Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

GPS Accuracy?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cristphoto

cristphoto

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,798 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42981
GolfWRX Likes : 508

Posted 21 August 2017 - 09:17 AM

Have the latest gps devices increased in accuracy (compared to gps from several years ago)?  Or are they simply dependent on satellites and weather conditions? I'm asking about gps watches and not a phone app. Thanks.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 redrover69

redrover69

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 471454
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 21 August 2017 - 09:27 AM

No idea how they work...

Ive been using a garmin g8 and I have played with guys using a leupold and bushnell.

My yardages on the g8 are within a few yards typically of the rangefinder and I dont have to aim and shoot or shoot and aim.

#3 kiwihacker

kiwihacker

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 284152
GolfWRX Likes : 204

Posted 21 August 2017 - 03:14 PM

View Postredrover69, on 21 August 2017 - 09:27 AM, said:

No idea how they work...

Ive been using a garmin g8 and I have played with guys using a leupold and bushnell.

My yardages on the g8 are within a few yards typically of the rangefinder and I dont have to aim and shoot or shoot and aim.

Me too!

I have a Garmin G6 and Bushnell V2 and find the GPS very accurate when I check it versus the laser.
Cobra King F6 Driver
15° Cleveland Launcher 3 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Taylormade R7 TP 4-PW irons
Cleveland CBX 2.0 50° & CG15 56° wedges
Yes Tracy putter

#4 RighttoLeft

RighttoLeft

GolfWRX Contrarian

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5556
GolfWRX Likes : 455

Posted 21 August 2017 - 06:29 PM

I have the Neo XS and Tour V4.

I have on several occasions, stood on the 200, 150, and 100 markers and got distance with GPS (to check the accuracy of the markers.) Once on the green, I have stood in the middle and shot the 150 marker (to check the GPS.)

Most of the time (>80%) the GPS is within 2-4 yards of the laser (at 150 yards.) A few occasions have seen it in the 6-8 yard difference.

GPS is plenty accurate for day to day play, and it's not that GPS isn't accurate. It's that all companies(unless something has changed), with the exception of SkyCaddy, use google Earth or maps to map the course. Exactly how accurate this can be is debatable.
Callaway GBB 10.5° (turned down to 9.5°) with Diamana D+ 70 stiff
Callaway GBB 3 and 5 woods with Diamana S+ 70 stiff
Callaway XR Pro 4-GW with KBS Tour V stiff
Callaway MD2 Tour Grind (Tour Chrome) 56° and 60°
Odyssey TriForce 3
Titleist Pro V1X

#5 ZA206

ZA206

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 326991
  • Handicap:4.8
  • Ebay ID:ZA206
GolfWRX Likes : 191

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:55 PM

I use a golfbuddy gps and it tells front back and center. If I can see where the flag is on the green, I can deduce the number to the pin within 1-2 yards of a laser almost every time. The only time this doesn't work is when I play on a course that's recently had rebuilt/changed greens. Happened recently and was totally screwing me up the whole round.... lol

TM 2017 M2 460 9.5 with Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX
TM 2016 M1 15  3W with Speeder 757 TS Evo X
TM RBZ2 Tour 18.5 3H  & Tour 22.5 4H with Matrix Red Tie X
716 TMB (4-6) with AMT X100's
716 CB (7-PW) with AMT X100's
52F & 56S SM6 with AMT X100's
Evnroll ER3 Wingback 34"

#6 larrybud

larrybud

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,078 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21167
  • Handicap:2.0
GolfWRX Likes : 3563

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:18 PM

Consumer gps is +/- 3 yards at best.  So if it says 100, you can only be sure it's between 97-103.

Doesn't matter if it's a dedicated gps or your phone.  In fact, I used to use skydroid and it has a feature which would tell you its current tolerance.

Also note that gps is only as good as the mapping.

#7 sui generis

sui generis

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132389
GolfWRX Likes : 1700

Posted 21 August 2017 - 09:09 PM

Bushnell, and perhaps others, use GPS augmented by WAAS. WAAS uses an extra time signal to enhance accuracy. WAAS GPS is usually + or - 1.9 meters.

Bushnell, through a vendor, iGolf, usually maps their courses via aerial/satellite imagery. My home course in Asheville recently underwent a major renovation which is not yet reflected on Google Earth. Eventually, iGolf sent me access to their alternate mapping technology. In one afternoon, I mapped the course using my mobile phone. I sent the data to iGolf who sat on it for a couple of days and then released it to the general public. (My conversations with iGolf, both by email and telephone, convinced me that they had their act together.)

Now when I play, I know the data from my $50 Bushnell Neo is good!
Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.

#8 cristphoto

cristphoto

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,798 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42981
GolfWRX Likes : 508

Posted 21 August 2017 - 09:45 PM

View Postsui generis, on 21 August 2017 - 09:09 PM, said:

Bushnell, and perhaps others, use GPS augmented by WAAS. WAAS uses an extra time signal to enhance accuracy. WAAS GPS is usually + or - 1.9 meters.

Bushnell, through a vendor, iGolf, usually maps their courses via aerial/satellite imagery. My home course in Asheville recently underwent a major renovation which is not yet reflected on Google Earth. Eventually, iGolf sent me access to their alternate mapping technology. In one afternoon, I mapped the course using my mobile phone. I sent the data to iGolf who sat on it for a couple of days and then released it to the general public. (My conversations with iGolf, both by email and telephone, convinced me that they had their act together.)

That's good to hear as I just got a Bushnell Excel watch. It seems to be accurate when compared to my Bushnell V4 laser. I updated a few of the courses in my rotation and each update took less than 30 seconds. A neat feature included is a swing speed monitor. Works for each club and I can see how my speed changes from first to last hole.

#9 larrybud

larrybud

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,078 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21167
  • Handicap:2.0
GolfWRX Likes : 3563

Posted 22 August 2017 - 12:49 PM

Waas is 2-3 meters.

http://www.benmeadow...cy_waas_300.pdf

#10 sui generis

sui generis

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132389
GolfWRX Likes : 1700

Posted 22 August 2017 - 02:31 PM

View Postlarrybud, on 22 August 2017 - 12:49 PM, said:

Waas is 2-3 meters.

http://www.benmeadow...cy_waas_300.pdf

Achieved results are better than that. :)

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 ThinkingPlus

ThinkingPlus

Advanced

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 449758
  • Handicap:0.2
GolfWRX Likes : 372

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:19 AM

SEP (Spherical Error Probability) is ~10 m for standard, non-locally augmented GPS.  Most of that error is in the elevation axis.  The previously mentioned values for the the horizontal axes under local augmented conditions of 2 - 3 meters is reasonable although signal strength (weather impacts, geographical impacts, etc...) at the course location may make accuracy better or worse.
Driver: Callaway Epic GBB 9° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
3W: Callaway XR w/Project X 5.5 Graphite R-flex
Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
Irons: Callaway Apex 5i - AW w/UST Recoil 680 F4
Sand Wedge: Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/11 2 Dot w/UST Recoil 780 F4
Lob Wedge: Cleveland 588 RTX CB 58/14 2 Dot w/True Temper XP-95 R-flex
Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Mid Slim 2.0
Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft or Srixon Z-star both in yellow

#12 North Butte

North Butte

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,015 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
  • Handicap:9.9
GolfWRX Likes : 3079

Posted 23 August 2017 - 12:53 PM

Alls I know is, with every GPS I've ever tried I can stand still in one place and it will occasionally show a yardage, the change its mind by 4, 5 or occasionally even 6-8 yards then a minute later change to some third number which doesn't agree with the first or second yardage.

I ain't moving and I'm pretty sure the center of the green ain't moving. So all three of those numbers can't be accurate.
A sensible man will realize that the eyes may be confused in two ways---by a change from light to darkness or from darkness to light; and he will recognize the same thing happens to the soul.

--Plato

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors