Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Starting a local tour

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 darter79

darter79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 21 August 2017 - 09:21 AM

Has anyone here ever been a tour director? Or have any information on what it takes and costs to start one? Gotta call out to US Kids and they are sending me information but they were quite vague on some of it.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 leezer99

leezer99

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 94

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:29 AM

I'd start by reaching out to other US Kids Tournament Directors in similar markets as yours.  No sense in reaching out to an LA or Miami tournament director if you only expect to have 20 kids playing each week.

http://www.uskidsgol.../tour-directors

#3 kekoa

kekoa

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,345 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1298

Posted 21 August 2017 - 11:46 AM

My hats off to tour directors.  Its a very tough job at most tours with very little compensation.  They deal with a lot of complaining parents and few courses who are willing to support the program.

#4 darter79

darter79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 21 August 2017 - 12:40 PM

From what I've learned today seems like most courses only get $10-$20 per kid. Not a ton considering here in Ausitn we are playing at a lot of country clubs. The main reason I'm asking is because we might now have a fall tour due to some drama. Or at least thats the information coming from our current tour director.

#5 Pinewood Golfer

Pinewood Golfer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 471630
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 21 August 2017 - 01:04 PM

View Postdarter79, on 21 August 2017 - 09:21 AM, said:

Has anyone here ever been a tour director? Or have any information on what it takes and costs to start one? Gotta call out to US Kids and they are sending me information but they were quite vague on some of it.
It doesn't cost anything to start one. US Kids prefer PGA Professionals as TD's, but I'm sure someone that could illustrate their ability to run a tour would be ok without the designation.

It takes a lot of time on the TD's behalf, so it's difficult to get a full time PGA Pro to do it. Best odds are directors of instruction that don't have shop duties. Independent instructors as well.

There is compensation for the TD's although it isn't really enough to be "a job".

You'll need to be able to illustrate the interest and, to a degree, the skill level in your area. We did this by showing participation in PGA Jr Leagues, local Jr tournaments and the number of older, higher calibers juniors that had come from our area.

We had the teaching instructor at one of our cities nicest clubs agree to be TD. He had the support of the Junior Golf Association President at our areas largest club. From there, they were able to put together a schedule at nice courses--which is tough b/c the club's get paid very little, had great representatives to get the word out and lots of excitement.

We just finished our 5th event of our first tour and have had 41, 38, 48, 66 and 68 participants. It's kicking a**. US Kids wants you to be able to average no less than 30/35 players per event.

Edited by Pinewood Golfer, 21 August 2017 - 02:24 PM.

#6 Belmont148

Belmont148

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 474430
  • Handicap:16.5
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 21 August 2017 - 01:06 PM

From what I understand you don't have to be a PGA Pro or even associated with any Golf organization to be one. Kind of like anyone can run a Boy Scout troop. I was a bit disappointed to find out our tour isn't run by a pro, and US Kids actually lied to our local pro when asked if he could start one and then gave it to a US kids players parents to run.
Cobra F7+ Driver 9.5 Fujikura XLR8 stiff
Epic SZ 13.5 HZRDUS T800 65 stiff
King Utility 2/3i- 19* CTL R flex
Cobra Fly Z 4 hyb. 22* Aldila Rogue 85H R flex
Cobra King Forged TEC 5-GW CTL R flex
MD2 Tour 54* and 58* CTL R flex
Odyssey Versa V Line

#7 tiger1873

tiger1873

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 57

Posted 21 August 2017 - 01:57 PM

View PostBelmont148, on 21 August 2017 - 01:06 PM, said:

From what I understand you don't have to be a PGA Pro or even associated with any Golf organization to be one. Kind of like anyone can run a Boy Scout troop. I was a bit disappointed to find out our tour isn't run by a pro, and US Kids actually lied to our local pro when asked if he could start one and then gave it to a US kids players parents to run.

This why you hear so many different opinions about tours like US Kids. When you add in all the other tours it can be pretty daunting to most juniors. The best tournaments always have lots of competition and will attract lots of talent.   It's why you should not get too serious about winning tour points at a young age.  

I don't see anything wrong with anyone being able to start a tour. This is no different then peewee football. Kids need to be able to play tournaments to learn.

#8 Belmont148

Belmont148

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 474430
  • Handicap:16.5
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 21 August 2017 - 02:23 PM

I agree, I don't see anything wrong with it. I think it is a great platform for kids to play, I just don't see the big deal of going to USK Worlds and placing 95th, or spending tons of money chasing tour points to get there. We finally got one locally in our city, and we may play 2-3. Will jump to the SCJGA events as soon as we can. For what it's worth, in our town the girls and boys that end up playing at HS and make it to State championships, I never see them playing USK at 10-13. They are out playing against older kids at AJGA and JGA events around the state.
Cobra F7+ Driver 9.5 Fujikura XLR8 stiff
Epic SZ 13.5 HZRDUS T800 65 stiff
King Utility 2/3i- 19* CTL R flex
Cobra Fly Z 4 hyb. 22* Aldila Rogue 85H R flex
Cobra King Forged TEC 5-GW CTL R flex
MD2 Tour 54* and 58* CTL R flex
Odyssey Versa V Line

#9 RangerV

RangerV

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 408510
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 21 August 2017 - 03:23 PM

Setting up a local tour is very easy if the main goal is to get kids playing and having fun. Ask around at local courses/businesses and many of them are willing to sponsor or donate. Make the events friendly and fun and it will grow. Ours went from 15/tourney to 50/tourney within 1.5 years just from kids trying it and convincing their friends to come with next time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors