Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

Graphite Design Tour AD IZ: in hand photos added from Dell Technologies

73 replies to this topic

#61 melo

melo

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66044
GolfWRX Likes : 551

Posted 11 September 2017 - 10:02 PM

View Posteventemposwing, on 11 September 2017 - 09:59 AM, said:

I've managed to hit the IZ 6SR (my normal weight and flex) today indoors - it was built up for an M2 2017 head

Didn't really bother to look at the numbers as I was more interested in feel.....

It feels like the TP - maybe a smidgen 'easier' if that makes sense. Same smoothness. On course I suspect it plays like the TP. (All my wood and hybrid shafts are Tour AD shafts of one description or another but my gamer for the last 2 years has been the 915 with AD GP, and the AD SF in my fairway woods.)

I've got my eye on the IZ 5X for my own M2 2017 - I've got a TP 6SR in the M2 currently, and previously tried the TP 5S in the M2 and it was great, super flight and distance, but a wee bit lighter than my preference - so going after a drive is not as accurate

(PS I'm in the far east on holiday, so I get to try all the stuff first lol!)

Thank you for the feedback! Very anxious to try this one out!

Cobra LTD Tensei Pro Blue 70
Titleist 816H1 17* GD AD HY 85
Callaway Apex 20* GD AD HY 95
Nike Vapor Pro 4-pw Recoil 110 proto
Vokey SM6 50-54-58 Recoil 125 proto

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#62 ladahl

ladahl

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 5,469 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119561
  • Handicap:6.6
GolfWRX Likes : 908

Posted 13 September 2017 - 05:39 AM

I will give this a guy a go

Thanks for sharing
Callaway Epic Veylix Alphina 673
TM M2 16.5* HL Veylix Rome 888
Callaway Epic #3H KBS proto 95
PXG 0331XF #4 KBS proto 95 +1/2" 1* up
PXG 0331 #5-Gap TT DG Tour Issue X100 +1/2" 1* up
Titleist SM6 Raw 54S/58M TT DG TI S400 +1/2" 1* up
PXG Mustang S Black

WITB Link

#63 Stetson

Stetson

Major Winner

• 2,072 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 199816
GolfWRX Likes : 405

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:07 AM

If my Tensei V3 PO doesn't work out I will likely put it up on the BST and grab this one to give it a shot.
Driver: None
3w: Ping G400 SFT (Xtorsion Copperhead)
3H: Exotics EX10 19* (Recoil 680)
3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Steelfiber 95)
4-P: Bridgestone J40 CB (Steelfiber 110)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Vokey Links K
Putter: Ping Nome TR

#64 eventemposwing

eventemposwing

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31428
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:49 PM

I also have the DI 6SR in a Ezone 380 head. Performance wise the modern Graphite Design shafts have moved on a bit from the DI. But the DI still has its fans, and its detractors.

I would say that if you currently have an AD TP, then weight for weight, flex for flex, you probably won't see much difference - the IZ is supposed to launch a bit higher than the TP but not as high as the DI - but as with everything, your consistency of strike is a huge factor. The GP is impressive for me - up the loft a bit, and its a good fairway finder, whilst keeping spin and flight in check. I really like my GP 6SR in my 915. So too the TP in the M2 that I have newly acquired.

As age is catching on, I thought I'd go to a lighter shaft, and the IZ 5X feels like my GP 6SR, so I had my Asian Tour clubbuilder mate set me up with the IZ 5X with a TM Tour issue adapter (slightly different from the normal M1/M2 adapter, and 2g heavier), to compare with the TP 6SR in the M2 that I am using, having moved from the 915.

Also note that the torque specs in the 5X is still relatively friendly - and GD has never released a 5X in their 50-60g weight category retail line before - they have also recently started to release TX flexes.

PS I can also say that the Diamana BF range is super - I think Justin Thomas uses it. Don't overlook the 4th Gen Diamana BF shaft - it really is that good - I also tried the newly released Diamana RF range - quite similar to the IZ too....

Edited by eventemposwing, 13 September 2017 - 09:55 PM.

#65 ms3

ms3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 343479
  • Handicap:6.4
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:43 PM

View PostBearQ, on 27 August 2017 - 12:04 PM, said:

Readily available Tour AD-TP still being slept on...

True mid launch/low spin and oozes feel. People still haven't hopped on the wagon. Driver or fairway, simply perform. Only thing missing is the big AD DI kick. These shafts can hang with almost anyone in the X flexes and perform on normal and full tilt swings.

I'm playing the TP and it feels amazing. I'm coming from the Speeder 661 TS and the TP gives me a similar flight, but a whole better feel than the Speeder.

Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) | 9.5º set to 10º | Graphite Design TOUR AD-TP 6X
Fairway: TaylorMade M1 | 14º | Matrix RUL TOUR Issue 80 X
Hybrid: TaylorMade Rescue 11 | 18º | Matrix OZIK Altus Hybrid TOUR Issue 80 X
Irons: Mizuno MP-18 SC 3-P | Project X LZ 6.5
Wedges: TaylorMade TOUR Preferred EF 52º, 58º KBS C-Taper LITE 120g S+
Putter: KRONOS Golf Hendrix
Ball: TaylorMade TP5X

#66 Green Lit

Green Lit

Rookie

• 31 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 386716
  • Handicap:3
  • Ebay ID:thecoversheet24
GolfWRX Likes : 32

Posted 16 September 2017 - 02:30 PM

View Posteventemposwing, on 13 September 2017 - 09:49 PM, said:

I also have the DI 6SR in a Ezone 380 head. Performance wise the modern Graphite Design shafts have moved on a bit from the DI. But the DI still has its fans, and its detractors.

I would say that if you currently have an AD TP, then weight for weight, flex for flex, you probably won't see much difference - the IZ is supposed to launch a bit higher than the TP but not as high as the DI - but as with everything, your consistency of strike is a huge factor. The GP is impressive for me - up the loft a bit, and its a good fairway finder, whilst keeping spin and flight in check. I really like my GP 6SR in my 915. So too the TP in the M2 that I have newly acquired.

As age is catching on, I thought I'd go to a lighter shaft, and the IZ 5X feels like my GP 6SR, so I had my Asian Tour clubbuilder mate set me up with the IZ 5X with a TM Tour issue adapter (slightly different from the normal M1/M2 adapter, and 2g heavier), to compare with the TP 6SR in the M2 that I am using, having moved from the 915.

Also note that the torque specs in the 5X is still relatively friendly - and GD has never released a 5X in their 50-60g weight category retail line before - they have also recently started to release TX flexes.

PS I can also say that the Diamana BF range is super - I think Justin Thomas uses it. Don't overlook the 4th Gen Diamana BF shaft - it really is that good - I also tried the newly released Diamana RF range - quite similar to the IZ too....
So did you end up comparing your IZ 5X against your TP 6SR?  I actually went ahead and pulled the trigger blind on a Tour AD IZ 6S (to go in my 10.5 Epic).  I'm a bit of a GD Tour AD fanboy & a foolish ho (recently moved on to hybrid shaft somehow...guess drivers dont get give me my fix like they use to).  Similar to you, I've tried pretty much all the Tour AD models in some fashion.  Finally landed a combo that performs better than anything else and has had staying power in the bag: Tour AD MT 6S w/ Epic head.  
Recently tried the TP against the MT, but MT remains due to insignificant performance differences but preferred feel of MT (not a high launch or spin player, so a mid-high/mid profile usually does well for me .  
Your feedback on the IZ being somewhat similar to the TP is intriguing.  Based on the "stiffness chart" of each model, I immediately interpreted it to show the IZ  being a close variation to the MT...and this prospect peaked my interest enough to go ahead & preorder (that and it looks pretty sweet).  Always played a 6S driver, from a feel perspective, I wonder what the effect would be trying an IZ 5S ?  Curious to hear your results with the IZ 5X.  
Any experience with the MT, and if so, how would you compare to the IZ (or TP) ?

#67 Stetson

Stetson

Major Winner

• 2,072 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2017 - 10:56 PM

Would like to give this one a go and probably will, but going into a G400 LST built with XTorsion means the lack of counterbalance in the IZ will make the G400 feel crazy heavy.

#68 Green Lit

Green Lit

Rookie

• 31 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 386716
  • Handicap:3
  • Ebay ID:thecoversheet24
GolfWRX Likes : 32

Posted 17 September 2017 - 02:46 AM

View PostStetson, on 16 September 2017 - 10:56 PM, said:

Would like to give this one a go and probably will, but going into a G400 LST built with XTorsion means the lack of counterbalance in the IZ will make the G400 feel crazy heavy.
Maybe but the Tour Shaft isn't counterbalanced....45.25" 65g or 75g shaft options on those.

#69 Stetson

Stetson

Major Winner

• 2,072 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2017 - 08:29 AM

That Tour shaft comes with a different copper weight than the Alta or XTorsion I believe

#70 eventemposwing

eventemposwing

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2017 - 11:06 AM

View PostGreen Lit, on 16 September 2017 - 02:30 PM, said:

View Posteventemposwing, on 13 September 2017 - 09:49 PM, said:

So did you end up comparing your IZ 5X against your TP 6SR?  I actually went ahead and pulled the trigger blind on a Tour AD IZ 6S (to go in my 10.5 Epic).  I'm a bit of a GD Tour AD fanboy & a foolish ho (recently moved on to hybrid shaft somehow...guess drivers dont get give me my fix like they use to).  Similar to you, I've tried pretty much all the Tour AD models in some fashion.  Finally landed a combo that performs better than anything else and has had staying power in the bag: Tour AD MT 6S w/ Epic head.  
Recently tried the TP against the MT, but MT remains due to insignificant performance differences but preferred feel of MT (not a high launch or spin player, so a mid-high/mid profile usually does well for me .  
Your feedback on the IZ being somewhat similar to the TP is intriguing.  Based on the "stiffness chart" of each model, I immediately interpreted it to show the IZ  being a close variation to the MT...and this prospect peaked my interest enough to go ahead & preorder (that and it looks pretty sweet).  Always played a 6S driver, from a feel perspective, I wonder what the effect would be trying an IZ 5S ?  Curious to hear your results with the IZ 5X.  
Any experience with the MT, and if so, how would you compare to the IZ (or TP) ?

Hi, no I played today but with the TP 6SR in the M2. I'm trying to get a game this week (depending on work) and will put the IZ 5X in the head.

According to the chart, the AD GP/TP/IZ/DI (stiff+ tip, medium mid, firm/stiff butt) are totally different profiles to the MT (stiff middle). I tried the AD MT but don't like it; and I actually have the AD MJ 6SR in my Aeroburner TP in my other bag in the Far East. I don't love the feel of the MJ either but as its not my gamer driver (except when I am out there holidaying/playing), its fine; also the Aeroburner TP I play out there has a lower loft so I figured a softer tip MJ won't be too bad in that head. It was a spare shaft I had, the MJ, so I got my Tour club builder friend to stick it in the Aeroburner.

If you are not a high spin player that's probably why the MT works for you. To be fair I think the way to go is to get it and see if you like the feel - sometimes one does, sometimes one doesn't. Just try and see - look at the flight - sometimes we can get too caught up with launch data but forget to play the game on the course.

I'll feed back once I can game my AD IZ 5X

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#71 Peanut191

Peanut191

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 299122
GolfWRX Likes : 515

Posted 17 September 2017 - 08:39 PM

Not sure if I'm understanding you correctly.  The SR is a stiff-regular, correct?  If so, why would you skip the Stiff flex and go straight to the X-stiff flex?
M2 10.5, set to 9.75, D5, KK XT 70s
915F 16.5 AD DI 8s
Titleist 915 21* Kiyoshi White 95 04 flex
Titleist T-MB 4-W, Modus 120S
Vokey 56F 14 bounce, Vokey Wedgeworks 60K 6 bounce
Scotty Newport 1.5

#72 eventemposwing

eventemposwing

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2017 - 09:54 PM

View PostPeanut191, on 17 September 2017 - 08:39 PM, said:

Not sure if I'm understanding you correctly.  The SR is a stiff-regular, correct?  If so, why would you skip the Stiff flex and go straight to the X-stiff flex?

View PostPeanut191, on 17 September 2017 - 08:39 PM, said:

Hi sorry, let me explain.....

My gamers have been the AD GP 6SR in my 915. When I got the M2, I tried the AD TP 5S & 6SR but the 5S was too light - the torque was fine but the shaft felt like it was 'laying back a bit'; but the flight and the on-course performance was great; so I defaulted to a familiar weight and torque for my M2 shaft (since I was already familiar with the AD GP 6SR feel/heft) . The specs of the TP 5S built was 45 1/8th, 317g, D0.5; against the 6SR of 45 1/8th, 321.5g, D1.5

When the AD IZ came out, having tried the 6SR version indoors and it felt very similar to the TP....no point getting 2 of the same performing shafts....

So as the AD IZ has a 5X for the first time, plus I had slight 'laying back issues' with the AD TP 5S (but loved the torque and flight), and I also had access to a heavier tour issue TM adapter, I went with the AD IZ 5X....hope that makes sense; I've not measured the specs of my AD IZ 5X in my M2 head (I was flying back that day). Here is a pic of the retail adapter vs the tour issue adapter - bottom pic; retail adapter is 5.2g and tour adapter is 7.3g

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5307.JPG

Edited by eventemposwing, 17 September 2017 - 09:55 PM.

#73 Stetson

Stetson

Major Winner

• 2,072 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 06:24 AM

Is the SR a stiff-regular or a senior?  That is where I got thrown off.  It is my understanding that the 5x is in fact less stout than a 6R

#74 DirtyDobber

DirtyDobber

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 81740
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:09 AM

View PostBearQ, on 27 August 2017 - 12:04 PM, said:

Readily available Tour AD-TP still being slept on...

True mid launch/low spin and oozes feel. People still haven't hopped on the wagon. Driver or fairway, simply perform. Only thing missing is the big AD DI kick. These shafts can hang with almost anyone in the X flexes and perform on normal and full tilt swings.

Agreed I put one in play in my M1 over a Rogue and have been over the moon about it. For me, it spins about the same as the Rogue, launches about the same, but the feel alone is woth the cost. Found one on the 'bay for under $200. Well worth it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors