Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

ASK QUESTIONS: Cleveland Golf CBX Wedge Live Q&A!!!

92 replies to this topic

#31 Optimus-Par

Optimus-Par

Transform, and roll putts.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70639
GolfWRX Likes : 93

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:37 AM

1.  Is the black portion of the badge behind the word Cleveland, an elastomer type material designed to improved feel?

2.  Does the v-sole grind offer any versatility with regards to opening up the clubface for various touch shots or flop shots?

3.  Was the decision to go with only a v-sole grind based on who the target player is for these wedges, meaning not a player concerned with what grind is and what it can do for them?

-- IN PLAY --
JPX-850 9.5*  |  JPX-850 17*  |  JPX Fli-Hi 4h  |  JPX-850F 5-GW  |  S5 57*  |  White Hot RX 2-Ball V-Line

-- Bag at the Beach --
XTD Ti 10.5*  |  XTD Ti 15*  |  XTD Ti 3h  |  XTD Dhy 4  |  FG Tour F5 5-GW  |  FG Tour PMP 56*  |  Inovai 3.0

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 Jimmy Mac

Jimmy Mac

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69095
GolfWRX Likes : 176

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:16 AM

How much does a cavity back wedge affect spin and distance. Full shots versus chips.

I love the idea of a more consistent feel throughout my set (play cavity back irons). But I also am a bit worried about losing the feel aspect around the green.

#33 JPW75

JPW75

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 472074
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:28 AM

Can you explain how the CBX design helps players from various lies (deep rough, soft/firm sand, hardpan, etc.) versus more traditional wedge designs?

#34 king6

king6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5537
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 06 September 2017 - 01:08 PM

How did. you test the forgiveness of the wedges? How is the dispersion in full and half swings in terms of spin and shot length?

#35 tider992010

tider992010

tider992010

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132592
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 06 September 2017 - 03:06 PM

In looking at most wedge designs, not much has changed over the past several years.  A few model numbers here and a little bounce there.  Why has technology in wedges fallen behind the other clubs even though most golfers may hit them several times more than other irons during a round?

#36 hammertime1515

hammertime1515

MCHamner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 189374
  • Ebay ID:MCHamner
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 06 September 2017 - 07:25 PM

Thank you guys so much for taking the time to do a Q&A regarding your new wedges! I have 2 questions for you!
1. As a scratch golfer, could I gain an advantage playing the CBX wedge as a lower lofter wedge such as a 46 or 50 degree?
2. As someone who loves the RTX 3 wedges, how do the CBX compare in regards to the feel and spin of the RTX 3 wedges?
Thanks again!

#37 lspky_muskie

lspky_muskie

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 443386
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 90

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:00 PM

How was the decision made to go with a single grind and bounce type for each loft offered?

I'm a 16 handicap, and I know my short game is not consistent enough from one swing to the next to know if a specific grind and bounce are helping or hurting me.

#38 PINSEEKER72

PINSEEKER72

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31742
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:53 PM

How would you compare the CBX to the Smart Sole in regards to ease of use getting out of a bunker?

#39 DLaake

DLaake

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 420990
GolfWRX Likes : 38

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:31 AM

Here is my question:
It seems like there is a big push for easy-use wedges lately. What qualities actually make these wedges easier to use than more blade-style wedges?

#40 Jimmy Mac

Jimmy Mac

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69095
GolfWRX Likes : 176

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:03 AM

I would love to try these wedges out ... they look gorgeous. Yes, counter to so many I actually like the optics of a cavity back - it inspires confidence.

My question is: I get the advantage of a cavity back in a full swing (or close to it). Given the lesser amount of force in most wedge shots (chips/pitches), is there enough energy imparted for the cavity back to really offer an advantage as far as forgiveness is concerned? Does your testing show the face really flexes in a different manner than with a more traditional wedge design?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#41 Cleveland_Golf

Cleveland_Golf

Rookie

• Sponsors
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 460150
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:03 AM

View PostHjosh7_, on 01 September 2017 - 01:08 PM, said:

I use my 60 degree wedge (blade wedge) for chipping and pitching mainly as I seem to thin it a lot if I try to hit a full shot. My question is, on such small swings, would the added forgiveness really even matter enough for me to consider the CBX (which I like to look at less) over a blade like the RTX-3?

Thanks, and also the Huntington Beach Putters are really good and the best value out there.

If you were to hit lots of your pitches and chips off the toe or heel, you would certainly notice more consistency with the CBX because of that added forgiveness. Granted, you’ll probably hit the center of the face more often on pitches/chips then on full swings, but it really depends on where you are with your short game. If you’re a golfer who really has his/her short game nailed down, you might stick with the blade. But if you’re a golfer who needs some help on full shots as well as around the greens, I think the CBX is the better choice.
I think a lot of golfers in your situation might go CBX in their PW, GW, and SW. And then go RTX-3 in their LW because they like max versatility in that club.

#42 jlummus94

jlummus94

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481128
  • Handicap:8
  • Ebay ID:alex.lummus
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:06 AM

Do you believe that the heavier shaft for wedges allow for amateurs to really swing down on the ball to avoid hitting thin shots?

#43 Cleveland_Golf

Cleveland_Golf

Rookie

• Sponsors
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:07 AM

View Posteagle1997, on 01 September 2017 - 12:11 PM, said:

Greetings!  Thanks for taking the time to talk to GolfWRX about your new wedge tech.  I see that the new line continues with the Rotex Face Tech.  One of your competitors claims that these type of grooves wear down quickly and that we should be replacing our wedges every few months edit: 75 rounds depending on use.  Have you done similar testing?  Do you agree?

Posted Image

We always go back to the tire analogy - we compared wedge grooves to tires treads (see below).  Just as tire treads wear and become extremely dangerous when driving on wet roads, wedge grooves wear and become inconsistent and unreliable from the rough.

Wedges grooves work the same as tire treads.  Grooves channel rough, dirt, and sand to allow the ball to contact the wedge face.  This creates friction which limits slipping and increase spin. We use the race car tire analogy:
· Slick tires are used when the track is going to be smooth and free of dirt or debris
· Tires with treads are used when there might be some dirt or debris on the track
· Heavy treads are used in extreme conditions to actually grip the path
It’s hard to put a number of rounds to how often you should replace your wedges because so much of it depends on your practice habits.  If you hit a lot of rock-hard range balls on firm and gritty driving range turf or from sandy lies, your wedges will wear out faster than if you mostly hit soft-covered balls from lush, soft turf.  The best indicator of groove and face wear is performance.  If you experience a noticeable and consistent reduction in backspin, it’s time for a new wedge

#44 Cleveland_Golf

Cleveland_Golf

Rookie

• Sponsors
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:09 AM

View Postgprubes, on 01 September 2017 - 12:14 PM, said:

In regards to forgiveness, is there going to be a noticeable difference between the CBX line and the RTX-3 CB??  It doesn't seem like the looks will be that different, but would it be worth it to move from RTX to CBX

Good question. There is a noticeable difference, and it comes from two key features. First, the CBX sole is definitely wider than RTX3 CB in the center and toe. Second, the CBX sweet spot is closer to the center of the face due to feel balancing technology. In R&D, we’ve been talking about forgiveness on a 1-10 scale, with the RTX3 blade at a 1 and the Smart Sole products at a 10. The CBX is meant to be a 5, where the RTX3 CB was probably more like a 3. Hope that helps!

#45 Cleveland_Golf

Cleveland_Golf

Rookie

• Sponsors
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:11 AM

View PostFISHSTICKMAN, on 01 September 2017 - 03:30 PM, said:

Why did you eliminate the choice of sole/"bounce" with the CBX wedge?  As someone the currently has a RTX-3 in my bag, a big plus was finding the correct sole for my attack angle.

This was a tough call for us. The main factor was that so many golfers are playing the wrong wedges, we wanted the message to be simple and easy: if you’re playing cavity back irons, chances are this wedge is better for your game. The vast majority of golfers will find this wedge easier to play and will shoot better scores with it. Now, we could go a step further and fine-tune everyone and offer a wide range of bounce options, but we decided the best first step was to get people into the right MODEL wedge. The improvement to performance for average golfers will be significant over blade-style wedges, even without fine-tuning bounce fitting.

#46 Cleveland_Golf

Cleveland_Golf

Rookie

• Sponsors
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:15 AM

View Postazkaevolution, on 01 September 2017 - 02:08 PM, said:

Hi there...

What is the primary performance difference between the RTX3 CB and the new CBX?  Is it a matter of increased MOI?  the weight pulled further back?  Larger sweet spot?  After watching crossfield's review, seems like the CG location is a bit different...but what other benefits are there in the design?

• Overall club build - the new shaft makes for a much better weight transition from the GI iron set.  This will improve your gapping distances as you transition from GI irons to the CBX gap wedges.

• Larger SS and Improved Heel-Toe CG location.  With the CBX we have been able to shift the CG closer to the center of the scorelines.  In our amatuer player testnig we have found a trend that as handicap increase wedge impact location shifts further out on the toe.  By us shifting the CG closer to the center of the scorelines (compared to heel biased blade wedges) this improves both feel and dispersion for the GI player.

#47 Cleveland_Golf

Cleveland_Golf

Rookie

• Sponsors
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:16 AM

View PostALTSean, on 01 September 2017 - 02:42 PM, said:

Cleveland's website allows for a lot of custom options.  How do you recommend players select a shaft for their wedges?  Should they match their irons, be slightly softer flex or is it just personal preference?  Thanks!

It depends on how you use each wedge.  We have seen with a lot of our tour players that they match their full shot wedges (48 - 52s) with their iron shafts and then go a little softer in the greenside lob wedges.  

#48 HackinNut

HackinNut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 250438
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:17 AM

Are there going to be any releases of different finishes?  Raw, chrome, satin, etc.?

Do they offer different bounces in each loft combination?  56*/10 or 12* bounce and so on?

#49 Cleveland_Golf

Cleveland_Golf

Rookie

• Sponsors
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:18 AM

View PostGolfingfanatic, on 01 September 2017 - 03:54 PM, said:

are you planning on releasing different finishes in the CBX line?

As of right now, we like the simplicity of having one finish. However, we are always evaluating new/special edition finishes.

#50 Cleveland_Golf

Cleveland_Golf

Rookie

• Sponsors
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:21 AM

View PostDeacLaw05, on 01 September 2017 - 05:48 PM, said:

I currently play the Srixon Z565 irons (4-PW)  and carry three Rotex 2.0 wedges (52*, 56*, and 60*).  As a blade wedge player, why should I consider making a change to the CBX?  What kind of performance differences would I expect to see?  Would using this wedge as a gap wedge be a good way to transition between cavity-backed longer irons and more traditional bladed wedges?

The gap wedge is a good place to start.  The heel toe CG location of the CBX gap wedge matches the 565 cg location which created a great transition from the irons to the wedges in terms of feel and forgiveness.  The CBX gap wedges also offer the RTX face tech which will help you better control your golf ball on critical approach shots

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#51 HackinNut

HackinNut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:21 AM

View PostHackinNut, on 07 September 2017 - 11:17 AM, said:

Are there going to be any releases of different finishes?  Raw, chrome, satin, etc.?

Do they offer different bounces in each loft combination?  56*/10 or 12* bounce and so on?

Well you just answered my first question.

#52 Cleveland_Golf

Cleveland_Golf

Rookie

• Sponsors
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:23 AM

View Postebn2002, on 01 September 2017 - 06:58 PM, said:

Are the cbx wedges designed mainly for pitches (full and half swings), or were they also designed for chip, bunker and flop shots?

The CBX wedges are designs for all shots into and around the greens.  Each wedge sole is individually for their most common uses.  We put an emphasis on full shot performance with the pitching and gap wedges and chip, pitch, lob, and sand performance with the SW and LW lofts.  

#53 Cleveland_Golf

Cleveland_Golf

Rookie

• Sponsors
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:25 AM

View Postmisplacedtexan83, on 01 September 2017 - 07:09 PM, said:

Thanks for the time and opportunity.

My question is...

For the type of player these are geared for, what makes a player pick these over just buying the wedges to match the set?

Versus set matching wedges, CBX wedges are designed with premium wedge face technology.  Set matching wedges are more or less an afterthought for the iron set.  They don’t have face milling for roughness traditionally.  They don’t have premium aggressive grooves and certainly not Tour Zip grooves.  And they don’t have fine tuned laser milling for consistent roughness and control.  Overall the CBX wedges should replace all set matching wedges being considered because of the face and spin performance!

#54 HackinNut

HackinNut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:25 AM

What kind of feedback are you getting on the "beveling" edging on the back of the club?  Does it seem to make it easier to add loft ... say you are opening up a 56* sand wedge ... increases the bounce to make flop shots easier??

#55 Cleveland_Golf

Cleveland_Golf

Rookie

• Sponsors
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:27 AM

View Postgetair23, on 01 September 2017 - 07:33 PM, said:

How will these feel compared to the RTX-3 on full shots?

That is a tricky question...a lot of it depends.  It depends on impact location as well as attack angles and turf interaction.  For this player category who is likely to impact a larger area of the face, less consistently, they will feel an improvement due to the forgiveness of these wedges.  Both RTX-3 and CBX have Feel Balancing Technology, meaning both have the sweet spot better aligned with face center and player impact zones.  But the game improvement players will noticed the improved feel on face impact, as I mentioned, but will also benefit from an improved turf interaction feel.  The Dual V sole will provide that player more consistent bounce and feel with less digging.

#56 Cleveland_Golf

Cleveland_Golf

Rookie

• Sponsors
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:29 AM

View PostPapaTortuga, on 02 September 2017 - 07:48 PM, said:

Can you talk a little more about the technology that went into the Rolex face? Thanks!

The Rotex face is actually three technologies in one. First, the Tour Zip Groove. These are unique, patented grooves that push the USGA limit. Second, we apply a CNC micro-milling pattern to apply a baseline of roughness on the face. Finally, there is a precise laser milling pattern added to bring the face right up to the USGA limit on roughness. Grooves are the most significant technology for generating spin, but all three of these technologies to produce the most advanced face in golf!

#57 Cleveland_Golf

Cleveland_Golf

Rookie

• Sponsors
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:31 AM

View Postgrisham, on 03 September 2017 - 09:47 AM, said:

I plan on purchasing a set of the new Cleveland HB irons 4-P. In regards to distance, forgiveness, and spin would CBX gap, sand, and  lob wedges blend well with the HB irons?

The Launcher HB irons PW loft is 44 degrees. Gaping off that is most likely best with a 48, 52, 56, and maybe even a 60 if you want to carry four wedges. If you want to carry three wedges only, then consider the highest lofted wedge you want and space the others between that wedge and the 44 PW. The CBX is definitely a great option to match with those irons as the shaft weight, swing weight, and overall performance of the CBX wedge is closer to game improvement irons than other wedges out there.

#58 Cleveland_Golf

Cleveland_Golf

Rookie

• Sponsors
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:33 AM

View Postruffellprefley, on 03 September 2017 - 12:23 PM, said:

Why limit the bounce options?

Just because a "high cap" that might use these CB wedges should probably stick to a "stock shot" with each wedge, that doesn't mean that all players should use the same amount of bounce. AoA and conditions would play a huge factor even in those "stock" shots.

Thanks for the Q&A

We believe that across all Cleveland wedges we have plenty of bounce options.  If a player is knowledgeable enough or is working with a fitter, than we still have RTX-3 bounce options as well as the CBX and Smart Sole wedges.  Otherwise, considering the player category and accounts handling this product, offering a singular bounce optimized to get the most player benefits was a better approach for us to take.

#59 Cleveland_Golf

Cleveland_Golf

Rookie

• Sponsors
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:35 AM

View Postcane700, on 04 September 2017 - 04:54 PM, said:

Two questions from me:

What was your thought process in determining the stock sole grind for this club?

Are these wedges effective with heavy weight shafts?

We could write an essay on how we design a sole grind, but the short answer is that we wanted a forgiving sole that maintained some versatility, and we wanted a sole that would help resist digging into the turf. Those design goals were the driving factors. They led to a V-sole design with blade-style width in the heel but wider specs in the center and toe.
The CBX wedge head can definitely be paired with a custom heavier shaft if that’s what you prefer. We selected the CBX’s slightly lighter-weight steel shaft because most golfers out there play lighter steel shafts in their cavity back irons. The CBX is meant for those players.

#60 HackinNut

HackinNut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:36 AM

It seems to me the leading edge of these are not quite as rounded as on the RTX 3. I like a more square leading edge ... is this the case?  

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors