Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Another friendly reminder: Superstrokes on eBay. Watch out! Fake city.


  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 shellbmb

shellbmb

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40168
  • Joined: 09/30/2007
  • Location:ATX
  • Ebay ID:shellbmb
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:42 PM

Took a chance on a grey/black mid-slim 2.0 since they are hard to find.  Found a reputable seller with 100% feedback and tons of positive feedback on SS grips.  So I bought two.  Got them in the mail and immediately something felt off.  Really slimy and WAY too light.  They were both 42g!!  I'll accept a tolerance of +/- 1g, but 8g??  Thankfully the seller didn't ask any questions and promptly refunded my money.  Like they say, if it's too good to be true, then it likely is.  

I guess in China you can pretty much counterfeit anything.  I love the Land Rover and Range Rover cars they just blatantly copy.  Hilarious!

Taylormade M2 8.5 Fujikura Atmos Black 6x
Taylormade M2 15 Accra Tour Z ST 75
Titeist 816h2 19 Fuji Motore Speeder HB 8.8
Titleist CB/AP2 4-PW Steelfiber i110 Stiff
Vokey SM6 Raw 50/56/60 Modus Tour 120 S
Taylormade Spider Black (DJ)

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 zip7111

zip7111

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 768
  • Joined: 05/24/2005
  • Location:Wisconsin
GolfWRX Likes : 161

Posted 15 August 2017 - 08:21 PM

How about posting a link to the auction so nobody else gets taken?

2

#3 jli2636

jli2636

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129436
  • Joined: 05/24/2011
  • Location:Columbia, MO
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 246

Posted 16 August 2017 - 08:43 AM

View Postzip7111, on 15 August 2017 - 08:21 PM, said:

How about posting a link to the auction so nobody else gets taken?

Or just never buy grips on ebay

3

#4 Yanki01

Yanki01

    VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,571 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58157
  • Joined: 06/17/2008
  • Location:Corpus Christi, TX
  • Handicap:5.7
GolfWRX Likes : 1652

Posted 16 August 2017 - 09:01 AM

pics? link? seller name?
915D2 Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
712u 4i Recoil F4 110
714 AP2 5-PW Nippon Modus3 Tour 105x
SM6 52.08F, 56.08M & 60.10S grind w/ DGx100 (8i shafts)
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 34/350G


WITB || Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec

4

#5 truffleshuffle

truffleshuffle

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104991
  • Joined: 03/18/2010
  • Location:Portsmouth, VA
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:28 PM

Yes, please provide a link or the seller's name. I just purchased one on eBay, so I am curious.


5

#6 bearcatnut

bearcatnut

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 156045
  • Joined: 01/18/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 100

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:52 PM

How will a fake grip effect your game?  I've always wondered why this is a big deal.  Fake clubs are self explanatory, but fake grips?  Enlighten me please.

6

#7 clamberto

clamberto

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 241873
  • Joined: 03/30/2013
  • Handicap:2.8
GolfWRX Likes : 111

Posted 16 August 2017 - 07:20 PM

View Postbearcatnut, on 16 August 2017 - 05:52 PM, said:

How will a fake grip effect your game?  I've always wondered why this is a big deal.  Fake clubs are self explanatory, but fake grips?  Enlighten me please.

Seriously?

They wear out quickly.
They force OEM's to charge more for their products to recoup lost revenue AND lost R&D expense.
In this specific case 8 grams of weight can make a meaningful difference in SW.
They smell like crap.

But other than that they're great.

7

#8 bearcatnut

bearcatnut

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 156045
  • Joined: 01/18/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 100

Posted 16 August 2017 - 07:52 PM

View Postclamberto, on 16 August 2017 - 07:20 PM, said:

View Postbearcatnut, on 16 August 2017 - 05:52 PM, said:

How will a fake grip effect your game?  I've always wondered why this is a big deal.  Fake clubs are self explanatory, but fake grips?  Enlighten me please.

Seriously?

They wear out quickly.
They force OEM's to charge more for their products to recoup lost revenue AND lost R&D expense.
In this specific case 8 grams of weight can make a meaningful difference in SW.
They smell like crap.

But other than that they're great.
lol
Alrighty

8

#9 GoIrish17

GoIrish17

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,085 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 157931
  • Joined: 01/26/2012
  • Location:Cuyahoga Falls, OH
GolfWRX Likes : 2434

Posted 16 August 2017 - 08:07 PM

View Postjli2636, on 16 August 2017 - 08:43 AM, said:

View Postzip7111, on 15 August 2017 - 08:21 PM, said:

How about posting a link to the auction so nobody else gets taken?

Or just never buy grips on ebay

There's plenty of reputable sellers of grips on eBay. There's just none selling for significantly less than anywhere else. It's not an eBay thing, it's a "too good to be true" thing. If someone's selling a grip that costs $20 everywhere else, the $12 one is probably not kosher.

*edit- also filter your searches to North America. It will help remove Chinese fakes.

Edited by GoIrish17, 16 August 2017 - 08:07 PM.

Driver: TaylorMade M2 ('16) 10.5° Matrix Speed Rulz Type C Prototype (VLCT Sp graphics)
Fairway: Aeroburner TP 15
° Diamana D+ 70 Limited
Hybrid: Callaway X2Hot Pro 18° Speeder 8.8 TS
Hybrid: Adams DHy 21° Speeder 9.8 TS
Irons: Srixon 545 5-pw Recoil 110
Wedges: Vokey SM5 Raw 48.5°, 54°, 58° KBS 610 125
Putter: Tad Moore Pro 1S prototype
oil can sight dot
Scotty AOP Newport oil can sight dot

WITB
: http://www.golfwrx.c...sh17s-new-witb/

9

#10 shellbmb

shellbmb

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40168
  • Joined: 09/30/2007
  • Location:ATX
  • Ebay ID:shellbmb
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 16 August 2017 - 09:37 PM

It was "palmtreepromotions."  But they were very nice and quick to refund.  They said their distributor claimed they were real.  Here's a link:

http://www.ebay.com/...qYAAOSwLVZVwQtG

I also asked another seller (midwestgolfandmore), whose feedback was also 100% with tons of SS sales, if their product was legit and they said they've had issues with their distributor as well so they couldn't be 100% sure.  

Sure, they are just grips, but comparing this one to a real one I bought at Golfsmith there is a huge difference.  The texture is very different and it was very light.

Edited by shellbmb, 16 August 2017 - 09:38 PM.

Taylormade M2 8.5 Fujikura Atmos Black 6x
Taylormade M2 15 Accra Tour Z ST 75
Titeist 816h2 19 Fuji Motore Speeder HB 8.8
Titleist CB/AP2 4-PW Steelfiber i110 Stiff
Vokey SM6 Raw 50/56/60 Modus Tour 120 S
Taylormade Spider Black (DJ)

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 truffleshuffle

truffleshuffle

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104991
  • Joined: 03/18/2010
  • Location:Portsmouth, VA
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:27 AM

View Postshellbmb, on 16 August 2017 - 09:37 PM, said:

It was "palmtreepromotions."  But they were very nice and quick to refund.  They said their distributor claimed they were real.  Here's a link:

http://www.ebay.com/...qYAAOSwLVZVwQtG

I also asked another seller (midwestgolfandmore), whose feedback was also 100% with tons of SS sales, if their product was legit and they said they've had issues with their distributor as well so they couldn't be 100% sure.  

Sure, they are just grips, but comparing this one to a real one I bought at Golfsmith there is a huge difference.  The texture is very different and it was very light.

Thanks for the info. I didn't purchase from that seller, so hopefully I am good.  I'll update everyone if mine turns out to be fake as well.

11

#12 AC-Golf

AC-Golf

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136138
  • Joined: 08/11/2011
  • Location:St Joseph, MI
  • Handicap:3
  • Ebay ID:333bac2333
GolfWRX Likes : 60

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:36 PM

I just bought one on eBay because i couldn't find the color I wanted anywhere else. It feels really light. Close to 40g vs 50g so I think it's fake. Any other way to tell?

Edited by AC-Golf, 12 October 2017 - 07:54 PM.

Callaway Epic SZ 10.5 - Rogue Silver 70S
Titleist 913F 17* - PXv 6.0
Callaway XHot Pro Hyb 16 & 20 - PXv 6.0
Bridgestone J15 CB 5-PW - RIP Tour 90 R
Bridgestone J15 50 - RIP Tour 115 R
Miura 54, 57C - RIP Tour 115 R
Byron Morgan DH89

12

#13 Yanki01

Yanki01

    VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,571 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58157
  • Joined: 06/17/2008
  • Location:Corpus Christi, TX
  • Handicap:5.7
GolfWRX Likes : 1652

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:23 AM

View PostAC-Golf, on 12 October 2017 - 05:36 PM, said:

I just bought one on eBay because i couldn't find the color I wanted anywhere else. It feels really light. Close to 40g vs 50g so I think it's fake. Any other way to tell?

did you weigh it? pics?
915D2 Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
712u 4i Recoil F4 110
714 AP2 5-PW Nippon Modus3 Tour 105x
SM6 52.08F, 56.08M & 60.10S grind w/ DGx100 (8i shafts)
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 34/350G


WITB || Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec

13



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors