Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

I broke 80 twice this month.

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 GMN_02

GMN_02

Memeber

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 458052
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 26 August 2017 - 09:13 AM

I broke 80 for the first time this month with a 79 and then again this morning with a 76, both times from 6500 yards.  I am 24 and this is my second summer playing.  I got bit by the bug after graduating college and have become obsessed with the game since.

First, I wanted to say thank you to those of you in these forums who provide helpful insight into course management and what to work on to achieve goals like this.  It has been very helpful for me to hear varying opinions and insight into this game we play from golfers of all different levels.  Secondly, I want to return the favor.  For anyone who is looking to break this milestone, please feel free to ask any questions you might have about what I've been working on and how I improved my game to get to this point as quickly as I did.

Again, thank you all for the continued advice!

Edited by GMN_02, 26 August 2017 - 09:15 AM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Medic

Medic

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,812 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132567
  • Handicap:5.1
GolfWRX Likes : 7226

Posted 26 August 2017 - 09:32 AM

Congrats!!!!!!

The key is to continue the trend. Whatever you are doing is working. Don't mess with it too much.

And go into the rounds almost expecting a blow-up hole or a higher score. It's OK - even the best in the game don't shoot an A game every time out.

This wonderful game sure is a lot more fun when you're dialed in, huh?

Keep it fun! And congrats again!!!
Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Apex CF16 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Slate 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Odyssey Versa 9 34"
Callaway Chrome Soft

#3 Shotts

Shotts

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 478100
GolfWRX Likes : 67

Posted 26 August 2017 - 09:42 AM

Well played, keep it going. :good:

#4 GMN_02

GMN_02

Memeber

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2017 - 02:33 PM

Thanks!  Looking forward to trying to keep this trend up.

#5 EvanScottKing

EvanScottKing

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 443226
  • Handicap:7.1
GolfWRX Likes : 140

Posted 28 August 2017 - 02:51 PM

Congrats!  I'm in a similar boat with scores and time in the game (25, finally breaking 80, started golfing last May) and was wondering what the biggest contributors were for you to break that 80 threshold? i.e. was it lessons, getting a certain club or part of your game to behave, a mentality thing, etc. or was it just grinding scores out?

Bag is comprised of Callaway & Edel.  WITB

#6 GMN_02

GMN_02

Memeber

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2017 - 04:21 PM

EvanScottKing, on 28 August 2017 - 02:51 PM, said:

Congrats!  I'm in a similar boat with scores and time in the game (25, finally breaking 80, started golfing last May) and was wondering what the biggest contributors were for you to break that 80 threshold? i.e. was it lessons, getting a certain club or part of your game to behave, a mentality thing, etc. or was it just grinding scores out?

Thank you, glad to see you are finding some success as well!  What really helped me lower my scores was positioning off the tee.  For me, this means that I am only using driver 2, maybe 3 times off the tee in a given round.  I have been using my 3w or 3i off the tee much more.  I used to associate being closer to the hole with lower scores which would always cause me to pull driver no matter how short/long the par 4.  This is where my big numbers would come from.  I now hit off the tee whatever club will get me to within 150-110yds of the green.  This leaves me either a 9i, PW or GW into greens.  I am much more comfortable hitting one of those 3 clubs with a full swing into a green than a half wedge.

So to answer your question the biggest contributor was discipline or playing what most would call "smart" or "boring" golf.

#7 EvanScottKing

EvanScottKing

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2017 - 05:06 PM

GMN_02, on 28 August 2017 - 04:21 PM, said:

Thank you, glad to see you are finding some success as well!  What really helped me lower my scores was positioning off the tee.  For me, this means that I am only using driver 2, maybe 3 times off the tee in a given round.  I have been using my 3w or 3i off the tee much more.  I used to associate being closer to the hole with lower scores which would always cause me to pull driver no matter how short/long the par 4.  This is where my big numbers would come from.  I now hit off the tee whatever club will get me to within 150-110yds of the green.  This leaves me either a 9i, PW or GW into greens.  I am much more comfortable hitting one of those 3 clubs with a full swing into a green than a half wedge.

So to answer your question the biggest contributor was discipline or playing what most would call "smart" or "boring" golf.

Thanks for the reply! Our games actually sound pretty similar in terms of how we play as well.  For me it came as more of an ego check and I accepting that every hole wasn't a long-drive competition.  I'm much more conscious now of when and where I pull driver on the course opposed to my 4 wood or a long-iron.  The courses I typically play are tight and winding, even the links style ones put a premium on plotting your way around the course or playing "boring" golf as you put it.  I'll occasionally go out with a few friends who still play the first few holes snickering about arriving at my tee shots first when I opt for the 4 wood off the tee when they went with driver, but even even if I'm pulling a club or two more than them for my second its from the middle of the fairway instead of the cuts of the rough because they went too long.  Beyond that, working on my short game and getting good at scrambling if needed (some days far more than others) was the next biggest thing to seeing scores drop.  Still play off of an 8 index, but my games come a long way in terms of avoiding those blow-up holes that can tank an otherwise great round.

What are you working on now to keep your scores trending in the current direction?

#8 GMN_02

GMN_02

Memeber

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2017 - 05:48 PM

EvanScottKing, on 28 August 2017 - 05:06 PM, said:

GMN_02, on 28 August 2017 - 04:21 PM, said:

Thanks for the reply! Our games actually sound pretty similar in terms of how we play as well.  For me it came as more of an ego check and I accepting that every hole wasn't a long-drive competition.  I'm much more conscious now of when and where I pull driver on the course opposed to my 4 wood or a long-iron.  The courses I typically play are tight and winding, even the links style ones put a premium on plotting your way around the course or playing "boring" golf as you put it.  I'll occasionally go out with a few friends who still play the first few holes snickering about arriving at my tee shots first when I opt for the 4 wood off the tee when they went with driver, but even even if I'm pulling a club or two more than them for my second its from the middle of the fairway instead of the cuts of the rough because they went too long.  Beyond that, working on my short game and getting good at scrambling if needed (some days far more than others) was the next biggest thing to seeing scores drop.  Still play off of an 8 index, but my games come a long way in terms of avoiding those blow-up holes that can tank an otherwise great round.

What are you working on now to keep your scores trending in the current direction?

Right now I'm working on shots from shorter distances (50 yards and in) with my GW, SW and LW.  I think this will really help with up and downs knowing that I can use any of those clubs for the desired trajectory that the shot calls for.

Besides working on short game and other areas of weakness, what is your next goal?  I think now instead of trying to shoot a certain number my goal will be to play a round free of a double bogey or set a goal for a number of birdies.  These types of goals usually are followed by lower scores.

Edited by GMN_02, 29 August 2017 - 09:38 AM.

#9 tnrts345

tnrts345

Future HOF

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 456082
  • Handicap:6.6
  • Ebay ID:tnorts12
GolfWRX Likes : 62

Posted 19 September 2017 - 09:54 AM

Congrats! I just broke 80 myself this summer. Its a lot of hard work and when the game feels good its awesome to see the results! Keep on working with the short game, that's the one thing that has helped me lower scores!
Driver-Titleist 915 D4 9.5* Diamana Whiteboard X 80g
Fairway: Callaway X Hot 3 Deep- Oban Devotion 8
Hybrid- Callaway Epic 18* Accra FX300 MT4
Irons- Taylormade Tour Preferred MB '14 4-P PX 6.5
Wedges- Vokey SM6 50* 54*  58* S400 TI Onyx
Putter- Scotty Cameron Newport

#10 EvanScottKing

EvanScottKing

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:40 AM

Congrats tnrts345!  Absolutely is a huge hurdle to get over.

Short game is really feeling good at the moment and it's paying dividends as the local courses start getting some teeth with the end of summer in the south SF Bay where winds start getting gusty more than just breezy.  Scrambling stats were some of my highest this season for my last round.  I'm now trying to make a more conscious effort of tracking some of those key scoring stats using the Golfshot Pro app.  I find its a convenient way to keep score and see what clubs I'm using, stats with each, etc. but doesn't totally break my groove mid-round by having to sit down and input a bunch of data.  Can just update it on my way to the next tee box.  Post round it gives you a tidy little snapshot like the one below to your email:

Attached File  Moffet Scorecard 9.4.17.JPG   63.6K   12 downloads

Are you guys doing this as well?  What stats are you tracking and how are you doing it?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 tnrts345

tnrts345

Future HOF

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 456082
  • Handicap:6.6
  • Ebay ID:tnorts12
GolfWRX Likes : 62

Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:42 PM

EvanScottKing, on 19 September 2017 - 11:40 AM, said:

Congrats tnrts345!  Absolutely is a huge hurdle to get over.

Short game is really feeling good at the moment and it's paying dividends as the local courses start getting some teeth with the end of summer in the south SF Bay where winds start getting gusty more than just breezy.  Scrambling stats were some of my highest this season for my last round.  I'm now trying to make a more conscious effort of tracking some of those key scoring stats using the Golfshot Pro app.  I find its a convenient way to keep score and see what clubs I'm using, stats with each, etc. but doesn't totally break my groove mid-round by having to sit down and input a bunch of data.  Can just update it on my way to the next tee box.  Post round it gives you a tidy little snapshot like the one below to your email:

Moffet Scorecard 9.4.17.JPG

Are you guys doing this as well?  What stats are you tracking and how are you doing it?
I have to say I started the season with the use of an Arccos System to find out where I struggled. Improving my putting and shots inside 100 yards were crucial for my handicap. I went from a 13 to a 7.5 this season alone adn I continue to find new ways to advance my skills. Keep on working!
Driver-Titleist 915 D4 9.5* Diamana Whiteboard X 80g
Fairway: Callaway X Hot 3 Deep- Oban Devotion 8
Hybrid- Callaway Epic 18* Accra FX300 MT4
Irons- Taylormade Tour Preferred MB '14 4-P PX 6.5
Wedges- Vokey SM6 50* 54*  58* S400 TI Onyx
Putter- Scotty Cameron Newport

#12 argaet

argaet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483454
  • Handicap:10.0
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 13 October 2017 - 06:50 AM

Great effort mate, that's currently my goal for this summer season too. Trying to keep the big scores off the card and scramble better. How much work work are you putting in each week between rounds?

Edited by argaet, 13 October 2017 - 06:57 AM.

#13 argaet

argaet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483454
  • Handicap:10.0
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 13 October 2017 - 06:51 AM

Great effort mate, that's currently my goal for this upcoming spring and summer season too. Trying to keep the big scores off the card and scramble better. How much work work are you putting in each week between rounds?

#14 interstate_45

interstate_45

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340405
  • Handicap:+2
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 17 October 2017 - 12:38 AM

Remember, great scores are never flukes, only shows your true potential. Keep going lower!
2017 Taylormade M2 10.5* Kuro Kage DC 60 X
2017 Taylormade M1 17* Kuro Kage Silver 70 S
Titleist 915 H 17* Diamana White 90 X
Nike VR Forged Combo 3-PW (PW 49*) Project X 6.5
Titleist SM6 54.8M & 60.4L Project X 6.5
2017 Taylormade Spider Tour Black DJ
Titleist Pro V1X

#15 GMN_02

GMN_02

Memeber

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2017 - 12:01 PM

argaet, on 13 October 2017 - 06:51 AM, said:

Great effort mate, that's currently my goal for this upcoming spring and summer season too. Trying to keep the big scores off the card and scramble better. How much work work are you putting in each week between rounds?

I usually go and hit balls for 90 minutes twice a week, following by 30 minutes or so of putting.  On days I don't go to the range I am usually chipping around in my backyard for a while.

#16 Matt-78

Matt-78

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 361115
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 17 October 2017 - 12:42 PM

Congratulations! I have not been able to break 80 this summer, but I did shoot an 80 two weeks ago at a 6412 yd. course. Keep it up!
Cobra Biocell+ Matrix Red Tie S
Titleist 913f White Board S
Adams Pro DHY 18 Tour Blue S
Mizuno MP-54 4-PW
Cleveland CG-14 52-56 and Vokey SM5 60
Odyssey White Ice #9

#17 cowbomb02

cowbomb02

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 383544
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 19 October 2017 - 02:44 AM

congrats. I broke 80 for the first time a few months ago so I know the feeling.

#18 Smashdcrab

Smashdcrab

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 482642
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 22 October 2017 - 05:59 PM

Congrats, I have only broke 80 twice on a full size course. I had a 79 around 8 months ago, then I couldn't play for 6 months or so, since I have been back playing I have given 80 a scare a few times but haven't broken it until today with my personal best 76. I'm so happy, I don't drink, but today I will have one beer. No, I will have one for each birdie so I can have 2.

#19 GMN_02

GMN_02

Memeber

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 05:43 PM

Update:

I truly believe the key to breaking 80 is your short game.  Not 100 yards and in but chips and pitches.  Two years ago when I was introduced to the game my father brought me to a beautiful but challenging course, I think I shot a 117.  Fast forward to today, I played the tips and shot a 78 with 9 fairways, 6 GIRs, and 29 putts.  I really think the key to breaking 80 is having the ability to get up and down.  

Anyone have any other thoughts or comments on this?  What are you guys doing to work on your short game and putting?  I'd love to hear.

Edited by GMN_02, 29 October 2017 - 11:23 AM.

#20 Smashdcrab

Smashdcrab

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 06:45 PM

Maybe it is no coincidence that my good scores generally come after I have been working on my short game a little.

I pick a random spot off the practice green , chip or pitch 6 balls towards the hole. Then grab my putter and try to make the putts. The aim is to get up and down 6/6. I won't go home until I'm getting 4/6 consistently, and sometimes I push that to getting 5/6 at least once before I leave.
   I guess it kind of puts pressure on me to chip and pitch well to make the putting easier. It has certainly helped confidence on short putts.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 sixogto21

sixogto21

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 258506
  • Ebay ID:Ptchblk06
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 31 October 2017 - 06:56 PM

I honestly know I don't put enough time in but just got married this year and I work about 55 to 60 hours a week normally. Lot of stuff going on. I have never broke 80 nor under 40 on 9 but I am usually in the mid 80s from the tips. Last month I was out at Johnathan's Landing here locally, I had an idea I was close but wasn't paying close attention to it. I get to 9 and miss a 5 foot putt by lip out. Tallied up and shot a 40! I was so mad but still happy about it. Went on to shoot a 42 on the back.

Fast forward one week, I really wanted to play but it was a Wednesday I had off and no one else did. I rode 9 by myself in a constant mist of rain. again didn't pay much attention but I knew I had only missed one fairway. I got to 9 and made the mistake of counting. Easy par 5 and I was sitting at a 35. All I needed was a birdie to hit one of my goals. I get to the tee box (only missed one fairway previously). Greenskeeper was on the box with me putting in signs for the tournament that day. Maybe it was him watching me but I freaking duffed my tee shot. Worm burned about 150 yards down the middle. Left me way short obviously so I was stupid and went for my 3 wood, topped that one about 80 yards leaving me like 300 out. Hit my Hyrbrid pure but ended up right and like 80 out. Hit my 60 barely long and rolled down in to the hazard. UGHHH. Drop 5 hit 6 and one putted for a 7  and a 42 :( complete blow up!

Then last week, I knew again I was having a good round. easy par 5 Number 8 at Rookery North in DE. Absolutely smoked My drive left me 228 out on a 532 par 5! Got out my 4 iron just trying to hit it close to the bottleneck of the fairway. For some stupid reason overswung and topped the ball, it literally almost hit me in the forehead it came straight up and then rolled like 2 yards LMAO. I then calmed down and hit my 4 iron again, PUT IT within 2 feet! Made the putt for the worst Birdie of my life ! Guess what, ended up with a 40! LOL

I know I am close but every time I am there I get in my own head!

#22 Smashdcrab

Smashdcrab

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2017 - 09:40 PM

sixogto21, on 31 October 2017 - 06:56 PM, said:

I honestly know I don't put enough time in but just got married this year and I work about 55 to 60 hours a week normally. Lot of stuff going on. I have never broke 80 nor under 40 on 9 but I am usually in the mid 80s from the tips. Last month I was out at Johnathan's Landing here locally, I had an idea I was close but wasn't paying close attention to it. I get to 9 and miss a 5 foot putt by lip out. Tallied up and shot a 40! I was so mad but still happy about it. Went on to shoot a 42 on the back.

Fast forward one week, I really wanted to play but it was a Wednesday I had off and no one else did. I rode 9 by myself in a constant mist of rain. again didn't pay much attention but I knew I had only missed one fairway. I got to 9 and made the mistake of counting. Easy par 5 and I was sitting at a 35. All I needed was a birdie to hit one of my goals. I get to the tee box (only missed one fairway previously). Greenskeeper was on the box with me putting in signs for the tournament that day. Maybe it was him watching me but I freaking duffed my tee shot. Worm burned about 150 yards down the middle. Left me way short obviously so I was stupid and went for my 3 wood, topped that one about 80 yards leaving me like 300 out. Hit my Hyrbrid pure but ended up right and like 80 out. Hit my 60 barely long and rolled down in to the hazard. UGHHH. Drop 5 hit 6 and one putted for a 7  and a 42 :( complete blow up!

Then last week, I knew again I was having a good round. easy par 5 Number 8 at Rookery North in DE. Absolutely smoked My drive left me 228 out on a 532 par 5! Got out my 4 iron just trying to hit it close to the bottleneck of the fairway. For some stupid reason overswung and topped the ball, it literally almost hit me in the forehead it came straight up and then rolled like 2 yards LMAO. I then calmed down and hit my 4 iron again, PUT IT within 2 feet! Made the putt for the worst Birdie of my life ! Guess what, ended up with a 40! LOL

I know I am close but every time I am there I get in my own head!

Its obvious you will get it soon mate. Just trick your brain a little. I have been making more birdie putts lately by pretending I'm putting for bogey. The thing that inspired this was me noticing that I was walking up to 7-8 footers for pars and bogeys expecting to make them. The same 7-8 footer for birdie I was walking up just hoping to make it.
In Happy Gilmore it was recommended to go to your happy place, that is one other thing you could try.

#23 Benflicky

Benflicky

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 386192
  • Ebay ID:beflicke_0
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 31 October 2017 - 09:59 PM

I'm proud of you

#24 Tnew23

Tnew23

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481416
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 01 November 2017 - 12:22 AM

I started playing in march and have broke 80 twice from around 6500 yards and twice from around 6900. I'm also 24 years old and caught the bug. I was consistently in the mid 90's then I hurt my back so for 10 days I couldn't take any full swings so I chipped and putted for about an hour a day. After I came back I was instantly in the high to mid 80's range. I now from from the tips exclusively and average in the mid 80's and am around a 9 handicap. Short game is in my opinion the most important aspect of a decent score. That and keeping your teeshot in play at least and not taking a penalty. My last 78 was 2 weeks ago from 6500 and I hit a 3wood off every tee but the par 5's (which ended up being 220 yard duck hooks in the woods anyway). My 3wood in play between 235-260 was much better than being 280 in the woods with my driver. My best score happen when my chipping and putting are on.

Edited by Tnew23, 01 November 2017 - 12:23 AM.

Driver: Ping G LS 11.1 deg
3 wood: Ping G 14.5 deg
Irons 2-pw: Mizuno MP-33's
56deg wedge: Vodkey SM5 M grind
Putter: Ping Cadence TR

#25 BKarre

BKarre

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 74696

Posted 01 November 2017 - 11:00 AM

I also broke 80 twice in a month, first time breaking 80 I shot 78, then a 77.  Someone earlier in the thread mentioned using Arccos, and I've had great success with their products.  I'm a huge fan of reviewing statistics and digesting numbers, and truly understanding distances has been a real help to my game.

Most importantly, though, is I joined a CC this Spring and have been playing far more golf than I had in years prior, which I feel is paramount to building consistency.  I started the year at a 12 and just finished at an 8.1.  Looking forward to more improvement next year!

#26 Soupy1994

Soupy1994

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 445818
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:38 PM

GMN_02, on 26 August 2017 - 09:13 AM, said:

I broke 80 for the first time this month with a 79 and then again this morning with a 76, both times from 6500 yards.  I am 24 and this is my second summer playing.  I got bit by the bug after graduating college and have become obsessed with the game since.

First, I wanted to say thank you to those of you in these forums who provide helpful insight into course management and what to work on to achieve goals like this.  It has been very helpful for me to hear varying opinions and insight into this game we play from golfers of all different levels.  Secondly, I want to return the favor.  For anyone who is looking to break this milestone, please feel free to ask any questions you might have about what I've been working on and how I improved my game to get to this point as quickly as I did.

Again, thank you all for the continued advice!

Keep it up!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors