Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

I tried the new 718 AP2's and AP3's


540 replies to this topic

#511 snagy2000

snagy2000

    Tour Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 960 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9545
  • Joined: 01/10/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 303

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:43 PM

 Beeez, on 12 October 2017 - 07:13 PM, said:

 blehnhard, on 12 October 2017 - 03:25 PM, said:

I specified use of "lighter heads" on my order (+1/2") to bring SW in at D3/D2.  Have had clubs for about 3 weeks now, but no opportunity to test them out due to back issues or to get them on a scale.

Just swinging them lightly around the house (about all I can do is 3/4 ish half speed swings, but they don't feel "heavy" to me.

Bruce

While on the phone with Titleist about a Vokey wedge question I was also told that they have "light" and  "heavy" heads for their clubs like the AP2 but not for Vokey wedges.  Not sure if they are manufactured this way or if they are just sorted by weight after manufacture but I found it interesting.

I wish I would have known this. My SW is D1.5 on all my irons. Not liking that aspect about them. Way too light for me.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#512 ace036

ace036

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,671 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13928
  • Joined: 04/03/2006
  • Handicap:0.9
GolfWRX Likes : 156

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:26 PM

 snagy2000, on 12 October 2017 - 07:43 PM, said:

 Beeez, on 12 October 2017 - 07:13 PM, said:

 blehnhard, on 12 October 2017 - 03:25 PM, said:

I specified use of "lighter heads" on my order (+1/2") to bring SW in at D3/D2.  Have had clubs for about 3 weeks now, but no opportunity to test them out due to back issues or to get them on a scale.

Just swinging them lightly around the house (about all I can do is 3/4 ish half speed swings, but they don't feel "heavy" to me.

Bruce

While on the phone with Titleist about a Vokey wedge question I was also told that they have "light" and  "heavy" heads for their clubs like the AP2 but not for Vokey wedges.  Not sure if they are manufactured this way or if they are just sorted by weight after manufacture but I found it interesting.

I wish I would have known this. My SW is D1.5 on all my irons. Not liking that aspect about them. Way too light for me.

Snagy, which irons are you referring to and do you have?  The 718 AP2 or AP3?
Titleist 917D2 12° - Fubuki Tour 63x
Titleist 917F2 16.5° - Fubuki Tour 73x
Titleist 917F2 21° - Fubuki AX f75x
Titleist 718 AP3 (4-P) - True Temper AMT Black s300

Titleist SM6 50.12F (49°)- True Temper AMT Black s300
Titleist SM6 54.10V - True Temper AMT Black s300
Titleist SM6 60.10V (59°) - True Temper AMT Black s300
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.6

2

#513 snagy2000

snagy2000

    Tour Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 960 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9545
  • Joined: 01/10/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 303

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:41 PM

 ace036, on 12 October 2017 - 08:26 PM, said:

 snagy2000, on 12 October 2017 - 07:43 PM, said:

 Beeez, on 12 October 2017 - 07:13 PM, said:

 blehnhard, on 12 October 2017 - 03:25 PM, said:

I specified use of "lighter heads" on my order (+1/2") to bring SW in at D3/D2.  Have had clubs for about 3 weeks now, but no opportunity to test them out due to back issues or to get them on a scale.

Just swinging them lightly around the house (about all I can do is 3/4 ish half speed swings, but they don't feel "heavy" to me.

Bruce

While on the phone with Titleist about a Vokey wedge question I was also told that they have "light" and  "heavy" heads for their clubs like the AP2 but not for Vokey wedges.  Not sure if they are manufactured this way or if they are just sorted by weight after manufacture but I found it interesting.

I wish I would have known this. My SW is D1.5 on all my irons. Not liking that aspect about them. Way too light for me.

Snagy, which irons are you referring to and do you have?  The 718 AP2 or AP3?

AP2

3

#514 youngwaldo

youngwaldo

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8465
  • Joined: 12/07/2005
  • Location:NJ
GolfWRX Likes : 311

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:29 AM

 snagy2000, on 12 October 2017 - 08:41 PM, said:

 ace036, on 12 October 2017 - 08:26 PM, said:

 snagy2000, on 12 October 2017 - 07:43 PM, said:

 Beeez, on 12 October 2017 - 07:13 PM, said:

 blehnhard, on 12 October 2017 - 03:25 PM, said:

I specified use of "lighter heads" on my order (+1/2") to bring SW in at D3/D2.  Have had clubs for about 3 weeks now, but no opportunity to test them out due to back issues or to get them on a scale.

Just swinging them lightly around the house (about all I can do is 3/4 ish half speed swings, but they don't feel "heavy" to me.

Bruce

While on the phone with Titleist about a Vokey wedge question I was also told that they have "light" and  "heavy" heads for their clubs like the AP2 but not for Vokey wedges.  Not sure if they are manufactured this way or if they are just sorted by weight after manufacture but I found it interesting.

I wish I would have known this. My SW is D1.5 on all my irons. Not liking that aspect about them. Way too light for me.

Snagy, which irons are you referring to and do you have?  The 718 AP2 or AP3?

AP2

I am going to order my AP2 with a D3.5 - D4 swing weight.  This feels best for me because its what I had all my golfing career.

Wk
TM M1 2017 9.5 set higher seting Fujikura Pro 73x 44.25"   TITLEIST 915 D4 TENSEI WHITE 45"
TITLEIST 915F Rogue Black 70s
TITLEIST 816H 19* Rogue Black 85H2 s
TITLEIST 916 CB 4-6 N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 120 s
TITLEIST 916 MB 7-9 N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 120 s
VOKEY SM6 4608F  (bent 47*)N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 120 s New one on its way
VOKEY SM6 5208F N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 120 s  New one on its way
VOKEY SM6 5608M N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 120 s   New one on its way
VOKEY SM6 6008M N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 120 s   New one on its way
Cameron & Crown Newport
ProV1x

4

#515 youngwaldo

youngwaldo

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8465
  • Joined: 12/07/2005
  • Location:NJ
GolfWRX Likes : 311

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:50 AM

 Curt_, on 12 October 2017 - 08:11 AM, said:

can't wait to try out the ap2s... heard the 718 CBs are just as forgiving as the 716AP2s, so I might go with those.

I was told by my sales rep that they are longer with same specs as the last ones due to new technology.

Wk

TM M1 2017 9.5 set higher seting Fujikura Pro 73x 44.25"   TITLEIST 915 D4 TENSEI WHITE 45"
TITLEIST 915F Rogue Black 70s
TITLEIST 816H 19* Rogue Black 85H2 s
TITLEIST 916 CB 4-6 N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 120 s
TITLEIST 916 MB 7-9 N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 120 s
VOKEY SM6 4608F  (bent 47*)N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 120 s New one on its way
VOKEY SM6 5208F N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 120 s  New one on its way
VOKEY SM6 5608M N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 120 s   New one on its way
VOKEY SM6 6008M N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 120 s   New one on its way
Cameron & Crown Newport
ProV1x

5

#516 Carolina Golfer 2

Carolina Golfer 2

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,902 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9960
  • Joined: 01/16/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 488

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:08 PM

So after the TT Trial Event and a local fitting, I've got my set on order. It's not the combo that most on here are choosing. But for me the AP1 was just so forgiving and long, it would have been foolish to not have some of them in the bag, and the AP2 will do very nicely at the end of the bag.

So I have on order:

AP1 4-7 with the AMT Red shaft +1/2 and 3 degrees upright.
AP2 7-P with the same shaft and specs.

Why 2 7 irons you may ask? Due to loft differences, it worked out perfect, the AP1 7 is 30 degrees, and the AP2 is 34 degrees, with the 9 at 42 and P at 46, which leads perfectly into my SM6's which are 50,54 and 58.

Really looking forward to getting them in play.

Edited by Carolina Golfer 2, 13 October 2017 - 03:16 PM.

Titleist 917 D3 9.5 Diamana Red S+ 50g
Titleist F2 917 18* Diamana 60g S+
Titleist 816 H1 21* Diamana S+
Srixon Z565 6/7 and Z765 8-P NS Modus3 105 Regular
Titleist SM6 50.8, 54.8 and 58.12
Scotty Cameron X7M 35"

6

#517 gvogel

gvogel

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,108 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37680
  • Joined: 08/19/2007
  • Location:Buffalo, NY
  • Ebay ID:dbvogey
GolfWRX Likes : 1211

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:37 PM

 Carolina Golfer 2, on 13 October 2017 - 02:08 PM, said:

So after the TT Trial Event and a local fitting, I've got my set on order. It's not the combo that most on here are choosing. But for me the AP1 was just so forgiving and long, it would have been foolish to not have some of them in the bag, and the AP2 will do very nicely at the end of the bag.

So I have on order:

AP1 4-7 with the AMT Red shaft +1/2 and 3 degrees upright.
AP2 7-P with the same shaft and specs.

Why 2 7 irons you may ask? Due to loft differences, it worked out perfect, the AP1 7 is 34 degrees, and the AP2 is 38 degrees, with the 9 at 42 and P at 46, which leads perfectly into my SM6's which are 50,54 and 58.

Really looking forward to getting them in play.

AP1 7-iron is 30*; AP2 7-iron is 34*.  You have quoted the lofts for the 8-irons.

However, I see what you are up to there.

One of the nice things about playing a combo set of AP1 712 and AP2 714 is that the lofts are the same for each set.  If I were to change, I would go AP1 (718) 6-iron, AP3 7-iron to 9-iron, and AP2 (714) PW.  I can deal with the gaps.
On Sundays, I used to play hickory

7

#518 Carolina Golfer 2

Carolina Golfer 2

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,902 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9960
  • Joined: 01/16/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 488

Posted 13 October 2017 - 03:16 PM

 gvogel, on 13 October 2017 - 02:37 PM, said:

 Carolina Golfer 2, on 13 October 2017 - 02:08 PM, said:

So after the TT Trial Event and a local fitting, I've got my set on order. It's not the combo that most on here are choosing. But for me the AP1 was just so forgiving and long, it would have been foolish to not have some of them in the bag, and the AP2 will do very nicely at the end of the bag.

So I have on order:

AP1 4-7 with the AMT Red shaft +1/2 and 3 degrees upright.
AP2 7-P with the same shaft and specs.

Why 2 7 irons you may ask? Due to loft differences, it worked out perfect, the AP1 7 is 34 degrees, and the AP2 is 38 degrees, with the 9 at 42 and P at 46, which leads perfectly into my SM6's which are 50,54 and 58.

Really looking forward to getting them in play.

AP1 7-iron is 30*; AP2 7-iron is 34*.  You have quoted the lofts for the 8-irons.

However, I see what you are up to there.

One of the nice things about playing a combo set of AP1 712 and AP2 714 is that the lofts are the same for each set.  If I were to change, I would go AP1 (718) 6-iron, AP3 7-iron to 9-iron, and AP2 (714) PW.  I can deal with the gaps.
You are right, that's because I orignally was going to go with the two 8's but decided to move it down to 7, and still had the 8 lofts on my mind.  Thanks for catching that, I'll edit it now.  

I went in really wanting a full set of the AP3's and just didn't love them and wasn't hitting them consistently.  So then I tired the AP and loved them.  Was going to go full AP1 when the a fitter buddy of mine told me try the 2's and I was able to handle them fine.   Not too dissimilar to my Srixon 765 in the 8-P.    So that's how I ended up this route.
Titleist 917 D3 9.5 Diamana Red S+ 50g
Titleist F2 917 18* Diamana 60g S+
Titleist 816 H1 21* Diamana S+
Srixon Z565 6/7 and Z765 8-P NS Modus3 105 Regular
Titleist SM6 50.8, 54.8 and 58.12
Scotty Cameron X7M 35"

8

#519 MrShield

MrShield

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 405616
  • Joined: 12/13/2015
  • Location:Sweden
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 13 October 2017 - 04:53 PM

Ordered one AP2 set and one AP3 set.

Titleist just called me and said they could build my AP2 set to my specs, but the AP3 set they could only bring down the swing weight to D3. But if they were allowed to change to another grip than I ordered they could get them down to D2.

That's what I call service and quality! I bet many other companies just had built the club to the specs I specified and then sent to me with swing weight D3 and "hope for the best".

9

#520 Tony_Ireland

Tony_Ireland

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130133
  • Joined: 06/04/2011
  • Location:Ireland
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 116

Posted 14 October 2017 - 06:54 PM

Got my tmb from titleist yesterday. Straight to the course with it, no adjustment time with it just straight up killing it. To me, looks like maybe a tiny bit more offset and slightly lower flight. Pairs lovely with pxi 6.5. Crackin club very versatile


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#521 jbole267

jbole267

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 458172
  • Joined: 03/10/2017
  • Location:Canada
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 14 October 2017 - 11:07 PM

Very interested in getting a set of Titleist 718 Ap2. Can anyone here compare the feel to the 714? Used to game those and if these feel better than them they could be a winner next season.

11

#522 jrshelby

jrshelby

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121122
  • Joined: 01/26/2011
  • Ebay ID:Juniorshelby
GolfWRX Likes : 159

Posted 15 October 2017 - 07:43 AM

View PostTony_Ireland, on 14 October 2017 - 06:54 PM, said:

Got my tmb from titleist yesterday. Straight to the course with it, no adjustment time with it just straight up killing it. To me, looks like maybe a tiny bit more offset and slightly lower flight. Pairs lovely with pxi 6.5. Crackin club very versatile
Received my 2 T-MB the other day but have not hit it yet. First impression was WAY more offset even though Titleist says offset is the same as the 716 T-MB. I'm thinking the hosel blend is the culprit to why I see/feel there is more offset though. I got mine with the Tour V X FWIW.

917 D3 8.5° Rogue Silver 125 MSI 70 TX
917 F3 15° Rogue Silver 125 MSI 80 TX

718 T-MB 2 KBS Tour V X

718 CB 4-6, MB 7-PW KBS Tour X

Vokey TC 50 F, 54 + 58 M KBS Tour Hi-Rev 2.0 S
2016 Newport 2


12

#523 Tony_Ireland

Tony_Ireland

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130133
  • Joined: 06/04/2011
  • Location:Ireland
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 116

Posted 15 October 2017 - 12:47 PM

View Postjrshelby, on 15 October 2017 - 07:43 AM, said:

View PostTony_Ireland, on 14 October 2017 - 06:54 PM, said:

Got my tmb from titleist yesterday. Straight to the course with it, no adjustment time with it just straight up killing it. To me, looks like maybe a tiny bit more offset and slightly lower flight. Pairs lovely with pxi 6.5. Crackin club very versatile
Received my 2 T-MB the other day but have not hit it yet. First impression was WAY more offset even though Titleist says offset is the same as the 716 T-MB. I'm thinking the hosel blend is the culprit to why I see/feel there is more offset though. I got mine with the Tour V X FWIW.

Yep could be right, ur gonna love it though. Its a flying machine. Flys through the wind

13

#524 freddiec

freddiec

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,933 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2258
  • Joined: 07/07/2005
  • Location:North Shore, Massachusetts, USA
GolfWRX Likes : 930

Posted 16 October 2017 - 03:27 PM

I would love to hear from loyal AP2 players how the 716 plays compared to
The new 718.  I am wanting to replace my 10 yr old Mizuno a w a set of AP2. Any feedback on the 716?? I recently hit the 718 and it feels and performed great . I have MP60s w S300 shafts

14

#525 bladehunter

bladehunter

    Cubs win ! Cubs win!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,136 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291449
  • Joined: 01/12/2014
  • Location:south carolina
  • Handicap:NONE
GolfWRX Likes : 11408

Posted 18 October 2017 - 07:01 AM

Couldn't see any upgrade from 716 to 718 personally.  716 is a good iron if you don't want a ton of bounce and hit the center of the face

17 M1 440 8.5 ( tour issue head ) Fuji Atmos Black 6X ( limited WRX special addition 16/100)
17 M1 15* (tour issue head)  Graphite Design ADDI 8X  
Titleist Custom Grind 2 iron X100
Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
Vokey sm6 copper 53 Vokey 300 series 59   S400
Cameron Newport Beach CT
B330S

15

#526 bill1710

bill1710

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 453320
  • Joined: 01/29/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 18 October 2017 - 08:14 AM

View Postdave_3, on 25 August 2017 - 12:51 PM, said:

View Postgators78, on 25 August 2017 - 10:19 AM, said:

This is a broader rant on the club companies, but for this thread specifically on Titleist AP3s and AP1s...

Understand the long irons perfectly fine, but what is the point of a 43* pitching wedge? Here's my new marketing idea, I'll make a super high end set that starts at 25* and drops 1 degree per club. Guaranteed 40 yards farther on your 9 iron.

the pw is 3 degrees stronger than the ap2 yet it launches exactly the same as the ap2 at 25.7 degrees.  check out the rick shiels review.    how else can they keep the launch down?    golfers can't ask for a forgiving iron and then moan thats the loft is too low.   they have strong lofts for a reason.  how many times do people need to hear this
Not enough times
Taylormade M1 '17 8.5*
Cobra F7 3-4
Titleist 816 H2 19*
Srixon U45 23*
Ping ie1 5-UW
Ping Tour Gorge 54*, 58*
Odyssey O-Works #7

16

#527 OldAndLame

OldAndLame

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 308487
  • Joined: 04/14/2014
  • Location:UK
  • Handicap:8
  • Ebay ID:OldAndLame
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 18 October 2017 - 08:59 AM

Played 3 rounds with mine now and loving them.  AP1 4 & 5, AP3 6-48 with PX 6.0 Rifles, great straight flight and good distance. Actually shot level with my handicap each and that was with hitting my driver like a wanker, get that back this weekend with an inch off the shaft and a new grip to hopefully sort that out.

I didn't notice the heads being heavy but a few of the members that have picked them up have commented on them feeling heavy.
Cobra F7+ 9.5 HAZRDUS Red
Titleist 915H 19.75
Titleist AP1 3,4
Titleist AP3 6-48
Cleveland RTX 2.0 CB 50, 54
Cleveland RTX 2.0 60
Odyssey Versa #7
Pro-V1

17

#528 Rpete33

Rpete33

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 476032
  • Joined: 07/22/2017
  • Location:South Dakota
  • Handicap:18
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 18 October 2017 - 10:04 AM

Interested in the 718 line, can anyone tell me how big the difference between the AP2 and the CB

18

#529 shiney28

shiney28

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 221959
  • Joined: 01/15/2013
  • Location:UK
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 18 October 2017 - 01:12 PM

Had my fitting for the 718s today at the National Fitting Centre in the UK.
Have played the 712 AP2 with DG S300, and currently have the 714 AP2 which started off with KBS Tour S, and a year or so back switched those shafts out for DG XP 105 stiff.
Both of these sets did not involve professional fitting, and were standard loft, lie & length.
Anyway today I have left the fitting and ordered the following;
718 AP3
4-PW
Plus the AP3 gap wedge
Project X LX 6.0 stiff
1/2 inch longer
1 Deg flat

Looking forward to getting them on the course & hoping to get my 4.5 handicap back down nearer to where it was 2 years ago at 2.6.

Edited by shiney28, 18 October 2017 - 01:20 PM.

Titleist 915 D2 9.5* (A1 setting) - 44.5"
Titleist 915F 16.5* (A1 setting) - 42.5"
Titleist 915H 21* (A1 setting)
Titleist 714 AP2 (4-PW)
Vokey SM5 (50, 54, 58)
Scotty California Futura X7M

19

#530 PerseveringGolf

PerseveringGolf

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,721 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 293167
  • Joined: 01/23/2014
  • Location:between a chair and monitor!
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 639

Posted 18 October 2017 - 02:55 PM

View Postshiney28, on 18 October 2017 - 01:12 PM, said:

Had my fitting for the 718s today at the National Fitting Centre in the UK.
Have played the 712 AP2 with DG S300, and currently have the 714 AP2 which started off with KBS Tour S, and a year or so back switched those shafts out for DG XP 105 stiff.
Both of these sets did not involve professional fitting, and were standard loft, lie & length.
Anyway today I have left the fitting and ordered the following;
718 AP3
4-PW
Plus the AP3 gap wedge
Project X LX 6.0 stiff
1/2 inch longer
1 Deg flat

Looking forward to getting them on the course & hoping to get my 4.5 handicap back down nearer to where it was 2 years ago at 2.6.
yup, new clubs will do just that!


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#531 jackjbrowne

jackjbrowne

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483744
  • Joined: 10/07/2017
  • Location:NE, Ohio
  • Handicap:12.8
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 18 October 2017 - 06:06 PM

A true novice question

as stated in a previous post on this thread, I’m pretty ignorant when it comes to the technical talk of shafts, lie angles etc... I received my first professional fitting and was fitted with the Modus 3 Tour 105 shafts. I really love how my new AP3’s have performed two rounds in. Can someone tell me what this shaft even represents? I don’t see it mentioned at all in this long thread.

21

#532 Dpavs

Dpavs

    OverWRX'ed

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133444
  • Joined: 07/18/2011
  • Location:Michigan
GolfWRX Likes : 1445

Posted 18 October 2017 - 08:44 PM

View Postjackjbrowne, on 18 October 2017 - 06:06 PM, said:

A true novice question

as stated in a previous post on this thread, I’m pretty ignorant when it comes to the technical talk of shafts, lie angles etc... I received my first professional fitting and was fitted with the Modus 3 Tour 105 shafts. I really love how my new AP3’s have performed two rounds in. Can someone tell me what this shaft even represents? I don’t see it mentioned at all in this long thread.

It's a lighter weight mid spin, mid launch shaft. A very solid choice for many golfers imho.

22

#533 freddiec

freddiec

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,933 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2258
  • Joined: 07/07/2005
  • Location:North Shore, Massachusetts, USA
GolfWRX Likes : 930

Posted 18 October 2017 - 08:51 PM

AP2 vs CB,  CB won’t be as forgiving on Mishits and most likely won’t go as long .  I compared the AP2 today to my current MP60 irons and the AP flew 3 to 6 yards further. On occasion I hit a couple like 8 to 10 yds further . There must be a hot spot in the face. I like the 718 AP2. I also like the stock AMT shaft.

23

#534 jackjbrowne

jackjbrowne

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483744
  • Joined: 10/07/2017
  • Location:NE, Ohio
  • Handicap:12.8
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 18 October 2017 - 09:04 PM

View PostDpavs, on 18 October 2017 - 08:44 PM, said:

View Postjackjbrowne, on 18 October 2017 - 06:06 PM, said:

A true novice question

as stated in a previous post on this thread, I’m pretty ignorant when it comes to the technical talk of shafts, lie angles etc... I received my first professional fitting and was fitted with the Modus 3 Tour 105 shafts. I really love how my new AP3’s have performed two rounds in. Can someone tell me what this shaft even represents? I don’t see it mentioned at all in this long thread.

It's a lighter weight mid spin, mid launch shaft. A very solid choice for many golfers imho.

Thanks Dpavs.

24

#535 Rpete33

Rpete33

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 476032
  • Joined: 07/22/2017
  • Location:South Dakota
  • Handicap:18
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:32 AM

View Postfreddiec, on 18 October 2017 - 08:51 PM, said:

AP2 vs CB,  CB won’t be as forgiving on Mishits and most likely won’t go as long .  I compared the AP2 today to my current MP60 irons and the AP flew 3 to 6 yards further. On occasion I hit a couple like 8 to 10 yds further . There must be a hot spot in the face. I like the 718 AP2. I also like the stock AMT shaft.
Thanks, AP2 fits me better but damn I love the look of the cb


25

#536 jrshelby

jrshelby

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121122
  • Joined: 01/26/2011
  • Ebay ID:Juniorshelby
GolfWRX Likes : 159

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:07 AM

View PostRpete33, on 19 October 2017 - 06:32 AM, said:

View Postfreddiec, on 18 October 2017 - 08:51 PM, said:

AP2 vs CB,  CB won’t be as forgiving on Mishits and most likely won’t go as long .  I compared the AP2 today to my current MP60 irons and the AP flew 3 to 6 yards further. On occasion I hit a couple like 8 to 10 yds further . There must be a hot spot in the face. I like the 718 AP2. I also like the stock AMT shaft.
Thanks, AP2 fits me better but damn I love the look of the cb
I had 718 AP2 and now 718 CB and if anything, for me though, the CB is going further. I will say as a disclaimer they had completely different shafts though.

917 D3 8.5° Rogue Silver 125 MSI 70 TX
917 F3 15° Rogue Silver 125 MSI 80 TX

718 T-MB 2 KBS Tour V X

718 CB 4-6, MB 7-PW KBS Tour X

Vokey TC 50 F, 54 + 58 M KBS Tour Hi-Rev 2.0 S
2016 Newport 2


26

#537 lbhitter

lbhitter

    BadaPing BadaBing

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2346
  • Joined: 07/10/2005
  • Location:North Carolina
  • Ebay ID:LBHITTER
GolfWRX Likes : 60

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:13 AM

View Postlbhitter, on 21 September 2017 - 07:19 PM, said:

I took SamPGA1976's advice and hit the AP3 5-iron with Pro V1s tonight.  Also reshafted it with Steelfiber i95, one of my favorite Shafts.  

These two things really helped to make the AP3 shine.  Still a little clicky at impact, but that doesn't bother me.   The harshness I experienced earlier hitting range balls is gone.  

I really like the performance of this iron and I'm going to order a whole set.  

LB


I have been playing AP3s with Steelfiber i95s the last 3 weeks.  Every time I play these irons, I like them more.  They have a great trajectory, above average distance, and solid forgiveness.  I thought these were pretty harsh feeling with the stock AMTs, but the Steelfibers have helped them come alive.

LB
Epic Driver 9* Diamana S+ 60
Epic 3W 15* Diamana S+ 70
Epic 3H Diamana S+ 70 HY
Callaway Apex 4H Diamana S+ 80 HY
Titleist AP3 718 5-Pw Steelfiber i95 Stiff
Cleveland RTX3 52/56/60 KB 610
Odyssey O-Works 330M

27

#538 JJPIV

JJPIV

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 282175
  • Joined: 10/30/2013
  • Location:Bella Vista, AR
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted Yesterday, 01:14 PM

Has anyone picked up an AP3 3i to use as a DI or extended your set to 3i where you typically play a hybrid?  I just got mine in and am looking forward to getting it out to the course.
M1 440 9.5, Tensei Orange V2 60TX
M1 3 Wood, Tensei Pro White 70TX
M1 5 Wood White Tie 70S
816 H2 3 Hybrid, Hzrdus Black 85 6.5
716 T-MB 4i
716 AP2 5-PW
Vokey SM6 52, 58
Odyssey O-Works 2 Ball

28

#539 Carolina Golfer 2

Carolina Golfer 2

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,902 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9960
  • Joined: 01/16/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 488

Posted Yesterday, 01:48 PM

View PostJJPIV, on 21 October 2017 - 01:14 PM, said:

Has anyone picked up an AP3 3i to use as a DI or extended your set to 3i where you typically play a hybrid?  I just got mine in and am looking forward to getting it out to the course.
I have a buddy who uses the AP3 4 iron for thst.  About 230 off the tee with it.  He alps has a TMB 2 Iron for his 240 to 250.

Rest of the art is AP2.
Titleist 917 D3 9.5 Diamana Red S+ 50g
Titleist F2 917 18* Diamana 60g S+
Titleist 816 H1 21* Diamana S+
Srixon Z565 6/7 and Z765 8-P NS Modus3 105 Regular
Titleist SM6 50.8, 54.8 and 58.12
Scotty Cameron X7M 35"

29

#540 JJPIV

JJPIV

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 282175
  • Joined: 10/30/2013
  • Location:Bella Vista, AR
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted Yesterday, 02:17 PM

View PostCarolina Golfer 2, on 21 October 2017 - 01:48 PM, said:

I have a buddy who uses the AP3 4 iron for thst.  About 230 off the tee with it.  He alps has a TMB 2 Iron for his 240 to 250.

Rest of the art is AP2.

I have a TMB 4i now and looking forward to comparing the two.  If I move to a full set of 718, will likely combo 2/3 off the 5i.

M1 440 9.5, Tensei Orange V2 60TX
M1 3 Wood, Tensei Pro White 70TX
M1 5 Wood White Tie 70S
816 H2 3 Hybrid, Hzrdus Black 85 6.5
716 T-MB 4i
716 AP2 5-PW
Vokey SM6 52, 58
Odyssey O-Works 2 Ball

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors