Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Question Re: US Kids Golf Tour Championships


52 replies to this topic

#1 kekoa

kekoa

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,422 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Joined: 10/02/2008
  • Location:in the hole
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1328

Posted 22 August 2017 - 11:58 AM

For those that play US Kids tournaments still.  Would it bother you if a kid plays split tours?  For instance, if he bounces around between the LA and OC Tour?  My son recently won the OC Tour Championship and he wants to also play the LA Tour Championship this weekend.  We are only trying to get more tournament practice in and hang out with friends.  We have no chance of winning the thing, but I've heard some parents complain that by playing this Tour Championship, my son could be 'stealing' points from the other kids.  

I never even thought about this before so looking for some feedback.

Thanks


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 Pinewood Golfer

Pinewood Golfer

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 471630
  • Joined: 06/17/2017
  • Location:Mississippi
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 22 August 2017 - 01:38 PM

View Postkekoa, on 22 August 2017 - 11:58 AM, said:

For those that play US Kids tournaments still.  Would it bother you if a kid plays split tours?  For instance, if he bounces around between the LA and OC Tour?  My son recently won the OC Tour Championship and he wants to also play the LA Tour Championship this weekend.  We are only trying to get more tournament practice in and hang out with friends.  We have no chance of winning the thing, but I've heard some parents complain that by playing this Tour Championship, my son could be 'stealing' points from the other kids.  

I never even thought about this before so looking for some feedback.

Thanks

I would not hesitate to play whatever tour your child wants to play.  Stealing points is a ridiculous thought.  I can remember wishing that certain kids didn't show up at certain local events, but the thought never crossed my mind that a parent owed any other kid (or their parent) anything.  Quality events for young kids are tough to come by and I'll be damned if a parent is going to judge me for allowing my kid to participate.

2

#3 MikekiM

MikekiM

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 415850
  • Joined: 03/15/2016
  • Location:San Diego, CA
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 22 August 2017 - 02:22 PM

I say play wherever you want. The only downside I see is the cost since you've got to pay the season fee on top of the entry fee for just one tournament.
Taylor Made R15
Ping G25
Taylor Made Jetspeed Hybrid
Titleist T-MB
Titleist 716 CB
Titleist Vokey SM6
Scotty Cameron Newport
K-Sig Ball

3

#4 kekoa

kekoa

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,422 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Joined: 10/02/2008
  • Location:in the hole
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1328

Posted 22 August 2017 - 02:24 PM

View PostMikekiM, on 22 August 2017 - 02:22 PM, said:

I say play wherever you want. The only downside I see is the cost since you've got to pay the season fee on top of the entry fee for just one tournament.

Thanks guys.  I actually had already paid the season fee for one tournament I had played last month.

I think I will go for it and see what happens.

4

#5 leezer99

leezer99

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
  • Joined: 09/10/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 153

Posted 22 August 2017 - 02:42 PM

View Postkekoa, on 22 August 2017 - 11:58 AM, said:

For those that play US Kids tournaments still.  Would it bother you if a kid plays split tours?  For instance, if he bounces around between the LA and OC Tour?  My son recently won the OC Tour Championship and he wants to also play the LA Tour Championship this weekend.  We are only trying to get more tournament practice in and hang out with friends.  We have no chance of winning the thing, but I've heard some parents complain that by playing this Tour Championship, my son could be 'stealing' points from the other kids.  

I never even thought about this before so looking for some feedback.

Thanks

Stealing points... that's ridiculous.  Play wherever you want.


5

#6 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
  • Joined: 03/16/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 790

Posted 22 August 2017 - 03:59 PM

Haven't been posting, but have been lurking.  Saw this and had to post.

Once you have status to go to the World Championships there is zero reason to play in local tours.  It doesn't matter the age or the reason.  There are a lot of good players out there and you should move on to allow them to have a shot at qualifying.  Furthermore, you have said it yourself that the distance of the US Kids Locals are too short.  He should move on to bigger and better tournaments, US Kids Locals are the bottom of the barrel in terms of competing.

6

#7 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
  • Joined: 03/16/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 790

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:05 PM

And to answer the question, where he places could determine where someone else finishes.  I would be pissed if he showed up without playing the other events.  It isn't stealing points, but he is going to effect the outcome.  My opinion is that it isn't right.

Edited by heavy_hitter, 22 August 2017 - 07:06 PM.


7

#8 Noles

Noles

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136360
  • Joined: 08/14/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 252

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:41 PM

I had this criticism of US kids local tours years ago.  You are doing nothing wrong by playing but US Kids should rethink how points are allocated.  A player should need to play in a certain number of events to earn points.

8

#9 leezer99

leezer99

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
  • Joined: 09/10/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 153

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:58 PM

View PostNoles, on 22 August 2017 - 07:41 PM, said:

I had this criticism of US kids local tours years ago.  You are doing nothing wrong by playing but US Kids should rethink how points are allocated.  A player should need to play in a certain number of events to earn points.

In all fairness, our tour (that kekoa is going to play in) says you need to play four events to get the code for the tour championship but when it doesn't fill up they just email it out to everyone anyway.

9

#10 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
  • Joined: 03/16/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 790

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:28 PM

View Postleezer99, on 22 August 2017 - 07:58 PM, said:

View PostNoles, on 22 August 2017 - 07:41 PM, said:

I had this criticism of US kids local tours years ago.  You are doing nothing wrong by playing but US Kids should rethink how points are allocated.  A player should need to play in a certain number of events to earn points.

In all fairness, our tour (that kekoa is going to play in) says you need to play four events to get the code for the tour championship but when it doesn't fill up they just email it out to everyone anyway.

So it becomes about money?


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 leezer99

leezer99

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
  • Joined: 09/10/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 153

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:57 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 22 August 2017 - 08:28 PM, said:

View Postleezer99, on 22 August 2017 - 07:58 PM, said:

View PostNoles, on 22 August 2017 - 07:41 PM, said:

I had this criticism of US kids local tours years ago.  You are doing nothing wrong by playing but US Kids should rethink how points are allocated.  A player should need to play in a certain number of events to earn points.

In all fairness, our tour (that kekoa is going to play in) says you need to play four events to get the code for the tour championship but when it doesn't fill up they just email it out to everyone anyway.

So it becomes about money?
You being serious?

11

#12 Noles

Noles

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136360
  • Joined: 08/14/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 252

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:45 PM

View Postleezer99, on 22 August 2017 - 07:58 PM, said:

View PostNoles, on 22 August 2017 - 07:41 PM, said:

I had this criticism of US kids local tours years ago.  You are doing nothing wrong by playing but US Kids should rethink how points are allocated.  A player should need to play in a certain number of events to earn points.

In all fairness, our tour (that kekoa is going to play in) says you need to play four events to get the code for the tour championship but when it doesn't fill up they just email it out to everyone anyway.
So then what's the point?

12

#13 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
  • Joined: 03/16/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 790

Posted 23 August 2017 - 05:55 AM

View Postleezer99, on 22 August 2017 - 08:57 PM, said:

View Postheavy_hitter, on 22 August 2017 - 08:28 PM, said:

View Postleezer99, on 22 August 2017 - 07:58 PM, said:

View PostNoles, on 22 August 2017 - 07:41 PM, said:

I had this criticism of US kids local tours years ago.  You are doing nothing wrong by playing but US Kids should rethink how points are allocated.  A player should need to play in a certain number of events to earn points.

In all fairness, our tour (that kekoa is going to play in) says you need to play four events to get the code for the tour championship but when it doesn't fill up they just email it out to everyone anyway.

So it becomes about money?
You being serious?

If the tour says you must play in 4 events, and if it isn't full they send an email to fill it, then yes.

13

#14 leezer99

leezer99

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
  • Joined: 09/10/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 153

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:00 AM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 23 August 2017 - 05:55 AM, said:

View Postleezer99, on 22 August 2017 - 08:57 PM, said:

View Postheavy_hitter, on 22 August 2017 - 08:28 PM, said:

View Postleezer99, on 22 August 2017 - 07:58 PM, said:

View PostNoles, on 22 August 2017 - 07:41 PM, said:

I had this criticism of US kids local tours years ago.  You are doing nothing wrong by playing but US Kids should rethink how points are allocated.  A player should need to play in a certain number of events to earn points.

In all fairness, our tour (that kekoa is going to play in) says you need to play four events to get the code for the tour championship but when it doesn't fill up they just email it out to everyone anyway.

So it becomes about money?
You being serious?

If the tour says you must play in 4 events, and if it isn't full they send an email to fill it, then yes.

I don't think there has ever been a doubt that USK and every other tour is about making money.

14

#15 darter79

darter79

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
  • Joined: 10/03/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:35 AM

Let the kids play where they want to. If parents get bad about point stealing thats stupid. Don't like it have your kid play better. Not sure about other areas but for the younger golfer not a lot of options outside of US KIds golf. Once my daugther has stauts we will continue to play in US kids. (Keep in mind in her division normally only 3 girls that show up, sometimes 4) To not play just to allow others to get status has the same feeling of eveyone gets a trophy though process which I hate. You need to EARN it. Not be given because the better kids stoped playing. This fall we are playing in two local tours. Are we stealing points?  Perhaps I'm missing something but this is absurd if you ask me.


15

#16 kekoa

kekoa

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,422 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Joined: 10/02/2008
  • Location:in the hole
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1328

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:22 AM

I emailed the Tour Director just to get his input as well.  Here is his response in quotes:

'There should be no concern. All kids in the points have their spot secured. Event is open for all.'


I personally wouldn't have any issue with a kid showing up for the tour championship who may also play another tour.  If he wins or places then good for him.  If my kid wasn't able to earn enough points through the season then bottom line is he/she just needs to play better.  lol  :flameon:

16

#17 Noles

Noles

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136360
  • Joined: 08/14/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 252

Posted 23 August 2017 - 01:45 PM

Like I said before, USKids needs to rethink how they allocate points and only award points for kids who have played a minimum number of events per tour.  That does not mean limiting anyone from playing, just from earning points toward POY and a spot in World Championships.

17

#18 darter79

darter79

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
  • Joined: 10/03/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 23 August 2017 - 01:51 PM

View PostNoles, on 23 August 2017 - 01:45 PM, said:

Like I said before, USKids needs to rethink how they allocate points and only award points for kids who have played a minimum number of events per tour.  That does not mean limiting anyone from playing, just from earning points toward POY and a spot in World Championships.

I think the POY is a joke, to me its about who plays in every tournament vs who is actually the best player in that division. It does force you to play in more events in order to secure that for status purposes.

18

#19 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
  • Joined: 03/16/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 790

Posted 24 August 2017 - 06:34 AM

View Postdarter79, on 23 August 2017 - 01:51 PM, said:

View PostNoles, on 23 August 2017 - 01:45 PM, said:

Like I said before, USKids needs to rethink how they allocate points and only award points for kids who have played a minimum number of events per tour.  That does not mean limiting anyone from playing, just from earning points toward POY and a spot in World Championships.

I think the POY is a joke, to me its about who plays in every tournament vs who is actually the best player in that division. It does force you to play in more events in order to secure that for status purposes.

Depends where you play.  The 5th best player in a South Florida Local is better than 90% of the other players winning local tours in the rest of the country.  There was a kid from Mississippi in the 12 year old division of the World Championships that won his local tour.  He finished in the bottom of the field firing 100's.  He would finish in last place in our local tour.

19

#20 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
  • Joined: 03/16/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 790

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:27 AM

View Postdarter79, on 23 August 2017 - 08:35 AM, said:

Let the kids play where they want to. If parents get bad about point stealing thats stupid. Don't like it have your kid play better. Not sure about other areas but for the younger golfer not a lot of options outside of US KIds golf. Once my daugther has stauts we will continue to play in US kids. (Keep in mind in her division normally only 3 girls that show up, sometimes 4) To not play just to allow others to get status has the same feeling of eveyone gets a trophy though process which I hate. You need to EARN it. Not be given because the better kids stoped playing. This fall we are playing in two local tours. Are we stealing points?  Perhaps I'm missing something but this is absurd if you ask me.

I take exception to this post.  It isn't about every kid getting a trophy.

LA and South Florida are alike where you have many junior golf options outside of US Kids.  They are also alike where you have many kids at equal ability of each other that are really good players all of deserving a chance.  I can tell you that in our local there are 5 kids in most divisions that can go and compete at Worlds and be successful.  These kids would run a way with first place in other Local tours across the country.  Because they live in these areas they are restricted.  When you have a kid that has secured status, you move on to the other options.  You don't take the opportunity away from the other kids that are just as deserving and can shoot even par or below par.  You move on to those other options.

US Kids has tried to address this with the new status of Burgundy, but it still doesn't help every kid that can play.  

I will add this as well.  A 7 or 8 year old doesn't know what they want to play in.  They can't make that decision for themselves, that is a parental decision.  If I asked my kid if he wanted to play in a tournament the next 10 weekends in a row he would say yes because he likes to play.  That doesn't mean that is the best for him.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 darter79

darter79

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
  • Joined: 10/03/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:15 AM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 24 August 2017 - 08:27 AM, said:

View Postdarter79, on 23 August 2017 - 08:35 AM, said:

Let the kids play where they want to. If parents get bad about point stealing thats stupid. Don't like it have your kid play better. Not sure about other areas but for the younger golfer not a lot of options outside of US KIds golf. Once my daugther has stauts we will continue to play in US kids. (Keep in mind in her division normally only 3 girls that show up, sometimes 4) To not play just to allow others to get status has the same feeling of eveyone gets a trophy though process which I hate. You need to EARN it. Not be given because the better kids stoped playing. This fall we are playing in two local tours. Are we stealing points?  Perhaps I'm missing something but this is absurd if you ask me.

I take exception to this post.  It isn't about every kid getting a trophy.

LA and South Florida are alike where you have many junior golf options outside of US Kids.  They are also alike where you have many kids at equal ability of each other that are really good players all of deserving a chance.  I can tell you that in our local there are 5 kids in most divisions that can go and compete at Worlds and be successful.  These kids would run a way with first place in other Local tours across the country.  Because they live in these areas they are restricted.  When you have a kid that has secured status, you move on to the other options.  You don't take the opportunity away from the other kids that are just as deserving and can shoot even par or below par.  You move on to those other options.

US Kids has tried to address this with the new status of Burgundy, but it still doesn't help every kid that can play.  

I will add this as well.  A 7 or 8 year old doesn't know what they want to play in.  They can't make that decision for themselves, that is a parental decision.  If I asked my kid if he wanted to play in a tournament the next 10 weekends in a row he would say yes because he likes to play.  That doesn't mean that is the best for him.

I won't disagree that competition is better in those areas than most. But if these kids are shooting even par one under and coming in 6th place well than us kids should rethink how status are done. Perhaps should be less about how much you play and more about scoring average but then they loose money that way.  Still not a fan of the points systems. Don't mean any disrespect just stating what I've seen and/or read.

21

#22 tiger1873

tiger1873

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
  • Joined: 09/20/2014
  • Location:United States
GolfWRX Likes : 87

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:30 AM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 24 August 2017 - 06:34 AM, said:

View Postdarter79, on 23 August 2017 - 01:51 PM, said:

View PostNoles, on 23 August 2017 - 01:45 PM, said:

Like I said before, USKids needs to rethink how they allocate points and only award points for kids who have played a minimum number of events per tour.  That does not mean limiting anyone from playing, just from earning points toward POY and a spot in World Championships.

I think the POY is a joke, to me its about who plays in every tournament vs who is actually the best player in that division. It does force you to play in more events in order to secure that for status purposes.

Depends where you play.  The 5th best player in a South Florida Local is better than 90% of the other players winning local tours in the rest of the country.  There was a kid from Mississippi in the 12 year old division of the World Championships that won his local tour.  He finished in the bottom of the field firing 100's.  He would finish in last place in our local tour.

I totally agree with this statement. Here in Texas we have the same kids who play local tournaments despite placing top 10 in the world championship and are exempt the next year. The main I believe they even continue to play the local tour is to deny other players as much as they can.  

Had a neighbor who kids kept winning local tours when his kid was 9 or 10. Said he regretted playing tournaments so much because no one remembered or cared by the time he was a senior in college.  The advice he gave me is to focus on the them having fun and playing better golf when they are under 12.

I personally do not think that works because if you truly that good on the local tour it is time to do more challenging stuff.   We tend to avoid the local tour because it simply is too stressful to be constantly playing the girl who got second place for 2 or 3 years and is supposed to win everything she enters.

When my kids are young and playing tournaments I want them to be having fun not stressed out for a local tour that has no meaning every week. I have already seen a lot kids burn out like that.  The more they have fun the more they will want to compete and win later when it really matters.

Edited by tiger1873, 24 August 2017 - 10:37 AM.


22

#23 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
  • Joined: 03/16/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 790

Posted 24 August 2017 - 11:09 AM

View Posttiger1873, on 24 August 2017 - 10:30 AM, said:

View Postheavy_hitter, on 24 August 2017 - 06:34 AM, said:

View Postdarter79, on 23 August 2017 - 01:51 PM, said:

View PostNoles, on 23 August 2017 - 01:45 PM, said:

Like I said before, USKids needs to rethink how they allocate points and only award points for kids who have played a minimum number of events per tour.  That does not mean limiting anyone from playing, just from earning points toward POY and a spot in World Championships.

I think the POY is a joke, to me its about who plays in every tournament vs who is actually the best player in that division. It does force you to play in more events in order to secure that for status purposes.

Depends where you play.  The 5th best player in a South Florida Local is better than 90% of the other players winning local tours in the rest of the country.  There was a kid from Mississippi in the 12 year old division of the World Championships that won his local tour.  He finished in the bottom of the field firing 100's.  He would finish in last place in our local tour.

I totally agree with this statement. Here in Texas we have the same kids who play local tournaments despite placing top 10 in the world championship and are exempt the next year. The main I believe they even continue to play the local tour is to deny other players as much as they can.  

Had a neighbor who kids kept winning local tours when his kid was 9 or 10. Said he regretted playing tournaments so much because no one remembered or cared by the time he was a senior in college.  The advice he gave me is to focus on the them having fun and playing better golf when they are under 12.

I personally do not think that works because if you truly that good on the local tour it is time to do more challenging stuff.   We tend to avoid the local tour because it simply is too stressful to be constantly playing the girl who got second place for 2 or 3 years and is supposed to win everything she enters.

When my kids are young and playing tournaments I want them to be having fun not stressed out for a local tour that has no meaning every week. I have already seen a lot kids burn out like that.  The more they have fun the more they will want to compete and win later when it really matters.

Yep.  

The only thing winning a tournament right now means anything to is the kid and the parents.  It means nothing else to anyone else and it means nothing when considering the future of the kid.  Since returning from the World Championships he has had 1 lesson last week.  Has been to the course a total of 4 times.  Played in a PGA Junior League last night and shot a 33 by himself.  I think they used two of the other kids shots all day.  You can't push them all the time.

23

#24 darter79

darter79

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
  • Joined: 10/03/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 24 August 2017 - 11:30 AM

View Posttiger1873, on 24 August 2017 - 10:30 AM, said:

View Postheavy_hitter, on 24 August 2017 - 06:34 AM, said:

View Postdarter79, on 23 August 2017 - 01:51 PM, said:

View PostNoles, on 23 August 2017 - 01:45 PM, said:

Like I said before, USKids needs to rethink how they allocate points and only award points for kids who have played a minimum number of events per tour.  That does not mean limiting anyone from playing, just from earning points toward POY and a spot in World Championships.

I think the POY is a joke, to me its about who plays in every tournament vs who is actually the best player in that division. It does force you to play in more events in order to secure that for status purposes.

Depends where you play.  The 5th best player in a South Florida Local is better than 90% of the other players winning local tours in the rest of the country.  There was a kid from Mississippi in the 12 year old division of the World Championships that won his local tour.  He finished in the bottom of the field firing 100's.  He would finish in last place in our local tour.

I totally agree with this statement. Here in Texas we have the same kids who play local tournaments despite placing top 10 in the world championship and are exempt the next year. The main I believe they even continue to play the local tour is to deny other players as much as they can.  

Had a neighbor who kids kept winning local tours when his kid was 9 or 10. Said he regretted playing tournaments so much because no one remembered or cared by the time he was a senior in college.  The advice he gave me is to focus on the them having fun and playing better golf when they are under 12.

I personally do not think that works because if you truly that good on the local tour it is time to do more challenging stuff.   We tend to avoid the local tour because it simply is too stressful to be constantly playing the girl who got second place for 2 or 3 years and is supposed to win everything she enters.

When my kids are young and playing tournaments I want them to be having fun not stressed out for a local tour that has no meaning every week. I have already seen a lot kids burn out like that.  The more they have fun the more they will want to compete and win later when it really matters.

I think I know of the kid you are referring to. That kid has no business playing at US Kids events and with her age plenty of better options.

24

#25 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
  • Joined: 03/16/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 790

Posted 24 August 2017 - 11:59 AM

View Postdarter79, on 24 August 2017 - 11:30 AM, said:

View Posttiger1873, on 24 August 2017 - 10:30 AM, said:

View Postheavy_hitter, on 24 August 2017 - 06:34 AM, said:

View Postdarter79, on 23 August 2017 - 01:51 PM, said:

View PostNoles, on 23 August 2017 - 01:45 PM, said:

Like I said before, USKids needs to rethink how they allocate points and only award points for kids who have played a minimum number of events per tour.  That does not mean limiting anyone from playing, just from earning points toward POY and a spot in World Championships.

I think the POY is a joke, to me its about who plays in every tournament vs who is actually the best player in that division. It does force you to play in more events in order to secure that for status purposes.

Depends where you play.  The 5th best player in a South Florida Local is better than 90% of the other players winning local tours in the rest of the country.  There was a kid from Mississippi in the 12 year old division of the World Championships that won his local tour.  He finished in the bottom of the field firing 100's.  He would finish in last place in our local tour.

I totally agree with this statement. Here in Texas we have the same kids who play local tournaments despite placing top 10 in the world championship and are exempt the next year. The main I believe they even continue to play the local tour is to deny other players as much as they can.  

Had a neighbor who kids kept winning local tours when his kid was 9 or 10. Said he regretted playing tournaments so much because no one remembered or cared by the time he was a senior in college.  The advice he gave me is to focus on the them having fun and playing better golf when they are under 12.

I personally do not think that works because if you truly that good on the local tour it is time to do more challenging stuff.   We tend to avoid the local tour because it simply is too stressful to be constantly playing the girl who got second place for 2 or 3 years and is supposed to win everything she enters.

When my kids are young and playing tournaments I want them to be having fun not stressed out for a local tour that has no meaning every week. I have already seen a lot kids burn out like that.  The more they have fun the more they will want to compete and win later when it really matters.

I think I know of the kid you are referring to. That kid has no business playing at US Kids events and with her age plenty of better options.

Those are trophy kids.  Their parents pat themselves on the back because they have won 50 US kids locals.  I think my son has lost as many as he still has in a junk drawer some where.  It all comes down to your kids what you as a parent values.  We value hard work, did you behave like a gentleman, were you a great sportsmen showing dignity as well as respect to your opponent and the game.  I am proud of those values because that is what makes you a successful person that adds to society.  A trophy is just a symbol and though I am happy when he wins, it is not an accomplishment I am proud of unless he shows great values as a person along the way.  At that I am not proud of the award for winning because that will not make the man that he will become.

Edited by heavy_hitter, 24 August 2017 - 04:00 PM.


25

#26 leezer99

leezer99

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
  • Joined: 09/10/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 153

Posted 24 August 2017 - 01:06 PM

View Posttiger1873, on 24 August 2017 - 10:30 AM, said:

View Postheavy_hitter, on 24 August 2017 - 06:34 AM, said:

View Postdarter79, on 23 August 2017 - 01:51 PM, said:

View PostNoles, on 23 August 2017 - 01:45 PM, said:

Like I said before, USKids needs to rethink how they allocate points and only award points for kids who have played a minimum number of events per tour.  That does not mean limiting anyone from playing, just from earning points toward POY and a spot in World Championships.

I think the POY is a joke, to me its about who plays in every tournament vs who is actually the best player in that division. It does force you to play in more events in order to secure that for status purposes.

Depends where you play.  The 5th best player in a South Florida Local is better than 90% of the other players winning local tours in the rest of the country.  There was a kid from Mississippi in the 12 year old division of the World Championships that won his local tour.  He finished in the bottom of the field firing 100's.  He would finish in last place in our local tour.

I totally agree with this statement. Here in Texas we have the same kids who play local tournaments despite placing top 10 in the world championship and are exempt the next year. The main I believe they even continue to play the local tour is to deny other players as much as they can.  

Had a neighbor who kids kept winning local tours when his kid was 9 or 10. Said he regretted playing tournaments so much because no one remembered or cared by the time he was a senior in college.  The advice he gave me is to focus on the them having fun and playing better golf when they are under 12.

I personally do not think that works because if you truly that good on the local tour it is time to do more challenging stuff.   We tend to avoid the local tour because it simply is too stressful to be constantly playing the girl who got second place for 2 or 3 years and is supposed to win everything she enters.

When my kids are young and playing tournaments I want them to be having fun not stressed out for a local tour that has no meaning every week. I have already seen a lot kids burn out like that.  The more they have fun the more they will want to compete and win later when it really matters.

I guess we're lucky that our top 9 year old only plays local tour in Spring, gets his exemption and then moves on to other tours every year.  Although he did place top ten this year at worlds so I'm not even sure he'll be back next year on the local tour.  Would be nice though since he and his pops are great people.

26

#27 tiger1873

tiger1873

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
  • Joined: 09/20/2014
  • Location:United States
GolfWRX Likes : 87

Posted 24 August 2017 - 02:25 PM

View Postdarter79, on 24 August 2017 - 11:30 AM, said:


I think I know of the kid you are referring to. That kid has no business playing at US Kids events and with her age plenty of better options.

The trophy kids are big problem around here. That particular kid is a big reason we played at a higher level then them a little earlier then we should have.  They also do very slow rounds. It got so bad here they had to give 12 year girls and under carts because the rounds were going 7 or 8 hours.  The problem is there behind some boys now who take 7 hours to complete a round.  Some these kids take 10 minutes a shot with there dads coaching.  Not sure if it's like this in Florida or California but everyone here thinks they can be the next Jordan Speith.

27

#28 MikekiM

MikekiM

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 415850
  • Joined: 03/15/2016
  • Location:San Diego, CA
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 24 August 2017 - 03:22 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 22 August 2017 - 03:59 PM, said:

Once you have status to go to the World Championships there is zero reason to play in local tours.  It doesn't matter the age or the reason.  There are a lot of good players out there and you should move on to allow them to have a shot at qualifying.  Furthermore, you have said it yourself that the distance of the US Kids Locals are too short.  He should move on to bigger and better tournaments, US Kids Locals are the bottom of the barrel in terms of competing.

I sooo wish more parents had this attitude.  We have an incredible player locally that always plays the local tour, and always wins.  Makes it nearly impossible for others to get any status through the locals.  He'll show up to regionals and win there as well making it that much harder for other kids to get any status.  He finished 2nd this year at worlds, so clearly doesn't need to play locals, but sure enough signed up again for this fall.  No offense to the parent or the kid, as they're great people to hang out with, but sure would be nice if they skipped a few tournaments or played elsewhere once in a while.

Edited by MikekiM, 24 August 2017 - 03:23 PM.

Taylor Made R15
Ping G25
Taylor Made Jetspeed Hybrid
Titleist T-MB
Titleist 716 CB
Titleist Vokey SM6
Scotty Cameron Newport
K-Sig Ball

28

#29 leezer99

leezer99

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
  • Joined: 09/10/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 153

Posted 24 August 2017 - 03:22 PM

View Posttiger1873, on 24 August 2017 - 02:25 PM, said:

View Postdarter79, on 24 August 2017 - 11:30 AM, said:

I think I know of the kid you are referring to. That kid has no business playing at US Kids events and with her age plenty of better options.

The trophy kids are big problem around here. That particular kid is a big reason we played at a higher level then them a little earlier then we should have.  They also do very slow rounds. It got so bad here they had to give 12 year girls and under carts because the rounds were going 7 or 8 hours.  The problem is there behind some boys now who take 7 hours to complete a round.  Some these kids take 10 minutes a shot with there dads coaching.  Not sure if it's like this in Florida or California but everyone here thinks they can be the next Jordan Speith.

We have a couple trophy kids in our LA tour (7 year olds) but it's not too bad since we have so many other options.  As for the long rounds I'd have a rules official out there asap... if our nine hole rounds take more than 2.5 hours I'm losing my mind.

29

#30 tiger1873

tiger1873

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
  • Joined: 09/20/2014
  • Location:United States
GolfWRX Likes : 87

Posted 24 August 2017 - 03:38 PM

View Postleezer99, on 24 August 2017 - 03:22 PM, said:

We have a couple trophy kids in our LA tour (7 year olds) but it's not too bad since we have so many other options.  As for the long rounds I'd have a rules official out there asap... if our nine hole rounds take more than 2.5 hours I'm losing my mind.

Plenty have and is the reason we now have carts to drive the kids around. I wish they made the course shorter then the 5600 yards average for 11-12 girls instead of just giving them carts.   I don't like the long tournaments but it pretty norm around here to have tournaments that last a long time. The kids without the caddies are much faster. It's a big reason I want my daughter to move up as soon as she can since they play from the same tee's.

Edited by tiger1873, 24 August 2017 - 03:38 PM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors