granted, I didn't make it clear) to denote XXIO's lowest end club, which IS offered by them in custom shaft lengths.

#9 sandy

sandy

Major Winner

• 4,706 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2017 - 11:58 AM

View Postnlk10010, on 10 September 2017 - 07:46 AM, said:

Thanks.

Makes sense since Epon is component sales (not sure about Fourteen), not club builders. Epon has recommendations based on head weight ordered, but the club builder is free to use any shaft in any configuration he wants. Customer will determine if the club is playable..Always surprised me that Miura, Epon etc sell heads to builders and then have their reputations dependent on hacks to master club builders.

Honma and others control everything (very little custom + - 1/2 inch in lengths) no adjustability, no alternate weights, 2 steel shafts, 2 graphite shafts. Take it or leave it. But always back warranties if club hasn't been "meddled" with. Seen them replace a club that was fairly obviously abused (broken driver shaft). Only requirement no "meddling". Not sure if changing grips counts as their grips are easily the best available. still have original grips years later, still tacky, not dried up, not oxidized, not worn. Try 3+ years on a golf pride grip playing 100s of rounds..

Edited by sandy, 10 September 2017 - 12:07 PM.

#10 theshadow1971

theshadow1971

Shadow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 375724
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 50

Posted 10 September 2017 - 01:30 PM

View Postnlk10010, on 10 September 2017 - 11:51 AM, said:

I never said the clubs weren't offered in custom lengths, I said I was told by XXIO that they don't offer them and that changing the shaft lengths voids the warrantee.

As to "lower end", depends on your definition of the term. I used it (and granted, I didn't make it clear) to denote XXIO's lowest end club, which IS offered by them in custom shaft lengths.

My bad, i didn't read carefully.  But XXIO USA seems tough very different to Asia where I am based.  A lot of clubs sold on Rakuten which are custom usually the order is filled by the manufacturer and passed through the dealer/shop to the customer.

IF you want something else to consider have a look a grindworks dual cavity irons.

Srixon (asian specs)

Z545 10.5* Driver
Z F45 15* 3W
Z H45 19* 3 Hybrid
Z745 3-PW

Z745 AW@51* & SW@57*

Cleveland Classic HB 2 Black Pearl Putter
Bridgestone B330RXS

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 nlk10010

nlk10010

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2017 - 12:20 PM

View Posttheshadow1971, on 10 September 2017 - 01:30 PM, said:

View Postnlk10010, on 10 September 2017 - 11:51 AM, said:

My bad, i didn't read carefully.  But XXIO USA seems tough very different to Asia where I am based.  A lot of clubs sold on Rakuten which are custom usually the order is filled by the manufacturer and passed through the dealer/shop to the customer.

IF you want something else to consider have a look a grindworks dual cavity irons.

NP. As I say, you were trying to help, that's always appreciated. Besides, I didn't make it clear that this was from XXIO USA. I'm reluctant to purchase outside of the authorized USA channel.

Really, I understand why Honma and XXIO (and others) sell with matched shafts but, as I say, at 5' 3" I can't risk normal length/normal lie clubs. Perhaps the XXIO 9 or I'll take a look at Grindworks.

Thanks.

#12 FairwayGolfUSA.com

FairwayGolfUSA.com

Major Winner

• Sponsors
  • 1,566 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 185658
  • Handicap:0.0
  • Ebay ID:FairwayGolfUSA
GolfWRX Likes : 283

Posted 30 September 2017 - 01:30 PM

View PostEbenSalgado24, on 30 August 2017 - 02:36 PM, said:

Been trying to find reviews on these irons but not so much luck. I've seen a lot of people talking about the 737Vn and P but not the VS? Anybody hit them? How did you like them? The Vs should be in the middle category shouldnt it? Any feedback greatly appreciated. Just ordered a set today and should be here tomorrow. If you do play these do you play the wedges as well?

Many of our customers tend to play the Honma wedges, because they offer a lot of bite/spin on the ball.

Check them out here --------------------------> http://www.fairwaygo...main_page=index
Fairway Golf Online Store :golfer:
Email: support@fairwaygolf.com
Instagram:https://instagram.com/fairwaygolfusa/
Phone: 1-619-702-1702

#13 golftech

golftech

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 43589
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 30 September 2017 - 04:05 PM

View PostFairwayGolfUSA.com, on 30 September 2017 - 01:30 PM, said:

View PostEbenSalgado24, on 30 August 2017 - 02:36 PM, said:

Many of our customers tend to play the Honma wedges, because they offer a lot of bite/spin on the ball.

Check them out here --------------------------> http://www.fairwaygo...main_page=index
——

What’s the typical trajectory on the wedges?  Looking at a 52/58 combo and like to hit low or medium spinners.

#14 FairwayGolfUSA.com

FairwayGolfUSA.com

Major Winner

• Sponsors
  • 1,566 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 185658
  • Handicap:0.0
  • Ebay ID:FairwayGolfUSA
GolfWRX Likes : 283

Posted 07 October 2017 - 01:30 PM

Really great set of irons. Little bit harder than the Miura's, but it depends what shafts you put.

customize your set here!!! -------------> http://www.fairwaygolfusa.com/japan/
Fairway Golf Online Store :golfer:
Email: support@fairwaygolf.com
Instagram:https://instagram.com/fairwaygolfusa/
Phone: 1-619-702-1702

#15 orangeruffy

orangeruffy

• 204 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55662
  • Handicap:3.0
  • Ebay ID:none
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 09 October 2017 - 05:46 AM

Go to Honma USA website or Carl's Golfland website/brick and mortar stores where I bought mine. I had them install Modus 3 120 shafts in mine for no upcharge. Also had them .5" over standard, no grips. Still warrantied. These are just great irons!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors