Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Time to gear up again--would love input

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Pinewood Golfer

Pinewood Golfer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 471630
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 22 August 2017 - 01:36 PM

So, my son has just about outgrown his current US Kids TS size 51" irons, as well as the 3-wood and hybrid that came with the set.  About time to re-tool.  I've read through the various threads comparing US Kids Tour Series to Flynn Golf.  The consensus I've come away with is that Flynn makes better woods/hybrids and USKG makes better irons.  I'm going to ask questions because we don't live in a location that allows us to demo or get fitted for these clubs without traveling out of state (which we aren't doing). So, here go my questions:
  • What wedges are better?  I've seen the Flynn wedges and, to me, the eye test goes to USKG--but my son has never hit them.
  • Do I want steel or graphite shafts in the irons for my son.  Some info, his driver swing speed is about 70 MPH, he hits driver 170 on average and 7-iron 110 on average?
  • Would you go with OEM 3-wood and hybrid or Flynn?  The OEM driver made a MAJOR difference, but I can't see the difference being that great with the 3W and Hybrid.
  • I'm assuming it's not yet time to start talking about senior or ladies clubs/shafts?  Son is 53" tall, weights about 73 pounds, and you saw his swing stats above.
  • What ideas/thoughts do you have that I'm not considering?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 JimDiGritz

JimDiGritz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 474896
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 23 August 2017 - 05:19 AM

I'm no expert but with those swing speeds (which are not far off my 11yr old) he'd probably find the USKids Tour Irons with Steel Shafts a better choice - as for woods - a few of the more knowledgeable posters on here have said that the USKids woods are pretty poor my son has just moved up into a shortened Ping senior driver which is much less whippy for him than his old USKids Tour driver - his distances aren't much better but his odd inconsistent wild hooks and slices have calmed down immediately - hence why we thought the USKids Driver was flexing too much.

My son is still using the USKids Ultralight 4 hybrid, which seems to be okay still and also has the USKids Tour 5 Wood - thinking about it these are his weakest clubs - which may be a technique issue or maybe the USKids woods are really not helping.

TL;DR
Big thumbs up for USKids Tour Irons (with steel shafts)
Thumbs down for USKids Tour with SS higher than 70-75mph
Meh on USKids Tour/UL woods.

#3 tiger1873

tiger1873

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 56

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:44 AM

With a 70 mph swing you are could probably go for a ladies flex.  Generally speaking OEM is the better option but it depends if you have to buy a whole set or just the driver and fairway woods.

I would be planning on what he needs in 6 months more then what he needs to today unless you want to buy new clubs in 6 months again. To me it sounds like he is borderline either way and this should be the last junior set your thinking about. The biggest issue is perhaps his height more then swing speed is the main reason to stay with junior shafts. If you go US kids stick with steel shafts at his age and swing speed.

Once they get the growth spurt your way better off buying adult clubs and switching shafts every 6 months.

If it was me personally I would keep him with the same equipment for everything until it is time for new clubs then switch him to a ladies flex shaft on adult irons.  The last thing you want to do is have lots of gaps in a set. If you start switching to ladies clubs then it's time to think about putting together a compete set with those shafts.

If you do buy adult clubs stick to US Kids length for them and you will be fine.

Edited by tiger1873, 24 August 2017 - 11:06 AM.

#4 Pinewood Golfer

Pinewood Golfer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 471630
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 24 August 2017 - 03:09 PM

View Posttiger1873, on 24 August 2017 - 10:44 AM, said:

With a 70 mph swing you are could probably go for a ladies flex.  Generally speaking OEM is the better option but it depends if you have to buy a whole set or just the driver and fairway woods.

I would be planning on what he needs in 6 months more then what he needs to today unless you want to buy new clubs in 6 months again. To me it sounds like he is borderline either way and this should be the last junior set your thinking about. The biggest issue is perhaps his height more then swing speed is the main reason to stay with junior shafts. If you go US kids stick with steel shafts at his age and swing speed.

Once they get the growth spurt your way better off buying adult clubs and switching shafts every 6 months.

If it was me personally I would keep him with the same equipment for everything until it is time for new clubs then switch him to a ladies flex shaft on adult irons.  The last thing you want to do is have lots of gaps in a set. If you start switching to ladies clubs then it's time to think about putting together a compete set with those shafts.

If you do buy adult clubs stick to US Kids length for them and you will be fine.

In reality, this purchase is with next season in mind.  It'll be a christmas purchase.  He can play with what he has through the fall and grow into them a little bit in early spring.  It's just impossible to know how much kids will grow.  I don't intend to buy clubs that "fit perfect now".  I intend to buy clubs that are close to fitting but, barring a massive growth spurt, he can use for a couple of seasons.  The clubs he currently uses were purchased Christmas 2015.  At the time he was 47" tall and had a swing speed of just over 50 MPH.  I got him the US Kids 51" Tour Series, despite being "too small" and not having enough clubhead speed.  He's used these clubs ever since (except the driver we got recently).  In fairness, it was late that summer before he started really improving, and much of that could be because he actually grew into them.

I emailed Mike Flynn asking his opinion and he thought graphite shafts with the series 2B heads (whatever that means) would be best.  I just don't know enough about this to make the decision myself.

#5 tiger1873

tiger1873

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 03:29 PM

I would stick with the Flynn Golf clubs you almost certainly going to get a more custom fit then US Kids and the driver is a little better from what I remember when we used them plus the shafts are better.

Try to go as long as you can with them as well he probably about to grow a lot soon.   I would make sure you got one size up on the US kid size for fitting them. Talk to Mike at flynn I am sure he will do what you need.

With kids clubs there only going to last a season before you have to replace them.  Heck I have found out many times they only last 6 months. If your looking for clubs that will last longer you need to buy adult clubs and re-shaft them as needed.  Last time I looked it was not cost effective to do this with flynn or US kids clubs.

If it was me I would buy the flynn clubs and then next year Shop on eBay for used club a few years old and with ladies shafts in them if you do this it will save you in the long run.

#6 Golfingdawg19

Golfingdawg19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 354301
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 24 August 2017 - 06:36 PM

View PostPinewood Golfer, on 22 August 2017 - 01:36 PM, said:

So, my son has just about outgrown his current US Kids TS size 51" irons, as well as the 3-wood and hybrid that came with the set.  About time to re-tool.  I've read through the various threads comparing US Kids Tour Series to Flynn Golf.  The consensus I've come away with is that Flynn makes better woods/hybrids and USKG makes better irons.  I'm going to ask questions because we don't live in a location that allows us to demo or get fitted for these clubs without traveling out of state (which we aren't doing). So, here go my questions:
  • What wedges are better?  I've seen the Flynn wedges and, to me, the eye test goes to USKG--but my son has never hit them.
  • Do I want steel or graphite shafts in the irons for my son.  Some info, his driver swing speed is about 70 MPH, he hits driver 170 on average and 7-iron 110 on average?
  • Would you go with OEM 3-wood and hybrid or Flynn?  The OEM driver made a MAJOR difference, but I can't see the difference being that great with the 3W and Hybrid.
  • I'm assuming it's not yet time to start talking about senior or ladies clubs/shafts?  Son is 53" tall, weights about 73 pounds, and you saw his swing stats above.
  • What ideas/thoughts do you have that I'm not considering?

My son is roughly the same size as yours and here is what I would do. Buy the Flynn irons and wedges. Get him an OEM driver and either put a Flynn junior shaft or get a senior flex. The key with the shaft is to get the lightest one. My son has no issues with his driver and it has a senior shaft in it.  I cut it down to the US Kids length for his age. Get him an OEM 5 wood with the same type of shaft that I listed for the driver. I would do the same for the hybrid but get an OEM hybrid that has a loft that matches what the US kids loft would be. If you can get one with adjustable loft that is even better.

#7 MikekiM

MikekiM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 415850
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 24 August 2017 - 06:48 PM

My only comment is that OEM senior flex shafts tend to be a tiny bit thicker than OEM ladies flex shafts.  If you're needing a thin grip, or want to use the Winn Jr. Grips you may have some issues getting them onto senior flex shafts.  My son has a driver with a mens seniors flex shaft, and a driver with a ladies flex, and we noticed that difference right away.
Taylor Made R15
Ping G25
Taylor Made Jetspeed Hybrid
Titleist T-MB
Titleist 716 CB
Titleist Vokey SM6
Scotty Cameron Newport
K-Sig Ball

#8 leezer99

leezer99

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 94

Posted 24 August 2017 - 07:03 PM

View PostMikekiM, on 24 August 2017 - 06:48 PM, said:

My only comment is that OEM senior flex shafts tend to be a tiny bit thicker than OEM ladies flex shafts.  If you're needing a thin grip, or want to use the Winn Jr. Grips you may have some issues getting them onto senior flex shafts.  My son has a driver with a mens seniors flex shaft, and a driver with a ladies flex, and we noticed that difference right away.

This!  ^

I normally do my own grips but trying to get a junior grip on an A flex was damn near impossible.  Had to take it to the shop because I lost patience.

#9 tiger1873

tiger1873

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:29 PM

THe OEM driver will go father forsure but you need to make sure you get a high launch and ladies flex otherwise it will most likely lose distance based on the speed.

You also need to experiment with shafts and drivers because of weight and flex in shafts. Some shafts will be a regular flex when cut down too much. For most people buying a junior driver makes more sense.

#10 darter79

darter79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 24 August 2017 - 11:31 PM

Recently ordered a set of flynn clubs. Driver down to the lob. Great clubs. Love the custom options. Daughter still adjusting some but the driver huge advantage over her us kids. The wedges are super as well.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors