Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Ultra Light Weight Bag Battle - Which do you have??


120 replies to this topic

#61 3putt4thewin

3putt4thewin

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 429844
  • Joined: 06/21/2016
  • Location:Wisconsin
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 17 October 2017 - 12:14 PM

 Tommyj, on 16 October 2017 - 06:11 AM, said:

 3putt4thewin, on 31 August 2017 - 12:29 PM, said:

 Z1ggy16, on 31 August 2017 - 10:37 AM, said:

3Putt - Did you have the original 2Five?

I did for about 2 weeks.  Couldn't stand the pockets so I went with a 3.5LS until I saw the 2.5+ in late July.

3Putt - just trying to decide between the 2.5+ and the 3.5LS.  Does the 2.5+ have the exact same top as the 3.5LS, both are listed on the SM website as being 9"-4 ways.  I love the look of the 2.5+, but its probably pretty close to 3 lb.  If that's the case, why wouldn't you go with the 3.5LS if its only an extra half pound, has better padding on the straps, probably better material all around and more storage.  Or is there something about the carrying experience that is so much better with the 2.5+?

Also, on the question of durability - I have a 3.5 from around 2013 which is pretty well bullet proof.  All the new SM lightweight bags seem to have a lot more thin plastic, lighter legs and thinner material, which makes me wonder how they are going to stand up over time.

I found the 2.5+ to feel quite a bit lighter than the 3.5LS (which is still a great bag).  I think the 2.5+ is closer to the 3.5LS material than the original 2.5, so maybe that's why the weight is also closer.  As far as the top opening, yes, same size, same configuration on both the 2.5+ and the 3.5LS.  To me I wanted the absolute lightest bag possible that could still handle a full set of clubs and all the things I consider essential on the golf course.  For me the 2.5+ does it better than the 3.5LS especially on the days where I end up carrying 36 holes or more.  

I can't speak to the durability yet, but I have close to 40 rounds on the 2.5+ and it still looks brand new.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#62 bodhi555

bodhi555

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 442408
  • Joined: 10/04/2016
  • Location:Staffordshire, UK
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 455

Posted 17 October 2017 - 05:08 PM

Worth looking at with the Sun Mountain bags is the Zero G strap they do for them - a third strap that means the bag sits more like a rucksack with the weight round your waist.

I had started looking into electric trolleys as my Four5 was proving a bit heavy when full, got one of these straps and decided not to bother - they are that comfortable.
The Blue Thunder: Nike Vapor Fly - 9.5 degree - Speeder Evolution 757X
The Stenson: Nike Vapor Fly 3W - Diamana Blueboard 70S+
The Fairway Finder: Nike Vapor Fly Pro 2 Iron - KBS C-Taper 120S Shaft
The Blades: Nike VR Pro 4i - PW - DG S400 TI Shaft
The Rusties: Nike Engage 50, 54 Square Sole, 58 Toe Sweep
The Putter: Scotty Cameron California Del Mar - 34"
Balls: Nike RZN Tour Black/Platinum, Bridgestone Tour B XS, Titleist AVX
Bag: Sun Mountain Four Five

Also in Rotation:

Spare Driver: Nike Covert Tour - Kuro Kage 60X
Fairway Woods: Nike Vapor Fly 5W - Diamana Blueboard 70S+
Putters: Yonex Super A.D.X Tour Forged / Scotty Cameron Newport Oil Can / Hogan Radial P51

2

#63 SwingMan

SwingMan

    SwingMan

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,496 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2726
  • Joined: 07/15/2005
  • Location:DFW Texas
  • Handicap:9.8
GolfWRX Likes : 1161

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:16 PM

 Tommyj, on 16 October 2017 - 06:11 AM, said:

 3putt4thewin, on 31 August 2017 - 12:29 PM, said:

 Z1ggy16, on 31 August 2017 - 10:37 AM, said:

3Putt - Did you have the original 2Five?

I did for about 2 weeks.  Couldn't stand the pockets so I went with a 3.5LS until I saw the 2.5+ in late July.

3Putt - just trying to decide between the 2.5+ and the 3.5LS.  Does the 2.5+ have the exact same top as the 3.5LS, both are listed on the SM website as being 9"-4 ways.  I love the look of the 2.5+, but its probably pretty close to 3 lb.  If that's the case, why wouldn't you go with the 3.5LS if its only an extra half pound, has better padding on the straps, probably better material all around and more storage.  Or is there something about the carrying experience that is so much better with the 2.5+?

Also, on the question of durability - I have a 3.5 from around 2013 which is pretty well bullet proof.  All the new SM lightweight bags seem to have a lot more thin plastic, lighter legs and thinner material, which makes me wonder how they are going to stand up over time.

2.5+ amd 3.5 have the same top. I've heard the 3.5LS material gets caught in the legs.

Compared to the 2.5, which I also own, the 2.5+ has better straps, thicker hip padding, more comfort, a full ball pocket, water bottle pocket, and better materials. Feels like a real, full-time bag. Have carried about 4 rounds with it - it's great.
"My swing is so bad, I look like a caveman killing his lunch" - Lee Trevino

Bag: Ping G400 Max/TPT Golf Series 17 ● Exotics EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd ● Rogue 4H GD AD HY75, PXG 0317 5H/Tensei CK Pro Red 70 ● PXG 0311 XF 6-PW/Mitsubishi OT 75, Ping Glide 2.0 50, 56ES, 60SS ●DF Reno

3

#64 Tommyj

Tommyj

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40570
  • Joined: 10/08/2007
  • Location:Toronto, Canada
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:32 PM

Definitely going with the 2.5+.  Checked with SM, they told me the 2.5+ weighs 2.6lb and the 3.5 is around 3.7lb, so more of a difference than I thought.  Love the clean look of the 2.5+ and it has all the pockets I need.

Swingman, you're correct about the 3.5LS - the material from the long pocket gets catch between the leg and the body of the bag.  No a huge problem but a bit annoying if you have to adjust it every time you pick up the bag.

4

#65 duffer987

duffer987

    Wears trousers.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,245 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 201269
  • Joined: 09/03/2012
  • Location:Canadian in Texas
  • Handicap:7.4
GolfWRX Likes : 6348

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:00 AM

For anyone looking to pick up a standard 2017 SM 2.5, Dallasgolf's ebay store has a bunch of unbranded ones for sale right now for around $140.


5

#66 jt2gt

jt2gt

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88706
  • Joined: 07/16/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 81

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:30 AM

 duffer987, on 19 October 2017 - 09:00 AM, said:

For anyone looking to pick up a standard 2017 SM 2.5, Dallasgolf's ebay store has a bunch of unbranded ones for sale right now for around $140.

Saw this...the unbranded ones look really good to me.  Was the 2.5 actually under 2.5lbs?  Is this the lightest bag that will hold 14 fairly easily?  Anything else out there...even without stand legs? Why hasn't anyone come out with a cool 1 strap non stand carry bag that's lighter?  

Thanks, JT

Edited by jt2gt, 19 October 2017 - 11:20 AM.


6

#67 medicoreMAgolfer

medicoreMAgolfer

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 425552
  • Joined: 05/17/2016
  • Location:Massachusetts
GolfWRX Likes : 82

Posted 22 October 2017 - 07:59 AM

 jt2gt, on 19 October 2017 - 10:30 AM, said:

Saw this...the unbranded ones look really good to me.  Was the 2.5 actually under 2.5lbs?  Is this the lightest bag that will hold 14 fairly easily?  Anything else out there...even without stand legs? Why hasn't anyone come out with a cool 1 strap non stand carry bag that's lighter?  

Thanks, JT

1. My pro told me he can order any sun mountain bag unbranded or can have our club logo added.  That's the way to go as the 2.5 branding is a bit too much to take.  Of course, you're paying full price on that one

2. You asked a good question - why isn't there something lighter that can hold 14 clubs - there just isn't demand for super light non stand bags today.  I have a Calloway from 2016 that is standless, Sunday-style bag that weighs about 2.6 and holds 14 clubs but I believe they discontinued it and now they have their own super light stand bag.  Jones Players Series is a bit over 3lbs.

7

#68 North Butte

North Butte

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,861 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
  • Joined: 05/09/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 6931

Posted 22 October 2017 - 08:12 AM

When they can make a bag with a stand as the 2-Five it isn't surprising there's no demand for a full sized bag with no stand. What would be the advantage if not weight?
Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.

8

#69 BYK

BYK

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291513
  • Joined: 01/12/2014
  • Location:Cardinals Nation
GolfWRX Likes : 394

Posted 22 October 2017 - 01:57 PM

 duffer987, on 19 October 2017 - 09:00 AM, said:

For anyone looking to pick up a standard 2017 SM 2.5, Dallasgolf's ebay store has a bunch of unbranded ones for sale right now for around $140.

Just picked another one up
Love the unbranded versions, thanks for the heads up
Yadi for President

9

#70 Tommyj

Tommyj

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40570
  • Joined: 10/08/2007
  • Location:Toronto, Canada
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 22 October 2017 - 04:07 PM

 duffer987, on 19 October 2017 - 09:00 AM, said:

For anyone looking to pick up a standard 2017 SM 2.5, Dallasgolf's ebay store has a bunch of unbranded ones for sale right now for around $140.

Very cool, all of their SM bags are unbranded, didn't even know you could get that.  Loads of color choices in the 2.5.  I know this thread is for ultra light bags, but DG also has great closeout prices on the heavier SM stand bags.

Looks like the Dallas Golf prices are $10 higher in the eBay store compared with pricing on their website.

Edited by Tommyj, 22 October 2017 - 05:18 PM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#71 Lancj1

Lancj1

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 378618
  • Joined: 06/01/2015
  • Location:St Helens, Merseyside, UK
  • Handicap:18
  • Ebay ID:Lancj1
GolfWRX Likes : 415

Posted 23 October 2017 - 08:49 AM

Sun Mountain H2NO ultralite 2017 model is good. Not in the '18!range

I note there is a H2NO Sunday back to be released in Nov 18
Disclaimer*

I'm a handicap golfer in my 50's. Any opinions I have about golf equipment or professional golfers or the game in general should be taken as seriously as you would the opinions of a random guy in the fourball ahead of you who just shot 92 but is usually better than that.

11

#72 duffer987

duffer987

    Wears trousers.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,245 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 201269
  • Joined: 09/03/2012
  • Location:Canadian in Texas
  • Handicap:7.4
GolfWRX Likes : 6348

Posted 23 October 2017 - 09:09 AM

 Lancj1, on 23 October 2017 - 08:49 AM, said:

Sun Mountain H2NO ultralite 2017 model is good. Not in the '18!range

I note there is a H2NO Sunday bag to be released in Nov 18

Mine is on its way. I just couldn't resist :)
Takes a bit longer as it has to cross the pond though.

12

#73 Z1ggy16

Z1ggy16

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,496 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 430110
  • Joined: 06/22/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 1724

Posted 23 October 2017 - 09:56 AM

 North Butte, on 22 October 2017 - 08:12 AM, said:

When they can make a bag with a stand as the 2-Five it isn't surprising there's no demand for a full sized bag with no stand. What would be the advantage if not weight?
My Sync bag (medium to medium large cart bag) has a lot more storage space. I've had other bags around that size that were carry bags, and it just wasn't pleasant.  Much too heavy and bulky to carry for 18, while the 2-five is very light and easy to haul around endless. The down side to the 2 five is that it's not meant to ride with. The way the dividers and construction of the bag are, they face the wrong direction for cart driving. Therefore, the bags serve two different markets... you get the uber light stand bags like 2.5, then your heavier and studier non carry cart bags like the Sync or the C-130 that happen to fit much better in push carts or regular drive carts.  I don't think there's that many people who are going to actually walk with the 4.5/5.5 LS. I would think most of them ride with it but like the legs because you can easily bring it to the range.

Edited by Z1ggy16, 23 October 2017 - 09:57 AM.

WITB
DR - '16 M2 Speeder Evo II 661 (Srixon Z785 on order)
3W - Rogue SZ Evenflow Blue 75 (F8 2kXV Blue 75 back up)
3h - JPX 850 Tensei Blue 80
Irons - P790 4-PW Modus 120
GW - Cobra Trusty 50/8 Modus Wedge 115
SW - Cobra Trusty 54/10 Modus Wedge 115 for firm turf/Taylormade Fe2O3 56/14 DG S200 for medium & soft
LW - Cobra Trusty 60/6 Modus Wedge 115
P - Custom Oil Soaked Xenon (Odyssey O Works Tank #7 backup)
Ball - Project (a) [Testing Q Star Tour's for WRX]
Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

13

#74 North Butte

North Butte

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,861 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
  • Joined: 05/09/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 6931

Posted 23 October 2017 - 09:58 AM

 Z1ggy16, on 23 October 2017 - 09:56 AM, said:

 North Butte, on 22 October 2017 - 08:12 AM, said:

When they can make a bag with a stand as the 2-Five it isn't surprising there's no demand for a full sized bag with no stand. What would be the advantage if not weight?
My Sync bag (medium to medium large cart bag) has a lot more storage space. I've had other bags around that size that were carry bags, and it just wasn't pleasant. Much too heavy and bulky to carry for 18, while the 2-five is very light and easy to haul around endless. The down side to the 2 five is that it's not meant to ride with. The way the dividers and construction of the bag are, they face the wrong direction for cart driving. Therefore, the bags serve two different markets... you get the uber light stand bags like 2.5, then your heavier and studier non carry cart bags like the Sync or the C-130.  I don't think there's that many people who are going to actually walk with the 4.5/5.5 LS. I would think most of them ride with it but like the legs because you can easily bring it to the range.

I was referring to the question of why nobody makes something as light as the 2-Five with room for a full set of clubs but no stand. Not to heavier bags, with or without stands.
Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.

14

#75 Matt J

Matt J

    Hall of Fame

  • Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,937 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 339857
  • Joined: 09/17/2014
  • Location:United States
GolfWRX Likes : 11094

Posted 23 October 2017 - 10:04 AM

 duffer987, on 23 October 2017 - 09:09 AM, said:

 Lancj1, on 23 October 2017 - 08:49 AM, said:

Sun Mountain H2NO ultralite 2017 model is good. Not in the '18!range

I note there is a H2NO Sunday bag to be released in Nov 18

Mine is on its way. I just couldn't resist :)
Takes a bit longer as it has to cross the pond though.

Europe only release?

I'm using the Titleist 4up stadry stand bag and although I don't know if it's technically "super" light, I've enjoyed it.  I'd definitely recommend waterproof.  I won't own another golf bag that isn't waterproof.


15

#76 duffer987

duffer987

    Wears trousers.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,245 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 201269
  • Joined: 09/03/2012
  • Location:Canadian in Texas
  • Handicap:7.4
GolfWRX Likes : 6348

Posted 23 October 2017 - 10:32 AM

 Matt J, on 23 October 2017 - 10:04 AM, said:

 duffer987, on 23 October 2017 - 09:09 AM, said:

 Lancj1, on 23 October 2017 - 08:49 AM, said:

Sun Mountain H2NO ultralite 2017 model is good. Not in the '18!range

I note there is a H2NO Sunday bag to be released in Nov 18

Mine is on its way. I just couldn't resist :)
Takes a bit longer as it has to cross the pond though.

Europe only release?

I'm using the Titleist 4up stadry stand bag and although I don't know if it's technically "super" light, I've enjoyed it.  I'd definitely recommend waterproof.  I won't own another golf bag that isn't waterproof.
Who knows with SM, but it seems that way.
The 4UP is great. I got one for a song when Golfsmith closed, but unfortunately the rubbery base didn't work with my Clicgear, so I went to the Ping Monsoon.
The 4UP must have been the lightest waterproof bag around - before this SM Sunday bag got released.

Edited by duffer987, 23 October 2017 - 10:32 AM.


16

#77 Matt J

Matt J

    Hall of Fame

  • Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,937 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 339857
  • Joined: 09/17/2014
  • Location:United States
GolfWRX Likes : 11094

Posted 23 October 2017 - 10:41 AM

I have the stadry cart bag I use with my clic gear and the carry bag, too.  Funny, I've been traveling with both.  Catch a little snicker from travel partners, but I love it.  The carry bag is so light and small and you can use it to organize your stuff even if you don't use it.  When I fly, it's the carry only, but I don't use the clic gear either.

17

#78 Z1ggy16

Z1ggy16

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,496 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 430110
  • Joined: 06/22/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 1724

Posted 23 October 2017 - 11:09 AM

 North Butte, on 23 October 2017 - 09:58 AM, said:

 Z1ggy16, on 23 October 2017 - 09:56 AM, said:

 North Butte, on 22 October 2017 - 08:12 AM, said:

When they can make a bag with a stand as the 2-Five it isn't surprising there's no demand for a full sized bag with no stand. What would be the advantage if not weight?
My Sync bag (medium to medium large cart bag) has a lot more storage space. I've had other bags around that size that were carry bags, and it just wasn't pleasant. Much too heavy and bulky to carry for 18, while the 2-five is very light and easy to haul around endless. The down side to the 2 five is that it's not meant to ride with. The way the dividers and construction of the bag are, they face the wrong direction for cart driving. Therefore, the bags serve two different markets... you get the uber light stand bags like 2.5, then your heavier and studier non carry cart bags like the Sync or the C-130.  I don't think there's that many people who are going to actually walk with the 4.5/5.5 LS. I would think most of them ride with it but like the legs because you can easily bring it to the range.

I was referring to the question of why nobody makes something as light as the 2-Five with room for a full set of clubs but no stand. Not to heavier bags, with or without stands.
Doesn't need to be light because no stand generally means, no carry. No carry means it can be heavy because a cart or doing all the work. Also I suspect if it was very light, most of the bag's support would be made from carbon fiber or very light metals like titanium or aluminum, plus ultra light mesh and polymers. Basically... it'd be really expensive I would assume.
WITB
DR - '16 M2 Speeder Evo II 661 (Srixon Z785 on order)
3W - Rogue SZ Evenflow Blue 75 (F8 2kXV Blue 75 back up)
3h - JPX 850 Tensei Blue 80
Irons - P790 4-PW Modus 120
GW - Cobra Trusty 50/8 Modus Wedge 115
SW - Cobra Trusty 54/10 Modus Wedge 115 for firm turf/Taylormade Fe2O3 56/14 DG S200 for medium & soft
LW - Cobra Trusty 60/6 Modus Wedge 115
P - Custom Oil Soaked Xenon (Odyssey O Works Tank #7 backup)
Ball - Project (a) [Testing Q Star Tour's for WRX]
Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

18

#79 duffer987

duffer987

    Wears trousers.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,245 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 201269
  • Joined: 09/03/2012
  • Location:Canadian in Texas
  • Handicap:7.4
GolfWRX Likes : 6348

Posted 23 October 2017 - 11:37 AM

 Z1ggy16, on 23 October 2017 - 11:09 AM, said:

 North Butte, on 23 October 2017 - 09:58 AM, said:

 Z1ggy16, on 23 October 2017 - 09:56 AM, said:

 North Butte, on 22 October 2017 - 08:12 AM, said:

When they can make a bag with a stand as the 2-Five it isn't surprising there's no demand for a full sized bag with no stand. What would be the advantage if not weight?
My Sync bag (medium to medium large cart bag) has a lot more storage space. I've had other bags around that size that were carry bags, and it just wasn't pleasant. Much too heavy and bulky to carry for 18, while the 2-five is very light and easy to haul around endless. The down side to the 2 five is that it's not meant to ride with. The way the dividers and construction of the bag are, they face the wrong direction for cart driving. Therefore, the bags serve two different markets... you get the uber light stand bags like 2.5, then your heavier and studier non carry cart bags like the Sync or the C-130.  I don't think there's that many people who are going to actually walk with the 4.5/5.5 LS. I would think most of them ride with it but like the legs because you can easily bring it to the range.

I was referring to the question of why nobody makes something as light as the 2-Five with room for a full set of clubs but no stand. Not to heavier bags, with or without stands.
Doesn't need to be light because no stand generally means, no carry. No carry means it can be heavy because a cart or doing all the work. Also I suspect if it was very light, most of the bag's support would be made from carbon fiber or very light metals like titanium or aluminum, plus ultra light mesh and polymers. Basically... it'd be really expensive I would assume.

Zig - you are talking past NB's point - he is referring to those bags (like Jones bags and Sunday bags) explicitly for carrying that you might choose instead of a 2.5/2.5+
He is not talking about cart bags. Why buy a 'light' bag for walking without a stand, when we have this SM 2.5 option :)

19

#80 Z1ggy16

Z1ggy16

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,496 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 430110
  • Joined: 06/22/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 1724

Posted 23 October 2017 - 11:41 AM

 duffer987, on 23 October 2017 - 11:37 AM, said:

 Z1ggy16, on 23 October 2017 - 11:09 AM, said:

 North Butte, on 23 October 2017 - 09:58 AM, said:

 Z1ggy16, on 23 October 2017 - 09:56 AM, said:

 North Butte, on 22 October 2017 - 08:12 AM, said:

When they can make a bag with a stand as the 2-Five it isn't surprising there's no demand for a full sized bag with no stand. What would be the advantage if not weight?
My Sync bag (medium to medium large cart bag) has a lot more storage space. I've had other bags around that size that were carry bags, and it just wasn't pleasant. Much too heavy and bulky to carry for 18, while the 2-five is very light and easy to haul around endless. The down side to the 2 five is that it's not meant to ride with. The way the dividers and construction of the bag are, they face the wrong direction for cart driving. Therefore, the bags serve two different markets... you get the uber light stand bags like 2.5, then your heavier and studier non carry cart bags like the Sync or the C-130.  I don't think there's that many people who are going to actually walk with the 4.5/5.5 LS. I would think most of them ride with it but like the legs because you can easily bring it to the range.

I was referring to the question of why nobody makes something as light as the 2-Five with room for a full set of clubs but no stand. Not to heavier bags, with or without stands.
Doesn't need to be light because no stand generally means, no carry. No carry means it can be heavy because a cart or doing all the work. Also I suspect if it was very light, most of the bag's support would be made from carbon fiber or very light metals like titanium or aluminum, plus ultra light mesh and polymers. Basically... it'd be really expensive I would assume.

Zig - you are talking past NB's point - he is referring to those bags (like Jones bags and Sunday bags) explicitly for carrying that you might choose instead of a 2.5/2.5+
He is not talking about cart bags. Why buy a 'light' bag for walking without a stand, when we have this SM 2.5 option :)
Yeah guess I wasn't interpreting his question right. That's a good question... there's no reason. Every walking bag needs a stand... lol, otherwise what's the point.

WITB
DR - '16 M2 Speeder Evo II 661 (Srixon Z785 on order)
3W - Rogue SZ Evenflow Blue 75 (F8 2kXV Blue 75 back up)
3h - JPX 850 Tensei Blue 80
Irons - P790 4-PW Modus 120
GW - Cobra Trusty 50/8 Modus Wedge 115
SW - Cobra Trusty 54/10 Modus Wedge 115 for firm turf/Taylormade Fe2O3 56/14 DG S200 for medium & soft
LW - Cobra Trusty 60/6 Modus Wedge 115
P - Custom Oil Soaked Xenon (Odyssey O Works Tank #7 backup)
Ball - Project (a) [Testing Q Star Tour's for WRX]
Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#81 medicoreMAgolfer

medicoreMAgolfer

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 425552
  • Joined: 05/17/2016
  • Location:Massachusetts
GolfWRX Likes : 82

Posted 23 October 2017 - 12:50 PM

 Z1ggy16, on 23 October 2017 - 11:41 AM, said:

Yeah guess I wasn't interpreting his question right. That's a good question... there's no reason. Every walking bag needs a stand... lol, otherwise what's the point.

I carry (or use a Caddy) on 95% of my rounds, and my usual bag does NOT have a stand.  I like the simplicity of it.  Caddies don't usually like it until they feel how light my bag is (although I am sure they would prefer a 2.5!  I agree with the original poster, though.  If SM can have a 2.5 lb bag with stands that has the features it does - they should be able to have an even lighter bag without stands - but they don't...  I am sure lack demand is the reason

Edited by medicoreMAgolfer, 23 October 2017 - 12:51 PM.


21

#82 stuart.f.cohen

stuart.f.cohen

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23759
  • Joined: 01/09/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 23 October 2017 - 01:53 PM

 Matt J, on 23 October 2017 - 10:04 AM, said:

 duffer987, on 23 October 2017 - 09:09 AM, said:

 Lancj1, on 23 October 2017 - 08:49 AM, said:

Sun Mountain H2NO ultralite 2017 model is good. Not in the '18!range

I note there is a H2NO Sunday bag to be released in Nov 18

Mine is on its way. I just couldn't resist :)
Takes a bit longer as it has to cross the pond though.

Europe only release?

I'm using the Titleist 4up stadry stand bag and although I don't know if it's technically "super" light, I've enjoyed it.  I'd definitely recommend waterproof.  I won't own another golf bag that isn't waterproof.

Can someone please confirm that the H2NO Sunday Bag is available in the US after November 18?  That is big and exactly what I want.  The 2.5 has been  great for the last year but I always liked my Sunday bags better.  Small, a little lighter, very comfortable and held a pullover and 14 clubs without an issue.  Fingers Crossed

22

#83 jt2gt

jt2gt

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88706
  • Joined: 07/16/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 81

Posted 23 October 2017 - 06:58 PM

 medicoreMAgolfer, on 23 October 2017 - 12:50 PM, said:

 Z1ggy16, on 23 October 2017 - 11:41 AM, said:

Yeah guess I wasn't interpreting his question right. That's a good question... there's no reason. Every walking bag needs a stand... lol, otherwise what's the point.

I carry (or use a Caddy) on 95% of my rounds, and my usual bag does NOT have a stand.  I like the simplicity of it.  Caddies don't usually like it until they feel how light my bag is (although I am sure they would prefer a 2.5!  I agree with the original poster, though.  If SM can have a 2.5 lb bag with stands that has the features it does - they should be able to have an even lighter bag without stands - but they don't...  I am sure lack demand is the reason

This is really what I was asking...if SM lightest stand bag is 2.5 why can't someone make a sturdy Jones type bag (w/o stand) that is under 2 or 1.5.  Jones bags...the lightest of the sturdy no stand bags is still over 3.  Maybe the new H2NO Sunday bag is the one....not sure if it is even lighter than the original 2.5...which I think is more like 2lbs.

23

#84 baboya96

baboya96

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 450402
  • Joined: 01/02/2017
  • Location:Atlanta, GA
  • Handicap:7
  • Ebay ID:baboya96
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 28 October 2017 - 01:38 PM

 duffer987, on 19 October 2017 - 09:00 AM, said:

For anyone looking to pick up a standard 2017 SM 2.5, Dallasgolf's ebay store has a bunch of unbranded ones for sale right now for around $140.

For those that have 2.5 + is that worth $80 more than this 2017 unbranded 2.5 bag?

24

#85 Matt J

Matt J

    Hall of Fame

  • Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,937 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 339857
  • Joined: 09/17/2014
  • Location:United States
GolfWRX Likes : 11094

Posted 28 October 2017 - 01:55 PM

Sunday bags are meant to be lied on their side on the turf.  My guess is manufacturers fear the ultra lightweight waterproof treated tafeta wouldn't hold up well to such treatment.  Hence most true Sunday bags are waxed cotton or leather.  I guess we'll find out when reviews of the h2no Sundays come rolling in.  I have a fold u camp chair that came with a nylon sleeve, maybe you could just throw clubs in something like that?  Would be an easy enough experiment to make one with a pocket.


25

#86 SwingMan

SwingMan

    SwingMan

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,496 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2726
  • Joined: 07/15/2005
  • Location:DFW Texas
  • Handicap:9.8
GolfWRX Likes : 1161

Posted 28 October 2017 - 09:49 PM

 baboya96, on 28 October 2017 - 01:38 PM, said:

 duffer987, on 19 October 2017 - 09:00 AM, said:

For anyone looking to pick up a standard 2017 SM 2.5, Dallasgolf's ebay store has a bunch of unbranded ones for sale right now for around $140.

For those that have 2.5 + is that worth $80 more than this 2017 unbranded 2.5 bag?

If you are going to keep it, yes.  Try discountdansgolf.com for a price.
"My swing is so bad, I look like a caveman killing his lunch" - Lee Trevino

Bag: Ping G400 Max/TPT Golf Series 17 ● Exotics EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd ● Rogue 4H GD AD HY75, PXG 0317 5H/Tensei CK Pro Red 70 ● PXG 0311 XF 6-PW/Mitsubishi OT 75, Ping Glide 2.0 50, 56ES, 60SS ●DF Reno

26

#87 baboya96

baboya96

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 450402
  • Joined: 01/02/2017
  • Location:Atlanta, GA
  • Handicap:7
  • Ebay ID:baboya96
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 29 October 2017 - 08:01 AM

 SwingMan, on 28 October 2017 - 09:49 PM, said:

 baboya96, on 28 October 2017 - 01:38 PM, said:

 duffer987, on 19 October 2017 - 09:00 AM, said:

For anyone looking to pick up a standard 2017 SM 2.5, Dallasgolf's ebay store has a bunch of unbranded ones for sale right now for around $140.

For those that have 2.5 + is that worth $80 more than this 2017 unbranded 2.5 bag?

If you are going to keep it, yes.  Try discountdansgolf.com for a price.

Shows $220. Same as other websites. So why $80 worth more? Full ball pocket or dedicated slot for water bottle isn't appealing to me. Are straps that much better and overall fabric will last longer?

27

#88 SwingMan

SwingMan

    SwingMan

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,496 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2726
  • Joined: 07/15/2005
  • Location:DFW Texas
  • Handicap:9.8
GolfWRX Likes : 1161

Posted 29 October 2017 - 08:44 AM

 baboya96, on 29 October 2017 - 08:01 AM, said:

 SwingMan, on 28 October 2017 - 09:49 PM, said:

 baboya96, on 28 October 2017 - 01:38 PM, said:

 duffer987, on 19 October 2017 - 09:00 AM, said:

For anyone looking to pick up a standard 2017 SM 2.5, Dallasgolf's ebay store has a bunch of unbranded ones for sale right now for around $140.

For those that have 2.5 + is that worth $80 more than this 2017 unbranded 2.5 bag?

If you are going to keep it, yes.  Try discountdansgolf.com for a price.

Shows $220. Same as other websites. So why $80 worth more? Full ball pocket or dedicated slot for water bottle isn't appealing to me. Are straps that much better and overall fabric will last longer?

You call dd and get the price, you do not get it from the site.

2.5+ Straps are better and fabric seems like a tighter/durable material. The 2.5 is lighter, smooth material - it's fine (I'd keep it away from sharp objects) and you might be able to ask for upgraded straps - the 2.5 straps are made to save weight - small not much padding.  You might be fine with it. If you want to save $40, do it.

Edited by SwingMan, 29 October 2017 - 10:29 AM.

"My swing is so bad, I look like a caveman killing his lunch" - Lee Trevino

Bag: Ping G400 Max/TPT Golf Series 17 ● Exotics EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd ● Rogue 4H GD AD HY75, PXG 0317 5H/Tensei CK Pro Red 70 ● PXG 0311 XF 6-PW/Mitsubishi OT 75, Ping Glide 2.0 50, 56ES, 60SS ●DF Reno

28

#89 Tommyj

Tommyj

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40570
  • Joined: 10/08/2007
  • Location:Toronto, Canada
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 30 October 2017 - 04:44 AM

I tried DD for a better price on the 2.5+ because another member indicated he had paid quite a bit less through them.  Called them and price is exactly the same as all the other sites.  Based on the current Dallas Golf discounts on 2017 SM bags they should offer a good price on the 2.5+ if you can defer buying for 1 season.

29

#90 SwingMan

SwingMan

    SwingMan

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,496 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2726
  • Joined: 07/15/2005
  • Location:DFW Texas
  • Handicap:9.8
GolfWRX Likes : 1161

Posted 30 October 2017 - 01:02 PM

 Tommyj, on 30 October 2017 - 04:44 AM, said:

I tried DD for a better price on the 2.5+ because another member indicated he had paid quite a bit less through them.  Called them and price is exactly the same as all the other sites.  Based on the current Dallas Golf discounts on 2017 SM bags they should offer a good price on the 2.5+ if you can defer buying for 1 season.

I sure did not buy it for the retail price (unless something happened within the last month).

Edited by SwingMan, 30 October 2017 - 01:02 PM.

"My swing is so bad, I look like a caveman killing his lunch" - Lee Trevino

Bag: Ping G400 Max/TPT Golf Series 17 ● Exotics EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd ● Rogue 4H GD AD HY75, PXG 0317 5H/Tensei CK Pro Red 70 ● PXG 0311 XF 6-PW/Mitsubishi OT 75, Ping Glide 2.0 50, 56ES, 60SS ●DF Reno

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors