Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Question Re: US Kids Golf Tour Championships

52 replies to this topic

#31 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 788

Posted 24 August 2017 - 04:03 PM

View PostMikekiM, on 24 August 2017 - 03:22 PM, said:

View Postheavy_hitter, on 22 August 2017 - 03:59 PM, said:

Once you have status to go to the World Championships there is zero reason to play in local tours.  It doesn't matter the age or the reason.  There are a lot of good players out there and you should move on to allow them to have a shot at qualifying.  Furthermore, you have said it yourself that the distance of the US Kids Locals are too short.  He should move on to bigger and better tournaments, US Kids Locals are the bottom of the barrel in terms of competing.

I sooo wish more parents had this attitude.  We have an incredible player locally that always plays the local tour, and always wins.  Makes it nearly impossible for others to get any status through the locals.  He'll show up to regionals and win there as well making it that much harder for other kids to get any status.  He finished 2nd this year at worlds, so clearly doesn't need to play locals, but sure enough signed up again for this fall.  No offense to the parent or the kid, as they're great people to hang out with, but sure would be nice if they skipped a few tournaments or played elsewhere once in a while.

It is because they don't know or understand.  I actually confronted someone about it in an age group up from ours.  They had absolutely no idea.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 04:08 PM

View Posttiger1873, on 24 August 2017 - 02:25 PM, said:

View Postdarter79, on 24 August 2017 - 11:30 AM, said:

I think I know of the kid you are referring to. That kid has no business playing at US Kids events and with her age plenty of better options.

The trophy kids are big problem around here. That particular kid is a big reason we played at a higher level then them a little earlier then we should have.  They also do very slow rounds. It got so bad here they had to give 12 year girls and under carts because the rounds were going 7 or 8 hours.  The problem is there behind some boys now who take 7 hours to complete a round.  Some these kids take 10 minutes a shot with there dads coaching.  Not sure if it's like this in Florida or California but everyone here thinks they can be the next Jordan Speith.

It isn't a problem here, at least that I have encountered.  Most of us know each other and keep it moving.  When it gets bad I am not afraid to say something.  I am as easy going as it gets, but have an intimidating presence.  I just tell them to speed up.  Playing in the world's we got behind because of one kid that was slowwwwwww.  Foreign kid whose dad lined up every shot.  The other kid just had a bad couple of days and it slowed us down.  We struggled to catch up.  Second day the foreign kid and his dad started again.  I looked at them and said "We aren't doing this again.  You need to speed up."  They sped up enough to where we didn't get behind.  We instituted the AJGA rules on moving to the next hole.  Was sad because they would be of the green and we would still beat them to the next hole to tee off.  That garbage can throw others kids games off.

#33 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 04:12 PM

View Postleezer99, on 24 August 2017 - 03:22 PM, said:

I think I know of the kid you are referring to. That kid has no business playing at US Kids events and with her age plenty of better options.

The trophy kids are big problem around here. That particular kid is a big reason we played at a higher level then them a little earlier then we should have.  They also do very slow rounds. It got so bad here they had to give 12 year girls and under carts because the rounds were going 7 or 8 hours.  The problem is there behind some boys now who take 7 hours to complete a round.  Some these kids take 10 minutes a shot with there dads coaching.  Not sure if it's like this in Florida or California but everyone here thinks they can be the next Jordan Speith.

We have a couple trophy kids in our LA tour (7 year olds) but it's not too bad since we have so many other options.  As for the long rounds I'd have a rules official out there asap... if our nine hole rounds take more than 2.5 hours I'm losing my mind.

We played a 9 hole PGA Junior League the other day that was brutal.  Started at 5:20 and finished at 7:45.  My son and his partner waited one hole to give the other team honors on the tee box.  The other team teed off first and my boy and his partner still made it down the fairway and to their ball first.  I have never been around play that slow in my entire life.  The coaches taught those kids nothing about moving on and slow play.  They were like two senior citizens on a Sunday stroll in the park.

#34 kekoa

kekoa

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,422 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1328

Posted 24 August 2017 - 04:37 PM

Seems like the consensus is that I should sign my son up and have him win the damn thing.  Am I right?

In all seriousness, I'm looking at playing maybe 4 more local tournaments and moving to SCPGA.  It's scary as hell having my 7 yr old out there by himself, but he will learn to sink or swim very quickly. He will also be playing courses a lot longer, which will be a benefit.  

I know two top finishers at Worlds.  One of them who is 8 will also be transitioning now to SCPGA.  The other one will still play locals, but put more emphasis on States, Regionals, and Worlds.  This shouldn't bother anyone since he doesn't seem to play well in locals, but can put up some crazy good scores at larger tournaments.

#35 MikekiM

MikekiM

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 415850
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 24 August 2017 - 06:20 PM

View Postkekoa, on 24 August 2017 - 04:37 PM, said:

I know two top finishers at Worlds.  One of them who is 8 will also be transitioning now to SCPGA.
I sure hope so and soon, as I know we're talking about the same person.

Come play down here in SD with us!

Taylor Made R15
Ping G25
Taylor Made Jetspeed Hybrid
Titleist T-MB
Titleist 716 CB
Titleist Vokey SM6
Scotty Cameron Newport
K-Sig Ball

#36 kekoa

kekoa

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,422 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1328

Posted 24 August 2017 - 06:26 PM

View PostMikekiM, on 24 August 2017 - 06:20 PM, said:

View Postkekoa, on 24 August 2017 - 04:37 PM, said:

I know two top finishers at Worlds.  One of them who is 8 will also be transitioning now to SCPGA.
I sure hope so and soon, as I know we're talking about the same person.

Come play down here in SD with us!

LoL.  Who is your kid?  initials will work. :)

#37 MikekiM

MikekiM

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 415850
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 24 August 2017 - 06:33 PM

View Postkekoa, on 24 August 2017 - 06:26 PM, said:

LoL.  Who is your kid?  initials will work. :)
JK
Taylor Made R15
Ping G25
Taylor Made Jetspeed Hybrid
Titleist T-MB
Titleist 716 CB
Titleist Vokey SM6
Scotty Cameron Newport
K-Sig Ball

#38 tiger1873

tiger1873

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 87

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:23 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 24 August 2017 - 04:08 PM, said:

It isn't a problem here, at least that I have encountered.  Most of us know each other and keep it moving.  When it gets bad I am not afraid to say something.  I am as easy going as it gets, but have an intimidating presence.  I just tell them to speed up.  Playing in the world's we got behind because of one kid that was slowwwwwww.  Foreign kid whose dad lined up every shot.  The other kid just had a bad couple of days and it slowed us down.  We struggled to catch up.  Second day the foreign kid and his dad started again.  I looked at them and said "We aren't doing this again.  You need to speed up."  They sped up enough to where we didn't get behind.  We instituted the AJGA rules on moving to the next hole.  Was sad because they would be of the green and we would still beat them to the next hole to tee off.  That garbage can throw others kids games off.

I wish it was that way here if I complained about slow play here I don't think it will be taken very well by most parent. The long play makes it mentally tough to play and can really wreck a good score for kids when they get tired.

#39 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2017 - 05:49 AM

View Posttiger1873, on 24 August 2017 - 09:23 PM, said:

View Postheavy_hitter, on 24 August 2017 - 04:08 PM, said:

I wish it was that way here if I complained about slow play here I don't think it will be taken very well by most parent. The long play makes it mentally tough to play and can really wreck a good score for kids when they get tired.

Say something. What is the worst that can happen?  They don't talk to you?  Look right at them, sigh, pound your chest and say "WHILE WER'E YOUNG".  It is usually slow in US Kids because of the caddie, mot the kids.  Sounds like tournament director needs to enforce the slow play penalty.  If they would enforce it they would speed up.

#40 tiger1873

tiger1873

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 87

Posted 25 August 2017 - 02:00 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 25 August 2017 - 05:49 AM, said:

Say something. What is the worst that can happen?  They don't talk to you?  Look right at them, sigh, pound your chest and say "WHILE WER'E YOUNG".  It is usually slow in US Kids because of the caddie, mot the kids.  Sounds like tournament director needs to enforce the slow play penalty.  If they would enforce it they would speed up.

It's a combination of problems out here.  The groups in front of us are slow as well so it's kind of hard to tell them to speed up when you have groups in front of you having to wait to go as well because someone is slow 3 or 4 holes ahead of you. To be honest everyone here is slow on the course even regular rounds take 5 or 6 hours here on the weekends.

Edited by tiger1873, 25 August 2017 - 02:07 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#41 Belmont148

Belmont148

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 474430
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 81

Posted 27 August 2017 - 05:50 AM

Just had our first USK experience, so nowhere near needing to worry about status, or whether other kids should be moving on to harder events. But are folks saying that once a kid has status to go to next years Worlds he/she should only play state and regionals?

The tour we play in has a kid who plays state, regionals, and Worlds and already has blue status for Worlds next year. They are signed up for every event this season, but their parents also are the local tour directors. Are you saying the kid should not play on the local tour that their parents are running?

We aren't even playing a full season this fall because we are not taking it serious yet, but are planning on next spring. I only ask because the kid is in my kids age group and it would obviously affect his status chances next spring. My thoughts are for my kid just to get better, but it appears many feel like the competition at locals should be watered down for the sake of status.
Cobra F7+ Driver 10.5 Aldila Rogue 125 Silver TS 44.5"
Epic SZ 14.5 HZRDUS T800 65 stiff 42"
King Utility 18* CTL R flex
Cobra F6 3 hyb. 19* Aldila Rogue 85H R flex
Cobra Fly Z 4 hyb. 22* Aldila Rogue 85H R flex
Cobra King Forged TEC 5-GW CTL R flex
MD2 Tour 54* and 58* CTL R flex
PM Grind MD3 64* black CTL R flex
Odyssey Versa V Line

#42 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2017 - 03:44 PM

Blue status is as good as having no status.

#43 Belmont148

Belmont148

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2017 - 06:30 PM

Gotcha. New to all the status stuff.
Odyssey Versa V Line

#44 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2017 - 06:53 PM

Platinum and Burgundy are the only two statuses that will guarantee exemptions into regionals and world.  These kids with those two statuses usually don't play locals.  Green will probably get invited, but isn't a guarantee, so you will get those kids still playing local looking for the upper status.  Blue and orange will not get invited to anything and if they do they are wait listed.

#45 Belmont148

Belmont148

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2017 - 07:03 PM

I see now. He is currently burgundy through this year so will need to win one of these locals to get burgundy again for next year. Makes sense now. So whoever wins the fall tour at ours should move on and focus on State, Regionals, and the World and leave the locals alone?

Odyssey Versa V Line

#46 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2017 - 07:38 PM

View PostBelmont148, on 27 August 2017 - 07:03 PM, said:

I see now. He is currently burgundy through this year so will need to win one of these locals to get burgundy again for next year. Makes sense now. So whoever wins the fall tour at ours should move on and focus on State, Regionals, and the World and leave the locals alone?

In my opinion they should.  What age group and what kind of scores does the kid shoot?

#47 Belmont148

Belmont148

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2017 - 07:53 PM

boys 10. -3 to +2.
Odyssey Versa V Line

#48 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2017 - 08:24 PM

View PostBelmont148, on 27 August 2017 - 07:53 PM, said:

boys 10. -3 to +2.

He is a good player.  The other thing is his birthday.  If he turns 11 within the next few months he will be aging up.

#49 Belmont148

Belmont148

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2017 - 08:43 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 27 August 2017 - 08:24 PM, said:

View PostBelmont148, on 27 August 2017 - 07:53 PM, said:

boys 10. -3 to +2.

He is a good player.  The other thing is his birthday.  If he turns 11 within the next few months he will be aging up.

Yes, he is very good. And seems like a great kid. His parents started up the local tour here and really great folks also. I'm not really worried about it, just trying to understand the whole process. I'm hoping my son will be consistently shooting below the minimum score for the spring and summer tours and may worry about it then. Until then, just have to keep him grinding and staying in his own game. As parents I think we look at the competition more than them. I know I do just to get a gauge on how mine is progressing and what he can do better.
Odyssey Versa V Line

#50 Belmont148

Belmont148

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2017 - 08:47 PM

And that's a good point about aging up. I think he will and my son will have one tour still in 10. I have looked around some other tours and seen kids win all 3 for a year. Before I understood the system I thought good for them, now I see it as pretty pointless. I know as a parent, I would never waste my money if my kid had full status. I'd focus on other events.

Odyssey Versa V Line

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#51 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2017 - 04:59 AM

View PostBelmont148, on 27 August 2017 - 08:47 PM, said:

And that's a good point about aging up. I think he will and my son will have one tour still in 10. I have looked around some other tours and seen kids win all 3 for a year. Before I understood the system I thought good for them, now I see it as pretty pointless. I know as a parent, I would never waste my money if my kid had full status. I'd focus on other events.

It is pointless when there are other options.  Once you get to the age of 11 and depending where you live in the country, there are other options out there.  It does nothing to continue to win one day events.  It becomes time to start working on your golf resume.  Need to play two day tournaments because one day wins don't count.

#52 darter79

darter79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 28 August 2017 - 10:41 AM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 27 August 2017 - 06:53 PM, said:

Platinum and Burgundy are the only two statuses that will guarantee exemptions into regionals and world.  These kids with those two statuses usually don't play locals.  Green will probably get invited, but isn't a guarantee, so you will get those kids still playing local looking for the upper status.  Blue and orange will not get invited to anything and if they do they are wait listed.

this varies from age group/gender correct? I thought I had read somewhere in the younger groups almost any status will get you into events like regionals, state and even worlds. Granted the older groups and boys probally draw bigger fields so this might not be true for boys and older.

#53 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2017 - 11:26 AM

View Postdarter79, on 28 August 2017 - 10:41 AM, said:

View Postheavy_hitter, on 27 August 2017 - 06:53 PM, said:

this varies from age group/gender correct? I thought I had read somewhere in the younger groups almost any status will get you into events like regionals, state and even worlds. Granted the older groups and boys probally draw bigger fields so this might not be true for boys and older.

This past year Green was invited for Boy's 6,7, and 12.  12 years olds were only expanded to green because they expanded the field to 200 kids over 2 courses.  No one was invited with orange or blue status unless they earned it in World's or the European Championship.  

Girl's is different.  Green in every age group was invited.  Orange in all age groups but 9 and 10.  Blue only in the 6U.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors