Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

perception is a funny thing


  • Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 golfnut1964

golfnut1964

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 342317
  • Joined: 09/28/2014
  • Location:canada eh
GolfWRX Likes : 260

Posted 20 August 2017 - 08:22 PM

If you drive a classic muscle car or collectible automobile you are perceived as successful or established.
If you drive a classic persimmon wood or vintage iron, you are perceived as "different" (to put it nicely).

If you drive that classic car alone you are perceived as being cool.
If you drive that classic persimmon alone you are perceived as being weird.

I get the damnest looks (even comments from friends in our group when I play with others)
on the course when i'm playing with my vintage gear, walking alone with a Sunday bag.

Yup, perception is a funny thing...


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 jslane57

jslane57

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 426950
  • Joined: 05/27/2016
  • Handicap:<5
GolfWRX Likes : 1950

Posted 20 August 2017 - 08:48 PM

I guess that is because old muscle cars get to the speed limit just fine? LOL.

I will admit, after seeing some friends walk away unhurt from some scary looking crashes in newer cars, I don't look at old cars like that at all anymore. Instead I think, "wow, cool car. Sure wouldn't want to drive that over my 2016 [insert any car here]. Same is true with old clubs. I see classic old clubs and think, "wow, cool clubs. Sure wouldn't want to have to clear the water on [insert hole with water carry here] with those clubs.

If you drive a classic car to the golf course and play golf with classic golf clubs, you may just very well be my hero though. A guy in my golf league rides a motorcycle to the golf course. His double strap golf bag on his shoulders. Amazing, but nope...
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" -Einstein

2

#3 ProgMetaller

ProgMetaller

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115713
  • Joined: 10/03/2010
  • Location:Massillon, OH
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 20 August 2017 - 10:33 PM

Different? Check.
Weird? Yep.
Proud of it? Absolutely!

Most people don't and/or won't understand. It's fine with me though. Of course, not everyone will be judgemental.

I've had a few older gentlemen want to check out my hickory putter on the practice green. They'll usually tell me about the one they have at home. We'll talk about the old clubs for a few minutes before they go tee off. Love stuff like that.

I've joined up with a group of retired gentlemen a few weeks back and they didn't consider me weird or anything, just wondered how I went about putting my set of hickories together.

Had another guy come over to me on the course to talk about the hickories. How they were to hit,, etc...

Then, there's this one guy at my home course, who at various times has offered me a bag. I guess that my little, old tartan bag looks shabby or something. Let him know that had at least seven more at home. I just liked this one the best. Plus, it's perfect for carrying a short set. He's also offered a set of new clubs to me. I must need them since I don't carry a full set and they're old! Told him that I already have a couple of sets of modern clubs, I just prefer the old ones and I have more than enough of them. According to my girlfriend and daughter, at least. He's a nice enough guy. He'll come out to talk with me if he sees me on the practice green. He does probably think I'm a bit weird though.

3

#4 BIG STU

BIG STU

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,834 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 284204
  • Joined: 11/14/2013
  • Location:Garden City Beach SC
  • Handicap:5.0
GolfWRX Likes : 21200

Posted 21 August 2017 - 03:41 PM

LOL actually ROTFLMAO!  Ask some of the guys around my home club (Indian Wells In Garden City SC) and they will tell you frankly they think I have a screw loose.

Some of them are curious as to what I may have in a strange bag that week on the range and wander over to look. One guy even went as far as to say and tell others I had a screw loose because I have newer clubs (2013 Callys and 2012 Infinity TS 10 prototypes) but would rather play old wood woods and rusty antique irons. Of course he did not tell the part about I shot a 74 as a subsitute in league play from the yellow  ( senior ) tees with a set of 3800 Armour irons Penna driver and a M-85 Mac 3 wood. I think I was putting with my Cleveland 8802 designed by putter. Smoked his butt!!

I wear it like a badge of honor---- I had some of my few hickories out the other day and offered this same blowhard a match and he declined.

Hey I march to the beat of my own drummer and love it
Driver: Titleist 915 D-2 Mitsubishi Diamana 65 R
3 Wood Adams Super S 15* Bassara Regular flex
Hybrid - TM Rescue Mid 19* Pro Launch Blue
Hybrid- TM Rescue Mid 22* Stock TM Tip Stiff
Irons -- 5 thru PW 2013 Callaway Forged X Rifle 5.5 PXI
GW Vokey 252 series 52* S-400
SW Cleveland 588 56* DG Sensicore S
LW Cleveland 588 60* DG Sensicore S
Putter - Scotty Santa Fe 1997 vintage rusty as heck nicknamed "Rusty"
Bag Old School 2008 Titleist Mini Staff

Founding Father of the Outlaw Golf Association Member #1 To heck with the USGA
Redneck Hippie Golf-- When the tailgate drops the BS stops

4

#5 baloo

baloo

    A Person

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140341
  • Joined: 09/28/2011
  • Location:Wisconsin
  • Handicap:2.7
  • Ebay ID:k2baloo
GolfWRX Likes : 424

Posted 21 August 2017 - 03:45 PM

Just roll with it and embrace it. Sanity is statistical to many, making us a bunch of crazies.
I don't get too much flak for it, just some questions and general curiosity.

Edited by baloo, 28 August 2017 - 03:04 PM.

Driver - Mac Jimmy Demaret, Apex 5 Shaft
2 Wood - Mac Jimmy Deraret, TT Dynamic Stiff
2-PW, SW - 54' Top Flite Syncho Dyned
GW - 61' Dynapower
Putter - Northwestern 1200

5

#6 ebk

ebk

    Old and Broken Down

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 274593
  • Joined: 09/04/2013
  • Location:SoCal
GolfWRX Likes : 611

Posted 21 August 2017 - 04:13 PM

View Postgolfnut1964, on 20 August 2017 - 08:22 PM, said:

If you drive a classic muscle car or collectible automobile you are perceived as successful or established.
If you drive a classic persimmon wood or vintage iron, you are perceived as "different" (to put it nicely).

If you drive that classic car alone you are perceived as being cool.
If you drive that classic persimmon alone you are perceived as being weird.

I get the damnest looks (even comments from friends in our group when I play with others)
on the course when i'm playing with my vintage gear, walking alone with a Sunday bag.

Yup, perception is a funny thing...

If your avatar is any indication, maybe you get the funny looks because your clubs face the wrong way?

J/k, enjoy!  Who cares what the others think?

6

#7 golfnut1964

golfnut1964

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 342317
  • Joined: 09/28/2014
  • Location:canada eh
GolfWRX Likes : 260

Posted 21 August 2017 - 04:26 PM

EBK very perceptive-that is my stick and I never thought thats why !
Now I def am at peace.

7

#8 Uncle T

Uncle T

    Double Bogey Tour Professional

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 408574
  • Joined: 01/12/2016
  • Location:Bismarck, ND. USA
  • Handicap:?
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 21 August 2017 - 06:16 PM

I get that look from others when I show up to play 9 with my old Sam Snead set. Or my Spaldings. I love vintage golf. Back then there was no Game Improvement Irons or Driver. There was just blades and Persimmons.
Adams Speedline VST 10.5 - Project X HZRDUS 5.5
Adams Fast 12 3w - UST Pro Force 65 gold Rflex  
Adams Titanium 5w - Motore F1 Rflex
Adams Pro Hybrid 22 - Aldila Tour Rflex
Adams Pro Hybrid 24 - Aldila Tour Rflex
Adams Tight Lies Plus 6 - pw - Rflex
Adams Tom Watson Professional Grind, 52, 56, 60
Adams Tight Lies Putter, Yes Ann Putter

Irons are 1 1/2 over standard, Wedges are 1 1/4 over standard, Both Putters are 37.

8

#9 Ironmaster Oddities

Ironmaster Oddities

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116695
  • Joined: 10/26/2010
  • Location:The Heartland
  • Ebay ID:elkhartmarbles
GolfWRX Likes : 585

Posted 23 August 2017 - 03:14 PM

View PostProgMetaller, on 20 August 2017 - 10:33 PM, said:

Different? Check.
Weird? Yep.
Proud of it? Absolutely!

Most people don't and/or won't understand. It's fine with me though. Of course, not everyone will be judgemental.

I've had a few older gentlemen want to check out my hickory putter on the practice green. They'll usually tell me about the one they have at home. We'll talk about the old clubs for a few minutes before they go tee off. Love stuff like that.

I've joined up with a group of retired gentlemen a few weeks back and they didn't consider me weird or anything, just wondered how I went about putting my set of hickories together.

Had another guy come over to me on the course to talk about the hickories. How they were to hit,, etc...

Then, there's this one guy at my home course, who at various times has offered me a bag. I guess that my little, old tartan bag looks shabby or something. Let him know that had at least seven more at home. I just liked this one the best. Plus, it's perfect for carrying a short set. He's also offered a set of new clubs to me. I must need them since I don't carry a full set and they're old! Told him that I already have a couple of sets of modern clubs, I just prefer the old ones and I have more than enough of them. According to my girlfriend and daughter, at least. He's a nice enough guy. He'll come out to talk with me if he sees me on the practice green. He does probably think I'm a bit weird though.

Massilon Ohio?  Probably thinks you had your  bell rung too many times as a young man  playing that tough eastern Ohio football.

9

#10 ProgMetaller

ProgMetaller

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115713
  • Joined: 10/03/2010
  • Location:Massillon, OH
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:01 PM

View PostIronmaster Oddities, on 23 August 2017 - 03:14 PM, said:





Massilon Ohio?  Probably thinks you had your  bell rung too many times as a young man  playing that tough eastern Ohio football.

Ha! Very possible. They do love their high school football in these parts, and it starts up this week. I am from the area but only moved to Massillon a few years ago. Though, my alma mater has won the last two Division 3 state titles with a QB that transferred from...Massillon.

To be honest, my weirdness doesn't come from getting my bell rung playing football. I was a baseball player. My sophomore year of high school. New school for me and my mom goes to a parent-teacher thing they had early in the year. The next day before math class starts, my teacher (also the head football coach) tells me that my mother told him that I'd be the tight end for the team next year. I just laughed and said that he obviously didn't talk to my mom.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 rwc356

rwc356

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29907
  • Joined: 05/27/2007
  • Location:Chicago, Illinois
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 29 August 2017 - 03:50 PM

I've gotten where I enjoy showing up as a single with my hickories and a carry bag. Especially if i am added to a group of hi-tech golfers. I tend to have a fairly straight ball flight and it's a lot of fun to have my ball in the fairway while we are scannng the rough for theirs.

11

#12 agoose10

agoose10

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 171488
  • Joined: 03/27/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:40 PM

I think there is something to be said for you sticking with what works! You've spent much less on the sport than all of us.

12

#13 Wriggles

Wriggles

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 212649
  • Joined: 11/23/2012
  • Location:Pittsburgh, PA
GolfWRX Likes : 3489

Posted 10 September 2017 - 09:23 AM

I've been driving old cars and old golf clubs most of my life.  I've bored to death the guys in the clubhouse grille about my 1976 Dodge Royal Monaco hardtop.  I bought that car new 41 years ago.  A twenty three year old buying an old man's Dodge.  Weird in everyone's book.

Anyhow, the car isn't as nice as it used to be, and is quite valueless.  You'd be surprised at how many compliments I still receive on it, though.  I've had other old borderline classic cars in fine condition, that haven't got anywhere the attention the old Dodge does.

As far as classic clubs, I get the usual, "Gee, imagine how well you'd play with modern."  Yeah, sure.

Attached Files



13

#14 dcopp7

dcopp7

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 428384
  • Joined: 06/08/2016
  • Location:Bay City, MI
  • Ebay ID:dcopp7
GolfWRX Likes : 217

Posted 10 September 2017 - 12:49 PM

If I lived somewhere without winters full of snow I drive an old bucket like that too.  Simplicity rules
Ping K15 9* driver

Cleveland Launcher 3W 15*

Orlimar Trimetal 16*+ fairway

Synchron Vespa 19* hybrid

unknown brand 24* hybrid

Dynacraft Prophet CB flexface 6i-PW

Acer XB 52* & 58* wedges

TM Mills putter

14

#15 golfnut1964

golfnut1964

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 342317
  • Joined: 09/28/2014
  • Location:canada eh
GolfWRX Likes : 260

Posted 10 September 2017 - 03:34 PM

That is a sweet set of wheels Wriggles even sweeter that you have owned it new !
A man who knows his own likes and holds true...awesome.


15

#16 oldschoolrocker

oldschoolrocker

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,492 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126943
  • Joined: 04/18/2011
  • Location:James Island SC
GolfWRX Likes : 3592

Posted 10 September 2017 - 05:01 PM

dc,
  I have to ask, How on earth did a 'Nole wind up in snow territory?

16

#17 TimV

TimV

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38964
  • Joined: 09/07/2007
  • Location:Margate, Florida
  • Handicap:yes
  • Ebay ID:viceman-1
GolfWRX Likes : 998

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:59 PM

I guess I'm kind of lucky then because the guys that work the courses where I play my vintage clubs seem to think it's very cool. I do get some questions sometimes from guys that don't know me that get paired with me though. All good though. I just hope to be playing solidly when paired with someone new so that I have a chance to make a good impression of Vintage Play with them.
Vintage: 60 Wilson Staff 2-PW w/t Custom Stan Thompson Persimmon Woods (2, 3, & 4,) and early Acushnet Bullseye Brass Putter
Vintage Walking Set: 65 Palmer Tru-Matics: 2, 4, 6, 8, PW, SW w/t Cleveland Classic 485 Persimmon Driver and Ginty Laminate 4 Wood, First Flight Green Master Putter - Nassau Bag in a ClubLine Walking Cart
Classic: 75 Wilson Staff  2- 9I, Wilson Light X1 PW, Lynx NiCr SW, Power/Bilt Laminate Driver, 3 & 4 Woods, Wilson Augusta Putter
Modern Classic: Mizuno Grad MP 2 Iron, 85 Mizuno Cimarron 3-PW Blades & Mizuno RSF 90 BeCu w/t various Persimmons, Laminates, & Metal woods from the 80's and early 90's, Chico's Tomahawk or Bobby Grace "The Fat Lady Swings" pat/pen Putter
Modern: 07 Ping G10 (YD) Draw Driver & 4 Wood, 3 & 4 Hybrid, 5-SW w/t Ping Anser Putter

Founding Father of the Jolly Roger Golf Association Member #1 (and only.)
You can join but you have to get the tattoo
;)
Spank the Persimmon or Walk the Plank!

17

#18 Tim Schoch

Tim Schoch

    Swing like it already happened.

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 432 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49536
  • Joined: 02/22/2008
  • Location:Troy, VA
  • Handicap:14
  • Ebay ID:DejaGolf
GolfWRX Likes : 137

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:13 PM

Perception is a funny thing. We have a saying in the marketing biz:  "Perception is truth."  No matter the real truth, what matters is what people have come to believe is the truth. That is their truth.

So they see a golfer with a plaid bag and wood clubs. Weirdo. Where's your Woody parked?  

So I'm no scratch golfer, but I have the integrity of one. I play Hogan Apex Edge irons from 2001. Old, but they look shiny and new.  I normally shoot 84-86 on average.  So I decide to go old school with 1984 Ping Eye 2 V-groove irons and blonde Ping woods.  The looks I got -- by those few who even knew what they were looking at -- were rather shocking. Why would they even care? I tried not to let it get to me, but I love vintage clubs (within my ability to play) and I was getting rather upset....until I shoot an 80.

After the round, what I am hearing are tones and hints that I am somehow a cheater by using "outdated" and "nonconforming" clubs. Wrong.  These Ping V-grooves are and always have been conforming. Plus, the lofts are far weaker than today's garish Vegas table rakes those guys were flailing and out-distancing me all day.

Regardless.  Be eccentric.  Educate those who will listen, beat all who won't.
WIMB
TaylorMade Burner driver 10.5* REAX Reg
TaylorMade Burner 3-wood 15* REAX Reg
TaylorMade Burner 5-wood 18* REAX Reg
Adams Idea A12 #4 Hybrid 21* VTS Proforce
Hogan Apex Edge 4-E, SW, LW, Apex Edge 3 Graphite
Ping Pal 4 BeCu putter

SPECIAL ROUNDS
Various persimmon Driver, 3-wood, 5-wood combos
4-SW Ping Eye2 BeCu
Ping BeCu Anser Scottsdale putter

18

#19 Wriggles

Wriggles

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 212649
  • Joined: 11/23/2012
  • Location:Pittsburgh, PA
GolfWRX Likes : 3489

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:47 AM

View PostTim Schoch, on 13 September 2017 - 09:13 PM, said:

Perception is a funny thing. We have a saying in the marketing biz:  "Perception is truth."  No matter the real truth, what matters is what people have come to believe is the truth. That is their truth.

So they see a golfer with a plaid bag and wood clubs. Weirdo. Where's your Woody parked?  

So I'm no scratch golfer, but I have the integrity of one. I play Hogan Apex Edge irons from 2001. Old, but they look shiny and new.  I normally shoot 84-86 on average.  So I decide to go old school with 1984 Ping Eye 2 V-groove irons and blonde Ping woods.  The looks I got -- by those few who even knew what they were looking at -- were rather shocking. Why would they even care? I tried not to let it get to me, but I love vintage clubs (within my ability to play) and I was getting rather upset....until I shoot an 80.

After the round, what I am hearing are tones and hints that I am somehow a cheater by using "outdated" and "nonconforming" clubs. Wrong.  These Ping V-grooves are and always have been conforming. Plus, the lofts are far weaker than today's garish Vegas table rakes those guys were flailing and out-distancing me all day.

Regardless.  Be eccentric.  Educate those who will listen, beat all who won't.

I play clubs from the hickory to relatively modern.  I have told guys if I want to play golf with a couple of tree limbs, I will do so.  The last few years, I've been playing mostly solo.  Aside from a couple old (80's+) pals, I haven't played with others for several years.

You need new friends if they hint that you are a cheater with your old clubs.

Enjoy your game as you want to.

19

#20 oldschoolrocker

oldschoolrocker

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,492 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126943
  • Joined: 04/18/2011
  • Location:James Island SC
GolfWRX Likes : 3592

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:58 AM

View PostWriggles, on 14 September 2017 - 04:47 AM, said:

View PostTim Schoch, on 13 September 2017 - 09:13 PM, said:

Perception is a funny thing. We have a saying in the marketing biz:  "Perception is truth."  No matter the real truth, what matters is what people have come to believe is the truth. That is their truth.

So they see a golfer with a plaid bag and wood clubs. Weirdo. Where's your Woody parked?  

So I'm no scratch golfer, but I have the integrity of one. I play Hogan Apex Edge irons from 2001. Old, but they look shiny and new.  I normally shoot 84-86 on average.  So I decide to go old school with 1984 Ping Eye 2 V-groove irons and blonde Ping woods.  The looks I got -- by those few who even knew what they were looking at -- were rather shocking. Why would they even care? I tried not to let it get to me, but I love vintage clubs (within my ability to play) and I was getting rather upset....until I shoot an 80.

After the round, what I am hearing are tones and hints that I am somehow a cheater by using "outdated" and "nonconforming" clubs. Wrong.  These Ping V-grooves are and always have been conforming. Plus, the lofts are far weaker than today's garish Vegas table rakes those guys were flailing and out-distancing me all day.

Regardless.  Be eccentric.  Educate those who will listen, beat all who won't.

I play clubs from the hickory to relatively modern.  I have told guys if I want to play golf with a couple of tree limbs, I will do so.  The last few years, I've been playing mostly solo.  Aside from a couple old (80's+) pals, I haven't played with others for several years.

You need new friends if they hint that you are a cheater with your old clubs.

Enjoy your game as you want to.

Had an incident earlier this season where a group of participants in the traveling seniors group I belong to raised issues with regard to the conformity of my classic clubs.  They are no longer in my circle of friendship, or, the traveling senior group.  The majority of the group found their arguments simply ludicrous.

Edited by oldschoolrocker, 14 September 2017 - 05:02 AM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 Fellaheen51

Fellaheen51

    Go Green!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 284154
  • Joined: 11/14/2013
  • Location:Michigan
GolfWRX Likes : 9379

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:45 AM

Perception?  Can count on one hand (minus a couple of digits) the times someone made comment on the constantly changing classic WITB.  Then only to remark that they hadn't seen those clubs in a long time.  Both with older gentlemen that I joined up with during a leisurely solo round.  Had persimmons in the bag for one, even let him take a few swats off the tee with the D.  His comment was "its been a long time since I hit one of those", smiling as he handed the club back to me.  

My circle of golfing buds could care less what the WITB is on any given day.  All we are trying to do is best each other (very friendly competition).  Their general sentiment is if I want to make it more difficult, "knock yourself out".  (Although I typically play classic wood during solo rounds.)

My dime.  I'll play whatever I choose to play.  TYVM.  Anyone that wants to make it their bidness as to the implements chosen, can stick it.  You are of no consequence in my golfing realm.  

Have a zero tolerance level for the pretentious "stuffed shirts" that one bumps into occasionally whilst engaging in this wonderful recreational pastime.

Edited by Fellaheen51, 14 September 2017 - 05:45 AM.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

21

#22 bigjohntripod

bigjohntripod

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 445466
  • Joined: 11/02/2016
  • Location:Houston, Texas
  • Handicap:400
GolfWRX Likes : 125

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:56 AM

I've only played one round with a guy who used vintage wood shaft gear. At the Old Course in 2005.

I get to the tee box and couldn't believe this was about to go down, how cool was this guy at the home of golf with wood shafts? Legendary. He shot, if I remember correctly, a 72, even par. One of the coolest experiences of my life golf wise, that was fun to watch. Wore the vintage threads too.

I think he was a head pro in the states?
Taylormade - Driver M2
Taylormade - 3W M2
Taylormade - M2 L.I.F.T 2i
Taylormade - P770 3 - PW
Taylormade - 50* - 56* - 60*
Scotty Cameron 6M

22

#23 scomac2002

scomac2002

    Inside the Starters' Hut

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,356 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109841
  • Joined: 06/22/2010
  • Location:The Great White North
GolfWRX Likes : 7258

Posted 14 September 2017 - 06:36 AM

There are 29 guys in my twice-a-week men`s league group.  Routinely about half show up on any given day.  On occasion we will get a turnout of 20 or better.  The first couple of times I showed up with vintage kit there was a bit of good-natured ribbing going on, mostly regarding my choice of woods and lack of a 400+cc titanium driver.  

Don't you have something bigger?

Those things would be best left in the basement!

Don't you use a driver?

Sandbaggers!  :glare:

Because the group is older, there are lots of old non-conforming clubs in play.  One guy putts with a long putter and an anchored stroke.  No one really cares even though there is a small wager on the line.  The handicap system will sort it out.  After all, we`re all just out to have a good time.  No one is that good for it to really matter anyway.

I love it when someone shows up playing vintage kit, especially with the lumber is in tow.  It takes a lot of courage.  But when you have one of those days when everything clicks and you're striping the ball.  That look of amazement on the faces of your playing companions that you can hit those things that well is all the reward you need. :golfer:
Your problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent!

OGA miembro número catorce


MODERNS
TM R7 425  11.5°
Sonartec NP-99  19°
Nickent 3DX  23°/26°
Hogan Apex Plus 6-E
Hogan Special K Grind 51°/56°
TM Rossa Tourismo 3

CLASSICS
Woods:  PowerBilt Citation
Irons:  Golden Ram Axial Tour Grind Frequency Matched
Wedges:  RAM Tom Watson Scoring System
Putter:  Ping Zing Mn Brz

23

#24 Tim Schoch

Tim Schoch

    Swing like it already happened.

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 432 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49536
  • Joined: 02/22/2008
  • Location:Troy, VA
  • Handicap:14
  • Ebay ID:DejaGolf
GolfWRX Likes : 137

Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:07 AM

PS:  No one I mentioned above was malicious or aggressive. After all, they were all 90s shooters. But of course they suspect that anyone who shoots better has a "secret edge" or something. So their attitude was cold and peeved.  I kind of thought it was humorous, because I had just shot the best round in quite a while, with old clubs that really looked good that day. My "perception" that these clubs could get it done boosted my confidence...and my putter. Still rocking the Pal 4 BeCu.
WIMB
TaylorMade Burner driver 10.5* REAX Reg
TaylorMade Burner 3-wood 15* REAX Reg
TaylorMade Burner 5-wood 18* REAX Reg
Adams Idea A12 #4 Hybrid 21* VTS Proforce
Hogan Apex Edge 4-E, SW, LW, Apex Edge 3 Graphite
Ping Pal 4 BeCu putter

SPECIAL ROUNDS
Various persimmon Driver, 3-wood, 5-wood combos
4-SW Ping Eye2 BeCu
Ping BeCu Anser Scottsdale putter

24



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors